pitting levity against gravity

POSTED: Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:56 pm

[WC: 362]

She looked powerful, Grievous thought, sitting atop the paint horse with the sword in her hand. Idrieus was the proper size for the stallion. He barely seemed to notice her weight, though she handled him far better these days now that she had more experience in the saddle. Having a proper rider helped Dama too, who thrived under strict instruction and took comfort in routine and discipline. Still, they needed further practice – and Grievous was eager to help Idrieus with something he understood.

How far can you lean? We should see what your reach is, he told the blonde rider. Idrieus was talented with a blade, but she would be limited with how close she could get while on horseback.

That was why Grievous had the staff. He would not risk the horse or his fiance and use a spear, but he had told her that sort of weapon would be most common. Any idiot could fasten a sharpened point to a stick. It would give them reach, and if Dama was injured it could be a costly error.

Grievous, taking advantage of the overcast day and cool breeze, had donned old armor well on its way towards disrepair. It would protect him from the sharp edge of the sword, and help soften any blows that might be suffered if Idrieus drove the horse too close to him when she charged. They had chosen a flat, open field away from common haunts and safe enough for the horse to run. The terrain would not always be safe, which was part of why they had elected against using the training ring (which Grievous thought too small for a horse) or a pasture (too distracting). The flatland field would do just fine, especially with the grass short from where grazing animals had plucked it.

He shifted the staff to point it towards them, showing exactly how far he could manage to swing. This wasn't about trickery or surprises. They were establishing variables in order to measure what was needed to win. Grievous wanted to ensure the Paladin every chance at success.

This meant the neither of them held back. It was only fair.

masks beneath masks until suddenly
the bare bloodless skull
Salsola
Ranger Apprentice
Mel
Luperci
supernova

POSTED: Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:59 am

My power's turned on
Starting right now I'll be strong

OOC: +400 words.

Her rapier was not the ideal weapon for this sort of combat. Such a thin weapon was better for on the ground, able to make quick forward movements on a target and wear something, or rather someone, down to the point where it could do more damage, or someone else with a much more sturdier weapon would be able to finish the job.

But for training such as this one, it seemed more a necessity for both of their safeties.

A weapon like this would still be able to do some amount of damage in passing, but with both the staff and armor that her fiancee was wearing, it wouldn't do anything to his body. Besides, a rapier would be a much lighter weapon to work with rather than a more fitting short sword. Likewise, there was little risk for the horse she sat on top of. Dama and her had grown used to one another, Grievous also having been the one to teach her how to properly ride the mount that had been gifted to her care.

She knew how to ride him, but mounted combat would be something new for the two of them entirely.

Idrieus focused on the man as he instructed her to see how far she would be able to lean, gauge how far her reach was. It would be good to get some more technical measurements down before either one of them started thinking about actually practicing the combat side.

The field had a fair amount of room, which made great for this kind of work. Turning Dama, she moved to one edge of the field, giving the horse a good amount of space. She brought the horse to a trot, giving her something a bit easier to work with. Moving the reins to one hand, she took her weapon in the other, leaning out to one side. The saddle under her was tight enough to know that it would not shift under her, so that was comforting.

Pulling herself back up she brought Dama back over to Grievous, "That wasn't the proper speed, but I'd say given the baseline, I could lean a fair amount of the saddle to get some reach, but I can't risk too much unless I want to fall off. Something like that would be for a last resort. I can try something at more of an actual run than a trot."

Idrieus Eternity

Salsola
The Inquisitor
Salena
Luperci The Price for Freedom More than a Warning
Karma's Gonna Come Collect Your Debt
smiles of plated GOLD

POSTED: Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:13 pm

[WC: 323]

With each motion, Grievous watched the way Idrieus moved her body. He had been given lessons as a boy and stood in on many others – by his parents, and later his aunt. Salvia had explained plenty to him. It was why he now rose to claim his role among the elite. Salsola had built its Shield first, with war upon them like fire. The Sanctum was empty now, cleansed as the curse had intended. Helena stood alone to manage their trade, just as he now did the pack's living resources.

How could they risk all the years their elders had put into such growth? It would be an insult. Grievous had resolved himself to his role just as he had resolved himself to live a life with few questions in it.

Idrieus forced him to be better. They built each other up in a new way, and he intended to ensure her – his – their legacy while the crucible was hot.

No, you should always try and stay on him if you're with him. If something dire happens, Dama will get you back. Let's see how close you need to get to strike. We'll just practice the same move until we get the space right. You can go as fast as you want. I'll go this way, he indicated with the staff. Just keep him going in the other direction.

Grievous smiled as he said this. Idrieus would certainly not run him over with the horse, but he wanted to ensure their positions clear. It would be humiliating if he was injured training with his soon-to-be-wife.

They separated again. Grievous took up a position towards the middle of the field, and hoisted the staff as if it were a spear. He would be an active defender. The whole point of such training was to give the three of them more to build upon before the need for such combat became real.

the bare bloodless skull
Salsola
Ranger Apprentice
Mel
Luperci
supernova

POSTED: Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:01 am

My power's turned on

Idrieus' mindset made it clear that she was still not entirely comfortable or used to engaging combat while on the back of a horse. Her own footing could help if she needed to extend her reach with her weapon, but when riding, there was the potential risk of falling off if she leaned to far, hence why she had stated it only being as a move for a last resort.

Grievous however, had been against the idea all together. His words carried to her, claiming that she should try to stay on him regardless. Dama would have her back. It was a bit hard to put one's faith in an animal, at least, one that was dependent on being a part of the combat. When it came to Cirsium, the bear could make a valuable partner, but usually never contributed on the battle field or could simply take care of itself.

The horse would have no choice but to be on the front lines if she were to bring him along with her.

The Paladin turned her gaze down to her fiancee, nodding to his idea as she put some distance between herself and him. Given the nature of their practice, it would be best not to have Dama running at a fast pace. Granted, training would need to occur while the dog woman and the horse were moving faster, in order to get used to timing out their moves against an enemy, but for the purposes of this exercise, all they needed was more adjustment, and therefore, a slower baseline.

When Idrieus had backed up enough, she turned the horse a bit to the side, putting some more distance at her side. The trot began again, weapon at the side as she made her advance. If she could figure out the distance that was optimal for her weapon of choice, then she could work at coming at him straight on and then turning to make the move.

Her body leaned, metal tapping on the wood of his staff as she passed by before circling back around, "The lean itself feels a bit awkward, but I suppose that is just from how new this is. I can do this a few more times and then try to increase the speed if you would feel comfortable with that." More speed would likely mean more force, as the window of opportunity would be much smaller. A quick strike would need to be made, and Grievous would need to be ready for it.

Idrieus Eternity

Salsola
The Inquisitor
Salena
smiles of plated GOLD

POSTED: Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:33 pm

[WC: 407]

From the moment she began moving he made himself forget she would soon be his wife. Instead, Grievous measured the position of her body atop the horse. He looked to see if her back bent, or if her hands were too high. Each motion was examined for flaws.

Idrieus wanted to be the best. For him to ensure she made her way to the top, Grievous had to treat her as he might any other student. For this purpose he made note of things he wanted her to change. Correcting her would need to happen before they could fully begin pushing the horse. Dama needed to understand Idrieus, and that meant she needed to fully communicate with him. Riding a horse was an active task. Dama was build for battle – he was unafraid of rushing towards Grievous or having a stick pointed at him, and indeed he seemed comfortable enough with Idrieus swinging her sword.

When Idrieus made her first attempt, the gray wolf took the strike of the rapier against his staff and stepped back. The blow felt stronger with the horse's speed behind it, even if Dama wasn't moving terribly fast yet. He made note of this too.

This is only how far you can lean, Grievous reminded her. He rolled his shoulder and made a tilting motion with his free hand. Find where you're comfortable leaning without going too far. Keep your heels back. It doesn't matter if you lean far because he'll get close to me, so find that spot that feels strongest. Here, he gestured to the spot below his chest, spreading his hand wide to illustrate that he meant her entire core. Stay strong here, so when you hit me you stay on him. It keeps your thighs strong. Let's go at that speed again, and then let's go fast. Don't let him rest. I'll be ready, he promised, offering her a faint smile. He hoped that this would push the horse and rider. The sooner they learned the motion, the sooner they could begin learning how to react to one another when it happened.

Grievous returned to his earlier position. Idrieus and the horse made another pass at him. He felt the impact of her following attempts firmly, and could smell Dama beginning to sweat when she rode past.

He was waiting for first real strike. Grievous was eager to see what the Paladin and her horse could manage.

the bare bloodless skull
Salsola
Ranger Apprentice
Mel
Luperci
supernova

POSTED: Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:08 pm

My power's turned on

Idrieus had to admit that she was being more cautious with this training than she had with any others in the arena. When it came to her own students, she saw no better training than when they had to suffer injuries like they would in battle. It was a good way to learn, and think smarter about how to move and make openings in an opponent when an actual risk was added to the mix. There were enough healers in the kingdom to make up for anything that came of these sessions, and they were never anything serious.

In a case like this one where a horse was involve, despite Dama having experience with running in battle. Being run over by an animal of thise size would cause something more than a cut by her own weapon.

Eyes focused on her target, the blade coming into contact with the staff before she looped the horse around. True to form, Grievous had plenty to say about her performance. Part of this whole thing was being used to Dama and allowing the horse to work with her rather than her trying to control so much about the situation. She had to trust her mount just as the horse had to trust her so to speak.

He would not let her down so long as she could lend him what he was looking for.

The Paladin turned her attention to the pointers he had given her, taking a moment to go through some motions while the movement of the horse under her had slowed down. She nodded as he instructed her to come at him again first at the same speed and then a faster one. One thing had struck her as a test first.

Returning the rapier to her sheath, she took hold of the reins, "I want to test one thing first before I go again with my weapon." Giving Dama a kick, she directed him in the direction of the pale man, giving him another one to help him pick up the pace. If he was so used to this, then she needed to see just what Dama could do for her.

She tested the way the horse moved, in terms of towards her fiancee and then when he moved to the side. She turned him back around, returning the rapier to her hand, more confident this time, "Alright Grievous. Get ready."

She came again, this time taking into account the prior test. She allowed Dama some more freedom to move on his own, strengthening the lower sections of her body as she leaned out, the blade coming again towards the male.

Idrieus Eternity

Salsola
The Inquisitor
Salena
smiles of plated GOLD

Salsola