Seeking Light in the Darkness

Possible Joining

POSTED: Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:31 pm

➧➧ Come one come all! Rp driven dive into Salsola
⟿ Word Count: [~420]
⟿ Date: 09/11
⟿ Time: 7pm
⟿ Form: Optime ⟿ Gear: Outfit, Sword, Travelpack

The nights had begun to grow longer and colder. It made the shadows seem more menacing somehow. It was likely the intermittent lack of sleep that Atlas caught when his dreams grew violent and vivid. He used the pleasant idea of a safe feeling when he slept and a warm place to do it when toiling about where to go and what he ought to do. It seemed simple now. He needed a home. There had to be decent creatures in these lands. There were few where he came from but there were some. It had to be the same here. He had to find them for the brutal reality of it was winter would not be kind. The man knew himself a shabby hunter to begin with. When there was far less to hunt he would go from barely getting along to starving.

The wolfdog knew himself well enough to see the signs. Despite his physical activity being as frequent as average if not more so in his attempts to survive his body had grown slimmer. By no means was he scrawny yet but with time… there were a lot of ways to go but slow and painful was far from his first choice.

The morning was filled with an attempt at hunting. Fruitless as it was it only served to further Atlas’ motivation to find a group. An afternoon spent drilling with his dear ‘Dragon blade’ turned into a cool early evening spent grooming and procrastinating. What needed to be done would be done but only at the right time. Evening was appropriate he figured, so long as it wasn’t too late. Everyone would be getting back to their dens… or houses… or whatever and be relaxed. Relatable. Perhaps receptive.

The sun was low enough now that it became all but concealed by the trees here. It seemed better to approach the border from these wilds rather than the nearby city of ‘Amherst’. Fewer places to hide. More neutral ground. Atlas glanced to the mighty mountain towering up in the distance to his left and tried to slow his excited heart. There was no more time or need to draw it out or avoid it. This had to be done. With a cool, deep breath filled with the piney scent of foreign forest Atlas let his voice ring loudly over the forest canopy. One call. Clearly. He had overthought this whole thing, maybe, but now it was done. So he watched and waited

POST. "Speech". Thinking.

Flames alight the trees
spread to fallen leaves
now they're right upon me

Template by Kitty, image by Me, Lyrics by Shaed

Last edited by Atlas S. on Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Loners
Wolfdog
Atlas
Luperci

POSTED: Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:37 am

Khael shrugged on the dark kaftan, the material rough but warm as it covered her thin dark fur. Autumn was on the horizon, and she had precious few months before the godawful cold returned – her third winter in Salsola, she realized.

The Lykoi woman had risen far in the ranks in her time despite her lack of focused ambition, though now she found herself stagnating while other, more aggressively political, Salsolans climbed higher and higher. Katinka assured her that honest work would see them reach the Faction tier, but all Khael could think of were debts and the threat of those beneath them in rank.

It made for frigid silence as they walked, arm-in-arm, through the trails of the pine forest.

Katinka was watching her; Khael could see it out of the corner of her eye. The fluffy wolfdog looked down and mussed the dark fur on one of Khael's arms, then opened her mouth. Whatever she was going to say was cut off by a howl near the borders, clear and masculine. The women exchanged a look, and Tink, tossing a long blonde braid over her shoulder, padded toward the borders before Khael could think to stop her.

As protective as Khael was of her mate, however, Katinka carried herself like the Warden she was, her fluffy tail waving high and her stance proud but not arrogant. When she stepped through the pines and spotted the stranger, a guarded smile lit her face before Khael stepped beside her – the jackal's hand obviously lingering near the hilt of the short-spear tied to her hip.

Hello, stranger. Her voice was light and singsong, but there was something intent and careful in Tink's bright blue eyes. Have you come to trade?

Hello, Atlas! :) Khael is accompanied by her companion NPC in this thread, since Katinka is a little friendlier and I feel like it would be more palatable, haha. That said, I would give Salsola's joining information a read. There's a recommended process for joining the pack that has more steps than a normal 'Souls pack. :)

but between my soft hands they die.
Salsola
The Warden
Raze
Luperci Milite Mate to Katinka
in her eyes were embers

POSTED: Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:37 pm

➧➧ Hello Raze! It is a shame Atlas has no advocate but I had anticipated something a bit more hostile and meant the thread’s title to be ironic. A polite refusal won’t hurt my feeling either though xD
⟿ Word Count: [~320]
⟿ Date: 11th Sep
⟿ Time: 7pm-ish
⟿ Form: Optime ⟿ Gear: Outfit, Sword, Travelpack

The wait was full of anticipation and bad for Atlas’ nerves but in no way overtly long. The male had hoped he might be greeted by a single individual but knew this to be unlikely. So when two canines approached the border it wasn’t surprising. They were both easy on the eyes and offered a simple introduction of sorts. The quiet, darker furred one appeared on edge which was fair considering Atlas’ sword so he did nothing to aggravate her further. Atlas' body language stayed neutral with effort. A lot of mental work went into making sure he followed all the subtle nuances- tail lower, eye contact respectful. He was unused to submitting to strangers. A smile graced his black and cream maw in a friendly and maybe ever so slightly charming way as he began, “I haven’t anything to trade, actually. My name is Atlas.” A slight bow was given then in greeting. “I am a traveler from across the seas and seek to find a home in these lands. I was hoping to learn a bit about your pack.” It was simple and to the point. Better to be clear, he figured.

In the few heartbeats between the trade of words Atlas inhaled their scent and tried to dedicate it to memory. What he could get from this range was a mix of them both, he could only assume. It was nothing too strange but he couldn’t quite place what breed the darker furred female was. Little interaction with jackals left her appearance feeling a bit alien but he did nothing to convey his offbeat thoughts. The other at least seemed to be a breed of wolf. That she spoke gave him a bit of familiar comfort since many of the canines he dealt with in his earlier life had been wolves. It was small and fleeting but comfort was hard to come by in these strange wilds and every bit was worth noting.

POST. "Speech". Thinking.

Flames alight the trees
spread to fallen leaves
now they're right upon me

Template by Kitty, image by Me, Lyrics by Shaed

Loners
Wolfdog
Atlas
Luperci

POSTED: Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:32 pm

The stranger smiled like a man used to smiling – though his charm would be lost on Katinka.

The fluffy wolfdog scrutinized him carefully, her blue eyes acknowledging the sword at his hip but not dwelling on it; it was Khael's job to watch the weapon as she thumbed the haft of her own. Instead, Tink smiled, more tight-lipped, as the stranger explained: he was Atlas, and no trader, but a foreign man in search of a home.

If you don't already know about our pack, Tink said lightly, it probably isn't the right home for you.

She had worked hard to prove herself in Portland before arriving here. Others had joined in simpler ways, but most who waltzed up to their borders joined the kingdom in chains.

Khael, recognizing her own membership had been a fluke, snorted and looked up from where she toyed almost idly with her weapon. Her ember-colored eyes watched, looked for weakness, for quirks in facial expression. Half of her hoped the man would leave; the other half hoped she would need to remove him forcibly. Her expression was neutral, without the false politeness of her mate's.

but between my soft hands they die.
Salsola
The Warden
Raze
Luperci Milite Mate to Katinka
in her eyes were embers

Salsola