and it keeps repeating

POSTED: Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:28 pm

The end of the harvest is upon us, and in the orchard the last apples are dropping. A little sour to the taste, this late-season bounty is best suited to cooking, jarring, drying or fermenting. The rotten apples are also good for throwing at your enemies. Help gather, prepare or use the apples, so they don't go to waste!

alejandra sanctus
backdated to late september. greed! first few paragraphs are exposition haha [+300]

It was monotonous, being here, doing this.

Everyday was exactly the same, with little variation. Andrew had been more or less absent as of late because of his increasing duties in the Thistle Kingdom, but that did not mean his slave's tasks were any less menial or repetitive. He would keep Alejandra busy while he was gone, so as to prevent her from acting out.

It worked, mostly; as long as he believed it did, she was safe.

The only moments of freedom were when she had snuck away with Till or learned new things with Sanguine or Odalis; otherwise she was trapped in the regularity of servitude, going through the motions, doing as she was told. It was abysmal, and she hated how complacent she was becoming in it, but maybe it was all as Micheal had told her; if she kept her head down and did as she was told, maybe one day she really could earn her freedom.

It was a fleeting dream, but it was nice to think about.

The basket was growing heavy under her arm as she stooped down to collect another apple. She was not very fond of the taste — sour fruit made her tongue tingle in the worst of ways — but they seemed perfect for her masters, bitter and awful as they were. Of course, she did not dare voice such a thing in front of them, and she was quite certain they would not spit out the fruit as she had. In fact, they would probably love the taste. It suited them.

Which was why her basket was quite nearly full at this point, just from the shear number of apples she had hoarded in the small wicker basket. At one point she heard a telling crack in its base, but she ignored it as she reached for another low-hanging fruit near the base of a tree. Reaching up on her toes was still not enough, and she tried making a small jump for it — why she wanted this one in lieu of the countless other ones already on the ground, Aly couldn't say, but as she came back to the ground empty-handed her ankle rolled beneath her, and she fell to the dirt with a yelp.

Apples spilled from her basket, prompting a whine from the slave as she cradled her throbbing foot, cursing herself for being so daft.

template by Andi, image by @fairfilter
avatars by Jacob, Nat, Mandi and Katie • signature by Gen
Salsola
Indentured Servant
veldt
Luperci SL Top Poster!
flowers of naivety

POSTED: Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:45 pm

Word Count → 586 :: Oops, I wrote too much. XD Have an overly nice Greed.

Another day had nearly come to a close as the sun began drifting downward, but now low enough that the light had begun to dissipate. It was late enough in the day, that he'd completed all tasks he'd set for himself today and accomplishment warmed his soul. The work was never truly done, however, and Greed found a task to take part in as to not waste the rest of his day.

He found himself at the orchard, which was now overflowing with the remnants of this Summer's harvest. He hadn't been here to see the harvest at its highest point, but he was fortunate enough to see it now. Lithe limbs carried him through the orchard and he began clearing the grassy ground of the fallen, yet unspoiled, apples. The basket he carried only had a few of the fallen fruits, seeing as he was judgmental to the quality of the ones he picked. He figured it probably wasn't the best practice to pass up the imperfect morsels, and soon his basket grew fuller.

Greed stopped and examined his next target, running a thumb over the fruits' shiny surface. He couldn't remember the last time he looked at a meal without the intention to quickly devour it. His stomach was almost nearly full now that he called Salsola home. Still, his tongue lapped at dark lips as he spun the apple in his hand. It couldn't hurt to taste one of the pickings after all his hard work, could it?

Ivory daggers sunk into the fruit, pealing a meaty bite away from the core. As it landed on his tongue he realized that, this late in the harvest, the apples were no longer sweet to the taste. Still, he swallowed his pride and finished his bite. Regretfully, Greed returned the apple to the ground beneath the tree it had fallen from. It would soon begin to rot like many of its compatriots.

Greed lifted his basket from its slouching position on his hip and secured it into the curve of his waist, however shallow, before a yelp captured his attention. He moved swiftly in the direction of the sound only to come upon a brown and white mottled woman, collapsed on the orchard floor.

Miss! He shouted, coming to kneel by the woman's side. She had striking white locks, cut short so that they framed her face and bright green-blue eyes. His eyes then found their way to the leather collar around her neck. Lithia told him that a collar often signified those of the Servitori ranks. She also urged him to refrain from showing kindness to them and assert himself. It was customary and encouraged to hold rank over members ranked lower than yourself.

At this point in time, Greed found it hard to smile. This had been his biggest hiccup when it came to joining Salsola, aside from leaving The Order behind. He needed to be okay with slavery now that he called Salsola home, there was no way around it.

Greed sighed and a light smile splayed softly across his features. Are you alright? He couldn't help it. That sounded like quite a spill. His smile grew wider and more charming as he leaned over to assess the state of her ankle.

Salsola
The Associate
Sami
Luperci Bound by blood, never alone.
We still believe

POSTED: Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:39 pm

alejandra sanctus
:D i love it!! [+300]

She had hoped that no one was around, and she hated how often she verbally overreacted to things; maybe, for once, it wouldn't attract the attention of another. Maybe, for once, she was truly alone out here in the orchards, far from any Salsolan, far from anyone at all.

Of course, she would never be so lucky.

Just as she was gingerly looking over her ankle — it seemed okay, just a little tingly and sore from the impact — she heard footsteps, and her bright eyes lifted to see a figure jogging her way, entirely unfamiliar. Alejandra liked to think she had met a great deal of the Thistle Kingdom at this point, but clearly there were still those that had eluded her. A blessing, to be sure.

He was awash with brown, earthy hues, and scars and tattoos alike carved deep into his chest. They held her attention for a moment and gave the woman pause, but his smooth voice pulled her from her stupor, and she was met with a warm golden gaze. Her slack jaw immediately closed and she felt herself staring, and instead the wolfdog snaked her arms around her waist, ears splaying against her skull.

He was being nice, and it made her nervous. No one was nice in Salsola without reason, save for other slaves and perhaps Eden and Pontifex.

"O-Oh, I, yes, I'm... I'm okay." It hurt. "I just, um... Yeah... I'm okay." Her ankle cried out in protest but she tried to ignore it, but as she shifted her leg she seethed.

"Are you... new here, sir?" She wanted so desperately to change the subject and not think about it, as if that would make it go away; and it seemed a good enough distraction, because though he smelled as many in the kingdom did, there was still a foreignness to him, something so familiar to her yet ambiguous at the same time.

He smelled like the world outside of Salsola — like freedom.

Salsola
Indentured Servant
veldt
Luperci SL Top Poster!
flowers of naivety

POSTED: Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:37 pm

The woman responded anxiously, reeling into herself as though he was some hideous creature. His own ears pushed backwards, thrown off by her strange reaction. It only took him a quick moment to realize why she reacted as such, instead of the opposite, as most normal strangers would react. She was most definitely part of the Servitori and he would assume most other Salsolans did not treat her with such kindness as those of higher rank were expected not to.

She answered, stumbling over her words. She told him she was fine, but the expression on her face as she moved about said otherwise. Greed reconciled his charming demeanor, bringing his ears forward and back to alertness. He smiled warmly and sighed. I was clear to him that she was lying to save herself from the embarrassment of admitting she was truly injured. This was confirmed when she shifted the conversation unto him and Greed gave a brisk nod.

Yes. New to Salsola in every sense. Maybe, this admittance would ease her anxious spirit. He was new to Salsola, and thus new to its ways. He didn't feel the need to exclude her from his kindness just because she was lower than him in rank, even when everyone else was above him. Greed's gaze shifted to the apples that now surrounded the fallen girl. Allow me. Hands began grabbing at the apples to place them in their proper home within the woman's basket. All that work can't go to waste. Winter is coming and I'm sure these apples will be of great use. I heard that winter hits Salsola quite hard. Is that right?

Greed stood, and picked up the remainder of the apples. I'm Greed by the way. As he reached for the last apple, he contemplated it shortly before placing in the basket with all the rest.
Salsola
The Associate
Sami
Luperci Bound by blood, never alone.
We still believe

POSTED: Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:38 pm

alejandra sanctus
:D [+300]

He was only momentarily put off by her supposed shyness; if he truly was a stranger to the Kingdom as she was beginning to suspect, perhaps the notion of slavery had not been in his mind prior. Aly wasn't sure how readily the collar around her neck gave away her status, but with time, this man would begin to understand the nature of this place. It was not a fashion choice of hers, not in the slightest; it was a brand, a mark, perhaps not dissimilar from the pink trails carved into his pale chest.

If he didn't know now, he would with time.

Her eyes widened a sliver when he began to drop the apples back into her basket, and she stuttered a weak protest. "Oh, n-no, please, you don't have to do that." But he continued, standing up to gather the rest of the harvest, mentioning that it would indeed be a waste if they remained on the dirt, forgotten. Besides, her ankle needed a moment to recuperate, so... Was there any harm in allowing him to assist?

"... Thank you," she told him softly, genuinely, as she slowly rolled her ankle out in a small circle, wincing when she moved too jerkily. "I, um, haven't been here in the wintertime yet, but I would assume so. I'm not, well, new, but..." She could still remember a time beyond Salsola, but even though it was only months ago, it felt worlds away.

His name surprised her, and she tilted her head at him curiously. It felt rude to ask Greed why he was called that, even though she did want to know, so instead she nodded and gave him hers: "My name is Alejandra. It's... nice to meet you..."

It was a phrase she usually had to force out, but it felt more natural with this seemingly normal man, at least for now.

"So how did you, you know... End up here?" she asked, not unkindly, but with a somewhat disappointed lilt to her tone. She always wondered how anyone would feel any sort of attraction to join such a wretched place.

Salsola
Indentured Servant
veldt
Luperci SL Top Poster!
flowers of naivety

Salsola