[J] The Kindness of Strangers

For J.

POSTED: Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:44 pm

OOC: In Amherst, slowly encroaching on the border. Amos is to be discovered by Till Van Ulrich-Lykoi and or any of his sons before being taken as a servant.

IC:
Amos walked, more so stumbled, long since off the trail of hooves made by the man who humiliated him. His head was low, pointed to the ground, his eyes unfocused save for where he had placed his feet. While it may have seemed foolish to follow the man who had robbed him of the only belonging he had on him, it was the only option in his eyes. He had not encountered anyone in whatever land he was in. Perhaps folks were wary of the broken land engulfed by the sea, maybe this land was sparsely populated. Or, as he was starting to believe, it was all a part of his punishment for his stupidity in New Orleans. If that were the case he knew he’d have to keep believing. For this could not only a punishment but also test of faith.

He had left the path of his pants bandit because the wind had carried something of more interest. It was clearly canine, and coming from the ruins of an old human settlement. He had turned in that direction and walked, hoping to be rid of his binds sooner rather than later. He had to be careful, as the terrain was crumbled, much like the old towers of brick and stone toppled. Glass and rust, rock and ruined things, all could hurt his feet, or worse, cause him to fall. Without his arms to catch his fall, Amos feared he’d fair far less better here than the tumbles he took on soil and in the marsh. While his pride was certainly wounded by his predicament, it was not lethal. The bard hoped not to incur any other wound while he wandered into a possibly dangerous unknown.

Taking one glance behind him, weighing if he should turn around and try it with nature and wanderers again, or if he should try this sure chance at finding others, he noticed spots on the ground behind him. Bright red and evenly spaced apart. Blood, his own, he knew it was coming from his wrists. Deciding it’d be best to seek the immediate, he turned back towards the canine smells and began walking. Amos had no idea how long he had been bleeding. It could have opened happened during his struggle with the stranger, or maybe before that. If he were to continue on without aid, the man feared he'd lose his hands.

Naked, bound, and bleeding with head hung low. It was a sad sight to see, someone unknowingly walking straight back into what he had tried to escape days ago.
Last edited by Amos Gaines on Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Salsola
Indentured Servant
Scott
Luperci

POSTED: Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:27 am

ooc: Sorry for the wait. Sparty is the darker red. Raito is lighter pink. [+676]
Till Van Ulrich-Lykoi

The two acted very much like dogs when they were in their lower forms. The engagement that they had with each other, too, was interesting. The brothers were still pup-like in their ways, but their bodies were that of men now. Till was glad that Spartacus had accepted the youngest son, for his youth had been lonely, since his separation from his siblings. It was a deed that had to be done, for the good of the Family. Raito was still just as much his son as any of Till's sons, and he did wish for the best for him.

Till sent the boys off ahead of him and Tal, for their rambunctiousness being so close to the mare made her a bit nervous. Till was not unnerved by their behavior, for he had been a father over half a dozen times over. Children were children, and even this late, he remembered that Coaxoch and Dirge even had their moments of immaturity. Transitioning from childhood into adulthood had been harder for others than some, and he saw this particularly in his latest batch of children. Maybe they both needed some more responsibility. Till thought silently to himself as he lazily rode along towards the Northern border, the Queensgate Garrison, for he and his sons were seeking to slither from Salsola's borders from this way. It was public enough for those to know that he and his two sons left, and they had limited gear with them. They would be back, likely with food, for this was the plan.

After having met back up at the actual Garrison, the Ulrich Patriarch and his Ulrichsons easily left the borders without much mention other than an acknowledging wave to whomever happened to be on duty. Once they had been allowed to pass, the Jagermeister sent the boys ahead once more, not unlike a hunter unleashing their hounds. They were out of sight by the time that Till had started to move along. Was it arrogant to leave Salsola's grasp without protection? Till had not really thought too hard on it. He did not think his venture out into the world on this day would end without him laying his head to his pillow that night.

It had been pretty quiet up ahead of him, and Till had urged his mare to quicken her pace just a bit. Not being able to hear his children did make him nervous, for they both were pretty loud, and them going quiet was never good news. Especially when it came to the silence of Spartacus. Till's large ears turned ahead of him, only to twitch momentarily to the side and then back. He also let his nose get to work, and once he had finally started to pay attention to the smells around him, he realized that the scent of blood had attracted the young males.

Till did not take much time to register everything he could have gotten from the scent, and he urged his mare forward eagerly, and once he got within earshot of the boys, he could hear them growling and barking at the source of the smell of blood that was thick on the air, along with the strange scent of fish —hence why he was blocking out his sense of smell— and Till barked to get the attention of the boys from whatever poor creature they might be picking on.

"Look, he's all tied up and shi—hahahaha!"
"Why are you tied up? Are you stupid?" they barked amongst other harassing remarks as they circled around the man. Till's horse rushed into the scene pretty quickly otherwise, and once he saw his sons, he too, allows his mare to circle around until she could come to an easy trot, and then a brisk walk.

"My sons are right. What are you doing here, naked and bound like that." Till spoke, as he took a knife from his hip's sheath and he looked at the sorrowful beast. "Well?" he growled lightly.

template by veldt, image by @aleviaro

TILL VAN ULRICH
'Cause we were always alone, We were born in the hunter's season
All I really ever wanted was for you to die in the arms of someone
Avvie by Jasmae@FA, signature image by Motth@FA

Salsola
The Jagermeister
J
Luperci Witch & Cazador because I’m delicious, like Flantasy Flan.
WINTER IS COMING
HUNTER'S SEASON
FEAR NOT THE TASK AHEAD

POSTED: Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:30 am

He had expected to meet someone, anyone really, he had no idea of the area’s inhabitants. Had he, then he never would have trekked all onto the doorstep of Salsola. Civilization had been his life, even in servitude. To be set upon by two, wild, heckling beasts caught Amos off guard. Insults were thrown as they circled him, his defeated eyes gaining a flame of defiance. The pair’s berating egged the man on to reply either with his own teeth, or mocking them in return, but he knew he was in no position to even try anything. The bard knew he wasn’t stupid, that’s all that mattered here, and he didn’t give his finders the satisfaction of anger.

Nerves crept up his spine even further as a third came a-circling. While they were evidence that he was indeed near a pack, the bound man feared these three were like, or were worse than, the pants thief he had met prior. At least the rider tossed no scathing remarks his way. This was not how he imagined meeting others, truth be told he expected everything to go swimmingly after he sprung himself free. Lo, there Amos stood, bound and bleeding, dirty and tick-ridden. He smelled like pond scum and looked so very tired. Slave collar still around his neck, he wouldn’t be able to tell his finders a believable lie. Besides, the brandished blade and snapping jaws were incentive enough to tell the truth.

“I’m only looking for someone to cut the rope around my wrists,” he told them. He looked away and down, however, ashamed of his naked state. Modesty was important to him, nudity flew well into the face of that. “I was cargo on a ship,” he began using the word as if it were a common word to describe a person, “but I freed myself, and walked, hoping to find someone to cut my binds.” He gave a shrug, only to wince as the rope dug into his flesh. Recovering after remaining still for a moment, Amos continued. “No one did, obviously, and if you must know about my lack of pants, a man took them. Spent a good while to laugh at me too.”

He looked to his circlers, wondering if they were indeed from the pack nearby, or if the were ruffians who had decided to descend upon some easy prey. Amos had no item of value with him, they could steal the collar if they’d like, he would have gladly accepted that. “Now, “ he started, addressing the rider. “Once the two are finished laughing at the naked man, would you please cut me free?” He asked, silently praying that this was it. No more wallowing in the mud for water. No more watching ticks gorge themselves on his blood, no more mosquitoes all over his face every damn night! Amos would be able to retrieve his lute and start a new life for himself, all he needed was the stranger to cut him free. “It’s been days, sir,” he added, pitifully.
Salsola
Indentured Servant
Scott
Luperci

POSTED: Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:02 pm

ooc: bleepbloop. [+472]
Till Van Ulrich-Lykoi

Once Till finally pulled his mare to a stop, he squared her up with the dog, and his two sons took each side of the back of the other male. Till looked down at the man and the other man with eyes of crystallized amber and the ocean on a bright summer's day and Till thought about what this male could have been doing wandering so close to Salsola. He was by no parts trespassing yet, but he was asking for a favor from them. Till's maw stretched in a wide grin and a deep chuckle passed his lips. "I can see why he stole your pants. Surprised he didn't take the whole package." he spoke as he suddenly dismounted his horse and he flipped the knife in his hand a few times as he continued to stare at the dog with large ears. He almost reminded him of a son of Ankh, but he did not think the dog was.

"You were about to trespass on our land, and you ask us for the favor of unbinding you from your debt that had not been paid to your masters? How disgraceful. Mmm, That's quite pathetic, really." he spoke as he rose the knife up to look at it, and then he looked to the other male as he moved a bit closer to him. The "hounds" behind the Wildling move closer to him, and the deep rumbling came from the large secui formed Spartacus as the bloodied eyed male tried to resist the urge to bite and mangle the small luperci. Spartacus could not help but let out a compulsive bark, though, but was motioned to become silent by a motion of his father's hand.

Till lifted his arm and pulled at his sleeve to reveal the scars that traveled from wrist to elbow. "Days, hm?" he cocked his head, as if this was a curious thing, though it was 100% malicious in it's intent. Though, Till did not elaborate on the cause of his scars but the jagged edges and depth had come from weeks of wearing thistle thorns and vines while performing his everyday tasks.

"And if I free you, then what do I get out of it? You are nothing but cargo on a ship, you said so yourself." he looked to the male with a wide grin still wide on his pink lips.

" You are nothing but a cheat, you deserve punishment for trying to escape your debt instead of work it off. Why should I grant you freedom?" he spoke as he pointed the knife at the other male lazily. The excited whines and yips of his older son made Till know that he would chase the beast down if he tried to run, and it would not be pretty.

TILL VAN ULRICH

Salsola
The Jagermeister
J
WINTER IS COMING
HUNTER'S SEASON
FEAR NOT THE TASK AHEAD

POSTED: Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:50 pm

Had the stranger been a woman, then Amos would have been more welcoming to the compliment. However he couldn’t help but feel a little disturbed with it coming from another male, but at least he had just a little bit more of an idea of what he was dealing with. His focus remained on the knife-wielder, though he kept a note on where the other two were. Plodding around eagerly waiting on all fours, he knew they were itching to run. Ready chase something at the drop of a hat, and he knew from observation not to indulge them. Paulina’s guards made short work of the fieldhands and girls who ran. Never enough to cripple, always enough to hurt. Made the others think twice about fleeing.

“Days.” He gave, confirming what he had told the man as he gazed at the scars on the on his arms. The bard could see the stranger had trouble with binds sometime in their life as well and guessed that he did not care about his predicament. If anything it was seen as funny, based on the grins and laughter he was getting from all three. The first four folks he found didn’t give a shit about him, such was the world. The notion that no stranger present considered charity was made even more apparent at the next question asked. He held his tongue, not willing to spill his talents to the blade user, after all, he was still tied up and collared. It would be so easy for anyone to grab ahold of what rope remained attached to the leather strip around hs neck, and drag him along to wherever they wanted. So close to being free, yet he still wore his markings as a slave.

Amos was intimidated; damned on all sides. They would not let him leave, that much was clear as the knife was pointed at him. Still, the bard did not run, though he wasn’t sure how this game was being played. All he could hope for was to at least leave unscathed. The man’s words burned in his brain a bit, bubbling up a little anger. As if selling a friend was something that could be worked off. His predicament now was the result of his attempt to do Edena good and he told himself he’d endure trials worse than this if it meant she’d still be her own person.

“I’m no longer on a ship,” He stated, voice cold and serious. “And I may have done some disgraceful and pathetic things in my time,” he admitted. “Even the noblest of kings stoop low in their time, but I am no cheat.” His dual-colored eyes hovered on the stranger and his blade before he glanced around to see where the hounds were. “My debt will haunt me regardless if I am free or not, but only as a free man can I ever hope to pay it,” he explained but did not beg. “Cut me free and I will return the favor one day, that is a promise I can make.” He made the mistake of lying with a lot on the table once. He knew not to do it again, but how could the stranger know that?
Salsola
Indentured Servant
Scott
Luperci

POSTED: Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:45 pm

ooc: bleepbloop. [+351]
Till Van Ulrich-Lykoi

The affirmation of it being "days" had been largely ignored by the Jagermeister, for he cared not for the binds wounds that had been caused by the days of struggling he had endured. Till could only imagine that the smaller, much-sleeker coated dog would have frozen to death if he had been out in the wilds in any season but spring and summer. Till silently made the observation. The male did not have much to give, nothing besides his own life, in one way or another.

The male had some fight in him still, it would seem, for the male went on to speak of not being a cheat. Till chuckled softly, and as the male spoke more to him, he zeroed in on the collar that was around the neck of the male and his eyes lingered there for quite a long time. His smile remained on his face and when his eyes snapped back up at the male, it was in a manner as if to say "Are you done?" and the intensity in his eyes grew.

"The Gods brought you to me with a purpose, and bound you so that you do not fight." the words had come from his maw with little regard of what madness it meant. He shook his head rapidly for a moment as he rolled his wrist and "bounced" the knife. When he looked back at the male once more, he "I don't like that deal. How about this:" he started to speak in regards of the whole conversation of them letting him free.

"If you work for me and my Family, then one day, you will be a freed man among our collective. Once you prove yourself worthy of such." he told the other, with brows raised and a cocked smile. Till would have offered his hand, but the other's seemed to be preoccupied at the moment.

"Think about it, you get shelter, a new home....A bath..." he spoke, noticing how dirty the male was, and barely being able to hide his general disgust at the dirty Wildling.

TILL VAN ULRICH

Salsola
The Jagermeister
J
WINTER IS COMING
HUNTER'S SEASON
FEAR NOT THE TASK AHEAD

POSTED: Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:27 pm

Anger had boiled up and the calm demeanor he held was waning as he rationalized his situation. Was his luck really that bad? Was every canine here despicable, evil, and so on? One stole his pants, two wanted to tear him apart, and a fourth expected him to roll over and return to a life of subservience and fear. His hackles rose and his displeasure became apparent in the sour expression now taking over his face. He was in no position to fight, but the man very much wanted to. Though he then began to think from the tall one's position. He was merely acting on a boon brought before him. As he stated, Amos could not fight back and was prime for picking. A ripe fruit dangled right in front of the smiling stranger’s face. The bard’s expression softened and he relaxed to a more docile posture. He was saddened by the chance of freedom blown, and began to wonder just how damned he was.

Glancing up at the sky, passed the taller man, the singer wondered when penance would end. He thought he had already learned his lesson, though perhaps his sin was far greater than he originally believed. His eyes returned to the knife-wielder before he bowed his head, accepting the proposition. He offered a small, closed-mouth smile to his new master as he tried to appear accepting of his role, though some disgust with himself and the three others formed in his stomach. He was so close and now he was leagues away once more. “Of course,” Amos stated with a nod. “I suppose I was hoping to catch the moon with my offer.” He even chuckled. While it too was a facade, there was sardonic mirth somewhere in him. “There’s no sense bartering,” he said, glancing at the two men, eager to chase down and kill their prey. “I’m certain that declining your offer would be a bad choice, and so I must agree.” The quiet smile turned into a wide grin, complete with a wagging tail.

As much as he hated bowing down for others, it was something he knew he had to do. Survival for him was being what his masters wanted him to be, and he had gotten very good at meeting their demands. Amos had been an accountant, a custodian, a cook, as well as a lover and plaything in the past. He hoped for the former three over the latter two, now in the service of another male. “Is there a contract to be signed?” He asked, head tilted slightly. “I know how to read and write, so there would be no trouble there.”
Salsola
Indentured Servant
Scott
Luperci

POSTED: Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:56 pm

ooc: bleepbloop. [+549]
Till Van Ulrich-Lykoi

Rational seemed to get to him, for the fiery expression of disbelief of this situation had dissipated into a relaxed expression that Till could only take as the male knowing his place and realizing that Till and his sons were not going to let him get out of here alive, if he did not comply. Till watched as the male finally nodded his head, affirming that he understood his position and that he would accept the proposition. Till's smile widened and a small chuckle passed his maw as he suddenly moved forward and he grabbed at the binds of the other male. When Amos spoke about being sure that it would not end well for him if he chose the other choice, and Till chuckled again at this, though was surprised that the male wagged his tail and smiled widely too.

"Smart boy." he spoke as his bright eyes peered at the other. He looked over the male, once more, and he shook his head lightly as the male had begun to ask about a contract. "Parchment contracts are not our sort of deal. You will receive a branding in a few days, I suggest you think of a good spot unless you want me to decide." Till had no qualms with letting the male choose where the branding went, and if he didn't then Till would be sure to make it hard to conceal, and with the short fur of the other male, it wouldn't take much effort to find a good spot.

"You will be a good scribe, then, if you know to read and write. You will tell me of your past, one of these days, for now, you will tell me the rest of your skills." Till spoke as he finally took the binds in his hand and he let the knife drag across them, finally freeing the man from his binds. "I am Till Van Ulrich-Lykoi. Jagermeister of Salsola, and Patriarch of House Ulrich. These are two of my youngest sons, Spartacus and Raito." he introduced himself and his sons, so that this new servant knew of whom his owner was now. "Do you have a name?" he asked, knowing that some slaves are stripped of their names when they transfer hands, so some of them had discarded their name every time they were sold. He had only known this because he had been told by both Nephele and Phobos that they both had been stripped of their names often. These names that they were called now were names that Till had allowed them to pick out, with his help, if they needed it.

"I cut your binds, for now, but we will be tying your collar to my horse later. Don't abuse the freedom of your hands, or I'll make sure you regret it." he told Amos as he came around to face the male once more, and he glanced at Raito and Spartacus again, whom both had taking seats in their respective spots. Spartacus gave a decidedly annoyed groaning grumble from his chest as he had to curb his eagerness to chase the fast looking dog, but after his rump hit the ground, he was incredibly still, almost as if he had turned into a statue.

TILL VAN ULRICH

Salsola
The Jagermeister
J
WINTER IS COMING
HUNTER'S SEASON
FEAR NOT THE TASK AHEAD

POSTED: Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:20 am

OOC: Leadership may post now.

IC:
Amos was used to praise, as he was always a good boy for whoever happened to hold his leash. For nearly two years there had always been a collar around his neck, though the one he currently wore was more utilitarian than anything. Practical, sturdy, plain. He had one prior that was much nicer. Soft, adjustable, decorative. The mention of a brand made the bard tense up. Never before he had a brand, his body was not marred with the mark of another man. Collars could be removed, scars were permanent. Till had told him that he could be free among his “collective.” He wondered if the brand was to the man bringing him into the fold, or if it was to the fold itself.

He tried to hold back the cry of pain once his arms were able to move freely, a small moan escaped his closed mouth as he winced. They were stiff and sore, and the open wounds on his wrists seeped blood, dripping a bit faster now that the ropes were removed. Still, there was relief mixed in with his pain, and though he was going back to the very thing he tried to escape, Amos was thankful to have full movement of his arms. “Aye, my name is Amos,” he replied omitting his surname. He attempted to rub gently at where the ropes had bit into, trying to soothe his wounds in vain. Every touch and movement made them sting a bit. It wasn’t awful, he had seen others shrug off worse, though he’d be more at ease if they were wrapped with bandages. “As for what I can do,” he began, looking back to Till. “I worked in a brothel for some time, though I only cooked and cleaned for the mistress there. Before that I performed in the streets of New Orleans, drawing crowds who came to listen to my singing and my music,” he explained with a grin, modesty seemingly going out the window as he talked about his musical prowess.

He opened his mouth to speak again, drawing in air to continue his spiel, but he stopped. Amos wasn’t exactly happy with himself and the things he did for the Rum Queen, but he had learned a bit under her ownership. “I know how to ride a horse, but not well,” he continued, a bit more subdued. “Give me a bullwhip and I can dance with it, or hurt others at your command. I’ve seen the pain they cause, I’ve caused that pain, and because of that, I assure you, you’ll never have to make me feel it,” he gave a small sigh and shook his head. “I’d rather perform with the whip, to make others smile instead of scream.”

He held his arms, not quite crossing them and careful not to agitate the open sores and wounds from the rope. The man looked down as a little introspection went on in his noggin. Paulina never made him do it. He did what she asked because he was infatuated with her, and wished to make her happy. That wouldn’t happen here, no, his new owner was a man. No womanly wiles to snake their way into his mind and sink their fangs in. Confidence built back up after his little look inwards, he glanced back up at Till, letting his arms fall slowly to his sides. “Now, what would you like me to call you?” The bard asked, his smile returning. “Master? Or would you prefer something else?"
Salsola
Indentured Servant
Scott
Luperci

POSTED: Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:06 pm

WELCOME TO SALSOLA

Familia Fortis Elegit! The Family welcomes you to our great realm of Salsola. As a new member of the pack, you're ranked as an Indentured Servant. We strongly encourage you to read over the Ranks area of our wiki for further information on your rank, promotions, and other relevant content.

Now that you've joined the Thistle Kingdom, why not:

• Begin plotting with your fellow members - start or join an Open Thread on Salsola territory.
  • Figure out if your character wants the traditional Cotona ritual to take place, and if so, where on their body they'd like the scar.
  • Think over which of the Jobs you'd like to aim toward, and let the leadership know what one/s you are considering.
  • Check out our pack game and start earning points! You can claim a residence in the the Ruins after you have earned 50 points in the pack game (note: residences outside this area are free).
  • Add yourself to our Directory, and please remember to add your character's animal companions to our Stables! See Salsola Maintenance for further information.
  • Familiarize yourself with the pack's leaders and make sure you contact one of us if you encounter any sort of difficulty or require any assistance. You can send us a Private Message or post to the Salsola Maintenance thread.
  • Make sure to join our wonderful Discord Chat for community access and ongoing pack developments! To be added to the channel, please contact Salsolan Leadership.
Salsola
OOC Account
Mel, Alaine, & Songbird

Salsola