shiver

thread prompt!

POSTED: Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:42 pm

Great white nortH

Though the Finn was starting to learn a great deal about Salsola's management and the general populace, he and Ondine hadn't quite spoken yet about the root of the culture, why things were the way they were and what it meant to the Family. Not quite about the ranks or the way they were addressed, but some of the other things, including the history of the strange symbol he saw carved into different places and even on the skin of some of the Family members. It was assumed it stood for Salsola as a group, almost like a heraldric symbol, but the Finn was curious about where it came from.

Just walking around the lands carried him to a lone, dilapidated cabin, obviously lived in but not quite suitable for habitation anymore. On the door was this symbol, carved raggedly into the wood likely with a dull knife. His fingers ran over it, careful to avoid splinters in the old wood, with a strange curiosity.

Family heraldry was something he was somewhat familiar with, having seen it back in Europe in many places. It had it's place in history, some scholars had told him, but the deeper meanings were lost on many. However, many of those sigils held living things. Lions, bears, flowers, landscapes, even odd creatures Urho swore couldn't have existed in reality. But this symbol... it wasn't anything like that. Or it was so abstract that he couldn't place what the creator intended it to look like.

"Outo..." he muttered to himself in Finnish, moving away from the door to see if the symbol appeared again somewhere inside of the cabin. The inside of it was relatively barren, though. Whoever resided here before had the mind to take nearly everything that wasn't bolted down, along with anything else possibly branded with the same symbol on the door.

associate thread prompt. ranked members only pls! | [wc — 309] template by hilli
COMMISSIONS ALWAYS OPEN! PM FOR QUESTIONS!
Salsola
The Confidant (NPC)
Titmouse
Luperci

POSTED: Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:56 pm

Hope you don't mind me! :D

--------------------------------------------------

Hel was preparing herself to go on a trip to the Outpost to trade. Though she was more interested in other activities for her focus - spying, in particular, interested her - the girl knew that trading was of value to Salvia. When something was of value to the Tigeress, her lower ranked Family members listened. They obeyed. They did as they should do to further themselves. If that meant honing her trading, Hel would hone her trading. It wasn't a bad skill to have.

So it was that she had headed to a more abandoned part of her pack's territory, where once others had lived but no longer. Though it was likely all valuable items had been removed by the owners, there were always things that were left behind. Forgotten. Perhaps undervalued by those who had been there before or brought by someone else who had stopped there. Maybe lost by someone or hidden to be forgotten. In any case, it was interesting to explore. Even if in the end she found nothing to trade.

A scent caught her nose and she lifted her head, taking it in. There was something vaguely familiar about it; likely not a loner, then, but someone seeking to enter Salsola's Family. The girl turned toward it. She was always interested in assessing the newer membership and how they might be of value or threat to her. The male stood inside a cabin with the door open so she could view him. Perhaps he had heard her approach, perhaps he had not. Either way, she was interested to learn more of who he was.

"You're new." she said, her bi-toned eyes moving across the stranger. He was thickly built, bulky even. She liked the gold of his eyes that she noticed, though, and the coloration of his fur. Even the bulkiness wasn't unattractive, she figured, though she thought of it more as a breeder examining a potential bloodline than a girl examining someone of potential sexual interest. So far, she had felt not even the slightest stirring in herself for anyone of either sex.
Salsola
The Arbiter (NPC)
Nine
Luperci

POSTED: Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:54 pm

Great white nortH

Of course someone stumbled upon him eventually, with a voice behind him that beckoned his attention. Another member he hadn't met, he thought, but it seemed that the notion was mutual. "Yes!" he smiled, turning to the face the female, forgetting about the symbol he'd seen coming in.

"We haven't met yet," he nodded, giving a slight bow. "Urho Rask." A cordial man he was, though eventually he wouldn't have to introduce himself as the newcomer anymore. Hopefully, it would only be to future newcomers. "I was just looking around." There was still plenty for him to explore. However, maybe this woman could help him with that.

"You know this symbol, right?" he asked, tapping the door with a clawed finger. "I know it represents Salsola, but I don't know what it's supposed to be... or mean." It was a leap to assume she knew, but maybe he would get lucky. If not, maybe they would both find out together. Someone within the Thistle Kingdom had to know the story behind it.

HAHA I SUCK sorry | [wc — 172] template by hilli
Salsola
The Confidant (NPC)
Titmouse
Luperci

POSTED: Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:46 pm

Wasn't sure if you had a specific symbol in mind so if you didn't want it to be the Hand, let me know. ;D

Also no to you sucking. :|

-------------------------------

His smile curled easily enough around his lips and she smiled back, though hers was feigned and she thought his to be real. Hers looked real enough to someone who didn't know her, though. For all she knew, he had just as much grace in that trickery as she did. It had come so easily to him, though. If he was pretending, she would be interested to have such an ease of throwing it on as if it were her second nature. Hel had never been a particularly smiley wolf, even as a child. Except when it suited her ambitions to smile and have someone on her side because of it.

He bowed and she nodded in response, finding that the appropriate regard for their difference in rank. "Hel Eternity." she replied. "I haven't heard your last name around before. Where are you from?" it was common to have D'Angelo, Eternity, Lykoi even... but Rask was different. It interested her because of that. What things might he know that he could teach to a long time pack member?

She moved to look at the symbol as he gestured, assessing it with her eyes. "The Hand of Eris." she replied, one of the longest standing symbols of the Thistle Kingdom. "It is an important mark in our pack. Often scarred onto long term members, especially those of my bloodline in honor of Eris Eternity - my grandmother - who discovered it. It is said to hold sacred protective powers."
Salsola
The Arbiter (NPC)
Nine
Luperci

POSTED: Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:11 pm

Great white nortH

Names and lineage wasn't entirely important back home, though patronymics were very popular. His own was simple: Sørenssen. Søren's son. It was almost a shame to use it despite never meeting his father face to face. Yet, some amount of pride and longing forced him to, especially when around family or complete strangers. His family knew who his father was by his name and strangers would never know that he was a fatherless child growing up. Either way, no questions were asked.

"Finland," he replied simply. "Across the ocean to the east in the Great White North. Only one other from my family has been across the ocean and lived to tell the tale." There were stories of some of the Rask clan being claimed by the waves on the trips — at least, that was the assumption after never hearing from them again.

The Hand of Eris. A mystical name for a mysterious symbol, indeed. It seemed that Hel, as her name was, was a direct descendant of the founder, who named the symbol after themselves, naturally. "Scarred, huh?" he asked, switching from between the symbol and the woman. "Why not branding? Cleaner mark, faster, more efficient," he listed, flicking out fingers for each option. "Don't need an expert to poke you with it either. Just a steady hand. Unless..." The Finn thought pensively for a moment, rubbing at his chin. "...if it's symbolic, I guess that's a moot point to make. Can't argue. Your grandmother seems like an interesting woman, though."

"We have symbols like that back North, ones said to have powers like that. Not many, but some. They're more ritual and formality than anything, but some still believe in them." They came from long ago, but sometimes the older things were, the more mystical and powerful they seemed to be.

that was what i meant! :D | [wc — 303] template by hilli
Salsola
The Confidant (NPC)
Titmouse
Luperci

POSTED: Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:58 pm

Boom, *mindreader* :D

-------------------------------

Finland. It wasn't a country name that had touched the girl's lips before. She would remember it, for if she met another Finnish wolf. Though given the way he spoke about it, it sounded unlikely. "Why did you risk the seas to come here?" Hel might be prying, but she was always one to know as much as she could about newcomers as they entered the pack. It was important for her self-improvement as well as for her knowledge base. Because in the future, it might come in handy to know the motivations that drove Urho Rask from his first home and into the arms of the Thistle Kingdom. Though perhaps he had found stops along the way before coming to Salsola, too.

At the question, she shrugged. "Tradition, I suppose, and a deeper mark. Usually it is the Crone who marks you, or another who has already received the Hand and can pass it on. I would imagine the pain is part of it, too, to truly connect you with others who bear it. If it had started as a brand, I am sure it still would be." traditions were weird that way. They tended to stick the way they started even if a better way was found.

"There are many symbols in the pack. My father reads runes. I am learning to read dreams." she couldn't consider herself an expert by any means, especially when it came to the dreams of others and not to her own dreams. "Do you believe in these things?" the Eternity girl asked in turn, wondering where his own beliefs lay in the magical spectrum.
Salsola
The Arbiter (NPC)
Nine
Luperci

POSTED: Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:26 am

Great white nortH

His reasoning may have been foolish enough, but they had been important to Urho at the time. He shrugged his shoulders in response, crossing his arms as he leaned against the doorway. "My father," he sighed. "A son's journey to find his lineage, a time old tale some told me. I've still yet to find him, but something tells me I won't find him until he wants to be found." Whether he'd ever find him at all was still another question yet to be answered.

"Tradition is a tricky thing," he chuckled. It often led to silly things that really had no reason to occur anymore, but some found that tradition was never to be change. Why fix what was never broken? Unless it was always broken in the first place and no one bothered to notice. Urho was the kind of person to notice.

Dreams were also tricky. Anything that wasn't concrete and tangible was out of his reach, really. He believed in what he could see, but the supernatural was something he found interesting, like children's stories, rather than fact. "Not sure," he shrugged. "Can't say I really have. But I have been busy paying attention to other things, too much so to take notice of those things. But if you have the time and interest..." He threw his hands up in the air. It wasn't for him to judge anyway. "I can't read books either so..."

ooc | [wc — 239] template by hilli
Salsola
The Confidant (NPC)
Titmouse
Luperci

POSTED: Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:49 am

He leaned casually and she watched him, determining if it was a truly casual gesture or one fabricated to make it appear that he was at ease when he wasn't. So far, he seemed to be the sort that was rather easygoing about everything. At least he didn't seem to have the childish streak that often accompanied that. His words were serious enough, a conversationalist that did not make her want to gouge her ears or avoid them in the future so she didn't have to listen to their prattling. The search for a parent seemed foolish to her, considering they weren't always what they were made out to be. "I hope the end of your search does not disappoint." she replied.

Hel found herself disliking the way he laughed at tradition, though she did not let him see that she felt that way. The fundamental building blocks of the pack itself were all based upon tradition. What was a pack without any tradition? It was a place full of wolves with independent ideas, thoughts, ideologies, plans. These things would not suit. Though she understood he spoke mostly of the Mark, it was not something she took lightly at all. He would be lucky to be granted Eris's mark. It was hypocritical of her to be irritated at him for it when she had the same thought about how tradition could be weird. She didn't care, though; it was her tradition. She could have feelings about it. He had not earned that yet. "They can indeed." she said, her head tilting slightly. "Were there traditions like that in your homeland?"

It was more interesting to her to learn what he thought of magic and the reading of runes/dreams. These were pillars of their community, too, the sense of magic that exuded from the females here. The witches, the Crone, the bloodlines built upon magic and power. "You will find there is a lot of magic to be seen and felt in the pack, if you but look for it." she remarked. In fact, he had to be blind to not see it. Then again, he was male. Most males were more blind to these things than females she had found. Her father was different. He had a lot of the female in him. Though unlike her brother, he didn't try to actually say he was female.

"You can't read? That must be a detriment to your learning." she did not scoff, merely remarked. Though inside it was certainly a mark against him in her book. Reading was natural to her, as she had learned from such a young age.
Salsola
The Arbiter (NPC)
Nine
Luperci

POSTED: Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:43 am

Great white nortH

Maybe Hel was right about parents, about them not always living up to the dreams and hopes of their offspring, but at least Urho tried, right? "As do I, though, I can't say it's looking to turn out that way so far," he replied. It was a realistic answer, as much as Urho preferred to be optimistic about things. The jolly man usually lived up to his jolly reputation, but not here. "But I definitely like what I've found in the interim." Salsola was certainly a family, and a tight-knit one at that. If his own father wasn't going to be the family he wanted, maybe the Thistle Kingdom would stand on that pedestal instead.

"Well, no, but there wasn't much to place traditions over in the first place," he shrugged. "With my mother, we lived on our own, as a family away from any kind of group. There's no tradition when it's just you and four others in a frozen wasteland." He laughed as if there was humor in his words, but really it sounded sad and lonely from an outsider's perspective. He had gotten used to not seeing many souls out there, true, but that didn't mean he was content with being alone. "When I stayed in Stockholm, there were many more faces to see, but no one finds tradition... necessary. At least, not with my father's family. They are a very practical bunch, though I can't say I don't fit in that group either. Many of them were very... stern, to say the least."

Magic, huh? There were a fair few superstitious folk around here. "That so?" he questioned, a curious tone creeping into his voice. "Well, I haven't noticed since I've been trying to do good and make a good impression by helping out where I can, so..." He trailed off and shrugged his broad shoulders. Not that he was trying to stretch it thin by spelling it out for a member.

The comment about him not being able to read struck a chord in him, but he played it off. Urho had thick skin both literally and metaphorically. Years of pointing out his own faults and acknowledging them gave him a healthy ego, he found. "Not really," he grinned. "Never learned to read when I was young, didn't need to — there's no books in the frozen wasteland. In Stockholm, they found that I learned rather well just by watching, so I didn't need to learn then either. Why would I need a book when I can see it done for myself?" Still, he shrugged again. "I won't say it is useless to learn, I just never needed to."

OOPS sorry about the length idk where that came from | [wc — 444] template by hilli
Salsola
The Confidant (NPC)
Titmouse
Luperci

POSTED: Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:32 pm

She wondered what it could have been like if she was raised by her father alone. If her mother had never been there. Hel would have likely sought out her other parent, wanted to know her, unaware that Artemisia was not worth knowing. It was only because she had been raised (however briefly) by both that she had formed that opinion at all. Although she didn't express it quite so openly since her mother was technically higher ranked than her. Respect was important in the Thistle Kingdom.

"The strong thrive here." she replied to his words of being pleased at the place he had found. If he was strong, he would do well. If he was not, he would fail. The soft and weak ended up leaving in the end or were tossed out. Whatever the case, they certainly did not stay within Salsola. Most of the time they never came across the borders, but they couldn't always determine someone's accurate worth before they joined.

He spoke of his frozen wasteland home. Of Stockholm and the lack of traditions. Practicality didn't mean that traditions should be lost. To her, the Thistle Kingdom was very practical. It was also full of tradition. "Stern? Sounds boring." she said with a twist of her lips in amusement. There was a difference between stern and firm in her mind. Salvia was firm, though at times she could also be stern. Mostly it was not sternness that the Tigeress displayed, though. She was a predator, calculating through and through.

He was not observant if he had not noticed the magic that coursed through the pack like a bloodline, but she did not care to remark about that to him. So she didn't. Instead, she let that matter lie. The male was doing what he needed to do to further his position within the pack. As anyone would and should do when they first joined.

It seemed that her words about reading had struck something within him, even if he hadn't distinctly said so. The way he reacted seemed... defensive. Hel was amused by this but hid it behind a curious head tilt and a slight shrug. "That's a good way to learn, most times I would agree with you. There are things I learn from books that no one else I have met has learned, though. It is these secrets I feel are lost to those who do not read. I suppose if these were things you wanted to learn, though, someone could tell you of them."
Salsola
The Arbiter (NPC)
Nine
Luperci

Dead Topics