She of the spear stands present

POSTED: Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:51 pm

[214]

A short run, arm lifted, weapon poised — and the assegai flew through the air to strike the heart of the wooden dummy target. Or it might have struck the heart, if the beast’s heart was lower in its gut. After following through with the motion, the jackal went still and studied where it landed, then walked forward to rip the speartip from the wood; it had gone deep, which pleased her well enough. It rarely mattered to her whether her enemies were struck in the chest or went down with a terrible gut wound.

All were means to an end, and perhaps that was why Khael was brutal. Atrocities were simple to justify when prosperity and safety were promised; the war had proven that, and she walked away from the crimes she had committed with clear conscience.

But she resumed her training after a heartbeat to rub her hands together, warming them with friction. A misaim that was suitable in one instance would not be suitable in others, and Khael wanted to ensure that she could strike to kill in any condition. The numbness of her fingers and feet made throwing a more difficult task; hide wraps did little to help this. All she could do was fight through it.

Lift, run, throw.
but between my soft hands they die.
Salsola
The Warden
Raze
Luperci Mate to Katinka
in her eyes were embers

POSTED: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:46 pm

Optime | NPCs: Stone and Agate (+743)

Sorry for the long initial rambling Dx

The winter day was one of the more pleasant to be had ever since the colder season had begun. It was not warmer by any means, however, the lack of snowfall or a bitter wind made the day fair enough for Kamari’s cat companions, Stone and Agate, to explore the Kingdom with her. The trio had made it quite a ways from the Kaiser family’s home, making up games as they went to entertain themselves. Mostly though, it meant something that would put the felines’ paws off of the snow-covered ground.

Such was how the three friends had ended up in a tall, patchy-limbed pine tree. Kamari, Stone, and Agate were all pointed in a different direction, their eyes cast out onto the world below them. From their perches, the group had spotted unfortunately little; a few pretty birds that they discussed at length how they would taste, a squirrel that had gotten into a fight with another one for an imagined, personified reason, a few deer searching for food, a rabbit narrowly escaping a hawk’s talons. All of them, mundane things, but, something to keep them entertained between casual conversation nonetheless.

“I spy with my blue eye…something fat—”

“Agate.”

The tailed tomcat let out an indignant hiss. “Rude!”

Kamari laughed but did not otherwise stop, “—that’s prickly—“

“It’s gotta be Stone then.”

“Now you’re just doing this on purpose…”

“Am not!” She retorted despite her laughter, “I really do see something that’s fat and prickly!”

“Show us.”

The jackal hybrid pointed. “Over there see? Waddling on the ground?” Both cats looked.

“Porcupine.”

“Porcu—ah man…”

Stone ignored his cousin’s defeated groan. “Really though, Kamari? A porcupine? We’ve seen at least a dozen of those.”

It was Kamari’s turn to grumble. She adjusted herself on her perch, moving back towards the tree’s trunk. “Fiiiine. Come on, let’s go. We’ve been up here for a few hours already.”

Thank you.” Agate meowed before standing and walking over to where Kamari haphazardly straddled a thick branch. She grabbed him by the scruff and deposited the feline into one of the two messenger bags she’d brought with her for that explicit purpose.

Stone was less enthusiastic about leaving. “Quitting already?” She grabbed him by the scruff too.

“I’m not quitting. I’m finding something better for us to do,” the Tradesman argued as she put him in the opposite bag of Agate’s. The tomcat let out a trying sigh as Kamari began to descend the tree. They had had only a few more branches down to go when Stone spotted something in the distance, something that they had been unable to see with the thicker coverage of the lower pine branches.

“Over there, Kamari.” He warned her, looking from up at her to what he had spotted. The girl paused in her descent, cornflower blue eyes searching the white and brown woodland. It took a moment before she saw movement, a dark figure that moved in a way that suggested a Luperci.

“Hmmm,” she hummed, quickly descending the remaining length of the tree. They were too far into the Kingdom for it to be a troublemaker. So…who could it be? When her feet hit the ground, both cats quickly escaped from their travel bags. It was clear of what their next heading would be, and the two felines eagerly followed after the Kaiser as she led the way.

It didn’t take the trio long to reach the mysterious individual, and, when they came into a clear line of sight of them, Kamari instantly recognized the sooty-furred female. Khael! It was the woman that had been part of the mansion fire mission, as well, someone who had potentially saved Kamari from being a burden to the team. The Tradesman picked up her pace upon recognizing the familiar face.

The fierce jackal woman threw her weapon at the wooden dummy that had been set up, piercing it so deeply that the cats both quietly vocalized their awe. Even Kamari’s brows raised high with amazement. “Woaaah,” she breathed, stopping so as to not interfere with the obvious training that the older Salsolan had been doing. Stone and Agate flanked either side of her. “Do you think that would have killed them?” She asked, eyes shifting from the impaled dummy and then back to the jackal woman.

Kamari Kaiser

Salsola
The Emissary
Songbird
Luperci Sapienza, Vedetta Royalty of a Fallen Kingdom
IF I WEAR A MASK

POSTED: Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:14 pm

[224] holy shit khael really likes her actually HAHAHA

Soft voices mewed, and a breathy Luperci exclamation joined them. Khael twitched one large ear then turned her head to follow its flicker, her narrow face at first tense and unamused -- but when she recognized the small jackal hybrid and noticed the two tomcats, she smiled. It was as much a smile as anyone in Salsola would get from Khael, anyway: something genuine if ill-practiced, splitting across the face, asymmetrical and almost mechanical if not for that personable slant. Her eyes thinned.

"Yes," she said before she walked back to the weapon to retrieve it -- finding it once more off its mark thanks mostly to her numb hands, but deep again. It took her an extra attempt to wrench the weapon free of the scored wood. "Eventually," she added, considering the simplified "anatomy" of the dummy. "Any wound can eventually kill if you are skillful. That would have thrown them off balance or pierced an organ. Either way, I would have dispatched them with my shorter spear."

She spoke very idly of killing things, and said more than she often did, in a flat matter-of-fact tone. She looked back at Kamari and the cats.

"What are you al'atfal up to?" Khael asked, resting the butt of her spear on the ground and ever so slightly softening her flame-colored eyes.
Salsola
The Warden
Raze
Luperci Mate to Katinka
in her eyes were embers

POSTED: Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:47 am

(+340)

Khael turned upon their arrival sharply, and, expression that came with the shifted attention made the Tradesman worry that she had disturbed something important. Almost immediately as her vibrant orange gaze fell upon Kamari and her feline companions though, her features morphed into something less annoyed and more “amused.” The Kaiser wouldn’t call the attempted smile “pleasant” or “welcoming,” but, it definitely lacked the irritated edge that Khael’s expression had originally.

The older jackal removed her spear from the dummy, confirming Kamari’s question regarding the deadly damage that the weapon could have had on a live target. When Khael continued to speak, Kamari moved forward, her cats following like pint-sized bodyguards. Her cornflower blue eyes shifted from the spear that was wrenched free and the scarred, wooden dummy. “So, that coydog that tried to attack me the night we lit the mansion on fire, if you had meant to kill her with your throw, could it have done so rather quickly with this spear alone?”

She was curious, as she had never used something like a spear before. She knew not how it was used or how accurate it was. Logic told her many things, and observation of Khael allowed her to assume others. Still, it was nothing like hearing of its strengths and weaknesses from an actual user.

A question was asked of her then, and the spoken Arabic caused the Kaiser’s ears to prick with interest. “Looking for something fun to do.”

“Our game of I-spy became rather dull,” Stone added.

“I would have never thought of a spear as a weapon for someone of your statures,” Agate remarked, his tail tip slowly waving in the air as his green gaze remained fixated on the spear.

“These two are Stone and Agate, by the way,” Kamari introduced, “Guys, this is Khael, the one I told you two about.” The woman’s appearance and holding a spear in hand alone were enough to explain to them the importance of the jackal before them.

Kamari Kaiser

Salsola
The Emissary
Songbird
IF I WEAR A MASK

POSTED: Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:03 pm

Khael's smile retreated back into shadow when the girl mentioned the Infernian coydog. I did mean to kill her, she said. She had been holding a scratching, frightened cat at the time, and so she wasn't ashamed to admit to her failure. If I had hit, she likely would have died slowly from a pierced organ. If not, then she would have pinned for me to kill.

She glanced at the assegai as she rested against it, and shrugged. I do not often kill with this one. It is for a first strike to make the second more likely to kill. She did not expect to pierce one's throat or heart with the throwing spear; these were small targets. The gut, limbs, chest -- all easier to hit, and enough to cripple so she could go in with something more refined.

She picked her grin back up when the cats admitted to playing eye spy, the patched ginger tom mentioning the weaponry. It was not often she found cats intelligent to speak and understand these things. Yes, it is good to extend your reach, she said -- not really in the tone with which one would address an equal, but Khael rarely addressed others as equals in the first place. We are often small, and it's dangerous to let a foe get in close. This was more true for someone like Kamari; Khael, meanwhile, was large in comparison to her siblings and unafraid of gettin close with an enemy.

What sort of things have you told them? Khael asked. Her tone was flat and might have sounded reproachful, but she wore that same amused look. What sort of things do you find fun... besides I-spy?

Salsola
The Warden
Raze
Luperci Mate to Katinka
in her eyes were embers

POSTED: Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:05 am

(+461)

Oh… Kamari held her tongue from letting the utterance free though. She wasn’t sure how the older jackal might handle the admittance of her misfire. Though, common sense and respect for the woman told her to not comment on the matter. Even having missed her intended target, the thrown spear had helped the little Kaiser disengage from her attacking enemy.

Cornflower blue eyes glanced back at the spear when Khael continued to explain more about it. “So, you typically fight with two spears? One to incapacitate, the other for actual fighting?” Kamari gathered, her curiosity in the dark Salsolan’s fighting style evident in her voice and the energy around her. Even her cats stared at the newly introduced woman with interest, both appearing quite satisfied with the older jackal and her talents thus far.

To her question, Kamari offered a one shouldered shrug. “Lots of things. They’re good for bouncing ideas off of when the only other companion you really have is your twin brother…and he…doesn’t really have a interest for these sorts of things.” Her voice trailed a bit at the mention of Kamil. As much as she loved her sibling, it was frustrating sometimes with how different they were. Kamil was not violent in the slightest. Gentle, sweet, just like their mother. He could not fight, and Kamari doubted he would ever hold a weapon except in some extreme, rare circumstance.

Her cats though. Stone and Agate both had no problem with what Kamari did, in fact, they supported her most times and helped her improve her ideas or techniques. They hunted for their food much like Kamari and her father did. They play fought with each other or would tag team against the Kaiser. They helped her improve her stealth and tracking skills. All around, the cats had become the closest thing Kamari could consider “friends.” The newfound friendship with Krios and partnership with O’Riley only established months later when Kamari could shift and after the war.

“Hide-and-go-seek,” Stone listed.

“Squirrel climbers,” Agate mentioned.

“It’s a tree climbing game,” Kamari clarified before naming a few other things that the trio did, “Sparring in my Lupus form, playing tag, hunting or tracking games.” They were rather childish games, and not something that an adult would probably find much interest in. And, it was to this that caused the Kaiser to let out a nervous chuckle as she scratched the back of her neck, “Mostly, it’s stuff to help me with what I want to do for the Kingdom. Jaegermeister Scorpius and Vesta have helped me with stuff like learning about horses and sparring in my Optime form.”

“What do you do?” The ginger tom inquired in turn.

Kamari Kaiser

Salsola
The Emissary
Songbird
IF I WEAR A MASK

Dead Topics