come back down to my knees

cueponi riddle

POSTED: Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:23 pm

pump your veins with gushing gold

"Bring me fire contained within."

It seemed as simple a riddle as any, but perhaps too simple as a Cueponi, and Julius had rifled through his household over and over, upsetting younger baby siblings when he had knocked a basket off of a table with a misplaced elbow, only for him to haphazardly set it all back. Many things contained fires - hearth, lanterns, candles, but they all seemed... basic. Granted, it had only been a few hours since the task had been set upon him - time seemed quintessential and infintely important in answering.

He had to be clever, and he had to be quick, and was loathe to accept the obvious answers.

Thoughts swirled around and percolated as he considered things more poetic, abandoning his search indoors for answers after, of course, placing items back in their respective places as to avoid the chastising of a disappointed mother. The answer came to him on his doorstep, slowly scooting dirt around with a stick as he mulled over potential answers over and over, thinking of something physical for the existential and transient. It dawned on him suddenly and Julius had sprang back up immediately wheeling back inside to a shelf where Helena kept some stones, and sought out one of the small pinkish shards, chalky and criss-crossed with soft white lines, before he tucked it away into his palm, and all but ran back to the Boss's home.

He was out of breath by the time he had arrived, and he hesitated before her doorstep in order to stoop over a little and breath deep and ragged lungfuls before he went to rap knuckles against her doorway, voice filled with that youthful mirth of discovery.

"Boss, my Queen, it's Julius Valentine, I have my answer!"

ooc stuff here | [wc — --] template by hilli
Salsola
The Family
Despi
Luperci

POSTED: Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:47 pm

Things were easier with winter nearing its end and war once more fading into memory. A long summer would do Salsola well, even if it brought rain. In some places it looked as if the ground needed it, for beyond their borders she had noticed the change and wondered at its meaning. Her husband brought her his own concerns and questions, but for reasons she had long ago dismissed.

But maybe something was changing, and she wondered.

Leaving behind her work, Salvia approached the door and found herself meeting a young boy once again. He was perhaps too young to properly do this, but something drove him forward with haste. Looking at the crowded house in which he lived, she was not terribly surprised. Boys craved structure, she had found. Dullahan could have used more, in hindsight, but he was the most peculiar of her children. She blamed her mother for this, infecting him with all her early attention, but never aloud.

She made certain all these things better left buried remained this way.

Are you certain? Show me what it is, then, she looked down at him, standing in the doorway with a curious expression on her face.

Salsola
The Regent (NPC)
Mel
Luperci Cazadora, Vaquera Mate to Stannis Ultra Mega Chikkun? NO. She is legend... I will send famine and wild beasts against you, and they will rob you of your children.
occam's razor
a wild beast or a god

POSTED: Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:13 pm

The Boss was as terrifying and invoking of attention as ever, even with the silver bled out into her blondes - all the more ethereal, experienced, commanding - There was a minor and quick dip of the boy's head. He could only spare a glimpse, quick and fleeting, into those glowing veridian eyes, jewels set in ivory, and the boy fidgetted subtly beneath their weight.

He was oblivious to the world outside, the changes around them - still young, and petulant, the shallow scratches healing on his muzzle itched and beyond that and his small realm, he was relatively unconcerned. With time he would grow to see it with more serious - with time he would fill his niche. With his head stooped, the boy offered up the pretty pink stone in his palms, roving oceanic eyes over it a moment and clearing his throat - The Tigress was above his petty family beliefs, the concerns of Stones and Divination and an embodiment of the Law.

His answer felt infinitely more complex now, twisting and silly once faced with blue-blooded speculation. Initially he thought the best fire he knew, outside of the literal - anger, love, and thought to dig to the root of the tree.

"I-it's a rose quartz -" he stated lamely, licking over his dark lips a little. "For it is a stone of Heart. My answer is Passion, a fire in us all."

While he had answered with a sense of self-assured confidence, there was hesitance as he passed blue eyes back up to her mercy.

Salsola
The Family
Despi
Luperci

POSTED: Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:32 pm

Dark and sharp, Julius was an oddity in his family. She understood that things like this – aberrations, as they were – occurred every so often but did not overlook a more obvious answer. Her eyes were experienced enough to see people as she saw horses, and read their make.

Here was a young boy so desperate for an identity that he was casting aside the one birth had granted him. There might have been more to it too, her keen eyes warned her. Small cuts fresh and thin, but not small like cat's claws. Her lips pressed together and her expression hardened the longer she looked at them.

This was brief, though, for soon the dark-haired boy presented her with a small flesh-colored stone that fit within her hand.

Salvia turned it over and considered his words.

Come inside, Julius – I'd like you to explain this to me further. Here, she ushered him into the warm building, and after shutting the door guided her young guest to the long couch near the fireplace. A plush pelt covered the majority of this, as did another which hung over the tall-backed chair in which Salvia soon sat. She continued to fiddle with the stone.

Now tell me, why is it that passion makes you think of fire?

Salsola
The Regent (NPC)
Mel
Luperci Cazadora, Vaquera Mate to Stannis Ultra Mega Chikkun? NO. She is legend... I will send famine and wild beasts against you, and they will rob you of your children.
occam's razor
a wild beast or a god

POSTED: Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:52 pm

Salvia's invitation struck him in his chest and his heartbeat stalled a moment, both enthused and terrified of being privy and allowed in a powerful household; there was idle hesitant in his feet as his toes slid against that stoop and she gingerly herded him indoors like a lost duckling, and eager, young eyes drank in his surroundings with an intensive curiosity. It was quiet and clean, far from the chaos of his own household overfull at its seams, and the Boss guided the awestricken boy to the couch.

The Boss's very presence, her atmosphere, was filled with purpose.

Blue eyes watched the stone turn over and over in her fingers, rubbing it rosy from the chalky quality it had, and she questioned him on his reasoning.

"It's hot," he had started, his voice a hushed and wavering little sound. "Like when I'm angry, it's hot, and blinding, and it hurts. Or it's warm, and comforting, and feels like home-" Like Helena's embrace, or her cloak, or when she called him those soft and endearing names that made him feel lighter, welcome. "Like love."

Slowly, the boy folded his hands in his lap, fixing his eyes on his pale claws. "It's what drives us, impulse and ambition alike. Passion can make a man, or utterly destroy him."

He thought of the tales of war and the fire that had engulfed the Coyote Clan across the Bay and their hubris; Till, too, came to thought, a hollowed husk of a man and it made his stomach churn slowly. Measured, Julius drew in a cautious breath, though the twitch of his face was met with a tautness of healing skin and he winced a little, and palms smoothed against that plush pelt, carding fingers through the fibers of hair.

Salsola
The Family
Despi
Luperci

POSTED: Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:57 pm

All the little trinkets on display were older oaths – promises from strangers or the test all their children faced – and Salvia took the one he had offered to her now with the same careful consideration. She was a person whose existence was brought to even more unreal heights by those around her.

Salvia was a woman whose entire existence had been driven by a singular thought.

Simplistic, terribly old and clever, it was what provided her the ease to advance in spite of the dangers of a world so unlike their own. To exist alongside it was to forever risk this. Salsola thrived because it existed in the shadow of a woman who had never forgotten this.

The great scar on her chest betrayed her truths without consequence. Salvia wore Salsola's symbol by right of sacrifice, and having nearly died for it, she did not fear the Outsiders or the interlopers who questioned their Law.

Her Law.

That's a very serious answer, for someone your age, Salvia told the still-thin figure. The coming seasons would see him fill out, she thought. He certainly could not want for food, given the number of providers within his household. To risk losing this warned her of more than the want of ambition, though she supposed he was surrounded by those who showed him what position could mean beyond mere title. It's a great responsibility, too, that you ask to take on. Are you certain you want to leave your home already, Julius?

Salsola
The Regent (NPC)
Mel
occam's razor
a wild beast or a god

POSTED: Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:30 pm

The sound of her home was full of still silence, air radiating and buzzing the sort of heralding calm that beautiful storms had before, after - the moment to which everything was sheltered and heavy, order amidst ensued conflict and chaos. Salvia, in her own right, was a terrifying blizzard - cold and ruthless; but with her came nourishment for the lands she so commanded, and like after the snow, Salsola flourished beneath her hard hand.

Everyone knew this.

When she spoke it made his heart beat with a quick and terrible thunder that lodged young Julius's throat, but he glimpsed up to her with an unwavering gaze, pushing for his confidence through his unease and awe. He could only hope that he was not fully damned by Salsolan law under the heel of Till's foolish mishaps or Calla's questionable paths she so chose.

Are you certain you want to leave your home?

Each rapid beat of his heart against the ivory case of his ribs passed like eons, and turmoil of his home warped behind the oceanic blue of his eyes.

"Yes," he finally breathed, resolute, as hands balled into fists on his knees.

Salsola
The Family
Despi
Luperci

POSTED: Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:34 pm

Then I grant you the rights and responsibilities of becoming Family, Salvia said, and closed her own fist around the stolen stone.

She could have pressed him further about what had driven a boy just barely old enough to stand on two legs the need for such drastic measure, but ambition was enough to warrant this. The blonde woman's face broke into a smile, though she had a predatory look about her that warned against seeking too much from the expression.

We will announce this at the Last Supper, though you may inform those close to you as you see fit. Should you choose, you may seek and establish your own home. I suggest you not wait to seek out your superiors and make yourself useful to the Family as best you can. You should decide what it is you mean to do in life, if you haven't already. Of course, she waved her hand and broke the spell of seriousness lingering in the room, rising to her feet soon after.

I think that what you do well is equally as important as what you like to do. Tell me what you enjoy, Julius.

Salsola
The Regent (NPC)
Mel
occam's razor
a wild beast or a god

Dead Topics