Cooking up a Storm

[p] - Jaketta

POSTED: Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:45 pm

Micheal peered through the growing gloom. The day had been overcast and the light was leaving the world early, another clear sign that winter was on its way, not that the grey eyed youth needed any further indication. The wind was frigid and gusted mercilessly through gaps in his cloak, the night would be very cold and he desperately wished he was inside. His coyote genetics were not made for this sort of weather, but his presence had been requested, not really the right word, at the east watch tower.

Micheal had been cooking near the servants’ quarters after having scrounged a pot and some basic utensils, and began to cook. The rabbit had been hunted and the vegetables found growing wild within the borders. The youth was hazy on whether he was just allowed to dig up stuff growing with the pack’s territory, but no one had said anything. Of course, he had no seasonings, so had to rely on the salt from the meat. With what he had, Micheal had cooked a stew. The smell had attracted a ranked pack member.

The most striking thing Micheal noticed about her were the gold adornments she wore. Never before had the youth seen a Luperci wearing such jewellery. She had not deigned to give him her name, though he later found out her name was Jaketta Nocturne, but she had approached and, without hesitation or a request for permission, and with a sense of entitlement Micheal found breathtaking, she had tasted the stew, complimenting him on its taste and telling him to come and cook for her in three nights at the east watch tower. The manner in which she spoke made it clear she thought this was an honour, and Micheal had been too shocked to be indignant, there hadn’t been time for it anyway, as soon after that she had left.

So now here Micheal was, standing in the fading light and looking at the darkening silhouette of the east watch tower, doubtless the remnants of a civilisation gone from these lands, and were it not for the ministrations of the pack, would have doubtless been claimed by nature long ago. Moving forward he looked for a door before knocking on it.

”Lady Jaketta? It’s Micheal, you asked me to cook for you tonight?”

Another blast of cold air made him wince, and Micheal shifted his weight, doing his best to keep moving and keep any stiffness from setting in.

OOC: WC 412
Last edited by Micheal on Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Salsola
The Mendicant
Draiko
Luperci

POSTED: Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:57 pm

The ingredients had been collected and a deal had been cut, or rather a command barked. Jaketta had the pleasure of finding Micheal in the servants quarters, as he whipped up a magnificent meal with simple ingredients. She saw this as an opportunity. Good food was a good way to warm up even the coldest of Salsolans. Jaketta planned on having Micheal cook a meal that could be gifted to her superiors in a offering of good tidings. The blood laced jackal would stop at nothing to get where she wanted to be.

Jak had a strong fire burning in she and her mother's new home. Beside it, a black cauldron to boil ingredients and above it, a cast iron skillet for Micheal to cook in. She had incense burning, one she'd made herself out of sap and various herbs, in a small clay dish. A knock drew her attention to the door, which was already open an accepting of tonight's guest. Still, the coyote hybrid lingered outside in the cold. Jak took a while to answer, moving various things around to make it visually appealing. All the herbs she collected, and a couple select spices she traded for.

Yes, come in. It's cold outside. I'm sure you, like me, do not fair well in the winter months. She had her purple cloak on to help fight off the bitter chill of the evening. The fire was helping as well and would be more effective once Micheal entered and shut the door behind him. Close the door on your way in. She commanded with a soft voice, waiting for him to make his way towards her.

With a graceful hand, Jak gestured over to the array of ingredients she had laid out for Micheal to use. There was some rabbit, deer, and fowl for him to choose from. She wasn't a cook, so she wasn't quite sure what she needed to create the ultimate offering, but she was sure Micheal would know. She had all the basics, and a few extras. I gathered everything I thought you would need. Although, I am not a cook. Take a look and see if it's sufficient. If it wasn't, she'd see if she could gather what he needed on short notice. You are new here, and you are going to help me make a good impression on our superiors. There was no need for pleases or thank yous. This was what Micheal was meant to do.
Salsola
The Warden
Sami
Luperci Witch Nocturne Family: The Untamed Heart
Defiant Star

POSTED: Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:30 pm

Micheal didn’t need to be invited twice, gratefully stepping inside. Being out of the wind and feeling the fire made the young hybrid shiver as his body warmed up. Jaketta was right, he wasn’t made for this climate. As the ranked member commanded, Micheal closed the door, bowing respectfully to her as he did so, just like Silas had taught him. He remained silent as she spoke, moving to the ingredients and utensils as she spoke, but as she had not asked him a direct question he said nothing, still trying to understand what was appropriate. Helena, on that first night, had always told him never to speak unless spoken to. Jaketta had not asked for any comment, but when she gestured at the kitchen, Micheal had moved there. His hands stroking, squeezing and prodding. The grey eyed youth put things to one side and oriented himself. He took the deer meat, placing it on a wooden block before reaching for a large knife, the steel glinted ominously as Micheal tested the keenness of the blade. There was a brief scent of blood, before the youth licked his finger, clearly satisfied. Micheal was still learning, but these things were simple, while his cutting wasn’t as quick as his mother’s had been, it was still as fine. The meat was thinly sliced, and once he had enough he retrieved a wooden plate, putting the meat on it. Finding a bowl he selected and crushed several different seasonings, including salt and pepper. Grinding them all with a pestle until it was a fine dust, he rubbed the seasoning into the thin slices. Once he was satisfied he raised the wooden plate and turned, offering the morsels to Jaketta.

”This is often served at the start of a meal. It is simple and quick, but effective. It can be made with many meats, as long as they are thinly sliced. It would be nice with a certain leaf, but I haven’t seen it grown here, and I think it may be too cold in these lands.”

Perhaps he was speaking out of turn, but how was he supposed to explain his food if he did not speak. Of course, he made sure to keep his head bowed slightly and his eyes averted, waiting on her verdict.

OOC: WC 383
Salsola
The Mendicant
Draiko
Luperci

POSTED: Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:06 pm

No further time was wasted once Jak invited the servant inside, and he offered her a bow in exchange. A warm smile crept onto her slender features as he did so. He was smart. Learning his place would keep him alive in the throws of his ferocious masters. Then, just like that MIcheal went to work, moving around the various items and ingredients she placed out for his use. It was clear even from the moment he walked up to the table that he was skilled in his craft.

Blood and gold hues watched him intently as he oriented himself, soon reaching for the knife she had placed out. She knew a weapon might be dangerous in the hands of someone without rank, possibly hiding a world of torment beneath a pleasing smile. Jak knew the way the pack worked, and feared little what he might choose to do with the knife if he chose to lash out. The Tradesman was not untrained or unskilled when it came to combat. Micheal lashing out would mean the end for him, surely he knew that by now.

Again, Micheal made the right decision and began slicing the meat. She continued to watch, noting what seasonings he chose and how he prepared them. Once the entree was complete, he offered some to her. The seasonings wafted into her nose, beckoning her to consume the prepared dish. Femine fingers reached out to grab a piece and place it in her mouth, which watered profusely once the morsel hit her tongue. Micheal explained the dish in detail.

Very good. It's a good testament to your abilities. I need something that can be gifted though, and saved until then. I trust you can make this come to fruition. Jak offered Micheal a toothy grin, before her tongue slipped out between dark to lap at her lips and nose. It's important you have skills like this, they will make you useful to your pack. She commented offhandedly. You're lucky. Now, get to work. The blood laced witch turned away from Micheal to tend to the fire, keeping it well stoked in case Micheal needed the flame for his cooking.
Salsola
The Warden
Sami
Defiant Star

POSTED: Mon Dec 24, 2018 7:07 am

Micheal watched the ranked member’s reaction to the food, and couldn’t help feeling a little pride at her words, though he hated himself for it. It had been his family that had taught him how to cook, and stupid as it was, he felt that if he kept cooking, then somehow they’d never really die. Jak’s words interrupted his thoughts, and he listened to her tell him how lucky he was. He remained silent, but he felt himself tense very slightly. He didn’t resent his position, it had been his choice to become what he had been, but luck? He left the board of thinly sliced meat beside the female and turned back around, looking again at what he had to work with.

”Spring is a better time to give a gift of food Lady. I can dress a haunch of deer, rub it and make it ready to be roasted. If I cook something now then it will be cold by the time you gift it. However, if I prepare it, then it can be cooked when it is needed.”

Without waiting for her to reply, Micheal began his preparations. If Jak insisted that it were cooked now, then he could do that, but either way, the meat needed to be prepared. He began to grind ingredients for the rub. Whatever the Lady’s reply, Micheal had no doubt that food for now would also be required, so that was something he would have to do. Not for the first time, Silas sitting and signing at him in their hut swam into his mind’s eye. The glut of food that sat before him was certainly more than Micheal would likely see. Of course he could hunt for himself, but his duties gave him little time for that and the food he managed to scrounge up was never enough.

As he worked, he also studied the ranked member subtly. The entire pack seemed a strange one. In his relatively short life, Micheal had only ever known his own and been told stories of others, never had he heard of one like this one. The members he had met so far were, cautious of one another? Wrangling and duplicity seemed rife, and any show of weakness of vulnerability were instantly ceased upon and exploited. In Micheal’s experience pack was family, support and love, you each bolstered the weaknesses of others.

”May I ask lady, do you live here alone? I have never seen so many ruins left behind before, and it seems like many of the pack could live here.”

It was not a hint of his own accommodation, most of the time he’d spent outside, never in buildings, but then his pack’s territory had been a great deal warmer than this. It just seemed strange that members of this pack did not live closely with one another, and he was trying to understand the strange ways of this pack.

OOC: WC 488
Salsola
The Mendicant
Draiko
Luperci

POSTED: Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:31 pm

WC: 582

She was soft. Jaketta knew she was softer than her Salsolan counterparts. Never would she allow it to blockade her path. In moments like these, she didn't see the use in forcing rank. Yes, she was a ranked member and Micheal was a servant, but what had he done to receive such cruelty. If the situation called for it, Jaketta would not refrain from lashing out. It was her duty to do as such.

The Medicant seemed to lighten up at her words, going on to explain the challenges of preparing food to be gifted. Jak contemplated his words as her eyes blazed over at Micheal. It was clear she was carefully considering the knowledge he had to offer.

Go ahead and prepare it then, be back in a few days to cook it. I have no experience in roasting anything and I would like it to be cooked the way it is meant to be. I will keep it cold until then. Micheal was already preparing the meat, rubbing the appropriate ingredients into the fresh venison. It smelled lovely, similar to herbs were used during ritual or prayer. A relaxed smile rolled across her lips as her nose lifted to test the air, inhaling the sublime scents. Her mind played with the idea that maybe if something smelled good, like a combination of herbs, that it would taste good if used as ingredients in a meal. She was no chef though, and the idea was simply something to fill her head space while Micheal cooked.

Micheal spoke, without being spoken to. She was quiet for a moment, letting him stew in the fact that in most situations that was not acceptable. One large blood dipped ear tilted backwards as she offered him an intense glance and subtle glare.

If you must know. I live here with my mother. Surely Micheal didn't think that all the occult trinkets that littered their home all belonged to her. No, most of it belonged to Maelyx. What belonged to her, were the many skulls she procured from a variety of animals. The skulls were painted with whatever colors she was able to find, some painted in blood or berries, and were decorated with flowers, herbs, and leaves. Most of them had a crown made of such ingredients, and some had crowns of thorn from Salsola's thistle plants. They were dangerous looking items, but each of them beckoned only good things to come for whoever believed in their power.

Jaketta shifted around the room, swaying thick hips as she walked. Her hands delicately touched several of the trinkets as she passed by them. Yes, many could live here. One day, maybe many will. There are several homes that house multiple Salsolans. We enjoy the solace of living alone. It gives us freedom to practice our craft without prying eyes. She and her mother often held intimate rituals that should not be seen by wandering eyes. They spoke to their deities, and interlaced their own energies with that of their Goddesses. It was important she remain in touch with the stars that were her home for so long.

There was a fondness in her eyes as she waltzed around the room, coming to stand next to Micheal. Her hand rested on his arm, a subtle display of dominance that she thought nothing of. Smells lovely. I bet it will smell even better when its roasted. She smiled, a kind smile, despite her previous disposition.
Salsola
The Warden
Sami
Defiant Star

POSTED: Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:46 pm

The Mendicant felt the pause like a blow to the face. One of the first things he had been told was that he should never speak unless first spoken to. The cooking though had made him forget where and what he was. The oh so normal activity, shared among family, along with the smells, had, for a moment, made it feel as though he was back home. The silent stare from one of his masters was like a bucket of frigid water being thrown over him. The quandary was, should he apologise? To do so would mean he’d need to speak again, but if not, then he’d seem as though he’d thought nothing of it. Finally, Michael allowed his body to speak for him, his posture was apologetic and submissive. The ranked member answered him though, and he listened quietly, his eyes and hands intent on the task she had set for him. His eyes flicked to the various knickknacks and ornaments that decorated the interior of the space. Doubtless all had meaning, all had symbolism, and all of it was lost on the youth. Questions about all the objects swirled inside of him, but this time Micheal knew better than to say anything.

The ranked member touched him then, a not unexpected thing. In his pack it had been to reinforce bonds of friendship and family, here it was always about dominance. As the ranked member came up behind Micheal though, her body close to his, something sparked in him. It was an emotion, still mostly dormant, but its waking drawn closer by the contact. Micheal felt his pelt beginning to prickle and where the female touched he felt hotter. The youth looked down at her fingers to see if she had rubbed something into them, but it was just her fingers. His stomach tense, his pulse quickening slightly and strange sensation he’d not felt before. The Mendicant stopped rubbing the meat, his breath hitching for a moment. Confusion swept across his face, unsure what had just happened, but knowing that this female’s proximity had caused it. After another moment he began his work again, watching as the colour of the meat changed from the mix that was massaged into the flesh.
Salsola
The Mendicant
Draiko
Luperci

Salsola