the beauty of this mess

POSTED: Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:51 pm

The mushroom caps were heavy in the pocket of her gown – if she could even call it such a thing. Elphaba had clothed in a dress that seemed to be made of heavy canvas, though it cinched tightly across her bosom and hung in waves around her knees. Everything she wore was colorless and made for winter, with large pockets stitched crookedly so that she could warm her hands.

Everything felt too tight here – a land filled with tradition and whispered secrets that made the land entirely too small. Odalis was given her freedom outside of the Throne Room, but it was a freedom that was carefully watched and assessed. Sometimes she saw a tiny fox flitting through the brush that surrounded the snow-covered tower – or a perfectly white cat who would disappear soon after being spotted… and she would forget all over again what it was that had brought her outside in the first place.

Her universe was made up of the stone room that she slept in. There it was safe and warm – and The Boss ensured that she was well fed. Her eye was less sticky now, but still not reopened. Odalis’ good eye took note of what she could before the pain set in each morning as she rose to complete her morning tasks – cleaning the hearth and preparing the woman’s tea.

The effects of the mushroom were welcome – and she could feel the familiar warmth bubbling beneath her skin as she set about collecting sticks for kindling in the area around The Boss’ home.

Quick Note: I don't know that Odalis understands her place as an Indentured Servant! So this is an experiment on how she reacts amongst other Salsolans!

Salsola
Indentured Servant
Amanda
Maintenance Aide (I GOT THAT BROOM BROOM BROOM)
straight through the smoke

POSTED: Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:55 pm

Everyone I know
Goes away in the end

Andrew often passed through the Millstone on the way to the western seaside ruins where Helena's tower loomed high over broken, craggy cliffs. He'd come from the pine barrens, a deep and dense forest ripe for logging. With him, he led his master's horse who pulled a cart full of workable lumber. Walnut. Birch. Oak. Yet, Andrew avoided the pines, refusing to even look at them wrong lest he attract the young queen's scorn for disobeying her decree. Despite her protection extending only to the Blackwoods, Andrew remained cautious out of fear.

His arms ached, muscles knotted and tight from the repeated motion of swinging his axe. He longed for rest, for sleep -- for poppy. The drug's warm embrace waited for him upon his return home.

Despite having passed though the Millstone before, Andrew felt familiar pangs of worry well in his chest. This was a place for Salsolan elite, those within the queen's innermost circle; somewhere he did not belong. The queen's throne room was near, so Andrew kept his head down and continued along the path in the hopes that no one would notice him. A woman, presumably another servant, gathered sticks nearby.

Had he not seen her face, particularly, her swollen eye, Andrew would have continued without a word. It was like seeing himself in the mirror. How he'd been when he'd first been purchased -- before he'd accepted his lot. First, he passed her by before hesitating and bidding the horse to stop with a raised palm. He turned toward the servant and cast his gaze down. The queen's scent was heavy upon her.

There was a lingering pause, awkward, in which Andrew thought of his words carefully. "Did they-- did they hurt you?" he asked.

OOC text here!
We are what we are. Get in the goddamn car.
Salsola
The Family
Ryan
Luperci Creatore I HAVE A BIG HEAD AND LITTLE ARMS

POSTED: Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:27 am

Collecting the kindling was a menial task that dulled the wandering thoughts that brewed in her head. This place was unlike anything she had ever been exposed to – Salsola was a land entrenched in tradition and a culture that was both savage and unforgiving. Odalis bent to pull a branch toward herself and gazed after the dark line that it left in the snow. There were tiny footprints that ran along the edge of the rock wall that marked the roads edge, and she couldn’t help but wonder what free creature had left such a thing for her to find.

It felt both mocking and wonderful at the same time.

She straightened and hissed through her teeth, pressing the back of her hand to her forehead as her temples throbbed fiercely. There were few members of the Kingdom that passed by Elphaba’s tower – though Odalis struggled to sort through the names and ranks of those who lingered in her quarters. Once the sun set she had learned that she was to be banished to her room unless she was summoned – and each evening Odalis would watch through the narrow windows as the shadows grew and grew.

The voice caught her of guard, and she dropped the stick with a tremor.

The man who sat mounted atop his horse on the other side of the wall was obviously of coyote blood; with tall ears and a narrow muzzle dashed with bits of cream and silver. His eyes were green – a color that seemed to follow her here in this place unbidden. The mans brows were pinched, a hand raised as he spoke.

"Did they-- did they hurt you?"

She sniffed and gave her head a petulant shake.

”Why do you care?”

She realized too late the bite in her voice and dropped her one-eyed gaze quietly.

Quick Note: I don't know that Odalis understands her place as an Indentured Servant! So this is an experiment on how she reacts amongst other Salsolans!

Salsola
Indentured Servant
Amanda

POSTED: Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:04 pm

Everyone I know
Goes away in the end

The woman turned immediately, regarding Andrew with a familiar crossness. Both defensive and scared, Andrew didn't blame her for the hostility -- in fact, perhaps it made him more sympathetic to the stranger. For not too long ago, he'd worn the same expression to hide his fear amidst a pack of strangers, enemies. In time the bruises faded, but the fear, that remained ever present.

Casting his gaze down, Andrew slid from the back of his master's horse. "I--" he started, thinking to explain himself. However, he ultimately decided against it. Why did he care? It was truly too much to say, and showing vulnerability was still far beyond his limited grasp. So he swallowed his words away and instead looked upon tower.

"You're hers, aren't you?" Andrew asked after a moment, though it was safe to assume due to scent and proximity to the throne room that she belonged to the queen. He supposed, like him, she was one of the lucky ones for Elphaba had not yet shown him the scope of her cruelty.

He moved toward her with slow, tentative steps. "I, uh -- I'm Andrew," he spoke. "The Quartermaster's." He too belonged to someone else.

OOC text here!
Salsola
The Family
Ryan

POSTED: Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:03 am

It was difficult to balance the subservience with the obstinate streak that ran through her like a steel rod. The drugs helped to dull her sharper edges, though she could still feel the rough way her heart grated against her ribs. Every once in a while, she would remind herself that Solomon was dead – his body limp and forgotten amongst a collection of rotten leaves. It was an image that haunted her even during wakefulness, and so it was that she found herself working about Elphabas throne room or wandering through the Ruins just before dark.

It felt strange to consider that she was hers.

It felt strange to consider that she belonged to anyone at all.

The hiss in her throat was akin to a strangle. ”Yes, I suppose I do.” The world spun on its axel, and she was forced to balance herself against the stone wall that ran between them. There was a collection of slaves in Salsola that belonged to all manner of highranked members – and though Elphaba had not introduced her to all of the names that dotted her emerald kingdom, she was sure that the Quartermaster was someone of the nobility.

She bobbed her head, ignoring the lull of music that played in the back of her head.

”I don’t… I don’t know who that is.”

The admission had her ears drooping slightly forward, though she became entranced with the soft look of the horse’s face as it turned toward her. She suddenly missed Bardi terribly and hoped that someone in the Court was looking after him despite her absence. ”Have you been here a long time?” She noticed the thick collar about his neck and felt her brows quirk with questions that did not tumble into her mouth.

”I was told I would work until my debt was paid.”

Salsola
Indentured Servant
Amanda

POSTED: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:59 pm

Everyone I know
Goes away in the end

They were the lucky ones, Andrew repeated. Lucky to have found justice in in Salsola's protective arms. Whatever harm had befallen the poor woman, he hoped it had reached its end. For he held a debt, but would one day walk among the rest as a free man. Helena had told him so through poppy tempered whispers. Yet, his debt was great and seemingly indefinite, but it was his own choice to remain. He'd denied freedom once before.

Andrew listened, nodding with affirmation. If she didn't know of Helena, she certainly hadn't been in Salsola long. "Months," Andrew answered, though it felt decidedly longer. In servitude, he'd seen the seasons change. Everything changed.

He paused for a moment. "The holder of my debt, Helena," he explained. Even the name held power. "She saved my life -- saved me from bad men who would do me harm." The slavers still haunted his dreams. That smile. The black dog's crooked smile was so burned into Andrew's memory that he felt the sharp pangs of dread fill his stomach whenever the thought of them crossed his mind. They left him tainted. Ruined. "I hope you find peace here."

He was still searching for it himself.

Andrew offered her his hand, slow and gentle. "You're looking for firewood. Let me help you." The lumber in the cart was not yet dry, but given time, it would do.

OOC text here!
Salsola
The Family
Ryan

POSTED: Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:32 am

She learned new names every day. There were Revlis’ and Eternity’s, Lykoi and Ulrich. They were all names that had meant nothing to Odalis before joining The Kingdom, but now they were becoming a part of her every day. In Onuba there had been different names – wonderful noble names that she had never anticipated missing from her life. It was in these moments when the nostalgia crept back into her life, tremulous and sweet, that she ached for the golden moments spent with her mother in Sapient; or the time spent with her brothers all that time ago.

Her lips twitched, and for a moment she forgot that Andrew Winthrop was there at all.

He had been here for months. The answer had her wondering how long she would spend here before she would find her release into the world beyond. Helena had saved his life – had brought him to Salsola in an effort to lay claim to him. It was a story that seemed similar to her own, and it made her ears lift as she teetered toward him. ”We have…” She bit her lip and leaned on the wall, ”Similar stories.”

She clicked her teeth as he came to join her, ”Elphaba saved me.”

Saved. It seemed like such a strange word to use here.

”Do you feel that way?” She took his offered hand shyly, ducking her head so that the fringe of her auburn hair fell into her eyes, ”I don’t know how to feel.”

It was one of the first truths she had offered since being brought here.

Color danced in the edge of her vision – creeping emerald, violet, and indigo – and she paused a moment to observe the shadows before glancing up at him with a smile.

”Thank you.”

Salsola
Indentured Servant
Amanda

POSTED: Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:05 pm

Everyone I know
Goes away in the end

Saved -- the common thread between them. Salsola had its way of preying on the broken, the downtrodden. It was a fair exchange, Andrew thought; service in trade for safety from a cruel and uncaring world. Yet safety, that was a lie he told himself to justify his willingness to serve. He'd been plucked from the fire and thrust in the frying pan, but Helena's insistence that he was under her protection rang true in Andrew's memory.

After all, there was security in being the property of a powerful individual.

"I do," Andrew answered, "and so should you." It had taken time for him see the truth of it as well. Now, he thought only what Helena told him to think. A drone, and she, his handler. "For now, you're the Queen's property. To hurt you would be to deface the Queen herself," he offered. No one would dare. They could be mean. They could be cruel. But they could not harm her.

"You have no one to fear but her," he continued, casting his gaze up toward the great stone tower. He paused and sucked in breath, "But Elphaba is fair." Merciful, even

Andrew offered a careful hand to lead her to the back of his cart. "Come, he instructed. "Take anything you need."

OOC text here!
Salsola
The Family
Ryan

Dead Topics