A Hole Heap of Trouble

[p] - Odalis

POSTED: Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:40 am

For a little while now there had been no incidents, and Micheal’s days were beginning to blur into mundane routine. Wake up, work, learn from Silas and then try to sleep. One thing that had not changed were the nightmares. Sleep did not cease to be hard to come by and when it came, it was fitful. The work was physically challenging, but required very little brain power, although concentration was key. There were ranked members that would watch for a mistake, and if they found one would become…annoyed. His duties had changed Micheal physically. He had grown stronger, muscle, lean and corded, had filled him out, making his shoulders broader, but his inability to hunt as often as he needed, meant he still looked slim around the waist. The musty cloak had become a permanent feature in the winter months, as had the white cloth he wrapped around his neck to hide the mark made there. The snowfall had made work harder, slogging through heavy drifts carrying bundles of wood was never a lot of fun, but fires were needed, now more than ever, and so Micheal found himself doing exactly that when he heard the call.

At first he wondered if his ears were playing tricks, but when it came again Micheal’s ears captured it, and his head turned in the direction from which it came. The youth was slightly dismayed to find that the call came from closer to the borders. While it was of course still within Salsola’s territory, the last thing Micheal wanted ranked members to believe, was that he was trying to escape. However, the call came once more, and Micheal’s heart wasn’t able to ignore the clear request for help. So, still carrying the wood, the young Mendicant made his way towards the source of the call.

The hole was large, a very obvious gash in the snow, but Micheal could see brush clinging to its edges, and motes of snow still tumbling in. Clearly this had been a trap, concealed and a rude shock to trespassers, or perhaps unwary Mendicant, because Micheal had never been made aware of these…deterrents. Placing the wood on the ground to free his hands, the youth moved cautiously forward to peer over the edge and into the depths of the trap.

It was just as well that it was daylight, because without the natural light that shone in from above, Micheal would never have spotted the face looking back at him. Her eyes were a light blue, their intensity mellowed by a mix of grey. While it was hard to make out too fine a detail, he could see her pelt went from a copper down to a pale shade, and liberally spattered with dark splotches, though perhaps that was the dirt from the hole. Micheal noted she was beautiful, and felt his ears burn slightly, though he wasn’t sure why. A number of questions ran through his head and were quickly dismissed Are you okay? asked to someone who’d fallen down a hole seemed to be bordering on the mocking. Can I help? might’ve seemed more sensible, but again the answer ”get me out of this hole” seemed like the obvious response. Instead Micheal asked.

”Are you hurt Lady?”

If she was injured, knowing how badly would help to get her out. He didn’t recognise the Luperci and perhaps she was a trespasser. Micheal wondered what the penalty for helping an intruder out of the trap would be, but he was sure he could guess. Perhaps she was a ranked member though? All of this could wait until the Luperci in the hole was safely out.

OOC: WC 610
Salsola
The Mendicant
Draiko
Luperci

POSTED: Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:26 pm

She had taken to wandering the realms when her work was done. It took her further afield from Elphaba’s cold-stone tower and each day revealed new things to her. The Ruins were sprawling and each path lead to a different member of the so-called Kingdom. They were all self-righteous, covetous creatures and Odalis couldn’t help but feel that there were similarities between the Onuban Courts and this place. There were old bloodlines here that seeped into the history of this place – though she only knew of her ‘Masters’ name.

As a servant she was not given allowances to the richer backstory of The Kingdom, but she attempted to learn what she could – ignoring the red fox that sometimes followed her, or the pale cat that sometimes sat upon the stone wall that bordered her home.

She had learned early on that Salsola had eyes everywhere.

She wore a long tunic that hung around her knees – a left over relic from a slave in Elphabas past. It was dirty around the hem and the sleeves were too long on her thin frame – but it afforded her hands a welcome relief from the cold. The morning brought with it a dusting of glittering snow, and it landed like dust atop the fire-red of her hair. Her long ears twitched at a peculiar bird call – and she twisted her head in an effort to see it.

Odalis didn’t see the trap until it was too late.

The earth opened up to engulf her and she tumbled to the bottom of a pit with excruciating force. She felt the breath pushed from her lungs, her limbs tangling in vines and leaves as she finally hit the bottom. The dirt walls reminded her of her cel in Concrete Jungle and as snow fell in from above she began to panic, her breath coming in great gulps of air. Her lungs screamed and she felt as if the walls were teetering towards her – the open hole above a gaping maw which meant to swallow her whole.

Her ankle ached as if it had been rolled – but she ignored the feeling in an effort to scrabble her way out. The edge was just out of reach.

She wept, wiping her eyes with the long dirty sleeves before she finally threw back her head and howled a doggish bay in an effort for someone to come and find her.

For a moment she wondered if Ciprian had set the trap – but deep down she knew that it was impossible.

He was gone. Ruckus had ended his life in the snow.

She shuddered as snow drizzled in from above, dotting her shoulders and melting against her clothes.

Odalis was surprised when a small face peered in over the edge. He had bright eyes that were pale colored, a long nose that was banded with russets and grey – but above all she thought that he had a kind expression. She gulped and extended her hands toward him – but he was still too far away.

”I-I hurt my ankle… but otherwise I am alright.”

She sniffed and wiped her nose, ”Can you get me out?”

Sorry for the wait Draiko! :> Thank you so much for starting!!!

Salsola
Indentured Servant
Amanda
Maintenance Aide (I GOT THAT BROOM BROOM BROOM)
straight through the smoke

POSTED: Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:46 pm

Micheal’s moved forward as she spoke, and was relieved to hear that she wasn’t too badly hurt. Her request for help meant she couldn’t be a ranked member, if that were the case she’d just have demanded help. Was she an intruder? If she was and Micheal helped her, then he’d get into a whole lot of trouble. With his head over the edge he looked around at their surroundings, it looked like there was no one around, and while that wasn’t always an indication of whether one was alone in Salsola, it was good enough for him. Micheal looked back down at those intensely blue eyes and grinned reassuringly.

”Of course. One moment lady.”

That said he disappeared from the mouth of the hole and stood up. He didn’t have rope, and wasn’t even sure if there was any in the store. Of course, even if there was, could he take it, help the stranger and put it back before its absence was noticed? The answer was obvious to Micheal, but he was a little reluctant. Realising it’d not be for too long, he sighed and undid the clasp of his musty fur cloak.

Instantly the cold hit him, his pelt standing on end as it tried to retain as much heat as it could. Micheal’s genetics were never meant for this cold. The fur cloak had been a blessing, and an acknowledgement that he’d be useless as a slave if he was frozen solid. Doing his best he rolled it up as tightly as it would go, twisting it, for added strength. That done he tossed one end down to the female. The youth knew that there wasn’t much of a climb up, but if her ankle was hurt it might be quite an experience.

”Grab hold. I can pull, but you need to try and hobble on the walls if you can.”

If truth be told, this was all improvisation, Micheal had never had to get anyone out of a hole before, so if this didn’t work, then there’d have to be a sit down and think.

OOC: SoSu WC 350
Salsola
The Mendicant
Draiko
Luperci

POSTED: Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:39 pm

Odalis knew that there were other slaves in Salsola – other members who had been bought or sold into indentured servitude. She had met only a few of them since she had been found cast listlessly against the snow – though the others seemed content with the position that had been offered to them in this life. Odalis struggled to keep the balance that was expected of her, for as O’Riley had said, she was expected to obey.

In some ways she was lucky. Elphaba gave her freedom so long as her tea was drank and her chores were completed. The freedom was usually met with idle wandering that took her through the remaining ruins, or to the stable where the horses were kept. She still thought it odd that Elphabas home had a stable, as she had never seen Elphaba ride or ask for a horse to be brought to her.

She thought of Bardi sometimes and hoped that the Court had found a purpose for the old farm horse. He was kind, with a big dark face with a dashing blaze that ran straight up from his velvety nose.

The boy who gazed down upon her was still in his youth, and as he disappeared, she stood on her tiptoes and dug her fingertips deep into the snow.

”Help!” She shouted it one more time, as if to assure herself that he wouldn’t abandon her to her fate in the deep dark hole.

When he reappeared, she attempted a grin, rocking back on her heels so that she could wrap her hands into the cloak that he extended toward her. It was twisted for strength, and she wound it around her wrist and attempted to scale the side of the pit with the foot that did not pulsate miserably.

It was slow going, as every once in awhile Odalis would lose her footing or the boy would slide in the snow – but eventually she was able to swing her leg up over the lip to roll panting in the snow.

”Thank you.” She pushed back her hair with her wrists, relishing in the solid ground that now lay beneath her.

Salsola
Indentured Servant
Amanda

POSTED: Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:40 pm

Micheal was glad that the hole wasn’t any deeper. The cloak wouldn’t have reached otherwise. Throwing the end down there was only half the battle, and getting an injured Luperci out of the pit was a struggle. The female’s wounded ankle meant she put little weight through it, and so as she climbed there would be sharp tugs on the cloak, meaning for periods, the youth would be supporting her full weight, more as there would be momentum tugging downwards, and he would slip. By the time he heaved backwards and saw her get her leg over the lip, Micheal no longer needed the warmth from the cloak, billows of cloudy breath fogged in front of him, and his heart raced from the exertion, but his lips parted in a grin as she spoke to him.

”You’re welcome.” He replied good naturedly, and for an instant he wasn’t a slave, he was just someone helping out. That quickly faded though and he nodded respectfully to her, not knowing who this was, but wondered if she was a member, as her tattered and grubby clothing would suggest otherwise. Still, in Salsola it wasn’t always easy to tell, so best to be respectful when you’re the lowest rung on the ladder.

Now she wasn’t obscured by the gloom of the hole, Micheal saw that she was older than him, perhaps by several years, but she was beautiful. Her hair, although still flecked with dirt, held wonderfully multi-toned hues of honey and fawn, she was slim, although that could merely just be from a Salsolan diet, and her eyes were a captivating blue. He caught himself staring, and unused to the feelings that a pretty girl instilled, he felt his face heat from embarrassment, quickly starting a conversation.

”If I may ask. What happened? Are you new to the pack miss?”

His tone remained respectful and his tail hold low between his legs, a clear sign of submission.

OOC: SoSu WC 325
Salsola
The Mendicant
Draiko
Luperci

POSTED: Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:46 am

The hole seemed to be a metaphor to her entire life. Odalis had spent her time in Nova Scotia stuck inside pit after pit – first wandering through her first winter alone, than discovering the safe haven to the south that had brought with it the Usurper, and then Ciprian. She had tried her whole life to hide from the nobility that was rightfully hers; had attempted to cast away all of the pieces of her mother that had been gilded within her – but instead she had emerged alone and captive in Salsola.

She had climbed and climbed – an effort that had her gritting her teeth and grunting each time she was forced to touch her injured paw to the ground. Michael stared at her as she caught her breath, and Odalis felt her teeth chatter as she lay there recovering upon the banks of snow. Where the frost touched her, she felt her body go cold and she hugged her sweater around herself, tucking pieces of hair behind her ears as she assessed her twisted ankle.

”I did not know that Salsola set traps like this.” It seemed a stupid thing to say – for of course a pack so secretive would have all manner of things to keep some out and other in. ”It caught me by surprise… I wasn’t paying attention.” She hissed through her teeth and tossed her head, ignoring the rush that went to her head as she blinked at the boy. His tail was tucked close to his body, and she wondered for the first time if he too was afforded her station in life.

”New enough.” She shuddered, ”I was found and brought here some time ago.”

She chuckled, but the sound was dry in her throat, ”Time flies when you’re having fun.”

Salsola
Indentured Servant
Amanda

POSTED: Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:36 pm

No doubt many in the pack would think him an idiot for being soft hearted, but despite everything Micheal had managed to keep a semblance of his compassion. A foolish thing perhaps, after all, it was compassion that had led him into this mess in the first place. Nevertheless, the youth shook out the twisted cloak and with a respectful nod, draped it over her shoulders. His coyote coat was no match for the winter wind, but he was still warm from the exertion, so managed to keep himself from shivering.

So the female had been brought here. Was she a prisoner? That couldn’t be right though, or else she would be being guarded. His new acquaintance hadn’t appeared to have been disjointed about being spoken to before he had been addressed.

”My name is Micheal, I’m a Mendicant of Salsola. I’m not a healer I’m afraid and your paw looks like it needs to be rested. May I offer you my shoulder as support? It’s probably best we get you somewhere warm as soon as possible. May I help you back to where you’re staying?”

Micheal knew he should be more wary of strangers, especially here, but it seemed horribly cruel to leave someone else to their misfortune. Getting the Luperci somewhere warm was very important. Micheal knew that even those who looked uninjured could quickly slump into unconsciousness or begin to shiver, not just from the cold, but from shock. His knowledge was rudimentary of course, but the youth had seen it happen. Micheal moved closer, not grasper her arm, but standing close enough that she could use him for support should she wish to.

”If you don’t mind, we should probably get you somewhere warmer than this.”

He gave a shy smile, that was unthreatening and genuine. Around his neck he wore a white cloth, like a scarf but peaking out from the top, mostly hidden by the material, was the top of a long scar.
Salsola
The Mendicant
Draiko
Luperci

POSTED: Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:32 pm

It was strange to think that wolves were born into this life. She was not sure what Michaels story was, or how he had ended up in a cruel Kingdom so far from his homeland – but he was young in a way that still made his face thin, his eyes too large to have seen so much. The shadow of a scar peeked over the collar around his neck, and she felt her brows raise quietly in question.

Odalis clicked her teeth, ”If you could help me back to Elphaba’s tower.”

She grimaced, ”It’s where she keeps me.” The woman took the boys offered shoulder and leaned toward him appreciatively, testing her ankle and wincing each time it carried her weight. ”My name is Odalis by the way. I’m still learning… about everything.” She wasn’t sure why she said it but it felt right. Salsola was a place of strange customs that were nothing like any of the places she had visited through out her travels – though there had been shadows of warning in the journals left to her by her mother.

How she longed for Akantha now!

”I’m sure that my ankle is fine, it just needs some rest.” She offered a soft crooked smile, ”Thank you for saving me. I don’t know what I would have done if you hadn’t wandered along.”

Her eyes trailed back to the scar, ”Did someone do that to you?”

Sorry for the wait Draiko!

Salsola
Indentured Servant
Amanda

Salsola