selfish

POSTED: Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:18 am

How strange it was that, now well into her first year, Farina knew so little of the outside world. Vinátta had raised and treated her well, but her exposure to neighboring packs and the people there was limited. At times Farina wanted nothing more than to escape, but family ties and a tight upbringing prevented her from venturing far.

On this day, however, she decided enough was enough. Not only had she left her home behind for a small trip, but she journeyed by given directions straight to New Dawn. Despite the freedom to walk her own path a smile did not grace her lips, not once. This mission had nothing to smile about; her mother did not know why or when she had left, and Farina had told not a soul she departed. Most likely her leave and consequent return would go completely without notice among the Virdings, but they were not her concern. It was the attention of Florina she would demand.

Florina. Damned Florina, that stupid sister of hers. Their mother had never stopped worrying in her absence, even after comfort from a New Dawn leader that Florina blended well with the runaway pack of her choice. Fiora kept quiet, but like Coli would make no demands or complaints. But Farina— Farina's temper had never quite settled in the wake of her sister's leave. There had been no farewells, no notice. Just a wounded mother and two insulted, hurt elder sisters.

Farina stopped at the feral pack's borders, took a good look and wrinkled her nose. New Dawn seemed pretty enough, she decided, though the drifting smells bodily and swinish in her nostrils. The pack was at no fault for harboring her selfish sister, however, and so Farina restrained judgment and sent a harsh, crude call through the air. A sound resonating anger and disapproval; a sound that requested Florina alone. Two-legged and unhappy, the wolfdog's fur bristled on her neck and shoulders, and with it she grew larger than her hulking frame already lumbered.

Lin
Luperci Falconer + Diplomat
OCTARINA OF TIME

POSTED: Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:33 am

:D Yay this thread! Words happened all over the place. [503] WOTD: ennoble

Four white-toed paws thudded heavily against the ground in a steady rhythm. The tireless sentry continued her circuit of the territory she had come to consider her own, after the countless times she had circumnavigated it. Border patrol was a mindless routine, a workout, and Florina coveted the chance to strengthen her body and shut down her mind. Her ecru nose tested the air as she loped along the well-worn trail, checking for fading scent markers and occasionally pausing to squat and add her own. Lately Keylo had taken to purposely marking over her, and she deliberately scratched and scraped her paws over his musk to occlude it with her own. She smirked to herself, and continued on with her tail flagged high and confident. Life was simple here, and she could let her instincts guide her without worries or guilt dragging her down.

The scent of Sangi'lak saturated the eastern border now that only a small sliver of no man's land separated the allied packs. Florina preferred the clear air that blew in from the unclaimed western wilderness. It was particularly aromatic with autumn in effect, as the fallen leaves and crisp edge stirred forgotten memories. A stronger gust of wind buffeted her tawny fur, and this time she detected the faintest whiff of Vinátta. Florina frowned, raising her muzzle high. She wasn't imagining that. Her suspicions were confirmed when the familiar howl broke out nearby, to summon her and ruin her patrol.

Unlike Fiora's beseeching tone or Sólieri's hopeful song, Farina's howl came across as jarring to her ears. Florina's hackles bristled at her sister's angry tone, and reflexively a defensive growl rumbled deep in the wolfdog's chest. New Dawn had done much to ennoble the runaway, bestowing upon her a warrior's rank and adult responsibility that she was proud to bear (and even flaunt). Her sister's voice tore it all down. Grudgingly she sounded a curt howl in response, sullenly alerting her littermate that she was nearby and had chosen not to ignore her.

She shifted before she closed the gap between them. It was partly vanity, and partly the hope of intimidation - Florina had grown sturdy and powerful here in the wilderness, corded with hard muscle from constant training, and surely Vinátta left both her littermates soft and weak by now. She hadn't seen Farina in so long, her memories were hazy and nondescript; had she forgotten her big sister's face? It was the rivalry she remembered most clearly, and those feelings were conflicting with her now.

Silver eyes caught sight of Farina's black and tan form. Florina strode purposely toward her, wind whipping long strands of her curly white mane. A spark of childish jealousy flared up as she gazed on her sister's Optime form for the first time and registered that she was still, as she had always been, just a little taller than Florina. "What," she demanded flatly, crossing her arms over her chest and refusing to crane her neck to glare.

Florina Soul
Template credit here, stock photo by Dezzan-stock.

Miyu
Luperci Pegasus Knight Radiant Dawn Nohrian Scum
ATONE THROUGH STRENGTH
WHEN DARKNESS FALLS
AND SURROUNDS YOU
YELLOW FLICKER BEAT

POSTED: Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:38 am

Farina might have wished the scowl away on her sister's face, had she not been so short of patience and quick of temper at the time; in those fleeting seconds before the Hollr spoke she glanced Florina up and down without realization, without intent. A protective reflex, perhaps. A motion of security to see that New Dawn had not mistreated her, even if the stubborn bitch might have deserved it. But Florina had grown strong, with obvious tone and no poking bones.

In a way, Farina was satisfied. And in a way, she envied the sight, for while Florina was an awkward middle-ground between the lithe, petite Fiora and the towering, masculine Farina, the youngest sister wore the cross well. Beautiful and strong. Farina wished she could say the same for herself—but hardly dawdled on the thought long enough to care.

At Florina's appearance the elder sister squared her shoulders and tipped her chin. The Dawn runaway refused to meet her eyes and showed no respect or regret for her actions. Rina would not fall for such masquerade: Farina could vaguely remember her sister's pigheadedness as a defense and little else. Their mother had taught them better than to feel nothing but anger as the runaway still liked to display.

Florina may have shaped fine muscles since their last meeting, but the elder sister towered over her with as muscular a build and a height that had only seemed to get taller. She knew her intimidation factor, but maintained some level of composure even when Florina greeted her flatly.

"I'm sorry, am I interrupting something?" she said, curt and bristling. It was not a question to answer. Then her nightsky eyes glanced between the face of Florina and the Frithr necklace still strung about her neck. A tinge of surprise lightened the aggravation in her features, just for a moment, and then Farina said with renewed patience, "Come home, Florina. This has gone on long enough."

Lin
OCTARINA OF TIME

POSTED: Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:23 am

[300+]

The yearlings were both curious in their own way, sizing each other up and casting silent judgment. Farina bristled unpleasantly at her greeting, snapping a sarcastic retort without a moment's hesitation. Florina's lips drew back taut, revealing the tips of fangs in warning. She did not appreciate the tone of superiority. Did her sister really think she could still claim dominance over her, just because she was a little bigger and a few minutes older? Because Rina was welcome to try and put her in her place, if she wanted to test her luck against an Epsilon. It would go down differently than it had when they were Aeska, guaranteed.

"Screw that, I live here now. Why would I ever go back?" she uttered bluntly, a stubborn challenge gleaming in her eyes. Was this an order, or a threat? Surely Farina was too tough to resort to guilt, the way their sniveling eldest sister had. There was nothing anyone could say to make Florina budge. She had gone a long time without her true rival to measure up against, and she was not about to back down. More than that, she needed to defend herself. The guilt would consume her if it was dragged to the surface.

Her tail lashed stiffly behind her tense form, and her gaze strayed to her sister's arm, lingering on a stupid frilly ribbon tied there. Farina had gone soft after all, she decided. "Why would you even want me back?" she added gruffly, tightening her crossed arms. That was the real question. It was in everyone's best interest that Florina stay outside of Vinátta. She knew perfectly well what she was: Florina was a blood traitor. Their mother was a frail, defenseless creature, and Flori crushed her. She couldn't be trusted around delicate things.

Florina Soul

Miyu
ATONE THROUGH STRENGTH
WHEN DARKNESS FALLS
AND SURROUNDS YOU
YELLOW FLICKER BEAT

POSTED: Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:27 pm

Had Florina not aged a day since their youth? She acted as huffing and puffing as an adolescent—a toddler, even. Farina had always judged it was her sister's own fear (of herself, perhaps) that had driven her so far from home, and her stubbornness that kept her there. Farina and her sisters may have been a pile of problems, but their mother taught them better. The hulking wolfdog had no doubt Florina possessed a level of guilt, a level of homesickness, and this was no more than a front to hide it.

Taking the time to silently consider it, she allowed Florina's first snapping query to hang emptily in the air—perhaps for her sister to hear exactly how stupid she sounded saying it. "What happened was an accident," she said calmly, trying to soothe the temper, to smooth the bristling fur at her spine. "You know it, Mom knows it, everybody knows it. Nobody's holding it against you but yourself. By staying here you're just running from the problem, Florina."

And then the thundercloud took a deep breath and exhaled with a tinge of hurt in her voice, "Why didn't you even come to say goodbye?"

But Florina wanted more—proof that she had been forgiven, maybe, that she would not have to worry of punishment or resentment if she did return. The elder sister could understand, could sympathize, but why couldn't Florina just admit she was afraid? "You're my sister," Farina replied, but knew it wouldn't be good enough. Something as sappy as I love you or I miss you wouldn't work, not with the runaway runt, so she added instead, "And it's, well... Look, it's boring without you around, okay?"

Lin
OCTARINA OF TIME

POSTED: Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:33 am

[417]

Farina waited before speaking, and her voice was calmer for it. Florina clenched her jaw tensely, then directed her gaze down. "You don't get it. There could be another accident. I didn't mean to do it then, and I still don't, so how can I control it from happening again? I was just angry at Fiora for shifting," she muttered. Her anger hadn't even been directed at their mother, not really; she was just venting frustration at being slow to develop and feeling inferior for it. Florina was special, strong, invincible - how could weakling Fiora shift so easily so soon? It was unacceptable. And then everything blew up in her face, and Flori was left standing over a pool of blood trying to guess if she had just murdered her mother. She couldn't go through that again. She had to keep reminding herself that she did not deserve to live in Vinátta. New Dawn was stronger. She could vent her temper on them and they were not so brittle to snap at her touch.

"I called. You didn't come." The statement lacked accusation; it was a simple truth. On that dark day Florina had howled for her sisters and cousins to see them one last time, and only Fiora and Sólieri bothered to show up. Farina was a notorious rebel, so her absence had not come as a surprise. It might have easily escalated into a fight if Farina had arrived to try and stop her, so she hadn't brooded long on that terse farewell. It had not occurred to Florina that her sister would take offense once she learned the reason she had been summoned that day. "I thought you didn't want to say goodbye," she added, silver eyes studying her sister's inscrutably dark gaze. "Figured you already saw what I did to Mom."

Florina swallowed. She disliked the vulnerability she felt around her family, which was obvious by her rigid and defensive posture. Farina had the potential to wound her with guilt, but instead reminded her that sisterhood wasn't only rivalry. It wasn't like they sat around braiding each others' hair and talking about feelings, but there was a bond between them, an easier one to handle than with complicated and sensitive Fiora or Colibri. The corners of her mouth twitched into a faint smirk, and she grunted, "Did you miss me? Wuss." Florina cautiously relaxed her crossed arms, balled one hand into a fist, and deliberately punched Farina on the shoulder.

Florina Soul

Miyu
ATONE THROUGH STRENGTH
WHEN DARKNESS FALLS
AND SURROUNDS YOU
YELLOW FLICKER BEAT

POSTED: Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:54 am

Forcing herself into breathing to quell her anger met some added success, for Florina similarly soothed in temper a level or two. Some of the truth came out and she expressed regret and shame in more obvious words than Farina expected of her. They shared a bond, she and her sister, unique from the rest of their small and complicated family. Until then, it had always been friendly rivalship. Farina had never realized there might have been actual trust involved, that there was a bond at all, and it was a pleasant dawning on her as she stood listening.

"Maybe if you can pinpoint what might set you off—like, what you're sensitive about, I guess—you could be better prepared." Farina shrugged. It sounded solid in her head, anyway. "Or you can try to break me instead and I'll just break you back. You could live with me outside Jordheim. It would be fun, right?" She tried to laugh, but it sounded weak. She had not come here to bargain or reason with Florina. She had come to provide the support she needed to make her own decision.

Her sister claimed to have called, and the look in her silver eyes prohibited Farina from doubting it. The Hollr's shoulders sunk and she glanced away, ears twirling back. "If that's true, then I didn't know," she said. "I didn't hear you—I would have come, you know I would have come to say goodbye." Even angrily, she would have come.

Her sister struck her before she realized and, startled out of her momentary disappointment in herself, Farina gaped before smiling and rubbing the bruise that wouldn't form. "Hey, you're the one that showed up when I called. I expected someone else to come." Well, not really.

Lin
OCTARINA OF TIME

POSTED: Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:43 am

[564] -flaunts shiny icon- also whut are these social skills you speak of

It was the first time Florina had spoken frankly about the incident with anyone. She had tried to explain herself to Auguste, but of course he was young at the time so he did not comprehend the gravity of what she'd done. Her new packmates were surprisingly accepting and had not pried much into her past, so she hadn't been forced to volunteer the information. Even when Niernan, first on the scene of the crime, showed up here looking for some guy named Brumaire, he had tactfully avoided the subject as though he didn't want to upset her with it. His behavior was the most baffling of all, but she didn't care what her mom's friend really thought. She did care about her sister, and she was tensed for a rebuff as she stared at the ground.

Instead, the pragmatic response caused her to blink. "Guess that makes sense. Is that what you do?" she replied, making eye contact again. Flori had expected more judgment toward her lack of control, but perhaps Farina understood that flaw better than most, given her comparable strength and temper. She was beginning to perceive her sibling in a strange new light, having fixated on their similarities only as reasons for rivalry in the past. It made her bark a laugh at the notion of them sharing a den and not immediately killing each other. She actually didn't hate the idea. Farina was her best opponent, she would freely admit that much.

"It does help having someone to pound on and let off steam," she explained, faint smirk stretching a little further. "There's this annoying guy here that I beat up all the time. You'd be more of a challenge." Her tail stirred behind her, then stilled. When Farina called her here, she had sounded so harsh and angry, and somehow things had cooled off without a showdown. "I thought you didn't want to say goodbye," she repeated, processing. "So you're really not mad at me? You actually want me back?" she asked bluntly, squinting at Farina's face. All this time she had assumed there was resentment between them, and Farina was happier with her gone, like Fiora and Colibri should be. She wasn't sure how to feel now.

She punched her sister on the arm without thinking it through, and there was a momentary pause where she wondered if it would be misinterpreted as aggression. Sometimes others didn't "get" her. Silver eyes watched unblinkingly, waiting for the delayed reaction. When Farina's expression broke into smile, Florina inwardly sighed in relief. "I'm an Epsilon here," she stated in response, puffing out her chest in arrogant pride. "Like Araedi. I patrol the borders. Anyone calls, they get me first. Don't flatter yourself." It was a slight overstatement, but more or less true. Anyone could patrol, and since the Alphas did so to keep up the scent markers, Florina was expected to contribute as a hunter more than a guard. But the routine of running the same circuit day and night to police it for anything out of the ordinary called to her baser instincts and fulfilled her need for action. It kept her strong and hardened, a difference she was hoping to make obvious to her littermate. Not that she could have ignored Farina's call anyway. She would just rather be good at her job than be seen as sentimental.

Florina Soul

Miyu
ATONE THROUGH STRENGTH
WHEN DARKNESS FALLS
AND SURROUNDS YOU
YELLOW FLICKER BEAT

POSTED: Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:45 pm

"radiant dawn" MIYU YOU'RE KILLING ME

"I live out there, yeah, by myself," she replied, frowning. "I don't fit very well in the old house anymore. Mom and Fiora are small enough, but Mom is hardly there anymore. I think she stays with Niernan."

With Florina she would not bother trying to hide the twisting scowl of distaste that crossed her features at the name. Farina wanted to like Niernan, and he had done nothing wrong to make her feel the opposite, and yet still she did. It was a jealousy issue, maybe. She had tried not to think about it.

Her sister responded oddly well to the idea, and Farina did not suppress the resulting smile or tail wavering behind her. "Well, even if you don't come back, you can still always visit to blow off steam. We'll spar. You can hit me as hard as you damn well please." And she meant it. It occurred to Farina—just as it had to her sister—that this was not how she predicted the conversation would go. Farina had arrived with temper flaring, agitated to have needed to take the first step out of four women of the family, agitated that Florina had responded so curtly, agitated with how stupid the whole situation was. And then without apologies needed the two women made up, almost as if they could not stand to remain angry with one another. Not after so long an absence.

She scoffed at the question. "Of course I'm mad at you, Florina. You overreacted like you always do. But right now I'm mad at you and Mom both for not doing anything about this sooner. You've both been avoiding the problem like a couple of cowards." Then, recognizing her temper returning, Farina took a breath and her tone eased into something resigned and sad. "I'm tired of being mad. I just want you to come home and make all of this be over, or at least... think about it."

And yet Florina seemed so proud of herself, her rank. She spoke favorably of her packmates, save the one apparently under fire in Farina's place. She was happy here. She made herself a life here and built herself a new reputation. It was a coward's work, running from home and starting anew, but still she was happy. Farina began to doubt what was the right thing for Florina to do, and she responded with a half-hearted smile. "Right, you're right. I should have known."

Lin
OCTARINA OF TIME

Dead Topics