I always see your face, I always hear your name

Backdated | Ascher's a-visitin'!

POSTED: Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:28 am

OOC: HI! Backdated to the start of April. Uncle Asch is here to visit along with his cNPC, Tarina Skadi!

IC:
Following Tarina’s announcement that she’d be accompanying Ascher on his visit to the South and the Court, the man had barely had time to feel any of his usual anxiety.

One thing Ascher could say for the sometimes pushy wolfdog was that Tarina helped to speed things along; she didn’t allow him to drag his feet over departing Krokar – and Ascher knew he would’ve done some foot-dragging if it had been permitted. Tarina wasn’t harsh in her vetoing of Ascher’s hesitation but she powered through with her bright temperament in a way which made the Stormbringer go along with her. It seemed pointless to resist and soon they were on horseback, loaded up with provisions and goods for trade, and heading South.

Ascher said nothing until Tarina wanted to talk; he was a man who could feel comfortable in his own head, taking in the surroundings and looking to their destination without feeling the need to fill the journey with words. Talk they did, though, when Tarina asked how Ascher was coping with the loss of his sister.

He fixed his gaze on Signe’s ebony mane and pressed his lips together before explaining that the siblings hadn’t seen each other in months prior to Shiloh’s demise. He didn’t say that he felt guilty for not visiting sooner, for not knowing his youngest nieces.

“Once upon a time there were four of us. Over the years my brothers left these lands and it was just me and Shiloh who remained. We had a bond that distance couldn’t break. I’d like to think death can’t break those ties either.”

His sigh was masked by Signe letting out a puff of air.

“Still, I never thought I’d outlast either Saul or Shiloh here.”

Tarina, riding alongside Ascher and Signe, turned her head towards him.

“How come?”

Though they had shared a pack – two, in fact – and Tarina seemed to have latched onto him in a way which was sometimes irritating, it was only now that Ascher decided to divulge some of his past to the Skadi woman. There were parts of Ascher’s life that were written on his skin in scarring – and there were parts he no longer acknowledged very often. Tarina was no fool so he didn’t have to impress upon her the meaning – the importance - of everything he shared. That in itself was a relief.

By the time Ascher had shared the trials and triumphs of his eight years with Tarina, the air around them seemed to have grown warm and damp. Trees thrust into the sky, loam under the horse’s hooves, and the sun was still high in the sky as they passed through the shade of the Dampwoods.

It was evening when they reached the borders of the Court. For a place whose troubles were still recent history, it was serene here – or perhaps that was just Ascher’s perception given the change of scenery from the North.

Tarina sat tall in the saddle while Ascher allowed his shoulders to drop, easing tense muscles.

“You should call,” Tarina suggested with a smile. “They know you.”

Ascher had his doubts – he had never met the new Queen of the Court, after all – but he tipped his head back and called out for family.

[500+]
AscherStormbringer

It's always darkest before the dawn
Cour des Miracles
Seigneur
Rat
Luperci
someone to fall back on

POSTED: Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:00 pm

Spring was still in its infancy. Though the snows had begun to melt and the ground was starting to thaw, the threat of winter weather and frigid temperatures was still present and, ever the pessimist, Thyri refused to take a warm spring day this early in the season for a sign that winter had fully relinquished its hold. There was still time yet for a late winter storm and frost would continue to coat the ground for probably another moon.

She cast pale jade eyes over the hills of what would become their new village. Since the announcement of where their new homes would be, Thyri had been working diligently to help clear the hills of shrubs and trees and stones. Anything that could be done this early in the season, before the ground fully thawed and the snows disappeared, she tried to do. Most of this, however, had been the tedious, back-breaking work of felling vegetation.

Sighing, Thyri turned her eyes away from the hills and rested them upon her loyal gelding. "We're a good team, aren't we, boy?" she said quietly to Baldr, rubbing the bridge of his nose lovingly. Without the help of her horse, who had been instrumental in helping pull out roots and boulders, Thyri would never have achieved as much as she had. Still, there was still a lot to clear. Despite their hard work, it felt as thought they had scarcely made a dent.

Moving away from her horse, Thyri started for another sapling when she heard the call at the borders. "Uncle Ascher?" she murmured. Stepping back toward Baldr, the Duchesse immediately began to unhook him from the wagon he was attached to and mounted him quickly, guiding him in the direction of Ascher's call.

"Uncle!" she called out as they neared, slowing the horse to a stop. "Is everything all right?" Thyri glanced from her uncle to the woman at his side, then back at Ascher again curiously.

OOC: Hi have a niece! c:

[WC —331]

don't leave this world to me
Cour des Miracles
Chambellan
Mandi
Ægishjálmr: Helm of Awe
S K J A L D M Æ R
trouble is a friend

POSTED: Sun May 13, 2018 11:17 am

OOC: Thanks for joining <3 feel free to assume that Abi heard the call and has sent one back to say they can stay for a bit.

IC:
After a few moments the horses dropped their heads to lip at tender shoots of Spring grass. Signe occasionally shifted her weight, lifting a foreleg to bring her a pace forward or backward. Ascher was as patient and in tune a rider as he had been a trainer with his fisher cat all those years before; he allowed these movements so long as the bay mare wasn’t about to fly over the borders and get the pair of Krokarans into hot water.

The dull sound of hooves thumping against the earth made both Ascher and his mount raise their heads. Tarina leaned back slightly in the saddle and shot the Stormbringer a look of excitement mingled with a touch of – were those nerves in her bright features? Ascher offered her a smile as he observed the scent of the approaching rider, easing Signe forward another length. The scholar had long ago learned that there was not as much to fear in the unknown as there was in the known and the remembered.

But this face that emerged from the trees was remembered and loved.

“Thyri!”

He lifted a weather-beaten hand in greeting.

“Everything is fine – I just wanted to see how my family were getting on down here.”

This was mostly true. What Ascher didn’t express was his desire to see the place where Shiloh had lived out her last months.

“This is Tarina. She’s a friend from Vinátta – and now Krokar,” the man went on, a smile creeping onto his muzzle.

“It’s a pleasure to meet you,” Tarina offered with a smile of her own which didn’t quite match Ascher’s. Perhaps there was more to that flash of nerves than Ascher had thought. He wondered briefly if he ought to be more nervous, too.

“I thought we might stay a few days and catch up properly – if having your stuffy old Uncle here won’t cramp your style?”

[300+]
AscherStormbringer

Cour des Miracles
Seigneur
Rat
Luperci
someone to fall back on

POSTED: Sat May 26, 2018 9:04 am

Her eyes danced between her uncle and the woman, searching for any evidence that something was wrong. She saw nothing but nerves in the woman's eyes and her uncle seemed calm to her. Thyri allowed herself to relax, easing Baldr to stop in front of the Krokarans.

Whether due to her initial surprise, and subsequent concern, Thyri had failed to recognize Tarina. It wasn't until her uncle introduced her that the name tripped memories of long past, in a home that they had once both shared and during an explosive trauma they both survived. "Tarina!" she barked, snapping her head to the woman again. The smile that snaked across her mouth was amused and apologetic. "We were in the Sacred Grove together during the fall of the Red Star! She laughed. How strange, the way the gods orchestrated their fates. "I'm glad to see that you're well."

Turning to her uncle again, Thyri shook her head lightly, that little smile still on her lips. "Vináttans seem to have a way of sticking together, don't they? Even without the pack," she mused somberly, then brightened again. "Of course you're welcome to stay! Abi sent a call back while I was on my way to greet you," she explained, encouraging Baldr forward then guiding him around so that they were facing toward the Court. Looking back at her uncle and his companion, she gestured for them to follow her then started forward.

"Actually," Thyri began, looking at Ascher. "I wanted to pick your brain a little." Stuffy, old uncles were good for that, she thought. "About healing and herbalism. But we can talk more about that later. Tell me about your trip down here." She looked briefly at Tarina again then turned her eyes on the forest ahead.

OOC: Sounds good! LOL I almost forgot that Thyri and Tarina have a history. xD Ohboy.

[WC — 303]

Cour des Miracles
Chambellan
Mandi
S K J A L D M Æ R
trouble is a friend

POSTED: Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:20 pm

OOC: Lol oops.. I just had to go look up what Asch was doing during the Red Star. And he was busy being in a fugue state. Also lol Tarinasch so awks.

IC:
“That’s right!” said Tarina, her smile growing in breadth and brightness as the golden-blonde Courtier remembered their past connection.

Ascher held his smile but said nothing of the night the Red Star had fallen. He now knew it had been a couple of weeks before Sylven had found him in the Miramichi Watershed – a couple of weeks before his first introduction to Krokar, then. But the memories retained from that period of time were foggy at best. For Ascher there was a before and an after, either of which he could address but the stretch between was barely accessible – and he didn’t know if he’d change that.

“Some of us do,” the man murmured gently, contemplative. Saul hadn’t; Aspen and his children hadn’t.

Before Ascher could sink into reflecting on the way people had come and gone from his life, though, Tarina’s laugh rang out. The embarrassment of having almost succumbed to his melancholy nostalgia made the Stormbringer’s ears slick back against his long mane but his face brightened. Being here at the borders of Cour des Miracles, looking at a grown niece and a good – if annoyingly persistent – friend reminded Ascher that he still had everything to be grateful for.

He nudged Signe into a smooth walk. The enthusiastic mare needed little guidance from her rider; the excitement of new faces, equine and canine, were enough for her to want to follow Thyri and Baldr.

Ascher’s ears pricked back up even as his heartbeat quickened slightly.

“I’m rusty,” he blurted, barely leaving room for breath. It had been an age since Ascher had actually practised any of the healing arts he had once loved so much. Bel’s death had shaken his confidence in his abilities enough to make him reluctant to even open a book about healing.

But perhaps his knowledge should be passed on to the younger generation.

“But - but I’ll do my best to help.” He cleared his throat. “It was longer than I remember the trip South being,” he shared with a chuckle. Glancing at Tarina he saw a flash of something - was that hurt? - in her eyes.

“The company was good, though.”

[355]
AscherStormbringer

Cour des Miracles
Seigneur
Rat
Luperci
someone to fall back on

POSTED: Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:57 pm

Indeed, Thyri had not thought about those Vináttans who had failed to stick together. She had never met her other uncles, she had never learned of all the cousins she undoubtedly had. But she had learned that Palaydrian and Bran had relocated to Krokar, along with their children – her cousins. Or... what remained of them.

With a twinge of something – guilt or concern or wonder – that she hadn't felt in quite some time, Thyri thought of Izrian. Wherever she was, the Dawnbringer hoped that she was okay.

Though she had no way of knowing that her uncle's thoughts, too, had begun to sink into melancholy, Tarina's laughter had the same affect on her. Like uncle, like niece, Thyri's face, too, brightened. She craned her head back, glancing gratefully back at the bubbly woman. She had annoyed her, once, she remembered. But today, right now, she was glad for her presence.

She lead them at an easy pace, one blunt ear swiveled to listen as her uncle spoke. "I would appreciate anything, Uncle," she said mildly, looking behind her again. "Oh?" she uttered, looking from Ascher to Tarina, then returning her gaze ahead of her once more. "I'm glad you had the company." She could not decipher whatever individual expressions were in the faces of her companions but Thyri felt oddly curious.

"But Tarina," she began brightly. "Why did you decide to follow my stuffy, old uncle down to the Court, anyway?" It was a long journey from the Krokar down to Cour des Miracles, and not without its dangers. Perhaps it was nothing more than pack camaraderie, but someone would have to meant quite a lot to her to follow them to the other side of the territories without much purpose other than to see family.

OOC: Looooool i want to make it more awks. >:D

[WC — 302]

Cour des Miracles
Chambellan
Mandi
S K J A L D M Æ R
trouble is a friend

POSTED: Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:15 am

OOC: Hahahaaaaa

IC:
Tarina seemed to have become a fixture in Ascher’s life. She had wormed her way in and persevered with his bouts of melancholy and distantness where others might not have had the will to push. Not since Sylven had rescued him from his fugue state had anyone been so consistent in weeding out Ascher’s blues. But still Ascher didn’t really know why she insisted on being around him so much.

When Thyri probed the Skadi woman, seeking an explanation for her accompaniment of the Stormbringer man, Ascher felt embarrassment crawl up his throat, making him swallow hard before spreading through his thick-furred cheeks. His smile was fixed but his gaze flitted to Tarina like a nervous insect.

He realised he was curious, too – and a little afraid of what the bubbly ocarina player might say next.

“I like seeing new places,” Tarina breezed without missing a beat. Ascher let out a chuckle as the pressure in his throat suddenly lifted. He wondered if he sounded a little too relieved – but Tarina didn’t seem to have noticed this time.

“And someone has to keep him out of trouble,” the woman went on blithely.

Ascher tried to hold back a snort and only mostly succeeded; a louder than average breath still ended up working its way from his nostrils. He shot Thyri a look of apology.

“Well, Thyri, you heard it here first: your Uncle Ascher is a rogue.”

[235]
AscherStormbringer

Cour des Miracles
Seigneur
Rat
Luperci
someone to fall back on

POSTED: Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:50 am

As though it was the most obvious answer in the world, the Norsewoman replied without hesitation. And Thyri accepted the answer just as easily. She remembered how, when she was younger, she had been enthralled with the idea of travel and exploration and seeing new places. In fact, it had commanded her imagination and she had spent many long hours of sunlight pretending she was going on exciting adventures, often accompanied by her father, to distant, exotic places. But she had sated that wanderlust when she had left the territories to search for her missing friend and Thyri was happy now to remain situated permanently in the Court.

"It can be exciting, can't it?" she said conversationally, glancing at the woman with a smile in her eyes. From what she remembered of the Skadi, she had come from a place far from Nova Scotia and even did some traveling with a group of other people before finding her way to Vinátta. She laughed when the woman continued, looking at her uncle.

Of course she had never considered that her uncle could be a rogue, though she supposed it wasn't out of the realm of possibility. There was a great lot of knowledge that Thyri had never learned about her uncle, a realization that hit the Dawnbringer smack in the face as their conversation flitted along. And, if Sága's revelation as any indication, there were things, even, that she had never learned about her mother, too. "I'd like to know about this side of you, Uncle," she replied, though the humor had faded from her tone. "Without Mother... Well, there's nobody else to ask, about you or her or the Stormbringers."

Whether it was true to not, Thyri had the sense that Abigail was more closely attuned to their Sadira side. She felt that there was a chance that Alessan knew more about the Stormbringers, but with Ascher here, Thyri thought that this was her best source of information on them. "I'd love to hear stories about you and Mother when you were all young." She glanced at Tarina, wondering if she felt the same. Was their friendship that close?

[WC — 367]

Cour des Miracles
Chambellan
Mandi
S K J A L D M Æ R
trouble is a friend

Dead Topics