Practice Makes Perfect

For Hibiki

POSTED: Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:13 pm

Even though he wasn't getting any younger, it had been getting easier and easier for Tora to practice his swordsmanship recently. Fighting was an art his life had been dedicated to by his parents and the culture he grew up in. He kept up his practice, swinging his swords at invisible attackers and allowing himself to slip into a mindset of pure hatred and anger. The Viscomte used the years of pent up guilt and rage over the fate of his old clan to power himself in combat, snarling and snapping as he spun in blurs of lethal motion. It wasn't exactly healthy to carry such a load around, but it had ended up saving his life multiple times.

Tora was about to start his daily routine, having taken up position in front of the rough wooden pole at the side of his house and drawn his katana. The naked blade was held defensively in front of the man's body, Tora taking a few deep breaths as he dug up painful memories. It didn't take very long. His father had been hanging around more and more often, and the elder Tanaka rarely had anything pleasant to say. Tora had spent the last few days being berated and shoved around, taking the abuse silently just like he had as a child. He had wanted to scream back, to throw something at his father, but it wouldn't have done any good. Akio was already dead, a spirit returned to harangue and harass his son. If Tora had shown any resistance he likely would have been thrown into a wall.

It had happened a couple of times before.

At least he had more fuel for the fire that propelled his blades.

Wordcount:293
Petite Cour
Épéiste
Smike
Luperci What the spud!?
Dishonor is removed through death

POSTED: Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:45 pm

The mountain of things that I still regret
Is a vile reminder that I would rather just forget

OOC: +300 words.

Hibiki sat outside of his home, knife resting gently in his hand. He had chosen his home for a specific reason when the mounds were still being formed to make the living spaces that would replace those within the decaying hotel. His spot was close to the workshops, being close to the one he had set up for his own craft. In recent days, he had been blessed with the opportunity to work on a variety of projects.. though he was sure Kadir was not too fond of the idea of him keeping his raw materials at the home.

He really would have to find a better place for those things. He didn't want to leave them sitting in the open just on the off chance the weather would have some kind off effect on them. The last thing he wanted was for them to be even most rusted than some pieces already were.

But the one downside to where he had set up his home was being on the outskirts of the little "village". It meant that he didn't have many connections on the inside.

While he was able to meet with other members of the Court on some of his normal routes, it would be nice to get to know his neighbors. The dark male pulled his kimono over his shorts, rather fond of this look of his'. He decided not to wear his shoulder piece today, just on the off chance that he decided to get some work done. Waving a greeting to his friend from the window, he was on his way.

Light blue gaze moved about the area. It didn't seem like there were many at home. That was to be expected, but the sound of someone moving about in the snow caught his attention. Padding to the sound, he spotted the male with his blades, doing some practice along the side of his home. Gaze seemed to fix on the weapons he held, something he had seen once before in Sapient. Ears pulled forward as he came closer, making sure to keep his distance just in case. Taking a deep breath, a smile came to his voice as he offered a wave, "Good afternoon sir."

Hibiki

Petite Cour
Armurier
Salena
Luperci
復讐 生まれ変わる
Raggedy Man

POSTED: Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:04 pm

The muscles of Tora's arms tensed as he raised his sword and dropped into a fighting stance, lips curling up in a silent snarl as he prepared to chop away madly at the pole. It had began to change shape in front of him, the wooden post morphing and shifting into a faceless opponent wielding an axe. If he concentrated a little more he could make out the nonexistent man's bloodied fangs and the ugly scars crisscrossing his arms. They were long and grotesquely jagged, not like the hundred neat lines hidden under Tora's sleeve. The warrior wolf took a step forward, blade raised and-

Immediately lowered it, turning his head to seek out the source of the voice that had called out to him. Periwinkle blue eyes fell on a taller, black furred male offering a friendly wave. Tora didn't recognize him, but it was safe to assume he was a member of the Court. The katana was sheathed and placed next to it's shorter brother, the smaller gray wolf offering a wave of his own. "Good afternoon." he said politely, his words thick with his accent. "I don't believe we've met before. My name is Toraberā Tanaka, but most people just call me Tora. Use whichever you prefer."

He stepped closer to the taller man, hand extended for him to shake if he wished. Tora had been part of the Court for a while now, but he still didn't know everyone. He had no way of knowing the other male's rank but he hoped that he was the same as Tora or lower, or if he wasn't that he wouldn't take offense to his casual language.

Wordcount:289
Petite Cour
Épéiste
Smike
Luperci What the spud!?

POSTED: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:26 pm

Hibiki had felt a little bad interrupting the man while he was just getting ready to spar... well maybe not so much spar as it seemed like he was just practicing against a wooden pole. It was honestly something that he should be doing on some of his down time. Sure he had climbed the ranks and was doing well with the experimentation that came from his blacksmithing craft... but he still had to keep his own skills sharp.

After all... he wouldn't be much use to himself, Kadir, or even the Court as a whole if he couldn't keep up in combat.

The other man's head soon turned in the dark one's direction, his swords returning to their place at his sides. He could tell that one of them was shorter than the other, but not by much. He tried thinking back to the one that his mother had. Since her death, he had wanted nothing to do with her belongings nor the animals she kept in her company. The sword she had seemed much like his shorter one... probably to better fit her body.

The other came closer, and Hibiki couldn't help but tilt his head a bit to the side at the thick accent the man carried. It certainly wasn't one that he was expecting. His hand was extended out for a handshake, to which he accepted. Hibiki's hand met with Tora's as he offered a smile, "It's a pleasure to meet you. My name is Hibiki."

He gave a small pause before point down to the man's weapons, "I couldn't help but notice those you have there. My..." The dark male paused. He hated even giving Miwa the titled of his mother for everything she had done to him. It was the reason he barely refered to Shaamah as his father. He shook his head slightly before correcting himself, "I knew someone who used a weapon like that."

Hibiki

Petite Cour
Armurier
Salena
Luperci
復讐 生まれ変わる
Raggedy Man

POSTED: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:35 pm

When the taller man grasped his hand Tora answered with a friendly grin, giving him a firm handshake as he took in his name. Hibiki. It was a word he had not heard in a long time, a piece of his native tongue that he had gone without hearing ever since the destruction of Clan Tanaka had left him drifting halfway across the world by himself. It was strange to hear it again. Sure, now that his father had returned he was having almost daily conversations in Japanese but it was still strange to hear it from an outsider. Or at least someone he assumed was an outsider.

"Hibiki. It means echo or sound in my mother tongue." The gray wolf noted. "My clan always believed that one's name would predict how they turned out." They had turned out to be right, in a twisted way. His own name meant Traveler and he had ended up as one, albeit for a very sad reason. "Do you think your name properly reflects who you are?"

Tora followed Hibiki's pointing finger to the weapons hanging from the waist of his kimono, the simple black garment a contrast to the other Courtier's purple garment. "My weapons? They were given to me back in Japan, a gift for reaching adulthood. They've served their purpose for me more than once now." His head cocked at the mention of someone else having a similar tool. That was two people that he knew of. The first had stolen it, had this new person he was hearing about done the same thing? He hoped not . He hoped that there were more people from his homeland living near him.

He removed the wakizashi from its place at his hip, holding it out in its black lacquered scabbard for Hibiki to take. "Look and compare for yourself. Where did this 'someone' get theirs?"

Wordcount:317
Petite Cour
Épéiste
Smike
Luperci What the spud!?

POSTED: Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:22 am

Hibiki was aware of his mother's native language, but had never really gotten the chance to learn how to speak it well enough. Such lessons were reserved for his better brothers, the ones that didn't look like someone he wasn't. He was fine with it being this way though. He knew enough, and with him wanting to cut ties with his mother all together, there was no real desire to pursue anything having to do with it.

The dark male couldn't help but seemingly stop when Tora mentioned that names were meant to predict how one would be in life. As their hands were still together, there was a noticeable pressure being put on his grip. It hated him to be reminded of the name that had been given to him by his mother, the name he had scorn never to use again. It was the reason he had changed his own name in the first place.

Eyes narrowed as his hand was pulled away, arms crossing, "I'd say it certainly fits me better now than my birth name did."

Wanting to turn away from the subject of his own name, he was much more interested in the man's weapons. He said they were gifts before offering one out to him. Hibiki took it into his hand, removing the blade as he felt the weight of it in his hand, "She had it made by the blacksmith of our old pack. Haven't seen it since she died. It definitly looked to be in this same type of style though. What are these weapons called?"

As he waited for the answer, he took a step back, giving the blade a test swing. It felt really nice in the movement. Guess he could see what his mother saw in something like this.

Hibiki

Petite Cour
Armurier
Salena
Luperci
復讐 生まれ変わる
Raggedy Man

POSTED: Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:50 am

Tora noticed the increase in pressure on his hand, not nearly enough to hurt but enough to make it clear that the black furred male was uncomfortable. Had he offended him in some way? That hadn't been his intention, he was only making small talk. Concern filled Tora's eyes as he caught Hibiki's narrowed gaze, noting the crossed arms and generally more hostile demeanor. "I'd say it certainly fits me better now than my birth name did." What did he even mean by that? this was not how Tora had wanted this conversation to go. "I didn't mean to cause any offense." the Viscomte said diplomatically. "I was just making a note of it. Please, forgive me.

He nodded when Hibiki explained that the one he had seen before had been made by a blacksmith in his old pack, Tora assumed one of the ones from the local area. "The one you're holding is called a Wakizashi, the longer one is a Katana. Together they're called Daishō which literally means "big-little." His spiel over, he watched Hibiki give it a swing, the sharp blade easily cutting through the air. "As a soldier, I'm never without them. Tell me, do you consider yourself a warrior?"

Wordcount:213
Petite Cour
Épéiste
Smike
Luperci What the spud!?

Dead Topics