Decoding the Enigma Machine

[p. Thyri]

POSTED: Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:19 pm

Scout out potential locations for the new housing location. Maybe there is trouble with the most idyllic place? Sometimes firm ground is not so solid, and other times the trees are perhaps dangerously leaning..

Willow understood few things about his emotions. What he did understand, was that he wanted to keep them quiet, keep them private. It meant less pain on the end of his siblings, and less worrying about what people thought on the other. He had first tried to blank his face, keep himself monotone, but it proved boring and incredibly odd. It was like drawing attention to oneself when one did not want that attention drawn. Willow had to drop it; it was more effort than it was worth. His face was so thrilled when he gave it up.

He passed it off as a trivial fancy of a young person growing. Not that he was hardly anything more than a young person still. Older than he was, at least. Which was only logical, considering time was forward moving and not back.

He furrowed his brows, feeling the confusion of a mind that rambled for no reason, and sighed it off as nerves again. It was a thing that plagued him, surely. It was nothing more than a dull reminder at the back of his head at that moment, but it could easily flare into something decidedly more unnerving and upsetting. He kept his lips tight as he walked faster, hands jammed into the vest's deep pockets.

And now they were all planning to move the residences? Willow did not know what to think. He had not been eager to move into his own place, but building his own from scratch? Well, the idea had merit. But they had to pick a location first, the woman had said, and so he walked, aimlessly, nearly carelessly, as he looked for such a location.

Willow
Vows are spoken to be broken. Feelings are intense, words are trivial

Player WikiCommissionsCharacter Wiki
Mistfell Vale
Elkenfrey (NPC)
Gen
Luperci

POSTED: Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:44 pm

She passed across fallen leaves on two legs, the sound of crunching following every footfall. The idea of moving their residences out of Chien Hotel sounded like a good one. Thyri was not attached to the slowly decaying building, just as she had not been particularly attached to her room in the court of Casa, either. As far as the Dawnbringer was concerned, nothing would ever beat or replace the cozy comfort of the little earthen homes that Vinátta had been best known for.

A hooting howl caused the woman to splay her stunted ears and furrow her brows. It was distant enough that she didn't have to respond to it. After all, responding would give her own location away and Thyri was enjoying this peace and quiet away from her lively friend. Reblin, cheerful and friendly as he was, had a talent for getting under her skin. She sighed. But that wasn't to say she disliked him. How could she? The boy could make her laugh like few others and he had a good, decent heart. He had become like a younger brother to her.

"Willow?" she asked when she swiveled her head away from the direction of Reblin's victorious call and caught sight of the boy with dour expression. The colors of autumn appeared more vibrantly against his monotone pelt. She offered him a friendly smile and started toward him with purpose. "Are you looking for suitable housing as well?" she asked, unsure what else the young man would be doing out in the middle of nowhere. It didn't appear to her as though he was hunting.

[WC — 274]

don't leave this world to me
Cour des Miracles
Chambellan
Mandi
Ægishjálmr: Helm of Awe
S K J A L D M Æ R
trouble is a friend

POSTED: Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:18 pm

Willow swiveled when he heart his name called, feeling warmth flood into his ears as he saw who it was approaching. The sensation was definitely not a welcome one, he realized, frustratingly enough. He almost reached up to grab at the betraying appendages, remembering mercifully that he would not show any signs of his sudden flustered self.

"Hello, Thyri," he greeted in return, simply, feeling that bloody warmness spreading into his face, leaving cheeks warm and his nose suddenly exceptionally cold. Willow was so glad that he had all that fur on his flesh to hide what he imagined would be an incredibly vivid coloration.

He had not expected to see the woman walking around, but he realized that was somewhat of a silly thought. They lived in the same place, and he had on occasion taken lessons from her. This reaction was slightly new to him, though relatively not unsurprising the way his recent thoughts had been turning. He was sure that with the help of his siblings, he could have figured it out better, but he refused to let them know anything that could leave him open to teasing for weeks on end.

"Uh, I guess I am. I mean, no other reason to be walking around right?" Willow gave what seemed to be a slightly nervous laugh, rubbing the back of his neck as he did so. "Why are you out and about?" he countered without a hint of his usually sense of sass and sarcasm.

Last edited by Willow on Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Willow

Mistfell Vale
Elkenfrey (NPC)
Gen
Luperci

POSTED: Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:34 pm

The crispy sounds of crunching leaves softened as she neared the young man and her footfalls slowed. Her tail swept pleasantly behind her and, in the silence left behind by the quieted rustling underfoot, half-hearted birdsong surrounded them. Thyri looked at Willow, her head tilted downwards slightly. Of the wolfdog's sudden flush, the Dawnbringer was completely unaware.

She had her mane in its usual braid, its wheaten weave draped unceremoniously over her left shoulder. A small, crimson leaf poked out from its base — an unnoticed, unintended hitchhiker. Thyri had taken no weapons with her today, nor did she adorn her naked body with the poorly-made satchel she usually carried with her when foraging.

Her goal today had been set with only one thing in mind: ambition.

"There are plenty of reasons to be walking around," she challenged boldly, though the smile on her face suggested there was nothing malicious to it. Thyri watched him a moment, gentle amusement on her face, taking note of how he rubbed at the back of his neck while his nervous laughter bubbled in the open air. After a time, she shifted her eyes from Willow's face and looked around her. "Well, I thought this might be a good place to start looking for a new location to move our residences." She faced him again and shrugged. "But I don't know. Sometimes I wonder if it wouldn't just be easier to dig a den and call it good."

For Thyri, that wouldn't be all bad but she doubted the rest of the Court would be so agreeable.

[WC — 269]

Cour des Miracles
Chambellan
Mandi
S K J A L D M Æ R
trouble is a friend

POSTED: Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:41 pm

Willow furrowed his brows at the idea of digging a whole and just living in it. On the one hand it would be cozy, compact, and easily hidden. But it was not sensible, to him, that it would suite the lifestyle of a bipedal animal. He needed his hands, he needed space for his things, and a den would simply not accommodate that way of life. He needed shelves, table, books, cases, something to store all of his precious things, few as they were.

"Simple, maybe, but I'd need more room than that." Flooding in a den also sounded horrifying to him, who dreaded the wet of fall and spring, happy enough with the snow that his pelt kept him warm from in the winter. It was the chill, the damp, and all that, which bothered him the most. A damp den seemed equally unappetizing as a summer cold.

"Where would you put all your plants and books and things?" he countered, gesturing with his hands cupping over an imaginary ball. "Are you going to sleep curled around a bag of things?" he asked, feeling the response sting at his tongue as he realized it was sharper than he wanted it to be. Heat flooded his ears again and he scoffed, almost as though he were annoyed at Thyri, but truly at himself.

"Sorry," mumbled the wolfdog youth, looking away from the woman as he jammed his hands back into his pockets. "I'll help you look." It was a sort of declaration, rather than an offer. More like a sullen suggestion made by a broody, inconsistent, incredibly anxious young man with no sense of himself. "Just, not the beach. Serena wanted the beach and that's a stupid idea," he huffed, beginning to walk in no particular direction.

Willow

Mistfell Vale
Elkenfrey (NPC)
Gen
Luperci

POSTED: Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:56 pm

She considered his response thoughtfully, finally nodding after a time. Thyri shifted her eyes from his face to open air to the right of his shoulder, looking at nothing in particular behind him as she mused. Space was terribly limited in a den. After all, the smaller the den, the warmer and safer it was. She supposed that it could be possible to dig a den large enough to keep personal items, but then there would be the risk of cave-ins. And, if it rained enough, a soggy den would no doubt prove to be a miserable place to try and sleep.

Thyri sighed, flashing him with a look of resigned annoyance. "Okay, okay," she said, shrugging. "Maybe digging dens wouldn't be the best idea." After all, where would she put all of her belongings? She supposed that there could be a communal storage area, but she didn't like the idea of her own personal items being out of sight and stored in a place where everyone would have access to. It wasn't so much that she mistrusted the Courtiers, but some people seemed eager to share other people's belongings without permission.

"It's fine, she said to his murmured apology. "Besides, my mother would never stand for it anyway," she added with a light laugh. The idea of Shiloh, pristine with her ivory pelt and spotless gowns, curled up in a dirty den was perfectly improbable. "The beach?" she asked, pulling a face that suggested she agreed with Willow's opinion. "No, I think it should be somewhere near the middle of the territory. Why not Calico Grove? Do you think there's enough space in the center for a bunch of homes?" she asked, starting in the direction of the Grove before waiting for Willow's approval.

OOC: *cracks knuckles* OKAY HERE WE GO

[WC — 304]

Cour des Miracles
Chambellan
Mandi
S K J A L D M Æ R
trouble is a friend

POSTED: Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:37 pm

She agreed with him, and he could tell that his decidedly negative statement irritated him. He was the bearer of bad news, the giver of ill-tidings, for he was slave to the logical side that people seemed so keen to ignore. Everyone was such a hopeful optimist sometimes that he marveled how they all didn’t die of it. Thyri was like Serena, or was it the other way around?

He did look mighty proud of himself, though, when she admitted it was not a good idea. It seemed to be his lot in life to disagree with the daughters of this particular family.

Willow snorted. Shiloh was not someone he was too close with, but she had helped in raising him and his four siblings, so he regarded her warmly, at least. ”No, she probably would put her foot down.” The Chevalier kind of doubted that she would not get her way in that sort of a situation.

Brows furrowing, the young man thought about the Grove. ”That.. that could be nice?” he said hesitantly, realizing that Thyri was already heading that way before he could even ask if she wanted to go. He felt his ears flush red as he took a few longer ambling steps to keep pace with her head start.

Clearing his threat, the young male adjusted what seemed like a very tight collar, only he wasn’t wearing any sort of thing like that. ”I, uh, wanted to thank you for all the teaching you’ve been doing for me,” he began awkwardly, rubbing at the fur at his neck, feeling his eyes lock forward so he didn’t have to look at her. ”I don’t know if you’d.. you’d like to spend more time, maybe?” he said in a soft mutter full of nerves. He swallowed nervously.

Awkward duck.

Willow

Mistfell Vale
Elkenfrey (NPC)
Gen
Luperci

POSTED: Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:42 pm

She walked with purpose, but not with haste. Still, it seemed she had managed several paces before Willow grasped what was happening. Thyri heard his ambling footsteps quicken behind her and twisted her head around to glance at him quizzically. Her mouth contorted into a wry smile. "Am I too fast for you?" she teased, wrinkling the bridge of her nose.

The color in the trees — all orange and red and amber and gold — melted together in her periphery and became a wash of autumn. Her toes crunched dead leaves, casualties of summer's end. She glanced at the young man again when he cleared his throat and furrowed her brows curiously when he made the motion of loosening a tight-fitting collar, one corner of her lips gently upturned.

He was weird, Thyri decided with some fondness. She looked away from him again to peer ahead, Calico Grove growing nearer with every step. When he spoke, she shrugged. "It's nothing big," she said, turning to smile at him. "It helps that you're so interested in herbs and stuff." Not like sparring, she added to herself. His eyes were locked forward and she wondered if he was really seeing anything that was ahead of him. Was he ill, she wondered? It almost appeared to her as though Willow was keeping from losing his breakfast.

When he continued, she had to concentrate on the words that fell, muttered, from his mouth. She slowed her pace, leaning toward him, and frowned. Slowly, carefully, she deciphered his words and looked at him curiously, not catching meaning behind them. "Sure, I could spend more time teaching you," she replied, shrugging. "Are you still struggling with some things?"

OOC: omg i love him x3 annnnnnnnd oblivious Thyri is oblivious

[WC — 285]

Cour des Miracles
Chambellan
Mandi
S K J A L D M Æ R
trouble is a friend

POSTED: Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:23 am

Of course, this was how his attempts at flirting would go. Well, it was not flirting but more so a reckless attempt to ask someone out on a date and it had turned into entirely the wrong thing. He could feel his mortification growing as she slowed and looked at him without any understanding of what he had said. Of course, this would happen to him. Of course.

He felt cold and hot at the same time, not unlike a fever, but Willow knew that he was not sick. He might BE sick, though, if that gaseous feeling in his stomach was any indication of imminent illness. Willow had never liked anyone before and wondered if this was something he was going to have to expect every single damn time someone nice crossed his radar.

Willow just stared back at Thyri because he had no idea what on earth to say to react to that oblivious tossing away of his request. He blinked awkwardly at her.

“That would be nice,” his mouth answered automatically. He wished he could smack himself in the mouth without breaking any teeth, but his response would have been enough to shatter his own nose.

“I’m not struggling with plants. I’m struggling with other things, apparently,” he said finally, grumbling, as he brushed past her and headed toward the Grove, feeling beyond mortified and more than a little ready to crawl into a small hole and die for the rest of his life. “Let’s just go to the stupid Grove.” His eyes shut a moment and he very nearly walked into a tree before he managed to shamble around it like the walking corpse he was.

Willow

Mistfell Vale
Elkenfrey (NPC)
Gen
Luperci

POSTED: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:48 am

Pale jade eyes studied him, shifting and flicking subtly as she peered into his own. When he did not immediately respond, Thyri quickly realized that her response was definitely not the one that Willow had been expecting. Swiftly, the wheaten woman backpedaled in her mind his words and her response and, with a growing sense of embarrassment and dread, it hit Thyri like a rock to the face why it was the boy had asked about spending more time with her.

And it had nothing to do plants.

Mortified, heat rose to Thyri's ears and made the sensitive skin within blush a brilliant shade of pink. "Oh, wait," she responded too late. Inwardly, she groaned as his mechanical-sounded response slithered into her red-hot ears and, as he brushed past her, muttering about having trouble with things other than plants, Thyri remained where she was for several heartbeats that were much too fast.

Centering herself, Thyri breathed in and chased after him. He reached out and wound her fingers around Willow's elbow, intending to slow him. "Wait," she said gently. "Willow, I'm sorry. I didn't know what you meant." But now that she did, Thyri wasn't sure that made it any better. While it was true that she had grown to like Willow, her feelings for him went no further than those she felt for her friends. When she thought of the young man, it was with fondness but not with romance. "Look, I like you. I really do, but... I don't... think that I like you like that," she tried to explain.

Though he may not believe it, Thyri knew how he felt. Once upon a time, at an age not unlike his own today, a younger Thyri had fallen for the dapper, dashing Ezra Vahn. But his heart had belonged to another and, though she, too, had been let down and made to feel a fool, she had grown from the experience and the friendship she nurtured with Ezra afterwards was one of her best. As she waited for Willow to respond, her eyes dancing upon his face, she wondered if she could have such a friendship with this young man as well.

[WC — 372]

Cour des Miracles
Chambellan
Mandi
S K J A L D M Æ R
trouble is a friend

Dead Topics