if you trust nothing else, trust this

POSTED: Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:13 pm

Myrtle had explained to Odalis during one of their encounters that The Hotel was only a temporary home now to the many wolves of the Court - soon they would move to a new homestead, and it was obvious as to why. Odalis liked the first floor of the hotel, and found that she spent alot of time rearranging her room - despite knowing that soon she would move with the rest of them. Kalypso was in charge of the project, and Odalis wondered if perhaps the girl - of a similar age to herself - would be open to sharing with her the ideas that the Court had come up with.

Odalis had snuck up a drafty stairwell to inspect what was left of the upper levels, but was disappointed to discover that most of the access points had been blocked with large pieces of furniture.

This did not deter her, and so she swept into the rooms that appeared to be abandoned, eagerly picking through items that had long been abandoned. Some of the rooms had gaping holes, and she found herself reaching for her shawl, pulling the fabric tightly over her shoulders as she inspected books that had swollen with snow and rain. There had been beauty in this place, it was obvious despite the chaos that surrounded her.

Odalis sang to herself as she tidied, finding some sort of peace in the organization of the room that was likely never to be used. Leather bound books caught her attention, and she pulled one from the ground to hold delicately between her pale hands. 'Lord of the Rings' - the title gleamed in gold, and she turned it round and round - the writing inside too broken to be legible any longer, the pages long ripped and sagged against their bindings.

Come join little Odie!

Thread prompt: There are many great things to still find in the Hotel, so perhaps there are unknown treasures hiding in the old dusty rooms?

Cour des Miracles
Duchesse
Amanda

POSTED: Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:01 pm

Word Count: [000] Form: Optime Date: 16/12/17 Time: 00 AM/PM
Is that BOOKS I smell? Hope you don't mind me joining, feel like Gilmore would be perfect for what Odalis found!

The Court was a place of wonders for the daydreaming boy. He'd barely got a lay of the land here and already he loved it, and was even writing up short drafts using locations as plot points for his stories, or sketching all the new things. This place was a city of imagination for Gilmore, from the stables to the training ground to the temple and then the Hotel. Gilmore didn't really know what a Hotel was until it had been pointed out to him. It wasn't in the best of shape, but the boy immediately saw it as a castle, the homestead of knights and heroes of all shapes and sizes. True, Gilmore had recently been told the Hotel wasn't going to be the home forever, and plans were being made for something new. But there was beauty in the old wood and stone work still, that Gilly couldn't help but adore.

His stay hadn't been long, but Gilmore enjoyed his time here in the Court. It took him a little while to fully understand where he was. Skoll had been good with him, explained the pack well, as well as Gilmore could understand, and there many friendly faces willing to give the boy time to get to know them as his new family. He saw a lot of pity in the eyes of others, something Gilmore hoped he could prove was unnecessary over time, but for now Gilly understood that no one here truly knew him and none expected the boy's disability at first glance. The boy hoped word was getting around about him, the new young Seigneur who couldn't hear, but he had no way of knowing if it was.

He was spending his day in the Hotel for now, avoiding the biting chill of the outside air and exploring in the hope of finding even more wonder to this place. Gilmore had sketched a few rooms, obviously exaggerating them to look more lively, like the resting place of heroes should be. For now he was hoping to find something new once more. And at last Gilmore was getting used to constantly checking for new scents, as to not accidentally interrupt others, or go somewhere he shouldn't. Amidst the thick, dusty air Gilmore picked up something. Someone was exploring this place with him. Gilmore followed his nose, trusting his eyes only to guide him around the unfortunate destruction that had fallen upon this place many years ago. Eventually he found himself in a different room, facing the back of a fellow Courtier as she searched the ground for items. Gilmore immediately noticed the book in her grasp, though couldn't see it's title. "Um..." Gilmore hummed, unaware if his approach had been too quiet for her to notice or not, "Looking for treasure? I... I see you found something wonderful." He added with a smile, free hand naturally resting over his satchel, now mostly empty other than a few of his books and bits of paper.

"Sorry... I'm Gilmore, I was recently brought here to find a new home. I... I was told I should start telling others that I am, u-unfortunately deaf so... so it might make it hard to... talk. Um... I-I have some paper," And Gilmore held out a couple of pieces to prove his point, "I-If you'd like to use them to write on... S-sorry if I'm being annoying."

Table by Kitty. Original

Gilmore Whiteheart

POSTED: Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:41 pm

The book was heavy in her hands, the pages engorged with mildew and rain water. Books like this had lined her rooms in Onuba for Akantha had always explained that knowledge was power – but Odalis always thought that her mother was looking for ways to display her family’s exuberant wealth. The Amaranthe manor was resplendent and Odalis had attempted to capture some of that grandeur in her tiny room in the Chien hotel.

Winter would not allow for fresh flowers, but come spring time she was determined to have her room filled to the brim with fresh blooms.

The embossed title felt strange beneath her fingers, and she was clicking her teeth thoughtfully as Gilmore approached. She had not expected the company and was startled by the sudden voice that echoed tentatively in the dusty room. She fumbled the book in her hands, almost dropping it, but blinked up at the dark dog with a friendly smile.

”Oh hello-“ She started, but drew silent as he continued to speak, not acknowledging her greeting. For a long moment she was confused, and she felt her brows draw together until atlast she understood.

He was deaf.

She straightened, her silky tail wagging beneath her skirts. She held up a hand to wave at him in greeting, and spoke slowly. ”My name is Odalis. Odalis.” She tapped herself on the chest, and drew closer as he offered her scraps of paper to write on. She took them in her hands and canted her head curiously. ”I am new too.” She took note of the satchel slung across his chest, and the way his dark eyes watched her with a quiet curiousity.

She couldn’t imagine what it was like to go through the world without being able to hear anything.

She drew the book closer, before holding it out to him to see.

”Have you read this?”

Thank you for being so patient <3

Cour des Miracles
Duchesse
Amanda

POSTED: Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:27 pm

No worries :)

A trouble of Gilmore's was knowing when he was silent and when he was not. He had no way of knowing the volume in which he moved. It had hunting more difficult to achieve, and made it harder to stop unintentionally making others jump when he approached them. Perhaps he should invest in a bell to hang around his neck when not hunting, or perhaps the boy was just overcompensating for something he didn't really need to worry about. Still, he grimaced a little when his introduction seemed to startle the silky coated woman, and Gilly instinctively raised his hands to prove he was no harm. Being startled wasn't fun, Gilmore had to deal with the results of that an uncomfortable amount of times given how very easy it was to sneak up on him.

Gilmore's quick introduction seemed to settle in well with the other, and he was glad. He'd not yet met anyone in the Court not willing to be patient with him, and it was something Gilmore hoped would be repeated as he got himself better known to his pack-mates. She did still speak however, causing Gilly to stare and try and figure out what she meant. An introduction, it seemed. The name was lost to the deaf boy, but he still nodded and smiled. She seemed to observe him for a moment, before suddenly showing the book in the boy's direction. Gilmore's dark eyes investigated the front of the book for but a moment before they gleamed, and the boy chuckled.

"Oh I know this book! I-in fact I know this book very well, you see..." Gilmore's hand sunk into his satchel, rummaging around until it revealed his own copy of The Lord of the Rings. "I've r-read it many many times now. It's a v-very good book." He held his hand out to the other, willing to let her see his copy that was in considerably better condition. "My older sister found it for me, whilst I was very ill. She thought it m-might keep me busy since I... lost my hearing. I-I honestly have no idea how she found it, but it's one of my m-most precious possessions."

Th boy's tail was moving fast, excited to merely talk about his favourite story. "It's a r-really good story," Gilmore commented, then wrinkled his nose a little, "w-well, once you get over all the bizarre parts to it."

Table by Kitty. Original

Gilmore Whiteheart

POSTED: Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:38 pm

Books had always been important to Akantha and she had attempted to instill this in her children. Odalis had spent many hours lounging in The Estates Library (She remember a specific occasion were Lucian had cut off a long piece of her hair while she had been bent reading) and had accumulated a list of titles that she enjoyed reading. Her travels had not allowed her the luxury of toting books around - save for her mothers journals - as she had been forced to pack light to allow for trades and the collection that came with scavenging.

The Court had an ample collection and now that she had met Gilmore she was pleased to know that someone in the pack would look to preserve what books they could - especially with an impending move on the horizon.

She smiled at him, giving her tail a short wave behind her as he blinked curiously to read the title of the book lay before him. She wasn't sure what she was expecting, but when pulled the same book from his pouch she threw back her head and laughed. "You already have it?!" She chuckled, "Dios, what are the chances?" She took the heavy tomb from him and ran her slender fingers along the spine - turning it over to inspect the tiny scrawl across its back.

"I'm sorry that you were sick - but that is nice of your sister to look after you." She gestured as best she could, "Is your sister here? In the pack with you?" She raised her voice, but realized that this was futile... as he was deaf and could not hear her at all.

"What is the book about?"

Cour des Miracles
Duchesse
Amanda

POSTED: Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:19 pm

OOC

Something Gilmore didn't get to experience much was sharing. He wasn't selfish, but growing up, no one was as interested in his books as Gilmore was. His family would share tales and stories with each others, but just not the paper ones Gilmore chose to love. And then when he got into the books his sister brought him, Gilly never had a chance to show her how good they were. So he didn't have much practice in sharing, but the boy knew he'd enjoy it. Being able to talk openly about a book, about why he loved it and what makes it so special, was something Gilmore longed to do. Perhaps he'd get a chance to do so in the Court.

Gilly grinned alongside his fellow Courtier as she gleamed at his copy, "I-I don't know if you'd call that luck or fate." Gilmore commented. He moved his dark eyes from his book to the female, focusing on her movements to try and determine what she was saying. He was improving every day on translating body language into words, now that Gilly had the time and the sanctuary to practice. And also when his pack mates were kind enough to help him understand, through the gestures of their limbs. Gilmore's ears dropped a little, quickly guessing her question. "No she um... I lost her a while ago, b-before I could thank her for the books." He admitted.

More then happy to move topic, Gilmore's eyes gleamed as his friend gestured to the book. The boy hummed in thought for a moment. "It's about... an adventure, I s-suppose. About a group of friends not used to leaving their homeland deciding to travel across dangerous lands to save the world. Th-they meet new friends, fight enemies and learn new things. It's... a hard book to understand at first, but after a while it begins to make sense." Gilmore tried to explain. "Oh! Th-the main part of the book is about this ring, hence the title, that holds terrible power and needs to be destroyed. The book has a lot of... weird things in it. Like creatures called orcs, that are these big brutish and evil creatures, as well as small people called hobbits."

The boy couldn't tell, but his voice was becoming more and more joyful as he explained the premise of his book, and a smile was plastered onto Gilly's face when he finally stopped talking. "I-If you wanted to read it, I don't mind um, lending it to you."

Table by Kitty. Original

Gilmore Whiteheart

POSTED: Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:32 am

Gilmore was shy, and Odalis found herself absently tidying the room as he spoke. There were so many aspects of the hotel that she loved – there was a quiet history in every corner – but so much of it was in disrepair. She straightened a fallen Vase that was chipped along its lip, and smiled sadly at the man as he explained that his sister was no longer of this world. ”I’m sorry Gilmore,” and she allowed him to change the topic quickly to other things.

She couldn’t imagine losing someone close to her. The thought of her brothers being gone forever filled her with a sense of loss even now – and she held a hand for a moment against her chest as if to center herself.

The joy in his voice as he described the story had her smiling again soon after. She glanced at the book in her hands and nodded as he spoke. ”That sounds like a book I would like.” She grinned at him, ”I haven’t been on many adventures myself you know.” She opened the book to its first page, glancing briefly at the prose that lay therein. ”This seems easier then trying it out for myself.”

”You describe the book very well.” She glanced at his paper, and gestured with the charcoal, ”Do you write?” She laughed, ”It sounds like you like stories very much.”

She patted his arm, ”I would love to borrow this book from you, thank you.”

Cour des Miracles
Duchesse
Amanda

POSTED: Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:47 pm

So sorry for the wait!

Loss was a heavy weight, and Gilmore couldn't deny that he felt the loss of his family every day. But, at the same time, he knew what they'd want him to do, and he knew from the stories in his books that letting the weight carry him down would do no good. Despite his problems and the difficulties he faced, Gilmore wanted to live a good life, so he never liked to dwell on the deaths of his family.

It only made sense that with a topic like books and stories, Gilmore's translation of another's body language was far more attuned and accurate than it would be in any other conversation. Even without much visual aid, Gilly could guess quite well at whatever his companion was saying to him. Gilmore grinned back, folding his arms neatly across his chest now that they were free from the book, "I'm sure there aren't any r-real adventures like... um, like the ones in the book, but it is nice to imagine there are. Maybe with a bit less danger though, there's lots of that in the story." Gilmore replied, thinking of all the moments in the trilogy when the fellowship were in risk of dying.

The dark coated boy's tail moved quicker as the regal lady asked him further, about writing judging from her gestures. "I write a little bit... nothing as long or nearly as good as that book but, just a few stories. I... I grew up with a lot of imaginary adventures you see." Gilmore explained. "Me and my siblings would spend our time pretending to be great adventures, defeating evil and finding treasures. I guess it was what made me fall in love with books and stories. And... well, for someone like me who can't understand or um, follow much of the world around him, stories are a great way to cope, I guess."

The pat on his arm was reassuring, and Gilmore nodded politely. "There are two other books that follow that one, um... if you wanted to read them just let me know, I'm usually in the library."

Table by Kitty. Original

Gilmore Whiteheart

Dead Topics