Dumb fish with one tin eye, watching for glints

POSTED: Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:16 pm

OOC: All Welcome! Lee is doin’ a little ice fishing at Anguille Lake. I hope to use this for a profession thread, so dedicated respondents only please! :>

IC:

Water vapor puffed from her jowls as she crouched over the ice, pulling the wood “bow” back and forth like a cellist to spin the staff that drilled down into the ice. As it spun, the stone awl rotated and sent flecks of frost scattering at her feet — but she chipped away more and more at the ice until a small hole had formed. This finished, she sighed and plopped down at the water’s edge, casting the bow drill aside.

From closer to the shallows, Dreyma flashed her a grimace. “Careful or you’ll scare ’em all away, or break the ice. I do not want to have to explain to your father that you drowned by throwing tools everywhere.”

Galilee glanced over her shoulder at the dark she-wolf and rolled her eyes. “Bring me my stuff,” she said, and the wolf hesitated for several moments, her green eyes narrow. Lee lowered her ears submissively, tilting her head in a nonverbal “please,” and the older female finally walked to the snow at the lakeshore and picked up the line. On four legs she brought this over to Lee,who began to unspool the fishing line and popped a small piece of meat on the bone hook, which she sent down into the hole she’d painstakingly drilled.

Holding onto the line and waiting for a tug, she glanced at Dreyma, who’d sat down with her tail curled neatly over her paws. “Thanks,” she said softly, “for helping me.”

“It’s fine.”
Dreyma sounded gentle, almost… well, she sounded a lot like her mom. Dreyma’s mom, that was. Lee heard that Dreyma wasn’t related to Shiloh by blood at all, and she acted so different from the courtly woman sometimes, but that hint of mischief was Shiloh’s and the gentleness was almost like Shiloh’s, too.

Lee didn’t think it really fit Dreyma, sounding all maternal. Dreyma didn’t seem to think so either, as after a moment she flattened her ears and dipped her head to groom her white chest. Shrugging off the awkwardness, Galilee returned her attention to the hole in the ice.

Cour des Miracles
Roturier (NPC)
Raze
Luperci
spear of justice!
anime is real.

POSTED: Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:11 pm

Odalis had begun travelling further and further from the Chien Hotel - seeking out the quiet corners of the territory that the Court had to offer her. Her rooms had taken on a life of their own - and had Akantha seen them she would have laughed, for there was something of the little cabin in Sapient that Ciellen and her had shared. Odalis was an avid collector, and it was evident by the items that she displayed along shelves and mantles. Some were of little to no value - but she could remember the day she had found that pristine blue piece of sea glass along Sapients shores, the small golden ring lost amongst the tiles of her mothers great estate. All of these things and more she cherished, and so it was that the little auburn girl began to flourish.

She had inspected the green house and the gardens - and at long last had found the temple and the brooding men that lingered inside. She had been silent with discipline there, but had been glad to have made their acquaintance.

Silvano too came and went - and she found herself drawn to the quiet king for reasons she could not explain.

It was strange, this time of her life - caught between being a girl and a woman. Sometimes she felt that she would split open, spilling her pieces against the snow with the fervor of it. She burned with a yearning she did not understand, and so she threw herself into making her room perfect, exploring further and further and keeping busy.

She rode Bardi through the drifts of snow, pressing him to crash through the tallest peaks - his wide chest parting the snow with ease before them. Odalis had worn her thickest wool skirt, her cloak drawn closed over the hollow of her throat with a pin that glinted brightly beneath the cloudy sky. Her hair stuck out brightly against the monochromatic landscape, the birches and firs silent as she passed. Winter seemed to do that - and the earth was muffled and soft even as she threw back her head and laughed into the newly falling snowflakes.

When she caught sight of the frozen pond she drew her horse to a stop, the golden figure with her dark companion standing out agains the ice. Odalis dropped from her animal and patted him, ordering him to stay put (a futile thing, she knew) and hiked up her skirts to tredge through the snow. She gingerly placed her paws on the ice, testing her weight before she stood tall, her brows quirked in question.

"Is this safe?"

HI... wow I wrote alot SORRY

Salsola
Indentured Servant
Amanda
Maintenance Aide (I GOT THAT BROOM BROOM BROOM)

POSTED: Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:47 pm

[287]

Galilee twisted an ear back at the sound of plodding footfalls, but when Dreyma was quiet beside her, she made no move to lift her fishing line. She did, however, grin and glance over her shoulder at the chestnut-haired girl who started to inch out onto the ice.

“Not really,” she said.

Beside her, the dark she-wolf smirked then rose to her own four feet. She glanced at the newcomer with curiosity naked on her wolfish face, but when she answered her voice was good-natured and direct. “You’re at most risk for slipping and bruising yourself. Go slow, and use your claws for traction. The ice is thick enough as long as you don’t go stomping around.”

Meanwhile, Galilee thought she felt a tug. She jerked the line up, and it plopped out of the water, landing on the ice. The chunk of meat was soggy but intact, and she blew air through her jowls in frustration.

“Do you wanna try?”
she asked, glancing up at the girl again and studying her more closely this time. She looked roughly a year older than Lee, with soft spaniel ears and a rich pattern of sandy browns and reds. She was better dressed than Lee for sure, but Galilee followed her father’s logic; she didn’t need clothes to keep warm (her fur was thick enough for that) and they tended to restrict her if she needed to shift. Her only adornment was her star and faux-pearl necklace: a sentimental piece.

“I’m Galilee, or Lee,” she added with a wag of her tail. “My dad’s the Seneschal, and I’m hoping to make Page soon. You’re new here, right?”

Cour des Miracles
Roturier (NPC)
Raze
Luperci
spear of justice!
anime is real.

POSTED: Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:10 pm

Odalis felt herself being drawn to Galilee and the dark woman even as they eyed her scrabbling across the icy lake. It was difficult to look like a lady while holding your skirts aloft in front of you to make sure that your claws made contact with each step - and she could feel her cloak falling from one of her thin shoulders so that it hung awkwardly to one side.

"Not really," Odalis bawked, sliding a few feet forward, "What!?"

But then the dark woman spoke and Odalis felt better, and she crept closer and closer until at last she was standing with them and she allowed a proud expression to flit about her lips. "That was harder than I thought it would be." She pulled her skirts into place and adjusted the lean of her cloak, "You two seem to have the hang of it."

Dreyma was wolfish looking, and Odalis swayed on her feet shyly - turning to inspect the sharp toothed dog who leaned over her ice-hole with large green eyes. When she yanked on the line it emerged with a wet smack and Odalis couldn't help the giggle that burst from her pretty lips. "The fish like that?"

She extended a hand to take the rod from the strawberry-blonde girl, "What do I do."

Odalis had not grown up in the wilds - and she realized quite suddenly that she was useless in this scenario.

"I am Odalis Amaranthe - Yeah I am a, uh... Chevalier." She grinned brightly as she dropped her line into the water, "What's a Page?"

Salsola
Indentured Servant
Amanda

POSTED: Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:43 pm

[330]

Galilee couldn't help it; she laughed when the well-dressed lady slid and exclaimed fearfully, and grinned in apology for laughing.

"I've been running around on ice since I was little," Lee bragged.

Dreyma rolled her eyes at this. "I bet your father loved that."

"He beat my ass."

It wasn't really true, but the first time Skoll had ever spanked her was when she went fleeing across a frozen pond ignoring his warnings; she was probably only a couple months old then. It hadn't hurt; he'd just swatted her rump, and she'd mostly started crying because he looked so serious and frightened when he did it. Eventually, though, she stopped being afraid of his worried looks, and started to resent them.

He'd gotten a lot better since she became a Seigneur, an adult, and she'd started to understand why he was so afraid. She talked about it with Shiloh sometimes.

"Apparently not," Galilee mumbled when the girl giggled at the hunk of meat. Maybe it looked like someone had nibbled it, but that was only if she kind of squinted and looked for it. "I dunno. I wanted to find a little fish to put on the hook instead. Fish are fish's favorite thing to eat."

She wagged her tail when the other reached out for the line. Galilee didn't have a fancy rod -- just line whose slack she'd wound around her hand. She passed this over to Odalis, feeling an odd pang to know that the girl outranked her despite being an outsider, but maintained her friendly (if toothy) smile.

"The Page is kind of like the starting warrior rank," Galilee said. "I'm learning how to fight, and hoping I can prove myself to my dad and the King soon enough. Luckily I have a lot of teachers."

She looked Odalis over. "Do you know what you want to do in the pack yet?' she asked.

Cour des Miracles
Roturier (NPC)
Raze
Luperci
spear of justice!
anime is real.

POSTED: Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:37 am

Odalis laughed in the company of the two women - it was apparently that they got along quite well, and their banter reminded her of the sort of talks she and Lucian would get into on a regular basis. Lucian had enjoyed more than anything offering the occasional barbed remark and when he had found one that hit the mark just right he was able to topple anyones confidence swiftly. Odalis wondered about both of her brother often and sometimes wished that the calm and brooding Solomon had joined her in her journey across the sea.

Odalis raised her brow at the straw-berry gold woman, "How do you know so much about fish?" Dreyma was chuckling to herself, and Odalis struggled to get the little line back down into the hole.

"In Onuba I was a Medics Apprentice." The water splashed as she jerked the rod - but realized that there was nothing there. "I think I would like to continue my training here." She smiled shyly, "I do enjoy teaching... I could always teach children to read and write. Or maybe sing!" She grinned at Galilee and Dreyma, before allowing her attention to settle on the warrior girl

"You look strong. Maybe you could teach me a thing or two on defending myself."

Thank you for being so patient <3

Salsola
Indentured Servant
Amanda

POSTED: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:27 am

Thank you! I've got enough to count this as a profession thread so we can wrap it up with your reply or archive if you prefer!

I talk to one, Galilee replied. Or, well, he's a dolphin.

She said this like it wasn't a strange thing, to dive beneath the waves and interpret the clicks and whistles of that odd sea-tongue. But she had learned a lot from her cetacean friend, even if the fact that he wasn't really a fish was not among this. Friends didn't have casual conversations about milk and breathing. (She didn't think it odd he picked up on her concept of needing air rather quickly for a supposed fish.)

Dreyma was shaking her head, maybe in disbelief or disapproval, but Lee ignored her. Her father's friend was far less interesting than this Onuban girl.

Really! That's good, we need some of those. My uncle who used to live here was a medic. His wife is still around; she knows a lot about the herbs that grow in this area. Rio, she clarified. Her eyes jumped to the line when Odalis jerked it from the water, but nothing hung onto its end.

She grinned at the thought of reading and singing, then grinned more broadly when complimented on her strength. Heat flushed through her eartips, but she waggled these proudly as she answered. I'd love that.

She was about to say more, try her hand at flirting or bragging, when she noticed the line begin to get away from Odalis. With a bark, she lashed out and wrapped her fingers around the string. Wind the slack around your hand as I pull it up, she said, and hand over hand started to haul out some silvery-brown, wriggling creature that soon gaped and flopped on the ice.

Awesome! Galilee whooped. That'll make a good lunch! She reached over to playfully, gently cuff Odalis' shoulder. Thanks for all your help! she added, completely genuine.

Cour des Miracles
Roturier (NPC)
Raze
Luperci
spear of justice!
anime is real.

Dead Topics