We stripped away our hesitations

[p. Thyri]

POSTED: Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:53 pm

There were plans to make, decisions to play out, but Kalypso felt stuck. She had to give her new family time, and the pack needed her to be patient. So, she waited. She had to avoid the mistakes of the usurper Queen, especially if she did not want to have the exact same brand as she. Already, though, she had managed to give some changes through Abigail as a guise, but did nothing dramatic beyond that. She had to wait.

But she wanted things settled. She had loved her blooded brother, and her half-sisters through her mother's side dearly. Kalypso missed that close bond, that familial affection, and found that she wanted at least some semblance of that with her father's half-siblings. Of them all, the eldest seemed the most likely to become affectionate first and she slowly worked with them. She was polite and kind to Abigail, and insistent with Alessan, in the effort to get on their good sides. The only half-brother around seemed not to care one way or the other and greeted her as he had before the announcement, which she greatly appreciated. Abigail was not quite the same, but she was not as bad as Serena's announcement at her violent ascension.

Thyri was the next logical choice, as they had agreed on matters of state and trade once before. They had been in agreement over Mistral, but it seemed that there was still a divide between them. Serena and Gaia would not likely warm to her much, if at all.

Kalypso sought her half-sister with every intention of being cordial, polite, even though she wanted to draw the woman into helping her with plans for the Court. She had once been interested in such a thing, perhaps it would be again. She came with her sketches in hand, knowing that the four elder Stormbringer-Sadira children would appreciate the design she had picked for the home. The bark was rolled up enough to be a tube that could unfurl.

"Can we talk, Thyri?" she asked, with a gesture of the rolled bark.

vague af, no idea where she is.

KALYPSO SAVOY
If I knew you were a sellout. A thief. Use me up - I would have never let you near me.

Player WikiCommissionsCharacter Wiki
Cour des Miracles
Reine
Gen
† ♥ SANG DE LA MER ♥ †
the power that you crave

POSTED: Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:07 am

There were feelings that Thyri had scarcely felt before ebbing and flowing within her grief-stricken heart: confusion, betrayal, desolation. Never before had she lost someone of her own blood and never before had she felt betrayed by someone of her own blood. It was difficult to say which was worse, but both left her with an acute sense of loneliness the likes of which sunk much deeper than even her darkest days as a loner.

But she wanted resolution. She wanted to understand and she wanted to forgive and she wanted to heal. She wanted to move on from this and hoped that, by doing so, she could reclaim her life again.

She started with her father, the revelation of his unfaithfulness to Shiloh a greater source of emotional turmoil than the identity of Kalypso as her half-sister, and decided that she would work her way up from there. But to heal completely, Thyri also needed to face the eyes and thoughts of her pack mates and that meant leaving the hotel room that had become her infirmary.

Not since Mistral's execution had Thyri left the hotel for much more than to relieve herself and to see her immediate family. Reblin had been kind enough to bring her food and water, providing her with everything that she asked him for. And while this time spent in her hotel room was necessary for her body to convalesce, Thyri realized that it was fast becoming unhealthy for her mind. She took brief, quiet trips outside the hotel at first that she gradually lengthened each time she ventured out.

Today, she chanced a trip down to the stables to visit her gelding. Standing outside Baldr's stall, Thyri had not anticipated speaking with Kalypso quite yet. But it seemed that the gods had other plans for her. "Your Majesty," she replied when the Reine had found her. Her tone was clipped, but not disrespectful. Baldr lifted his dark ears and stretched his neck toward Kalypso. "Of course." Turning her back to the medicine hat gelding who used to belong to her mother, Thyri looked at her half sister and waited.

OOC: Thank you for starting! I hope the location is okay. <3

[WC — 360]

don't leave this world to me
Cour des Miracles
Chambellan
Mandi
Ægishjálmr: Helm of Awe
S K J A L D M Æ R
trouble is a friend

POSTED: Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:45 pm

Thyri was a bit more abrupt with her than expected, but Kalypso said nothing on the matter. How would she have felt in their shoes to learn of a half-sister living in their midst? And then to have the same half-sister reveal herself by crowning herself. Yeah, that didn’t really endear her to them very much. She would have been equally upset. Her response would have been volatile, though, and she was mercifully glad that none had come at her in the middle of the night.

The horse that the woman tended to looked at her with large eyes. The creature was handsome, that much was sure, but Kalypso had no real skill in horsemanship beyond a rudimentary riding ability. It had never been needed on the island to ride a horse when it was possible to travel the entire thing relatively quickly. Boats, too, were far more common considering the fact the islands were surrounded by sea. Kalypso had better knowledge of sailing ships and navigation than she did of how on earth to take care of a horse.

But still. The creature was lovely.

”I came to get your opinion on some sketches I’ve constructed for the housing situation. I thought you and the Archiduchessa might have the best opinions on them.” Naturally, her second was consulted, but Thyri was equally important on the topic. Kalypso waved the rolled up bark slightly, but her gaze was still on the stallion.

”Lovely horse, is it yours?” she asked curiously, looking down the stalls. There were likely some missing mounts following the departure of the Marshall and his family, as well as Linden’s banishment from the Court. There were still a hearty bunch, though, and there were a few eyes peering down the aisle toward the duo.

KALYPSO SAVOY
If I knew you were a sellout. A thief. Use me up - I would have never let you near me.

Cour des Miracles
Reine
Gen
† ♥ SANG DE LA MER ♥ †
the power that you crave

POSTED: Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:17 pm

Winter's kiss had touched them all, as was evident in the woolly pelts that they wore thick and warm about their bodies, and Baldr was no exception. His ivory hide was heavily furred, a difference that might not seem so obvious to those who did not spend as much time in the Court's stables. Thyri scratched at the shaggy hairs lining her gelding's jaw, turning her head from her half-sister to Baldr's dark eyes. "He is," she agreed. "Baldr was my mother's once. She gifted him to me when I was still young." The smile faded from her face and she lowered her hand to rest on the stall door, facing Kalypso once more.

Her eyes drifted from the Reine to the rolled bark in her hands. To say that she didn't feel a twinge of pride when her worth was voiced aloud would have been a lie. Instead, she said nothing. With a nod, Thyri gave Baldr's chin a final scratch and turned her back to his stall. "There's a spot just over here where we can roll that out and take a look," she offered, gesturing to an open part of the stable.

But Thyri didn't move, not right away. She paused and let herself feel the pounding of her pulse in her throat. "Kalypso," she said, understanding there could be consequences for speaking so frankly. But her heart wanted answers and the logic in her head stood no chance against the passion within it. Thyri breathed in. "I can't blame you for our father's misdeeds." She paused and flicked her eyes upon the Reine's young face. They were shaded by heavy brows. "But you should have told us. We should have known. Before."

Before Mistral's arrival. Before Shiloh's death. Before the usurper's execution. Before the entirely of the Gods-forsaken Court found out. Before, before, before. Thyri breathed out again. "Did you have anything to do with any of it? Of Mistral coming here or of... of..." She couldn't form her lips around the words of Shiloh's death. "Of any of it?" Please tell me you didn't. Please show me you didn't. Her eyes were open and pleading.

[WC — 381]

Cour des Miracles
Chambellan
Mandi
S K J A L D M Æ R
trouble is a friend

POSTED: Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:29 pm

Shiloh's horse. The woman touched everything in their lives, it seemed. She sympathized, knowing that her own mother had touched her life in much the same way. But there was a difference; Shiloh was dead and Mara was not.

Thyri did not turn her away, for all that there was an air of hesitation between them. It was not hard to imagine what it was, though Kalypso did give a smile without thinking. She was glad that she could find ways to rope people in, even if it seemed like manipulation. In all honesty, she did not need Thyri's guidance for anything, but the woman was family and high ranking thanks to her efforts and her sacrifices.

That smile faltered when the woman did not move and her name rang like some kind of hammer hitting a nail too sharply. It almost felt sour. But it was a conversation that she very much thought would happen. She did not move, raising her brows so as to seem to listen intently, for she did but it was better than something neutral.

Kalypso listened even though she wanted to snap back before her half-sister finished speaking. She listened because that was what leaders did, good leaders. Mistral had demonstrated that to her and she tried very hard to learn those lessons quickly.

Eyes were searching in hers as though answers were to be found reflected back like a mirror. The Reine took a deep breath and shut her eyes to the prying gaze. Exhaling, her eyes opened slowly and met Thyri without hesitation.

"Why would I do such a thing? Bring a crazy woman with connections to our father's throne? I can't say I appreciate the implication in that accusation." She did look a little peeved about it, mostly because it had definitely occurred to her how it could all look. Like she had planned it. "I may have kept a great secret from you all but I would not conspire to bring in a madwoman who killed your mother, with whom I had no quarrel." She was not her mother, but she was her father's wife and her siblings' mother.

"I did not think it right to share. I did not want to.. rise so high on name alone." She truly did not want to hurt the family as she had, for family was more valuable than allies in the end. "I thought to spare your mother's feelings and let our father keep his dignity for a while longer." The man seemed to be wilting, and she doubted that the revelation of his infidelity had helped.

KALYPSO SAVOY

Cour des Miracles
Reine
Gen
† ♥ SANG DE LA MER ♥ †
the power that you crave

POSTED: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:35 pm

Except for her brows, which lifted above oceanic eyes, neither did Kalypso move. Instead, she listened and, for all Thyri knew, she listened without judgement or distraction. When she had finished; when she had voiced the toxic concerns and the darkest thoughts that threatened to keep her up at night, the Reine took in a breath and closed her eyes. Thyri held her own, waiting with pleading eyes for her half-sister to respond.

Thyri was not duplicitous by nature and her abilities to sniff out those who commanded such a skill were sorely lacking. Vinátta had never prepared her for such behavior and her time spent in Casa di Cavalieri was too short to learn the deceitful ways of others. But, for better or for worse, life had taught her to be mistrustful of all but those closest to her inner circle. And Kalypso was not yet close enough, but Thyri thought that could change.

The Reine was regarded silently and with obvious consideration. A fizzle of her old attitude – that fierce and fiery temper she had shown before the shame and sadness of Mistral's cruelty – flashed in the depths of her pale eyes but her head remained steady and calm.

"The promise of power makes people do unthinkable things," she replied. She knew that now. They all did. But as she looked at her half-sister, and thought of their connection from the past summer and the camaraderie they shared during the siege, Thyri felt her worries slowly subside.

Lowering her ears apologetically, Thyri glanced away. "I'm sorry," she murmured. "I had to ask. I... It's hard to know who I can trust any more." She thought of Silvano and closed her eyes. "Gods, everything is so twisted up." She lifted a hand and pinched the bridge of her nose between her thumb and index finger of her uninjured hand.

Letting her arm drop to her side again, Thyri scoffed derisively and one side of her mouth twitched "Father lost his right at dignity the moment he chose to sleep with another woman." Her face softened and she sighed, looking away. But she could not deny that she was glad her mother had never been dredged through the shock and shame of Silvano's adultery. She flicked her eyes upon Kalypso again.

"I don't want to fight with you. I just... need assurance that I can trust you, as my sister and as my Reine. No more secrets." She paused. "Am I asking too much?"

[WC — 422]

Cour des Miracles
Chambellan
Mandi
S K J A L D M Æ R
trouble is a friend

POSTED: Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:26 pm

It seemed that Thyri needed a sounding wall more than anything else. She apologized, clearly looking frazzled and torn with the reality of the world they lived in. Kalypso had time to prepare herself before she saw the true family her father had cultivated. She knew she had been a product of a clandestine love affair, but it was another thing to see the truth slapped into her face with a collection of half-siblings and a devoted familial connection between them.

”He made mistakes we are all capable of,” she said softly, knowing both of her own parents were responsible for the mess. Her mother could have turned away, knowing of his partner. Her father could have put a stop to it, for all appearances against such a thing. The Reine did not point out the fact that their father had done the same thing once before and resulted in the conception of her older siblings and the termination of his first mateship.

Kalypso fiddled with a lock of hair that had cascaded over her shoulder and within grasp. She hummed thoughtfully as she regarded Thyri, asked for promises of truth. It was a hard promise to give, for someone who was far more determined to succeed in any way necessary short of brutish murder. Lies were easy and spread better than truth, but the Court was used to honesty. ”I can promise you honesty if it concerns you, the family, or the Court.” There were secrets in her past that were private and she was not about to share them willy-nilly. ”There are things in my past I would keep to myself, but I’m sure you’re the same.” Everyone had secrets.

Clearing her throat, she gestured with the roll and moved to the table without much fuss. She unrolled it carefully, finding some cracks in places as she wedged loose scraps from the table to hold down the bark. On the surface were drawn sketches of houses that were decided reminiscent of Vinatta’s earthen homes but with a twist of stonework front walls. ”I spoke with Abigail about this and I apologize for the rough sketches, but I was working off another’s description from the submissions; it’s not something I’ve really seen before.” She said, shaking her mane of waves, smoothing the surface and getting charcoal on her fingers.

-

KALYPSO SAVOY

Cour des Miracles
Reine
Gen
† ♥ SANG DE LA MER ♥ †
the power that you crave

POSTED: Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:37 am

As her emotions ebbed and flowed, Kalypso seemed static through it all – a calm, solid pillar of stability and silence. Her half-sister may not have orchestrated anything, but the fact remained that she had taken advantage of an aging King and a denounced Queen, rising above them all to claim control of the realm that was Cour des Miracles.

And, as Thyri aired out her concerns and voiced her thoughts and sought her reassurances, Kalypso behaved with poise and control. The Dawnbringer felt herself becoming placated, not increasingly agreeable to the idea of this woman as ruler of the Court but also slowly accepting of Kalypso as her sister.

"Are we?" Thyri asked, giving the Reine a measured look. She looked away. "Maybe." For her part, Thyri had never had a single partner so she couldn't imagine herself having multiples at the same time. But of his other transgressions, perhaps there was truth to Kalypso's softly-spoken argument. She softened her own tone. "Still, this is something that will take time for me to understand. Maybe I never will. Maybe all I can hope for is to learn how to forgive."

Looking at her half-sister again, Thyri considered Kalypso's compromise thoughtfully for several moments then nodded. "I can respect that," she said of the woman's past. Straightening, the Dawnbringer allowed a small smile to turn her lips. "Thank you." And then, turning to the table that Kalypso gestured to with the rolled-up bark, Thyri followed after the Reine without another word.

With the proverbial elephant in the room having been addressed, Thyri felt lighter than she had in some time and poured over the map with pride and nostalgia. She smiled more openly. "This is great!" she replied with a brightness of her old self shining through in her tone. Thyri glanced at Kalypso and gestured carefully to the sketch. "It's like Jordheim in a way – that was the communal village in my birth pack, Vinátta. The structures were very sturdy." She looked back at the sketches, nodding approvingly. "Do you have a location in mind yet?"

[WC — 356]

Cour des Miracles
Chambellan
Mandi
S K J A L D M Æ R
trouble is a friend

POSTED: Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:56 pm

Kalypso gave a very understanding chuckle. Of course Thyri would recognize it instantly, for she had figured she would. It was definitely based on the descriptions of Jordheim, which had partially appealed to the islander used to the concept of separate but together. The Hotel operated under together in all aspects, which was like squeezing too many people in a structure and demanding they get along. That it was slowly becoming more and more unsafe made matters worse. Honestly, Kalypso hated the Hotel for its creaky floors, cracked glass windows, and layer upon layer of dust that did nothing to disguise the fact it was falling apart.

”I thought you would like it.” She carefully smoothed the bark roll with her fingers, doing her best to avoid smudging the charcoal marks. It was rudimentary but it was more than enough to give anyone an idea of what she wanted and what she was going to expect.

”I have, and I think Abigail agrees, but the hills north of the Grove? That would mean a little less work building the mounds and easy access to nearby water. There is a stream that runs through it and I will capitalize on it.” She furrowed her brows as she realized she had failed to grab the actual rough map that had been her creative baby, figuratively speaking, for the past several days. ”I had a map..,” she said apologetically, clearly not happy about her own lapse.

A sigh escaped her. But, the stream will divide homes from animal pens and communal garden.” She gave Thyri a very knowing look. It was something that she had mentioned before, and something that Kaly was more than willing to oblige. ”Though everyone can do what they like with their plot and home.” She was not about to infringe on their creativity. Her eyes went from the houses, to her half-sister, again, expectantly.

-

KALYPSO SAVOY

Cour des Miracles
Reine
Gen
† ♥ SANG DE LA MER ♥ †
the power that you crave

POSTED: Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:25 pm

A blossoming of something crucial and consequential spread within the depths of her chest as her eyes flicked and scanned the tiny, crude illustrations on the bark scroll. Jordheim. It had been a long time since she tasted the name of her birth village on her lips and longer still since she laid eyes on anything remotely resembling the earthen homes of her childhood. Thyri's fingers hovered carefully over one illustrated home, the outline of its foundation solid and dark. She blew a soft sight from her nostrils and shifted her eyes from the map to Kalypso.

Did you? she wondered with some surprise. Had Kalypso gone this route with her half-siblings in mind? Except for the youngest of the Stormbringer-Sadiras, they had all grown within the domed and den-like structures of Jordheim. Thyri blinked and glanced back down at the blueprint, a bubbling of renewed shame and newfound regret settling in the pit of her stomach. In the trauma of Shiloh's death and the chaos of Mistral's execution, Kalypso's rise to power had felt untimely and inconsiderate.

But she was an imperfect being, capable of the mistakes they were all subject. And she was trying; not just as the Court's Reine, but as their sister.

Turning her head, Thyri looked at Kalypso and listened as the woman described the location they – she and Abigail – had settled on. A smile curled her lips. It wasn't the Grove itself, she realized, but it was close enough that she felt, in some odd and trivial way, that she had ultimately won her argument with Willow that had driven a wedge between them so many moons ago. She nodded. "That's perfect," she replied, trying to conjure the location to her mind's eye.

As Kalypso continued to talk, more details popped and blossomed in her mind. The stream; animal pens; a communal garden. Thyri shifted her eyes with some understanding at her half-sister, then smiled. "It's a great idea," she replied truthfully. "It'll take a great deal of effort, but I think everyone will be eager for the opportunity to put themselves to work." She looked at the map again, and then back at Kalypso, meeting her warm, tropical eyes. "When can we start?"

[WC — 384]

Cour des Miracles
Chambellan
Mandi
S K J A L D M Æ R
trouble is a friend

Dead Topics