A Wanderer Come To Stay

POSTED: Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:49 am

Tora stood wistfully at the edge of the coast, gazing off into the ocean. He liked to imagine that just out of sight was his old island home with his clan waiting for him. But he knew he was looking at the wrong ocean. And even if it had been the Pacific he staring at, it wouldn’t have mattered. Clan Tanaka was long destroyed, everyone he knew and cared for dead.

That’s why he was here, a new start. Tora had spent more than a year without a pack, drifting from place to place without a friend.

“Hey!” The wolf’s thoughts were interrupted by a shrill voice speaking broken High Speech. “You do this, or no? Make choose now!”

Tora smiled at the source of the voice, reaching down to pet the raccoon. Alright, so he hadn’t been entirely alone. He had befriended Runner nearly 60 days before, and the raccoon had been a welcome companion. And before that he been on a ship with a decently sized crew. But the fact was that roughly half of his life was spent packless, and he was tired of it.

He let out a long howl to let any nearby wolf know that he was there before adjusting himself. He dusted off his buffalo robe and adjusted it so that the hilts of his katana and wakizashi were clearly visible above his under-kimono , a gesture meant to show that he had nothing to hide. He straightened out his bandana and held his cowboy hat in his gloved paws.

Now all there was to do was wait.
Cour des Miracles
Roturier (NPC)
Smike
Luperci

POSTED: Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:07 am

OOC: Welcome :D!

IC:
Abigail’s bow had seen more use in the few weeks since Mistral’s execution than it had in the months prior to it. The Sadira woman had always been intent on protecting her family and her pack but since the usurper Queen’s violent and short-lived reign, there had been a shift in the way she accomplished that. Where once Abigail would have been a listening ear, a shoulder to cry on and a wise mind to offer advice, now she felt a need to back those things up with physical prowess.

Sometimes Abigail trained targets from horseback. The Archiduchessa had her bow slung over her shoulder as she returned Heritage to the stables. The sorrel stallion had been sorely neglected in the past couple of months with his mistress focusing on far less pleasant things. He seemed to be in a sulk, not going so far as to throw or bite the pale she-wolf who rode him but certainly not behaving as he would have when Silvano had first given him to Abigail. She was contemplating stuffing him full of treats to buy back his affection when she heard the howl from the borders.

Heritage would have to wait, and so would Abigail’s trepidation. Peace had been restored, she reminded herself – and if not peace then some sort of order, at least. Once the other packs got wind of the Court’s new Reine she expected there would be more curious neighbours coming to seek an audience with Kalypso. Abigail tucked a bronze curl behind her ear and strode towards the source of the howl.

Today it wasn’t a neighbour who called for an audience with the Court. It was a loner, a wolf who might’ve been fairly nondescript without striking blue eyes set into his grey-dusted fur. He was armed, Abigail noted immediately, but the fact that she could immediately make note of that was better than meeting someone with a concealed weapon. His cards were on the table, so to speak, down to the raccoon who accompanied him. Abigail wondered what the Court's feline inhabitants would make of that.

The Archiduchessa’s head and tail were held high and despite wearing a cloak she didn’t hide her still-healing wounds, nor her bow and quiver. Anyone wishing to join the Court would need to know that they had suffered – and more importantly that they had overcome.

When Abigail spoke her voice was calm – cooler than it had once been – but steady.

“You’re on the borders of Cour des Miracles. How can we help you?”

[400+]
AbigailSadira

Let me light up the sky, light it up for you
Cour des Miracles
Archiduchessa
Rat
Luperci Mate to Kira
misuse of imagination

POSTED: Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:29 pm

OOC: Thank you!

IC: Tora was surprised by the appearance of a horse and rider but swallowed his shock quickly. While there weren't many horses in his homeland, he had encountered a few of them on his long trek. The lone wolf dropped his head to look the ground in a show of submission, noting the wounds decorating the pale she-wolf's slender body. Clearly there had been some violence recently.

To be honest, the fact that a member of Cour des Miracles, as Tora had learned it was called through discussion with other loners, had seen violence and made it out alive with her held high was reassuring. He didn't want to join a pack only to have everything ripped away from him all over again. He was relived to see that his (hopefully) new pack could fend for itself.

Runner looked at the chestnut horse with more interest than he did its rider. The inquisitive raccoon made to walk over, but Tora shifted a leg in his way. Runner opened his mouth to hiss in annoyance but fell silent when he saw the grey wolf's glare. Tora was not going to let his companion accidentally offend the pack by crossing into their territory before they were even accepted.

"I'm not from here." Tora said in competent English, albeit heavily accented. "I've traveled a long way on my own and I'm sick of being alone. I'm looking to join your pack, if you would have me." He made sure that to keep his ears pressed flat against his head and tail hung low. He knew firsthand the importance of submission to one's superiors. He only hoped that he hadn't made some slip while speaking that ruined his chances. He had practiced English the whole voyage across the Pacific and on his trek into Canada, but some words and phrases still eluded him.
Cour des Miracles
Roturier (NPC)
Smike
Luperci

POSTED: Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:13 am

OOC: Apologies for the slight delay!

IC:
Abigail appreciated the male’s move to prevent his companion from crossing the borders. She likely would have understood if he’d been unable to stop him – after all, she’d have had a job to stop Echo going wherever he wanted, and she didn’t know how obedient raccoons were – but the gesture was appreciated all the same. Abi didn’t think she had the patience, these days, to give chase to the creature if it had decided to go on a jaunt through the territory – and while she wouldn’t have wished harm on it she probably would’ve been powerless to stop her pack mates from doing whatever they saw fit with a wayward raccoon.

Her attention wasn’t on the raccoon for very long. It was important for Abigail to get a measure of this stranger who had approached the borders – more important now than ever, with bloodshed so recent in the Court’s past. Order had barely been restored for a week; the Archiduchessa would have no qualms about chasing off anyone who seemed to offer even the faintest sniff of trouble.

Luckily for both of them, the ashy male showed appropriate submission from the off. The flattening of his ears and lowering of his tail softened Abigail’s features a little; her own shoulders relaxed just a touch, though her ears remained pricked to take in what the male said.

His voice was accented with a twang she could not place, but he spoke in words the woman could easily understand. Abigail couldn’t claim to know what it was like to spend a long stretch of time on one’s own, but she had heard this tale before. It was neither a pro or a con to allowing the male into the Court. She could glean a couple of things from what the loner had said – he was direct enough that she didn’t think he’d stumbled here by accident – but she needed more information.

Her head tilted a fraction.

“Before I can allow you to join us I have to ask a few things,” Abigail explained as Heritage shifted his weight beneath her. She placed a hand on the stallion’s neck. “What’s your name? Mine is Abigail Sadira.” It was only fair to provide a name when one was being requested. “Where did you hear of the Court and what makes you interested in joining us?” There was genuine curiousity in the she-wolf’s tone – it was always interesting to hear what the murmurs beyond the Court’s borders were saying.

[400+]
AbigailSadira

Cour des Miracles
Archiduchessa
Rat
Luperci Mate to Kira
misuse of imagination

POSTED: Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:47 pm

OOC: No problem!

IC: "My name is Toraberā Tanaka, or Tora if you'd prefer." He nodded his head ever so slightly as he inscribed Abigail's name into his memory. The grey furred male gently nudged his stubborn raccoon companion with his leg. Runner finally acquiesced and stopped trying to inspect the stallion, curling up into a ball behind Tora.

Sure that Runner wasn't going to cause any trouble, Tora continued speaking. "I heard of your pack from the other loners and smaller animals in the area while I was wandering. I was told that Cour des Miracles is a group that values acceptance, independence and respect of one's elders, all of which are I traits I hold in high esteem."

Tora paused, not sure of how much more he should say. The various loners he had talked had all had mostly positive things to say about Cour des Miracles, but he was also told that it had a tendency to accept misfits. Tora didn't have a problem with outcasts as long as they were of good character. After all, he was in a state of forced solitude himself. He just didn't want to offend Abigail with honesty.

He decided to play it safe.

"I was also told that you have accepted... those rejected by others. the ashy wolf said, picking his words carefully. I respect those who take in others who have nowhere else to turn."

The scars on his arm twinged with pain as he spoke, a reminder of the pack he had lost. Keeping his head and tail directed at the ground, he rubbed his arm against his side. It was futile. The fifty self inflicted scars always served their purpose, never allowing Tora to forget his past.

He gave up, accepting the slight discomfort as he awaited judgement. A moment of panic flashed through his mind. Had he made a mistake mentioning the pasts of those in the pack? He washed the thought from his head. He had used only complimentary language, making sure to be as delicate as possible. And if he had misjudged the effect? So be it. He could cope with wandering again.
Cour des Miracles
Roturier (NPC)
Smike
Luperci

POSTED: Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:29 pm

Abigail listened with interest, her ears flicking every now and then, her sea green eyes focused. For all she had been through, the Archiduchessa had not lost her curiousity, nor her ability to take in what people were saying when it mattered. And in this instance it did matter what the male said; fresh from a conflict, the Court had to take more care than before not to allow those with ill intentions into their ranks.

Then again, Mistral hadn’t been part of the ranks when she’d come stomping in with her mercenaries.

The ways in which Abigail had changed probably weren’t noticeable to a stranger. Her easy smile was absent – aside from the odd twitch of her mouth she showed little emotion. The mention of accepting those that others might not elicited one of those twitches at the corners of her lips.

“Misfits?” she supplied, a faint smile touching her muzzle. The Court's nature of acceptance was one of the things about it which made her proud to lead. That nature had been tested over the years but with a new Reine in charge Abigail hoped to see the place thrive. “It’s been known to happen, that’s true. The Court has and will accept all sorts, including those who have been rejected elsewhere – as long as they don’t plan to cause us trouble.” Abigail lifted her hand from Heritage’s neck to scratch lightly around the wound on her shoulder as she considered her next words.

“But not having a place elsewhere isn’t the be all and end all. You’ll stand or fall in the Court based on how you conduct yourself and your skills.”
Her gaze rested for a few seconds on the hilts of the weapons the male carried and her hand moved to gesture towards them. “Are you good with those? Able to defend yourself?”

[318]
AbigailSadira

Cour des Miracles
Archiduchessa
Rat
Luperci Mate to Kira
misuse of imagination

POSTED: Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:32 pm

Welcome to Cour des Miracles!
MAINTENANCE WIKI RANKS TWITTER CONTACT

Welcome to the Court of Miracles, where the misfits come to play and the nobles rise above the rabble, united beneath the banner of their royal leadership.

As a new member, there are a few things you should check out before getting started! Make sure to check out our website for detailed information on the ranks, professions, and pack game. While you're at it, go ahead and claim a residence.

Need help getting started in on the plotting? Consider joining our pack chat to talk to current members for ideas! If you have questions or concerns, don't hesitate to contact us for help.

Cour des Miracles
OOC Account
Gen & Rat

POSTED: Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:02 am

Tora held back a relieved sigh, glad that he hadn't caused offense. Obviously, he hadn't been able to see Abigail's face while he was staring at the ground, but he could hear a faint trace of amusement in her words. The grey wolf did note the rider's words of caution. It would be foolish for the pack to just allow anyone to rise through the ranks.

"I understand you fully, ma'am." he answered.

He paused for a moment, somewhat surprised by her question. His thoughts flashed back to the day after his first change, his father leading him through the basics of sword fighting. He could almost feel the bruises from the wooden sword his father had used to show him every hole in his defense. The training had paid off and less than a year later he had slain his first combatant in honorable combat. If he had to guess, he'd estimate that he got into a fight every few days after that.

Combat remained a constant part of his life even after he had fled his home. He remembered being threatened in a language he barely understood by a large coyote the second day after he had landed. It took only seconds for Tora to show the robber why he was a poor target. A flick of his wrist had left the coyote dead on the ground.

"I've been in more than my fair share of fights, and so far I've lived through all of them. That makes me better than many others."Tora said without a hint of pride. He didn't enjoy taking lives, but he had no qualms with defending himself. "I also consider myself a good herbalist. I've made a point of learning about the plants in each territory I've visited and their uses."

One of the benefits of talking to those he encountered was finding that many of them were willing to share their knowledge, whether it was in exchange for food, arrows, a small carving or even just company. Without access to any sort of ink, he had carefully written the information of nearly every herb and weed between the Pacific coast and the Atlantic in his tattered journal with charcoal.

"I'm a decent woodcarver as well."he added as an afterthought.
Cour des Miracles
Roturier (NPC)
Smike
Luperci

Dead Topics