Achieve at times a very star-like start

[p. Reblin]

POSTED: Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:34 pm

Jaws snapped shut around the puppies’ quavering yowls when the piebald wolfdog padded toward them, plopping down and resting a hand on his bulging white stomach. Skoll grinned at the young man, laughing – not without sympathy – at his languishing groan. It was always tempting for a wolf to gorge as their ancestors had.

“Been there, man. Careful sitting down – you aren’t gonna wanna get back up again.” He reached out to give Reblin’s shoulder a good-natured shake while the pups clambered out of his lap.

The bolder child, Oberyn toddled over to Rebel and sniffed and licked at his hands, tasting the residue of his meal. His eyes, changing from their hazy puppy blue to a familiar green, stared up at the hybrid’s face curiously. Behind him, Issola crawled out of Skoll’s lap and came up to the man’s side to smell him. She growl-babbled something.

“You sure are right, Issy,” Skoll said. “Even though I have no idea what you just said.” He laughed while she proceeded to sniff around with purpose, and Oberyn tried to gnaw on Reblin’s fingers. “These are Oberyn and Issola,” he introduced, pointing at them and giving Oby’s rump a gentle swat when the chewing grew too insistent. “Mouths to ourselves. They haven’t been out much.”

Deterred from devouring his new friend’s hands, Oberyn looked away: then caught a glint of light in the dark, like a mote from the fire given life. Issola saw it, too, and dropped into a crouch, rump wiggling. Both gave chase, stumbling over their feet, while Skoll watched.

The firefly spiraled around them, seemingly blinking in and out of existence. Skoll smiled.

“How you been, pal?” the Senechal asked Reblin. “I know we don’t talk much.”
Cour des Miracles
Sénéchal
Raze
'Souls Assemblage Luperci Brawler & Venatores heliophagy
devour the sun
tarnished prince

POSTED: Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:06 am

Reblin laughed with Skoll's warning and good-natured touch, looking at him with self-pity in his pale eyes. "Great," he moaned. "I think I'm doomed." He thought about lowering his upperbody to the ground and laying, sprawled, out on his back but then the youngsters clambered off of their father's lap and started toward him and he thought better of it. His visions of puppies bouncing on his distended abdomen did not have a pleasant ending.

He let Oberyn lick at his fingers, glancing from the Prince to the darker child as she approached. Her frowned with amusement at her babbling and laughed with Skoll's response. His laughter was cut short, however, when the hooded child decided to give his fingers a taste. "Ouch! Gods, your teeth are sharp!" he yelped, drawing his hand away from Oberyn. He regarded his abused fingers only long enough to ensure there was no blood, and then offered his tail a reassuring wag.

"Is this their first time meeting everyone like this?" he asked of Skoll, watching cheerfully as the pair began snapping at fireflies. Something in him kind of wanted to shift down and join them, but the discomfort in his belly told him that that would be a decidedly bad idea. So he sat with with their father and talked. "Yeah, well... I mean, you've been busy keeping your fingers and toes intact, right?" he laughed, watching the puppies. "I've been good. Helping with the new village and stuff mostly, ya know?"

He shifted his eyes away from the children and back at Skoll again. "What about you?"

OOC: ugh sorry for late reply! ;_;

[WC — 260]

Cour des Miracles
Viceroi
Mandi
Luperci

POSTED: Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:10 pm

Though he seemed hardly deterred by Skoll's gentle swat, the yelp that escaped Reblin's jaws made Oberyn shrink back and lick his lips apologetically. They were good kids, and from playing with their parents and each other knew better than to bite hard on purpose. God knew Galilee was even mouthier as a child, sometimes drawing blood when she got focused and angry about something. Skoll counted his blessings.

Yeah. Dreyma has been iffy about letting them out and about. I don't think she trusts me with them sometimes. Skoll blew his hair out of his face and rolled his eye. For all her insistence that the brats were his to deal with, not hers, she watched them like a hawk.

He chuckled at Reblin's remark and nodded. Stretching, he kept his attention half on the children as he answered. Mostly what you said. Hunting for the kids, patrolling like I oughta – sparring to keep myself and Lee in shape when I have time. He would not compromise his time with his eldest daughter if he could help it. She had warmed up to the puppies wonderfully, eager to be big sister, but she knew that their relationship was fragile with the loss they'd suffered. Thankfully, she didn't need him to drop in all the time; she had her own interests now.

You wanna be a laborer? Skoll asked, then scratched his head. Shit, well, whatever it's called now. Kalypso changed the tiers, didn't she. He shrugged. A diplomat was a diplomat, a soldier a soldier, whatever they were called. He had never cared much for all the formalities, anyway, other than boasting of his own title.

Oberyn jumped and snapped his jaws around a lightning bug, and Skoll woofed. Don't eat that, you'll get sick! he said, and jumped up – but Oberyn squealed, grinning with bug-gut-smeared teeth, and ran away from him. Issola crouched in the grass, her tail waving, and sprang out soon after – nearly tripping Skoll.

Cour des Miracles
Sénéchal
Raze
devour the sun
tarnished prince

POSTED: Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:09 pm

When the umber-capped child shrunk back and offered an apology, Reblin, relieved at the lack of blood, wagged his tail and reached out to ruffle Oberyn's crown in an attempt to assure the youth that it was okay. The piebald wolfdog had, admittedly, been around very few puppies, but he understood that chewing and nibbling were normal parts of puppyhood and that the youngster certainly hadn't meant any harm.

"Really?" he questioned with a gentle tilting of his head. The smile that sat on his lips was one of amusement. "I mean, does she have a good reason not to?" he asked, curiosity cloaked within a teasing tone. Looking away from Skoll, Reblin gave the party a quick scan. "Didn't Dreyma come with?" Now that he had mentioned her, the wolfdog didn't remember seeing Dreyma. But then, he had been wildly distracted by Mottle's attempts at entertainment and the delicious spread of juicy venison.

Reblin turned his eyes on the puppies as well. "Oh, Skoll!" he barked with excitement. "Do you like wrestling? We should wrestle some time!" Most of the time, and not by his design, he seemed to interact and spar with the women of the Court. In fact, aside from Aithne and Harrison, Reblin had very few male friends (and, if he was being honest with himself, those two probably considered him more of an annoyance than a friend). "What d'ya think?"

Reblin was about to reply to Skoll's question when little Oberyn snapped up a lightning bug and, after grinning defiance, dashed away from his father. The wolfdog couldn't help but hoot with laughter, watching the antics of the children and their father. Once things settled down again, he returned back to the topic of jobs. "Yeah, I think so. I kinda wanna learn how to be a mason, like Harrison is." After a pause, he added, "But I mean, without the wood. Like, just working with stones and rocks and clay and stuff."

As a lightning bug flashed near his head, Reblin snapped at it, forgetting that the pups' father had just gotten on Oberyn for doing the same.

[WC — 363]

Cour des Miracles
Viceroi
Mandi
Luperci

POSTED: Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:24 pm

Reblin's tone was teasing, and casual was Skoll's grin – but the truth was, yeah, Dreyma probably had good reason to distrust him with the kids. He scoffed at the thought, however. I raised Galilee to adulthood, she can't say anything bad about how she turned out. Even if he had probably scarred her for life once or twice. Their relationship was under repair, however, and despite her mother's disappearance, she turned out well. Lee's more well-adjusted than I am, at least.

He shrugged when Reblin asked about Dreyma. I think she's uh, over there. He gestured toward the tables laden with food and drink, only to squint and see what the Queen had accosted the dark woman. He frowned, wondering if he should go rescue Dreyma from the apparently drunken and handsy Kalypso, then decided against it; Drey wouldn't appreciate any insinuation that she was a damsel in distress. She'd made that abundantly clear a few times.

The wolfdog's curled tail beat at the grass, his mouth baring yellow teeth in a mischievous grin when Reblin mentioned wrestling. Man, I love a good wrestle. While he enjoyed sparring for training's sake, he also liked to relieve stress by just casually tussling with his packmates. He and Lee often worked out their energy that way when their tempers grew hot, and it usually ended with one or the other pinned and laughing.

Right now he was focused on wrestling Oberyn's jaws open. He'd managed to scoop the boy up in one arm, fighting to pry apart his teeth and scoop out the bug guts. Oberyn was growling and thrashing, but he spat a few times and Skoll sat back down, holding him on his lap. Issola watched with narrowed, amused eyes.

Skoll sighed and stretched his legs back out. Yeah, I see what you mean. Sturdier 'n wood most of the time. I don't know how you go about cutting rock, though.

Oberyn whined and squirmed around in his father's hands. Finally, the man relented. You can chase them but don't eat them, he warned, then caught a glimpse of Reblin snapping at one of the insects. Without really thinking, he reached up to lightly swat the back of the young man's head, his frown reproachful.

Finding this hilarious, the puppies snickered and went back to chasing the flashes.

Cour des Miracles
Sénéchal
Raze
devour the sun
tarnished prince

Cour des Miracles