You don't know me at all

ft. Risa, just outside CdM's borders

POSTED: Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:39 pm

Backdated to shortly after the CdM masquerade.

One late morning, on a cloudless, blindingly bright day, Ceridwen was on her way out, headed into the nearby forest to scavenge for various goods and carcasses that could be useful back home. Treading carefully along the dirty, icy path of roughly packed snow, she squinted past the rolling fields. The sparkling snow was nearly blinding where it remained virginal and unobstructed by little animal footprints or other unsightly blemishes. She was feeling especially fresh, having several days to recover from the whirlwind of a ball that had been organized by Kalypso and hosted by the entire pack. With life settling back to normal, she seemed happy enough to settle back into her regular routine.

This outing was as inconsequential as any other; she planned to visit a couple caches to ensure that they had not been broken into, stock up a couple other ones that she had previously dipped into, and of course, keep her eyes peeled for anything out of the ordinary. A vultured carcass could still provide meat and bones, especially if it was well refrigerated in the snow. Feeling rather optimistic, she readjusted her bone mask on her face, and ensured that her fur lined cloak was well secured, before carrying on at a leisurely pace.

It was business as usual, until a strange rustling caught her attention. Her ears swiveled beneath the hood she wore, and she instinctively looked upwards, squinting at the sky, her hand over her eyes to shield them from the sun. Above, a spread of uninterrupted blue indicated that nothing unusual was going on above. Her rook companions were nowhere in sight. "Strange," She muttered to herself, glancing behind her hesitantly. Perhaps it had just been melting snow falling from the trees.
Cour des Miracles
Madame
Ray
Luperci Scout

POSTED: Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:31 pm

Hold me closer
Tony Danza

Despite Honrin's insistence, Risa knew what he saw. The drug tempered image remained distorted in his hollow head, lingering well after the crushing hangover abated in the mornings that followed the decadent festivities. His memory was a jumbled maelstrom, flashes and fragments of wandering in the snow -- of being carried back home over the shoulders of his father and Isaac -- churned in the darkness.

He remembered the terror, so visceral and raw, that struck the deepest reaches of his stomach. And, he remembered Fives.

In the days that followed, Risa grieved in spite of his father's reassurances. It's just the drugs, boy. She's fine, Honrin would tell him, often chuckling to himself. But they were lies to make him feel better, Risa thought. He was deeply offended that his old man didn't take his boy's drug addled observations seriously.

They would have buried her by now. Risa stole north to pay his respects; to ask to see the grave and pay his respects. He had hoped to gather a bouquet of flowers to leave behind, but seeing as winter's grip did not yet falter, he amassed only a bundle of sticks and twigs from the nearby wood. A pitiful thing.

As he approached the foreign borders of the Court, Risa thought he saw a ghost. She was cloaked in furs, mostly obscured, but in the clear light of day, he saw her familiar bone mask. "Fives!?" Risa exclaimed before bounding toward her and throwing his arms around the woman in tight, warm bear hug with bundle of sticks splayed across her back. She was solid to the touch, not a ghost at all. "You're alive!" Not once did it register for Risa that his behavior was out of the ordinary.

OHBOYOHBOY.
Risa Rivera
~ Reaching in a little deeper ~
Casa di Cavalieri
First Cadet
Ryan
Luperci

POSTED: Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:13 pm

Out of nowhere, she was tackled, something wrapping around her tightly to prevent her escape. Naturally, her instinct was to try and escape. She writhed about, in an utter panic about what creature had suddenly ensnared her. It war warm at her front, with thin, reed like claws against her back, and smelled vaguely of something familiar, yet not immediately identifiable. Only when the beast cried out did she realize what had caught her. She couldn't see who it was, for her bone mask had been knocked askew, but the declaration of 'Fives' was all she needed to identify the suspect.

In fact, it only encouraged her to fight harder against the grasp, desperate to put a significant of space between herself and the yearling. "Risa, get off of me!" She attempted to bellow, but her cloak had somehow become bunched up against her snout. As a cat might desperately try to wriggle out of a toddler's grasp, so Ceridwen made the vain effort of escaping the Cavalier. A stick stabbed her between the shoulder blades, and with a furious yelp, her struggles were renewed with invigorated effort. "Of course I'm alive!" She could not begin to understand what this delinquent child was going on about. Where were his parents? Why was he always out alone, so far from home?

Some yowling and snarling later, she was able to untangle herself from the boy, mask in hand, cloak barely hanging on over her bristled fur. She panted heavily, glaring daggers at Risa, oblivious to his gesture of good will. "What the hell is your problem?" Though she tried to sort herself out, she was so frazzled that she wasn't sure where to begin. It made her even more furious that she had to look up to him, as if the physical difference in height somehow undermined her seniority. Drawing in a deep breath, she prepared to berate him about proper greetings, not stepping on her lawn, how she had to walk both ways up a hill, through snow, and a raging river just to see her friends, and other such things cranky geriatrics might talk about. Risa always did seem to bring out the ornery grandmother in her.
Cour des Miracles
Madame
Ray
Luperci Scout

POSTED: Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:32 pm

Hold me closer
Tony Danza

Risa held tight, even as she writhed away from his grasp, for he was far too happy to see the woman to let her go. She hadn't been eaten by the scary writhing monster! She was alive! Perhaps, Risa though, he should have put more stock into his father's advice -- yet, that didn't stop his recollection of the events after the party from feeling all too real. He wondered what he truly saw. Or, was it some drug induced vision akin to a fever dream as he seized in the snow?

She growled and Risa sheepishly pulled away, obviously flustered with ears falling flat against the back of his head. "I -- uh," he stammered, unable to articulate or even begin to explain the things he'd seen. "Uh -- After the party!" Risa gesticulated wildly with his free hand, as if he could pluck the words to explain out of thin air.

"I -- I followed this scent into that weird building with all the peely paper on the walls," he explained. It had been a siren's song, luring him inside while he didn't quite know why. Even the thought caused something to stir within Risa. "-- And, you were there! And there was a monster -- and uh, I thought it got you."

Obviously, she must have killed the writhing beast of bodies.

"Oh! These are for you!" Risa offered his bouquet of sticks proudly.

OHBOYOHBOY.
Risa Rivera
Casa di Cavalieri
First Cadet
Ryan
Luperci

POSTED: Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:37 am

The impending lecture was swiftly knocked out of her as soon as she noticed the boy's ears had fallen, and at once, Ceridwen felt the anger dissipate. She huffed audibly, shoulders sagging as the tension left her body. It was clear that something had troubled Risa a great deal. Touched by the sentiment, she listened intently, trying to understand where the youth was coming from. Unfortunately, it all sounded like gibberish to her. Her mouth fell open slightly with the effort of trying to imbue meaning into his words. "What?" It was like he was speaking another language. Now and then, she would attempt to interject with a soft hum of sympathy, or gentle ohs and ahs, but she had all but stopped listening altogether, as her mind reeled. Try as she might, she had no idea what the kid was talking about.

Questioning his sanity, as well as hers for entertaining him, she took another forceful step back as Risa shoved his hand picked bundle of sticks at her. Ceridwen lifted her hand protectively as an instinctive reaction to someone who would have meant her harm. Feeling foolish for flinching, she chuckled sheepishly, and gingerly took the gift after a moment of hesitation. "Thanks Risa, these are really lovely." Despite not understanding the logic behind a gift of fairly nondescript sticks, she took a moment to look them over. It was then that she had noticed that there likely had been some thought put into their gathering. Each thin branch was approximately the same length, gathered from an assortment of different trees. With a small smile, Ceridwen realized that she had been gifted a bouquet of sticks, as Risa had been unable to find any flowers in the middle of winter.

"You are very kind." She thanked him, voice trailing off slowly as she cradled the bundle. As it slowly dawned upon her that Risa was referring to the night of the masquerade, she had to keep her smile from shifting into a smirk. He had somehow managed to find his way into the hotel towards the end of the party, and his poor, addled brain had not been able to cope with the horrors of what he had seen. 'Spirits,' Ceridwen thought, shaking her head. He really was just a pup. "Well I'm safe now." She reassured gently, looking down at the sticks with renewed fondness.

"Thank you for checking in on me." This time, her gratitude was heartfelt. Stepping in, she wrapped her free arm around Risa, briefly pulling him into a one-armed hug that she could easily escape from, and lifted her muzzle to ghost a kiss over his cheek. "Now get out of here before Chaska comes by and makes an example of you in front of the trainees." She warned, giving him a little push to start him on his way.
Cour des Miracles
Madame
Ray
Luperci Scout

POSTED: Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:11 pm

Hold me closer
Tony Danza

As Ceridwen took hold of Risa's gift, the young man beamed with joy. "They're, uh -- They're supposed to be flowers," he explained, though it seemed Ceridwen understood his gesture without needing an explanation. However, despite being a kind and simple gesture, Risa was unable to do even this right. "But uh -- I couldn't find any flowers. I mean, if you squint really hard enough and pretend they're there, you can almost see 'em though!"

That had to count for something. The thought always counted for something. He held on to this childish whimsy even into adulthood.

She liked them. Describing the sticks as lovely, she held his gift close. Risa was practically walking on air before she pulled him into a loose, half-hug, but then Risa was nothing short of ecstatic. He hugged her back, less forcefully than before but with the same strange fondness. "I'm glad, he murmured. "I was really worried." Still, the thought gave him tremors, yet there was no reason to fear. Not anymore.

And then, after a brief moment of bliss, she pushed him away. Risa staggered back and sheepishly cast his gaze low toward his feet. "Oh." She wanted him to go. Dejected, he ran a hand through messy brown hair. "I guess I, uh -- maybe I should go," he spoke, awkwardly peddling back.

He lingered for an awkward beat before asking, "-- I'll see you again, right?"

OOC drivel goes here.
Risa Rivera
Casa di Cavalieri
First Cadet
Ryan
Luperci

POSTED: Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:49 pm

Ceridwen gazed thoughtfully at the bundle of sticks, slowly tuning Risa out as he prattled on about something irrelevant or obvious or whatever it was. She had genuinely stopped paying attention, and most of her focus had gone into coming up with ideas for how to use the gift. Now and then she added a little hum of acknowledgement, just to be sure that the youth was still entertained. However, one of those little uh huhs was poorly timed, and she cringed inwardly; even Ceridwen was able to tell that it was incredibly inappropriate to dismiss the boy's concern for her safety.

Chuckling nervously, she reached out to pat the boy gingerly on the shoulder, in a there, there manner. "Well... I'm fine now! Nothing at all to worry about anymore!" The amount of false cheerfulness that she imbued into her tone was rather alarming. She was not good at being kind or affectionate. Such sentiments were attached to a muscle that was rarely worked out; her obvious weakness. Worse still, she often had difficulty figuring out what was and was not appropriate, though she did not usually mean to directly cause offense.

Watching Risa step back sheepishly, she stared at him, deadpan, as he awkwardly announced that he should probably go. Ceridwen nodded slowly, wondering what the hold up was. Teenage drama was lost on her, as were most social nuances. When asked if he would ever see her again, the Courtier could only squint at him in suspicion, wondering if this was some kind of test. The chances of them encountering one another were highly probable. In fact, Ceridwen assumed that they would, inevitably, cross paths again, whether intentionally or coincidentally. Deciding that Risa was just playing, she rolled her eyes to indicate the answer was obvious, and promptly turned away to resume her business.
Cour des Miracles
Madame
Ray
Luperci Scout

Dead Topics