You can run, but you can't hide

For Teagan

POSTED: Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:53 pm

Not the snow not the rain can change my mind
The sun will come out, wait and see

OOC: For the hunting co-rank. Let me know if there is anything you want me to change. +300 words.

Ok, it was about time she had gotten her butt in gear. Nora had spent a lot of her time exploring new things, new places, and now it was time that she did something to provide for Casa. She had taken up arms with a bow and arrows, and even when she was sneaking away from Arlen, she had been taking some time to spend with him and practicing with her weapon of choice. She wanted to use this to help out with some hunting, and in the winter time, that was going to be much easier said than done. She had been lucky on one hunt she had gone on with her brother, but she knew a lot more practice was needed.

Then again, hunting during this time of the year was going to be a good test of what she did know. To hunt, she was going to have to track her prey. One thing that was good about the snow was it was easier to track any footprints she might come across in the snow, but their scents would become muddled by the water in the snow. Besides, some prey was going to be harder to find than others, able to hide under the white of the snow or use their winter pelts to their advantage.

Even so, she had to start somewhere.

The tan girl carrying the bow around her chest, padding through the woods as her eyes moved around the area as she looked for clues. It may take a while, she was aware of that, but she wanted to find some kind of trail she could follow. No tracks so far besides other luperci paws from members passing by this way. Even so, she was careful to check each one, seeing if any prey had stepped over these prints. She knelt down by a group of of tracks, picking out each one and scanning for what she searched for.

Nora Knight

Casa di Cavalieri
First Cadet
Salena
Luperci

POSTED: Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:06 pm

CdC – Hunter Co-Rank wrote:“3. Track prey as it moves through Casa territory.”

Lupus (+487)

Co-rank challenge help!

Her breath billowed warmly across the chilly, microscopic crystals that marked the winter season. The subtle indents in the snow hinted at footprints that had been covered up with recent snowfall. Faint as the scent had become though, the wolfdog’s nose could still pick it out. Teagan’s nostrils flared as she took in another deep sniff. Deer had come and gone out of the vicinity, no doubt making their rounds across the territory in search of food in this leaner time. It was something that required little concern, and, so, the warrior princess picked up her head and moved on.

She wasn’t searching for food, so she cared little beyond knowing that it had only been a small herd of deer that had moved through the area recently.

Things had quieted down with the start of the season, something welcomed after the busy weeks that had followed the fall of summer. There weren’t any hostiles to chase off, nothing left to harvest, and no meetings of diplomacy to attend to. The distractions had been a godsend to get the War Lord through the anniversary of her mother’s death, but, Teagan had been glad to settle back into her old routines of everyday life once winter had finally hit the region.

That day, Teagan’s focus had been to simply patrol the territory for anything amiss. Thankfully, she had found nothing of concern or interest. At least, not until she came across the familiar scent of her youngest sister. The youngest Knight’s focus and drive in life were unlike her siblings’. She had been the only one of them to fail her First Blood, though, perhaps her mentor being her own brother—and Arlen at that—had been an err on their father’s part. Nora’s head was full of adventure and the unknown, and Arlen had done little to hone or control those thoughts, it had seemed.

Though Teagan didn’t think upon the circumstance very favorably, at the very least, it didn’t seem like Nora was overly concerned about the results. It was food for thought if, like Mako had said, Teagan was too focused on the training and fighting aspect of it all rather than how her sister had simply been enjoying her young life. She had chalked it up to a difference of opinion.

Altering her course, Teagan followed after the scent and footprints left by the Second Cadet, eventually finding her crouched over a set of varying tracks belonging to another of the forest. The War Lord padded up behind her younger sister quietly, canary eyes taking note of the bow that she had on her person. “What are you hunting, Nora?” She asked presumably. What other reason would there be for Nora to be looking at tracks so intently and armed with her bow?

Her cold gaze shifted to look at the tracks too.

Teagan Stryder

Casa di Cavalieri
War Lord
Songbird
The Brotherhood: Master of Bladed Weapons
You shoot me down
but I won't fall
I am titanium

POSTED: Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:34 pm

OOC: +300 words.

Winter, as Nora had discovered, was annoying when it came to hunting. Not only could the snow drown out some of the scents in the air, but the tracks were harder to read. Suppose in a way, this would be a better challenge for the young hunter to try and figure out what prints in the snow belongs to animal or other luperci. With deeper snow, a lot of the tracks were lost with loose snow falling in on top of them or just circular prints in the snow from where they were moving.

A soft sigh escaped from her lips as she turned her head around. If anything, maybe taking a look at her own footprints would help her to pick them out.

Instead, she caught sight of her oldest sister padding up towards her. A smile moved along her face, tail wagging behind her. She knew there were some of her siblings that frowned upon her because of her failure to pass her first blood... and for taking a much more relaxed approach to life... but that didn't mean she didn't care about her home or her family. She wanted to do more for them, and maybe as she made her own advancement, her priorities would shift.

For now, there was all the time in the world for her to experience life to the fullest. Why tie herself down with a boring routine like so many in Casa chose to do?

Turning her head back to the tracks, she gave Teagan her best answer, having gotten a close look at her own trail through the snow, "Well, these ones here look like it might have been made by something smaller. The circles in the snow are smaller too. I was thinking about following these ones though." Her hand moved up to point to some pointed ones, "These ones here look like they were done by some deer. See? The circles are a little more narrow and have those small points."

Nora Knight

Casa di Cavalieri
First Cadet
Salena
Luperci

POSTED: Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:56 pm

(+238)

Sorry for being slow @__@ My muse for writing has been largely absent for this month. Feel free to PP them starting the hunting/tracking part! Teagan will be mostly trying to assess Nora’s abilities.

She nodded in agreement to her sister’s assessment. Without giving the tracks a, truly, scrutinizing onceover, Teagan couldn’t tell what had created the smaller set of tracks. There were few things that made tracks so small, and, with the deeper pockets of snow, sometimes the white powder only made of mess of things as critters attempted to traverse it. At the very least, she knew it something that was higher off the ground than, say, a rabbit or some sort of mustelid. Such creatures would have left more obvious signs in their wake, because of things like their gait and unique footprints.

Her eyes passed onto the second set of tracks, which appeared larger, though, were not “huge” by any stretch of the imagination. The Stryder took a step towards the larger set, inhaling deeply, confirming the faint scent of a deer that had passed through the area some time ago. “If you looked down into the holes in the snow too, you can see the distinct separation of their hooves too in some of these footprints,” Teagan pointed out, confirming and approving of Nora’s assessment.

Teagan turned her head to look at her sibling. “Would you care for company?” They had never really been close, and, curious as the warrior princess was to see her sister’s skills, she wasn’t about to force Nora’s cooperation if she wanted to do this herself.

Teagan Stryder

Casa di Cavalieri
War Lord
Songbird
You shoot me down
but I won't fall
I am titanium

POSTED: Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:31 pm

It would take some more time before Nora would be able to effectively track the different kinds of prey, needing to get used to their prints as well as the general area where they all seemed to move. Much of the smaller prey would even be able to hide themselves away under the snow, so it would be better to get some practice with them once the snow cleared away from the land.

Green eyes followed her sister's attention as it turned to the tracks that had been pointed out. From the top view, it was a bit hard to tell, but then peering inside of the holes showed a clearer picture of what was there. Leaning in closer, she could get a better scent of the prey that passed. It was a bit of a old scent, but at least it would give her something to follow. She offered a nod to the War Lord's words, smile forming on her face.

The tan girl beamed with excitement as Teagan asked if she could come along, "Of course you can. It would really help me out too to have someone to point out things for me. I'm still learning." And who better to help her than one of her older sisters?

Nora returned to the tracks, taking the scent in once more before giving a more in depth smell of the area. He head moved up in one direction, "There were here, but it looks like they moved that way. That's where the scent and the footprints are going. I bet if we follow it, we'll find the deer or another set of tracks." The snow could easily make them all disappear, so better to track the animal down before that happened.

Nora took the lead, following the trail that clung to her nose. She had paused every so often, making sure that her sister was coming up behind her. She did tend to go a bit ahead when she was the one taking the lead.

Nora Knight

Casa di Cavalieri
First Cadet
Salena
Luperci

POSTED: Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:09 am

(+312)

Sorry for the delay! I forgot that this was a co-rank thread @___@ Feel free to keep moving them along!

Nora eagerly agreed to allowing her older sibling to join her on her hunt, and accepted the approval with a simple nod. It was times like these that she wished her littermate, Indi, had stayed in the pack instead of where their father had stationed her in Portland. Her koi-colored sibling would have been much more ecstatic, eager, and engaging with her siblings than Teagan was. The warmer interaction might have done better for their youngest siblings’ development than Teagan’s stoic and rather distant approach.

Teagan tried with what she could offer though.

“Very good,” she commented to Nora’s assessment. It was a solid conclusion, and with sound judgement from what they had been given thus far to work with. It seemed that Teagan would be able to witness her sister’s hunting process from start to finish. So, wanting to see Nora’s skills, the War Lord let her sister take the lead without question.

She padded along behind her golden-furred sibling, her head low as she sniffed at the snow and passing, dead foliage, occasionally lifting to observe the passing scenery for signs of a quicker meal or their quarry that they were tracking. Nora would lead a little bit and would stop to check on Teagan, lead, and then stop. “Don’t worry about me, Nora,” Teagan chuckled, amused by her antics whether the young Cavalier realized what she was doing or not, “I won’t linger far.”

They went a little ways more before Teagan’s eyes fell upon her sister’s bow, and she decided to question, “Have you used your bow in a successful hunt yet?” The sight of the weapon reminded her of their mother. She had been a skilled archer when she had been alive. Teagan quietly wondered if Lyris’ abilities had somehow been passed down into her youngest daughter.

Teagan Stryder

Casa di Cavalieri
War Lord
Songbird
You shoot me down
but I won't fall
I am titanium

POSTED: Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:07 pm

Nora was fully aware of the actions she was doing, though she could not help herself when it came to making sure that her older sister was following along behind her. It was the fact that Teagan had caught on to what she was doing that made her stop entirely. She couldn't help but feel a bit embarrassed at the fact that this quirk was popping back up again. She gave a small laugh as one hand moved along the back of her head, "Sorry. I can't help it. Cedric noticed me doing it too when we went climbing one day. It's just a habit. Dad says I've been doing it since I was younger since I always went ahead of him and Cedric."

Even so, she moved her hand back down, "I'll do better at it Teagan."

They continued on their walk, the tan girl stopping for just a moment to take in the scent of the area. It was growing stronger, meaning they were coming to a place where the prey had passed more recently. This filled her with excitement. Even so, she kept calm, figuring out where they had moved now. They were moving in a bit of a different direction, "This way."

Ears turned to the sound of her sister's question. Nora couldn't help but bring her hand up to the bow she had with her, giving a soft sigh, "Yeah, I've been able to catch a couple of things. Smaller prey mostly. I'm more inclined to believe I just got lucky though. I've been practicing more in my spare time though, so hopefully this one will go better than some of my other attempts."

She continued ahead, the scent growing stronger and stronger. When it seemed to reach a peak, the tan girl moved much more slowly, quieter in the snow. She paused more often to observe, keeping herself hidden from the immediate view. Soon, the deer came into sight. There were a couple of them. She moved her hand out, gesturing for her sister to come closer before whispering, "There they are."

Nora Knight

Casa di Cavalieri
First Cadet
Salena
Luperci

POSTED: Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:47 pm

(+469)

Upon being called out on her actions, Nora looked to have been embarrassed, and the younger Cavalier offered an apology. Teagan remained silent, neither reassuring her sister or correcting her. Teagan, too, often strode out front, though, being aware of one’s relationship to their companion’s was important. To venture too far could invite trouble in the neutral lands. If Nora kept having to check up on her companions’ location as frequently as she had been though, the girl was opening herself up for distraction, one that an enemy Luperci could take advantage of.

The act was not harmful there in the packlands, and Teagan hardly went out with her youngest sister enough to know if her mannerisms were any different outside of them. It would have been poor on her part to lecture Nora if the girl was already well aware of her actions as she seemed to be.

They moved on, and Teagan sniffed here and there, ensuring that Nora had not mistakenly led them astray. She seemed to have been right on course though, if the steadily-stronger scents of the deer were anything to judge by. The sisters veered from their path when their quarry changed its heading. It seemed like it would not be long before they found the maker of the tracks and owner of the scent they had been following after.

Teagan’s mismatched ears flickered at Nora’s sigh and eventual admission. “You’ll get better with time if you truly desire to choose the bow,” the Stryder assured, “Your milkmother, Jace, and our cousin, Aldora, are practiced, as is Officer Hushhowl.” Perhaps they could help give her sister pointers if she asked it of them. Teagan thought to mention their mother to Nora, but, the thought caught on her tongue, and the War Lord swallowed it. After all, what good would it do to tell Nora that their deceased mother had been a skilled archer?

Onward, they went until the scents finally grew so strong that there was no doubt that their prey was near. The War Lord dropped into a stalk in stride with her sister’s quiet and careful steps. Eventually, they were able to locate the deer, a small herd of four out foraging in the snow. When beckoned nearer, Teagan did so so that they could converse without alerting their prey that they were being hunted.

The warrior princess’ eyes shifted to Nora’s bow. “Are you confident with your aim to not shoot me?” Earlier, the Knight had expressed doubt in her abilities. Teagan wanted to know if that doubt still lingered. Her cold gaze shifted to the deer. “If you are sure, pick one—” She jerked her snout to the herd. “—and I will make sure that it does not leave the area.”

Teagan Stryder

Casa di Cavalieri
War Lord
Songbird
You shoot me down
but I won't fall
I am titanium

Casa di Cavalieri