I'm a princess cut from marble

POSTED: Thu May 26, 2016 2:57 pm

smoother than a storm

Lyris was very, very bad at following orders given by medics. Without fail, every injury she had ever had patched by a healer had come with the label: just take it easy. The hell she was. She was not dull to the anatomy of wounds, and was not stupid enough to blatantly rip bandages or slings from her injuries. Should she ever have her body permanently crippled would be the day she died; living without movement was living in a hell. So no, Lyris was aware that sometimes rest and healing was necessary. But the loner had only given her a flesh-wound, and it would not cause any more damage should she desire to move or run as she did on any other given day, only with her side wrapped with bandaging and a slight ache more. And after such adrenaline had flooded her the days previous, there was little chance of her relaxing. When Lyris Stryder entered into a fight, the thrill and burst lingered for days, albeit fading. So after she had gone to see Veri to have her bandages re-wrapped, she did not return home as she was instructed to. It was noon-high, and there was no way she was going to be able to sleep with the sun so bright. So she set out on a mission.

Lyris had left her usual dagger and arm-band back home, and considered retrieving it for her task but thought better of it. As an Artiglio, it only made sense she first teach her children the most essential forms of self-defense. Being caught without a weapon and no knowledge of how to use your fists was a death-sentence if she'd ever heard one. It wasn't difficult for her to catch her daughter's track and then follow. Lyris yearned only to shift down into Lupus and run, as it had been days, but doing such would have unknown effects on the gashes that colored her side, so she resisted, instead quickly and effectively cutting her way through the territory. Teagan's tracks lead into the forest, which Lyris quietly maneuvered until finding the familiar soot-colored back of the Lotta that so reminded her of Luca. "Next lesson is how to conceal your tracks." Lyris greeted her daughter, the humor she would have usually injected into the comment vague and nearly nonexistent.

((300+)) Midday, around the 20th? Sugarwoods.

Lyris Stryder
Casa di Cavalieri
DEAD
Ann
Luperci Mate to Luca Stable Master The Brotherhood: Master of Tooth and Claw 2013, 2015 SoSuWriMo Champ! Stryder
princess cut from marble
smoother than a storm
these scars that mark my body?
SILVER & GOLD

POSTED: Thu May 26, 2016 11:49 pm

TEAGAN STRYDER
I can slay my own dragons, my knight in shining armor is me.
[ 746 ]
Thanks for starting! Watch out, angry teenager ahead!

Note for me: training thread

The previous days’ events had put the young Stryder in a horrible mood. Her sister, her precious sister, had been attacked at the pack’s borders! And from the broken bits and pieces of the story she had heard, it appeared that, had it not been for their mother, Indi might have not been with them anymore. Teagan berated herself. She knew she should have gone off to find Indi when she’d first noticed her sister’s odd behavior and absence. She shouldn’t have waited until their mother got home to say something. Maybe then…maybe then

“Raaaahhhg!” She let out a roar of frustration, anger, hatred. There was a flash of silver as the girl brought the sword she had stole—borrowed into the thick mass of the fallen tree trunk. Bits of old bark splintered off from their host at the impact of the weapon, but blade’s edge barely bit in more than half of an inch or so. Teagan’s shoulders quivered, shook, in her anger. She was mad at herself, mad at the world, mad at everything.

When she had been attacked, Teagan hadn’t felt rage. She’d felt disconnected, and had been more in shock of her first shifting than realizing the danger she’d been in. This though? This was personal. It wasn’t her that had been hurt, it had been her family. It had been her mother. It had been her sister who had already been suffering. Teagan raised the sword and took another vicious swing. Her inner fire burned brightly in her glaring, canary eyes.

And no one hurt her family.

She’d wanted nothing more than to go find the brute, the coward that’d hurt her sister and her mother when the two had returned home later that fateful day. Indi had just started to show signs of improvement from the falling star incident, and then this happened?! Consoling Indi had been the only reason the Lotta hadn’t been stomping around the pack’s borders like a raging bear that night.

Today though, Teagan had snuck off to the borders—against her parents’ orders—in a vain attempt to find the bastard that had hurt her beloved sister. She’d come up with nothing though, and as much as she might have wanted to go scouring the countryside for the male’s retched hide, Teagan was smart enough to not go gallivanting through unknown territory. So, after a quick loop back the Fort to check on Indi and her baby bird, Teagan had snuck into the armory, nabbed a sword, and had stalked off towards the Sugarwoods for some time to burn off her pent up frustration.

In her anger, she hadn’t bothered to hide her trail. Her mind had been too preoccupied with other matters to care. The first dead tree she’d found, Teagan had attacked it like a rabid animal. Chunks of the fallen giant’s bark had been hacked away, evidence of her distraught handiwork seen clearly by the bits and pieces of barren points at varying distances up and down the decaying wood.

When her mother had found her, Teagan had been in-between episodes. She stood still before her “foe.” With each breath, her tense shoulders rose and fell. Her hands clenched. She didn’t know if she wanted to cry or scream in her frustration, and, when her mother spoke, the Lotta visibly jumped. She nearly dropped the sword in her hand in her surprise.

“Mom?!” She yelped, clearly startled by her mother’s sudden appearance. She turned on her heel, her sword hand quickly moving behind her to hide the weapon she had taken. Teagan’s mismatched ears flattened against her dark hair, and her angry, canary eyes were downcast, occasionally sneaking guilty glances at her maternal figure. “What…” She swallowed her nervousness, “What are you doing out here?”

Her mother’s words registered belatedly, and, coupled with Lyris’ lack of humor in her tone, the daughter had a feeling her mother wasn’t there for a social visit. Realizing her mistake, Teagan’s mouth twisted sourly and her eyes narrowed as she cut her gaze to the fallen tree. “Sorry, it’s just…I was mad about what happened to Indi and…” Her apology trailed as Teagan let out a sigh, deciding that she didn’t want to talk about her feelings after all. “I-It won’t happen again.”

Don't wanna depend on no one else, I’d rather rescue myself.
Teagan Stryder

Casa di Cavalieri
War Lord
Songbird
The Brotherhood: Master of Bladed Weapons
You shoot me down
but I won't fall
I am titanium

POSTED: Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:18 pm

smoother than a storm

Assessing the scene, it appeared as though as mall tornado had touched down. Or a rabid animal. Lyris was vaguely impressed with the destruction Teagan had managed to cause, even if there was an obvious lack of finesse. The mother's eyes trailed the curves of fallen trees and hacked-up wood even as her daughter stood watching her, curious. Finally, she met the canary gaze of the Lotta, crossing her arms lightly as the youth bubbled out an explanation. "I was looking for you." She didn't need to elaborate why; mainly, it had been to locate the girl and be put at ease that she was also not on the borders, in fear of being man-handled. However, there had also been another intention. And fortunately, the situation provided an easy way to introduce- or force- the training.

The little warrior understood where she had strayed wrong. Lyris had never specifically restricted the girls' travels since the incident, but she figured it was very clear that it would preferably be limited. They had all been spooked, and the mother was in no form to kill and fight off any other intruders today. "It's fine." It wasn't. "As long as you are going no closer to the borders." Her cutting jade gaze held a warning, and she met her daughter's eyes without waver to make sure it was conveyed. She wanted dearly to lock them both up in the Fort and never let them leave; but that was paranoid. Lyris had been paranoid for far too long, and was slowly forcing herself to let go. And given the basic fact that Teagan had mutilated several bodies of foliage in her apparent rage, the Stryder was finding it easier to worry less about her children. But the only way to be certain of it was to make sure that they knew how to fight. Without the luxury of a weapon.

Lyris very suddenly strode up to Teagan, slipped her hand behind her daughter's back, and pulled the ill-hidden sword from her grip, in the same movement lifting the blade and slamming it into the trunk of the nearest tree, where it remained. "You're not always going to have a sword to hack at things with; if you know how, your teeth and claws can be just as effective." Lyris turned to the girl, and after flicking her pale tail across the Lotta's stomach in the briefest show of affection, the Artiglio fell into her well-practiced defensive stance, slightly feral in posture, legs poised with the ability to move in the span of seconds. "Square up." She nodded to Teagan, letting it be known she had the first move.

((400+)) lmao you will find no funny business here

Lyris Stryder
Casa di Cavalieri
DEAD
Ann
Luperci Mate to Luca Stable Master The Brotherhood: Master of Tooth and Claw 2013, 2015 SoSuWriMo Champ! Stryder
princess cut from marble
smoother than a storm
SILVER & GOLD

POSTED: Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:33 am

TEAGAN STRYDER
I will not bow. I will not break. I will shut the world away.
[ 729 ]

The cross-armed stance was something Teagan knew all too well, as she often reflected the act in herself. It was a defensive movement, and, judging from the cool, steady stare of her mother’s jade gaze, it was one that clearly showed that the older Stryder would not be persuaded or tricked into backing down. Whatever her mother wanted from her, there was no running away from it.

Lyris’ answer as to why she was there made Teagan realize the stupidity of her question, and the teen let her canary eyes irritably fall in her embarrassment. Right. After all, why else would Lyris be there? Her opening statement had made it clear that she hadn’t just happened upon the chaos that was her daughter.

Her mother deflected her apology, but, with it, reminded the Lotta of her and Luca’s preference that the girls stay away from the borders, and, thus, trouble. Had Teagan any less control of herself, she might have let out a nervous laugh at the knowledge that she had done just that. Good thing she didn’t come around earlier… Teagan could only imagine the punishment she’d have to endure for purposely and knowingly going against what her parents had specifically told her not to do.

When jade met canary to emphasize her warning, Teagan submitted to her mother’s authority with little fuss. “Yes, Mom,” she accepted aloud to appease the older Stryder. She was smart enough to know saying anything else would have landed her in trouble. If Lyris already knew of her daughter’s rebellious travel earlier that day, she gave no hint of it. So, Teagan sure as hell wasn’t going to incriminate herself by mentioning otherwise. What Lyris didn’t know wouldn’t hurt her…

For a fleeting moment, Teagan felt her heartbeat quicken as her mother suddenly approached her. Shit shit shit! Maybe she did know! Instinctively, Teagan took a half-step back, but it wasn’t enough. Lyris’ strides were too long and fast, and she was upon the shorter Stryder within seconds. The Artiglio’s larger hand found its way to the sword Teagan had hidden behind her back, and, with ease, lifted it from the girl’s weak grasp. Teagan visibly flinched as Lyris drove the sharp edge into the thick wood of the tree trunk not seconds later.

There was a reason Teagan thought so highly of her mother.

She was fearless.

She was powerful.

She was scary.

It had been no wonder that the brute had run off when her mother had showed up to protect Indi.

Lyris had Teagan’s full attention with the demonstration, and her sharp words that poured from her lips thereafter chased away any thoughts of leaving the area any time soon. It seemed a training session was underway, and Teagan was not given the option of not being a part of it. Whatever Lyris had in mind, the teenager was sure it would be intense for her.

The faint flick of her mother’s tail tip across her torso had not gone unnoticed, but, when faced with the larger picture at hand, Teagan couldn’t let herself dwell on the act of affection of a mother to her offspring. Lyris had taken up a stance, and Teagan did well to not keep her waiting. She moved into a fighting stance of her own, loosening her previously rigid spine and limbs. She had to be limber, flexible, and able to change at a moment’s notice to match the flow of her fighting partner…who just happened to be one of the best in Casa di Cavalieri.

A command was given, and the Lotta let her canary gaze quickly look over her mother’s seasoned posture. She knew she could never best the experienced fighter, but that didn’t mean she wouldn’t give the spar her all. Her fingers curled into tight fists before she took a step forward, striking out with one arm poised forward while the other tucked tightly against her body. A sharp breath of exertion escaped her as she poured energy into her punch. She aimed for her mother’s bandaged side.

It was not an honorable move, but, currently, it was her opponent’s weakness, and it was an advantage that she would be a fool not to take.

I will not fall. I will not fade. I will take your breath away.
Teagan Stryder

Casa di Cavalieri
War Lord
Songbird
You shoot me down
but I won't fall
I am titanium

POSTED: Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:09 pm

smoother than a storm

Her daughters had learned very quickly how much it would benefit them to be smart and sly in their rebellious dealings. Lyris never explicitly forbade traveling, or taking leave from the Fort's walls, but the expectations of the warrior mother and kingly father were made very clear on a daily basis. Despite, Lyris had a feeling that the girls could understand where her paranoia sprouted from. Be it the riddled scars that patterned her pristine form and the wrong done by her, or the silent knowledge that her harsh words were only to keep them safe, Lyris was confident her guidelines were never misunderstood or put unfairly. At least, that is what she hoped they were. Teagan understood that she was playing a dangerous game, to be flirting with the borders in a way that could still spell danger. But she had done it anyways, even though it was forbidden. Had Lyris known of such a thing, she could have only hoped the canary-eyed youth understood the precarious elements of the situation. As it was, the mother assumed that the girls' fidgety, somewhat guilty expression was only due to her being caught unawares. Yes, the girl was certainly learning how to skirt around her mother in a more effective way. But it was next to impossible to escape Lyris when she did not want to be eluded.

Confirmation was received, and the Cavallo nodded her head in vague acknowledgement and approval. When she next moved, Teagan's initial fear and then reverence at the silent prowess was not lost on her. The Stryder wondered if such emotions were good things. She thought that maybe they were not. Perhaps Teagan and Indi deserved a mother that prolonged their childhood innocence, and called them her loves for longer a time. Maybe they needed more affection and soft-heartedness before they were forced into these skills of war she did not want to teach but needed to. It was too late for the scar-latticed woman to consider now. She was simply not numbered among the soft, gently domestic and kind women that seemed blessed with the abilities any matriarch should have. Lyris had never intended to become what she had, but she was now and forever a warrior. And if she could not coddle her daughters and give them the confidence they needed through soft fingers and social abilities and domestic tasks, she would give them confidence in their ability to defend what was important. Themselves, and whatever else they deem worthy of it. That was her intention. But the final result would not come easy.

The girl did not hesitate. Gone were the days of hesitation and confusion. There was no longer a question of why she must participate in such training, but only how. Lemon gaze calculated. She learned by observing, watching Lyris' own position to absorb its effectiveness. Approval perhaps glinted in the woman's own sights, but it did not have the ability to last long when a move was, indeed, made. But it was too executed. Too much thought, a decision just a heartbeat too slow had given a result. Plenty of power was packed behind the blow, but she had given Lyris far too easy a warning. The mother twisted with ease, turning white feet on a dime to avoid the punch and instead bring her elbow up with all the speed of a real hit. The movement stopped cold, then, just an inch before Teagan's chin, her mother's arm hovering dangerously close where a knockout blow would have been landed without difficulty. Lyris only smiled, and then dropped her arm. "Good." She said, praising the girl's attempt to aim. She had not expected the youthful knight to strike first for her mother's weakness, but she had. She had expected sentiment to be an obstacle. And perhaps it was, on some level, but Teagan had advanced already. She was far from the wobbly puppy she had been moons ago, but endless work still stretched ahead. "Your power was formidable, but it does you no good if you allow me time and warning to avoid it." Lyris stepped back, again, and returned to her initial poise. "Strike faster. Sacrifice power if you have to in order to move quickly. A blow of half-strength is better than none at all. And-" The wolfish female flicked her tail. "-do not stare where you are going to strike. It is far too obvious." Lyris then moved, without much warning past the end of her sentence. With all of the speed of a true battle, the mother twisted on her toes and lifted a thigh-scarred leg to attempt a roundhouse kick, aimed for the sensitive flank of the Lotta. She would, of course, cease movement should Teagan miss her opportunity to dodge or counter-strike, but only just.

((800+)) a novel, for you

Lyris Stryder
Casa di Cavalieri
DEAD
Ann
princess cut from marble
smoother than a storm
SILVER & GOLD

POSTED: Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:08 am

TEAGAN STRYDER
[ 593 ]

I didn’t want to repeat a move similar to the one that I just did in Teagan/Indi’s fight thread so soon, so, here’s what Teagan did, if my wording is confusing xD Also, I hope my assumption that Lyris taught her this sometime before is okay?

She knew it’d been too much to actually believe she’d be able to hit her mother with her first strike. Lyris would have had to been incapacitated or dying in some way to fall victim at the start of a fight. It’d be too easy. Teagan idolized her mother’s prowess and skill with battle. To have made contact on the first try would have had her questioning the point of Lyris being there, would have made the daughter bitter with the thought that her mother might have been going easy on her.

The Lotta had to force her body into a jarring halt as she saw a flash of white out of the corner of her eye. A counter. Her mother’s lightning fast speed allowed her to put Teagan within striking distance of a well-placed elbow. The teen managed to regain control over her body, but her reactions had been too slow to avoid what would have been a skull-rattling strike to her chin. Teagan stood stock-still, her breathing somewhat quickened from her haste to avoid the limb that had thrown towards her. Canary eyes stared down at the outstretched arm at the tip of her nose, taking good note of how things would have ended if her mother had not pulled her strike.

Her gaze moved up the limb and to her mother’s face as she withdrew it. The Cavallo praised the younger Cavalier, however, there was a ‘but’ to her commendation, and Teagan had not expected any differently. She’d lost on both the attack and the defensive, and she listened with open ears on how to remedy her downfall. Lyris explained, and Teagan offered a firm nod and quick exhale in understanding. Her eyes were sharp and her lips were pressed into a stern line. Once more, her hands returned to their ready stance. She was focused, and prepared to learn and fight.

Without warning—as it would be in a true fight—Lyris brought up her leg, aiming for Teagan’s thigh. If the blow hit, it’d knock her off balance, leaving the likelihood that she’d end up vulnerable on the ground, and with a throbbing leg—something she needed if she wished to fight equally with her mother—to make matters worse. Teagan could drop, roll, and try to break her mother’s only pillar of balance by trying to strike behind the knee on her planted leg. Or…

Teagan shifted her weight to improve her stance so that her next action wouldn’t end in her falling over from Lyris’ power. She brought her leg up, twisting it so her mother’s shin aligned with her own to absorb the blow. The Lotta had been practicing the move since the pair’s last sparring lesson, and she was proud to see that her work had paid off. Her mother’s strength caused Teagan to teeter a little bit, but, her stance had been nearly perfect otherwise.

The attack blocked, it was time for her to offer a counter to put the ball back in Lyris’ court. Teagan twisted her upper body, one hand aiming to slap down on the muscled calf of her mother for balance while the other hand balled into a fist and aimed for the meaty tissue above the older Stryder’s knee. She didn’t want to maim her mother, and figured that a strike near her intended target would be enough to show where her train of thought had been going.

Teagan Stryder

Casa di Cavalieri
War Lord
Songbird
You shoot me down
but I won't fall
I am titanium

POSTED: Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:17 am

smoother than a storm

Lyris believed that any lax training was worthless. Practicing techniques and moves on one that allowed them to be performed and otherwise positioned their body perfectly was completely opposite to the unraveling of true combat. Things were going to go awry, and you were going to hurt, and there were going to be split-second decisions, not orders on what move to demonstrate next or how to fix your mistakes. And any amount of mercy- as far as one's pride went, for mercy would be given in leeway of physical injuries for obvious reasons- was only going to hurt the student rather than help. The closer to reality they could approach, the better. And so Lyris did not wait to strike again, the second she finished her short-winded words of advisement. And Teagan did not hesitate to respond.

Her kick, fast and sly as it was, was met. Her daughter moved with apt speed, and Lyris was impressed. Enough that her movement had been executed with enough confidence to not constitute an escape plan. Teagan already had a course of action in mind, and was able o hold her mother's shin while attempting a strike. Lyris was quicker, however, and dropped her leg just as the canary-eyed girl's fist made contact, enough to put pressure but not given enough time to create a bruise before the limb was dropped. Lyris returned to her prior poise, light on the balls of her feet. "Good." She praised, again, and saw little to no fault in the move, beyond perfecting it with practice. Again, the Artiglio made an attempt, this time whirling her body sideways to attempt a hit with a backswing of her elbow. However, just before the reaching distance was closed, Lyris ducked the upper half of her body to the ground, suddenly placing her hands among the grass, and with one leg made to hook Teagan's ankle and sweep her off her feet, moving in the matter of a few heartbeats.

((300+)) this is short im sorry D;

Lyris Stryder
Casa di Cavalieri
DEAD
Ann
princess cut from marble
smoother than a storm
SILVER & GOLD

POSTED: Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:53 pm

TEAGAN STRYDER
[ 386 ]

It’s okay~<3 I hope what I wrote makes sense >___<

Just as she had been about to strike, the target she had been aiming for was quickly pulled out of her reach. Teagan’s own leg planted itself quickly as her upper body followed through with the punch that had been intended. She managed to put on the brakes well enough though, and returned to her ready stance just as her mother praised her once more.

She offered a nod and a shallow smirk. “I’ve been practicing it since you taught it to me,” she explained unnecessarily. For some reason, she felt it was important to let her mother know that her teachings had not fallen on deaf ears and wasted. The daughter took each of their lessons seriously, and was sure to mull over the actions and reactions that had gone on in the bout to insure she was better prepared for the next. This one would be no different. Already, she had taken mental notes; of her mistakes, of her improvements, as well as her mother’s actions and her advice.

One day, she would be a knight.

Lyris paused only enough for them to catch a breath before she tested the Lotta once more. The Cavallo spun on her foot, pivoting around so that the hard bone of her elbow threatened to dig itself into soft flesh. It was a move that would definitely bruise if it hit, and could hinder if it struck bone or a vulnerable portion of her body. Teagan threw an arm up to block the strike, only to realize too late that it was a feint.

With godly speed, Lyris had dropped, swinging a leg out before the younger Stryder could counteract the sudden change in attack. Her legs were swept out from beneath her, and Teagan coiled her muscles, twisting like a cat. She knew that if she hit the ground with failing limbs, the fight would have been over. Her mother had taught her that early on in her training when she had introduced the move and had put Teagan on her backside.

The youth bounced off the ground with her hands and feet, and rolled so that she put herself at her mother’s back. With a push of her feet, she launched herself at Lyris, attempting to catch her in a choke hold.

Teagan Stryder

Casa di Cavalieri
War Lord
Songbird
You shoot me down
but I won't fall
I am titanium

POSTED: Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:19 am

smoother than a storm

The familiarity of the moves was not lost. Lyris recognized them as her own teaching and introduction, and was warmed oddly by the sight of her daughter's refining and now almost-skilled execution. A mother's confidence that the girl would be able to use such moves anywhere and in any necessary situation fueled her intention to continue Teagan and Indi's training until they could defend themselves with satisfaction and something formidable. The fact that the younger girl had even managed to catch Lyris unawares and grip her ankle was astounding and highly advanced when her age was taken into account- she was yet to even be graduated from youth ranks- and when compared to the Mani's excessive skill in combat. The briefest of smiles, a rare and genuine thing as it was, was nearly lost in the flurry of activity following.

Teagan reacted with fervor and speed at the apparent strike of Lyris' sudden elbow, but as planned, it was a reaction to a fake gesture. The huntress' flank pinged in pain as she swept the girl from her balance, the wound across her flank making its re-introduction where unwelcome. Despite the distraction, the mother did not pause until she stood, watching with approval and the vague sights of a grimace (from discomfort) as her daughter recovered from the near-fall, almost catlike. Lyris was ready to praise, once again, but suddenly Teagan moved behind her, and the pressure of a limb against her throat had Lyris' muzzle dropping, pressing against the girl's arm. Despite the ache along the curve of her side, the Mani stepped to the side, quickly, and with her left hand dropped, tapped with pressure but no real attack against Teagan's left leg. Should the girl move down at the sudden touch, Lyris' same arm would rise up, to lightly smack against the girl's face, and with the two consecutive hits, Lyris would twist her form to effectively remove herself from the choke hold. Jade sights cut back to look at the canary-eyed girl, and the mother nodded, again. "Good. You're doing very well." The Labor Head lifted her hand to press against her bandaged side- lightly, near casual- and the gesture was hopefully overlooked and subtle enough when moving her other arm to grab and pull the nearby sword hilt from where it was buried in a tree trunk. Lyris presented it to Teagan, blade shining and nodded a scar-laced face back towards the direction of the Fort. "Enough for today. You've done enough to the trees." She could not hide, again, the brief smirk that alit her severe features before turning to walk back into the fold of the trees. "Let's go back home, and find Indi."

((400+)) It made all the sense! Sorry for a sudden wrap-up, but this is crusty and I figured it could help lighten your load/there was enough training. You can reply again or archive here if ya like!!

Lyris Stryder
Casa di Cavalieri
DEAD
Ann
princess cut from marble
smoother than a storm
SILVER & GOLD

Dead Topics