Mend and make do

Veri

POSTED: Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:38 pm

Word Count → +300 :: Dated after Veri has given birth; let me know if you want anything changed! <3

Everett raked hands through his dishevelled hair. His breath escaped tightly held jaws in low, dry breaths. The male was sat hunched upon his bed, covers and furs piled about his lower body. The scholar blinked bleary, red-rimmed eyes as glanced about his room - papers, books, writing utensils and melted wax cluttered his personal space. The bliss of sleep had eluded him that night, thanks to a multitude of aches and pains. Ink-stained hands scrubbed at his eyes and face, and with a rattling sigh, the male heaved himself upright.

The male bent down to retrieve stacks of parchment, and hissed at the dull ache in his hinds. Everett grunted, and hastily arranged his belongings in a semblance of order; as much as his joints would allow, at least. He padded over to the chest of drawers, and gently pulled them open. Glass containers and jewellery clinked against each other Everett fumbled through the contents. The gentleman's private stockpile of herbs had run painfully low, and with a low growl he realised he had drunk the last of his chamomile teas.

Armed with this knowledge and the tell-tale thump of a headache, Everett retreated from his room and headed downstairs. When he was hale and hearty, it had not proven difficult to locate the Medico office by scent alone. Healing, herbal scents permeated the rooms, but to a canine with diminished senses the aromas were faint. Fortunately for the male, routine had allowed the office's location to be worn into his memory. The door had been left ajar, and whilst he knew packmates were free to enter and leave the space, his own sense of propriety would not permit him to do so.

Everett rapped softly on the door as he announced himself, "Hello? It's Everett, may I come in?"

Everett Moreau

Art Credit: Skizophrene

Ketsuki
Luperci
THAT'S IT! ~

POSTED: Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:29 pm

You can stand me up at the gates of Hell but I'll stand my ground, won't be turned around

If someone had asked the healer just a few days ago whether she was alright, her answer would have probably been an honest no. Most members of the pack could have guessed why rather easily. The death of the ice queen was still a heavy burden on her mind, despite having gotten her motivation back to be better. Iorek had been a helping hand in that, patiently letting Veri beat the crap out of him to practice a style of fighting that used pressure points.

Now, however, she stood in the Medic Office grinding at some herbs in a mortar and pestle to prepare them for a salve. Her son, Alaric, laid on the table beside where she worked, warmly wrapped in a blanket as he napped. He was still small, at a week and a half old, but was definitely larger than the other three pups that'd recently been born. They were quickly catching up to him though, and she wondered how big Alaric would be when fully grown.

A rap at the door announced the presence of another, a raspy voice betraying the reason they had come. Immediately Veri turned to address them, mixed blue eyes sweeping up and down the light grey form of Everett. She'd been made aware of his sickness by Iorek, who'd been quite worried about the pale pelted male. "Of course you may enter, those who need healing services are never turned away." she assured him kindly, gesturing for him to come in and seat himself.

"I take it that this visit means you are not getting better yet." she mused aloud before a sound from the bundle on the counter had her turning to momentarily check on Alaric. The tiny pup was snuffling in his sleep and stretching out his forepaws, but he quickly settled back down in his cocoon of warmth. She stroked his head with a finger and then refocused her attention on Everett, concern etched into her expression. "Alright, what do you need my dear? Iorek has told me what's going on mostly, but I like to hear from the horses mouth." it was an illness, that much she could tell, even from the smell alone.

Since the spar with Iorek, Veri had scoured through the library for every single book that had to do with herbal remedies, searching for those that helped with sickness. She hadn't found much new information; she'd read through those books several times already. But there was a handful of things that she'd skipped over, in favor of the more physical remedies that some herbs had. She wouldn't fail a pack mate again.

ooc Sorry this took so long! | [wc — ??]
template by hilli
Veri Secanti

Casa di Cavalieri
Chief Cleric
Amoris
Luperci Healer, Ambassador (CdM) The Brotherhood: Master of Medicines Mate to Rurik

POSTED: Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:06 pm

Word Count → +400 ::

Silver ears tipped forward at the noises that drifted beyond the doorway. Stone scraped on stone in the tell-tale rhythm of a herbalist at work. Everett’s thoughts turned to the heaviness that rested in his mind and body at the passing of their queen. The pack had come together in their collective grief and remembrance for Lyris, and yet, the scholar had felt something disquieting upon the air. To consider that the healers could be regarded with scrutiny or even distrust at the matriarch’s loss seemed unthinkable. Yet, the hearts and minds of those lost to grief were often strange and dark places.

Veri called pleasantly from the inside, and as he entered she waved a hand to the empty chairs, which he settled into. His gaze swept the office, only to linger at a mixture on a shelf or a jar on the table. Everett laid his hands upon his lap, and turned them over to reveal the pale flesh of his pads.

Veri asked after his well-being, and the man nodded once in assent. Everett canted his head to one side as he noticed movement on the counter top. The lump issued soft sounds, and its chest rose and fell. Pale orbs softened as he watched the sleeping puppy extend his forelimbs, and with his mother’s gentle touch succumb to slumber. His heart swelled at the charming sight, and he smiled at the healer as she looked at him.

The male studied her expression for a moment, at the way her brows curved upward in interest as she addressed the scholar’s ills. Everett noticed the subtle movement of scar tissue upon her muzzle as she inhaled his scent as she mentioned Iorek’s concerns. His smile expanded as she used a pet name, ‘dear’, that was familiar from home. “I commend Iorek on his persuasive skills. Did you have a hand in teaching him, or is it a facet I had not seen before?”

Everett gazed at the sleeping form of Alaric as he spoke of his own health, his voice low and hoarse. “I am at a loss, if the truth be told. I thought this would pass, this cold. It persists, despite my best efforts. I have tried to use warming teas and mixtures to combat the fatigue upon body and mind.” Pale orbs flickered to Veri’s own sapphire ones as he hesitated, and cleared his throat. “And the nightmares I have… some nights, I do not sleep…”

Everett Moreau

Ketsuki
Luperci
THAT'S IT! ~

POSTED: Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:25 am

You can stand me up at the gates of Hell but I'll stand my ground, won't be turned around

A smile broke across her expression and she chuckled, leaning on the counter top and loosely folding her arms across her chest. "I've taught him the way of medicines and defending himself, anything else he's begun to show is all him." she couldn't help but feel a tingle of pride, however, that Iorek had put his foot down and shown that he meant business. Very few canines would argue with a giant as big as the feral Medic, no matter how pacifist he might be.

That being said, the cream furred matriarch listened intently as he described what ailed him. For just a moment, no longer than a couple seconds, there was a flicker of concern through her mind for having Alaric in the same space as Everett, as young and weak as he still was. Just as quickly it was ignored, just in time for a slight frown of concern to tug on the corners of her muzzle in reaction to what the pale pelted male had painted for her. Fatigue, nightmares, a cough...it sounded rather simple. But then again, so had Lyris's illness, and it had taken her life.

Thoughtfully, the sandy gold Medic pushed away from the counter and turned to inspect her supplies, a purse to her lips. "Anything else you can possibly think of? Even if you think it might mean nothing or it seems embarrassing, it could help. Appetite, fever, how well things are passing through and coming out, nausea or vomiting..." she trailed off after giving him some suggestions. She tried to sugarcoat it a little, unsure about how he'd react to such blatant medical terms, but there was little else she could do about that.

ooc Sorry this took so long! | [wc — ??]
template by hilli
Veri Secanti

Casa di Cavalieri
Chief Cleric
Amoris
Luperci Healer, Ambassador (CdM) The Brotherhood: Master of Medicines Mate to Rurik

POSTED: Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:17 am

Word Count → +300 :: No worries! <3

The woman’s maw broke into a wide smile as he mentioned her student, Iorek. “He is a credit to you, Veri.” Everett quirked his lips in response, and turned his pale gaze onto the dozing pup. A heartbeat passed where his throat seized up while he admonished himself for running the risk of infecting Alaric. He gazed upward to see if his panic was shared, but the mother’s face offered little hint at her thoughts on the matter.

Instead, the female seemed more focused on the scholar. Veri drew herself away from the counter-top, and turned her attention to the shelves. As she thumbed her hands over the mass of containers, she listed a number of ailments in an, easy conversational manner. It was enough to quell the sputter he could feel bubbling up his throat. Between dismay or childish laughter, he did not know what was worse.

She gently reminded Everett not to disregard any changes in his health; even if they were small or of a delicate nature. The gentleman cleared his throat, and stared at the length of stones gathered at his wrists. A deep exhalation of air departed his lungs as he tried to organise his thoughts into a semblance of order, his voice hesitant. “I believe some of the symptoms to simply be a cold. The drop in the temperature typically means I will fall sick, and unfortunately I’ve learnt the hard way it takes me a little longer to fight it off.”

Everett tilted his head to catch Veri’s eyes with his own. Taught creases formed at the edges of pink lips as he listened to his heartbeat drum in his chest. “As for the nightmares… I believe I know where the source lies. It is something I try to forget. And yet it festers there, whenever I close my eyes. I do not know… how to overcome it, or even if it can be.”

He was aware he was being cryptic and cringed outwardly at his openness. It could not be unspoken now that the secret was given air. Good riddance, a voice roared from the midst of his mind.

Art by Nat

Everett Moreau

Ketsuki
Luperci
THAT'S IT! ~

POSTED: Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:19 pm

For just a moment the sandy gold Medic allowed herself to preen under Eve's praise, a pleased expression overtaking the smile she'd worn at the first mention of Iorek. Although her thoughts of pride were overshadowed by momentary concern for her son, she did not allow it to go any further than the thoughts in her mind. There was no immediate danger. Afterall, Lyris's illness had stayed centralized on the ice queen, somehow, despite how often the two Medics and their Lune had been around the fallen Stryder Matriarch. Perhaps her immune system had been strengthened by the sickness that had swept the territory a few months past.

As she made her point about sharing any knowledge he might know about his welfare, her attention was on the shelves, so she did not see how he might have reacted to her nonchalant list of ailments. The way he cleared his throat shortly after gave her pause, blue orbs swiveling with her head to find his seated figure. For a moment he said nothing, and then a deep sigh was expelled and he began to speak. Veri listened patiently, her expression a mixture of concern and interest as he explained that a cold, for him, was quite natural, and tended to take longer than most to shake off.

His head tilted to deliberately catch her gaze. The movement brought her ears fully rotated forward on her head, to make sure he knew he had her complete attention now. The tension she saw in his face made her motherly instincts want to take him in her embrace and soothe them away. Her expression deepened with concern as he went on, prompting her to close the distance between them and sit in the chair beside him. For a few seconds she remained silent, in thought, and then she leaned back in her seat and looked at him full in the face, her blue orbs soft and achingly kind.

"It sounds like you think you deserve this sickness whenever it ails you. Your subconscious is extremely powerful. If it thinks you deserve punishment for something from the past, it will do it's best to conjure up the best option available to it." her gaze stayed on his for several solid seconds until she blinked and seemed to realize how personal this might be. She leaned back even further and rubbed her newly acquired scar out of habit, a smile of chagrin tugging at her lips. "Please, forgive me if I'm being too forward, or if I'm wrong completely. I don't want to assume anything." she said hastily.

Veri bit her lip and dropped her arm back into her lap, searching his expression with only genuine concern in her own. "But if I'm right...it could be the cause of the nightmares too. Or part of it. I can give you remedies for the physical ills, but if your mind is holding onto something from your past, dwelling on it, grieving, piling up with regret or shame...all of these emotions can affect your physical body if they are bottled for too long."

ooc here | [wc — ??]
template by hilli
Veri Secanti

Casa di Cavalieri
Chief Cleric
Amoris

POSTED: Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:18 pm

Word Count → +400 ::

The golden woman focused on Everett as his gaze touched hers. Veri’s ears tilted forward, whilst his folded back. The scholar pressed on with his response to her questions, and watched as her expression flickered from worry to gentleness. Glacial orbs drifted down, as he rubbed his hands together persistently. The stones at his wrist clinked together with the motion, a quiet yet steady rhythm to his words. Veri’s footsteps on the floor brought the scholar’s attention toward his surroundings; the medic had come to sit beside him.

He turned his body slowly towards hers as he studied the silent figure. The wolf relaxed into the chair and inclined her face towards Everett as she explained her theory; from what the male could gather, he was wounding himself from the inside. The problems he fought against were a complex beast, and dwelt within the layers of his own mind. “It is an interesting thought,” he said at last, as he scratched his chin. “Do you think so? That I, or my thoughts may be the cause of my pain?”

It was a theory he had mused on before. In the darkness of the night, and the shadows of his psyche, something stirred. Perhaps he had become accustomed to the daemon that settled within the corners of his mind that it had not occurred to him to question its existence. Everett nodded and smiled faintly as Veri traced a finger along a healing scar. “Not at all. You wish to help me and I want to be better. I can only achieve this through your assistance.”

The silver male folded his arms across his chest while his tongue flicked outward to smooth his muzzle. He nodded slowly as she mentioned herbal remedies to soothe his physical ails. Everett’s ears perked forward as the woman clarified the source of his distress, and gave her reasons for why he continued to struggle with nightly terrors. His jaws parted as he sighed, and appeared to crumble where he sat; his spine sagged forward as his pads held the side of his face. His gaze stared through the comfortable healer’s office into the middle distance, and his voice was faint as he asked aloud, “Why have I been so blind?”

“I think I understand, Veri.” The scholar glanced about him, his eyes trailed to the sleeping boy. “There are memories of things I have seen or done, that I either did not understand or did not wish to contemplate. What was I to do? I was hurt and confused. In my heart of hearts, I am a coward. I am not proud of that fact, but nor will I deny it.”

Art by Nat

Everett Moreau

Ketsuki
Luperci
THAT'S IT! ~

POSTED: Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:01 am

Everett's calm reaction to her theory helped to relax the tension that'd abruptly built in her shoulders. Not many would take the idea that their ailment was their own doing as well as he just had.

She gave a dip of her muzzle as he asked for reconfirmation. "It's certainly possible. From what I know of the history of medicine from the time of humans, even they didn't understand how the mind worked. Not fully."

The pale furred Scholar had been swift to reassure that her aid was appreciated, punctuating that she only genuinely wished to help and his best bet to get better was through her. The Medic's muzzle turned up at the corners, pleased but tinged with an embarrassed humility.

Veri's ears turned back once more as he reacted to her next statement, his posture crumpling in his seat as he bent forward to hold his head between his hands. She reached out a hand to his shoulder, only to catch herself and pause before her fingertips came into contact. Still, it hovered there between them, an extension of her concern.

Everett glanced about then, and she allowed the hand to slowly fall back into her lap while quietly listening. His gaze had found the sleeping bundle of her son whilst speaking. Her expression softened throughout his vague explanation, her posture subconsciously leaning forward in an effort to show him some form of comfort.

"Perhaps...it would be beneficial to...attempt...reevaluating what occurred in your past that causes such distress to you, but from a third, neutral party. And if you can't, then, perhaps finding a trustworthy friend to confide in might be an idea to consider." a few quiet squeaks had her attention perking in her son's direction.

The sandy gold Medic stood to close the distance between herself at the blanketed pup. He'd woken, his form wriggling a little in its soft confines. Carefully she picked up her precious cargo and carried Alaric back with her to the chair she'd vacated, cradling the nest to her torso while she ever so gently rubbed a few fingers down his spine. Content now that he was close to her, she shifted her gaze back to Eve.

"The reason I suggest this, as distasteful as either option might be, it might open you to a different set of mind in regards to whatever situation you have trapped in your thoughts. Cowardice is in the eye of the beholder, after all, and we tend to be our own worst enemies when it comes to such things."

Soon after she'd finished speaking, Alaric deemed it time to lift his head from its perch and spread his tiny muzzle wide in a yawn. A squeak punctuated the end, where he placed his head back down and squirmed a moment to get more comfortable, his paws stretching outward before going lax. Veri smiled warmly down at the tiny ball of fluff.

ooc here | [wc — 500]
template by hilli
Veri Secanti

Casa di Cavalieri
Chief Cleric
Amoris

POSTED: Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:54 pm

Word Count → +500 ::

Everett focused on Veri while she explained that he workings of the mind proved to be enigmatic to the humans. That fact was hardly comforting; the hairless ancestors had created and believed such wonderful, terrible and puzzling things. It seemed reasonable that even they lacked knowledge of such things. They had not escaped whatever it was that befell the world and laid it to decay for the Luperci to populate. This train of thought made the scholar’s eyelids heavy, as he brought his attention back to the present.

The blonde medic turned a bashful smile towards the male, and he mused if something he had said had prompted the expression. The flicker of movement was not lost to him, despite the way his gaze lingered on Alaric. An ear rotated minutely in Veri’s direction, but otherwise his features maintained a blank mask as he had practised. Her gesture and its meaning were unfathomable, did she mean to touch him? To comfort him?

The moment was gone, as Everett straightened from his uncomfortable declining position, and met her eyes. Her hands were folded across her lap as she inclined her body forward to listen. The corners of the man’s lips quirked in a smile, the gesture coupled with her warmth felt reassuring. Physical contact was something that all canines needed, it was a vital component that connected them to each in other in a family or a pack. The outcast had been purposefully starved of it, and saw the act of giving and receiving affection as something he was not worthy of. The medic likely did not realise what her kindness meant to Everett, but he would hold it close to his heart always.

Veri’s voice faltered as she offered her patient advice. To openly confess the aspects of his past and hold them to the light. It was a terrifying concept for the gentleman to consider; the medicine woman noted that he need not speak to her of it, that a friend would suffice. Everett nodded slowly, as both the adult’s turned their heads at a series of squeaks from the waking child. A smile touched his face as he watched the boy wriggling beneath the blankets, or the mother who appeared to visibly relax as she retrieved her son and returned to sit down with him cradled against her. The pup quieted as Veri traced slender fingers along his spine, and glanced at the silvery male.

He was relieved to find that the woman seemed to understand his private nature, as she spoke apologetically about her suggestion to confide in another. Veri gently reminded him that often what one thought about themselves could do far more harm than one realised. His response was interrupted by Alaric’s open-mouthed yawn. Everett continued to watch as the boy shuffled into a more comfortable spot and stretched. His own gaze settled on the babe at the moment that the sapphire-eyed woman did. “I did not get the opportunity to congratulate you properly before, but I would like to extend my felicitations to both you and Rurik. Alaric is beautiful.”

The male thumbed a ring as he replied to the mother’s advice. “To return to the point we were discussing, I agree with your suggestion. I would not hold it against you if you do not wish to hear what I have to say. Could I share my story with you, Veri? I trust you, and your skills to aid me in this task.”

Art by Nat

Everett Moreau

Ketsuki
Luperci
THAT'S IT! ~

POSTED: Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:30 pm

Everett's face, during her possibly unwelcome advice, seemed unchanging as he listened, save for a minute twitch of his ear in her direction, but why this movement was made she hadn't any idea. Veri noted the soft quirk to his lips and took it as a good sign, that he might be receptive to the idea of divulging the darkness of his mind in the hopes of tapping into what might be ailing him.

He made no attempts to speak between the end to her spiel and when she'd stood to retrieve her son. Only once she'd settled in her seat once again did the scholar finally bring himself to open his muzzle, but his words were of a different subject entirely; Alaric, of all things.

Nonetheless, Veri smiled and dipped her head in acknowledgement of his words. "Thank you, that means a lot to me. Rurik is still kind of unsure what to do with a pup of his own, honestly. He's slowly getting used to the idea though." she shared a commiserating smile with Eve. "He never thought the domestic 'family' thing would happen for him."

After that, however, he returned to the original point they'd been discussing, surprising her by forging further than she'd hoped. Her smile softened as she lifted it to his gaze, mixed blue orbs gleaming with the sort of quiet pride only a mother seemed capable of exuding. "Of course you may share with me, Everett. Before we begin, however, let me just make sure we won't be interrupted. If you intended to start now, that is."

If the scholars answer turned out to be yes, the Medic would stand, turning for just a moment to place Alaric's blanket nest on the seat she'd just abandoned in favor of walking to the door of the room and peeking out. Morty had arrived some time during the conversation, so she kindly asked the older healer to make sure no one disturbed this room unless the circumstances were dire.

The grizzled woman would make many grumbles but agreed, waving Veri back into the room with a huff, where she would then close the door and return to her vacated seat to pick up her son before sitting herself down once more.

ooc here | [wc — 500]
template by hilli
Veri Secanti

Casa di Cavalieri
Chief Cleric
Amoris

Dead Topics