The Knight's Squire

P. Guinevere

POSTED: Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:58 pm

OOC -stuff here

If I can live through this, I can do anything

There were a lot of things Cedric wanted to learn. Ever since the boy could dream, he'd been picturing himself as this great warrior, and a defender of his family. The kind that could stop them from being harmed. Cedric might be young and innocent to the world, but he had a bright mind, bright enough to know that his sister's tail didn't just drop off on it's own and his siblings didn't get scars from nothing. And his mother, Cedric never got to meet her, but he knew she was gone forever. Perhaps if he was strong enough, things like that wouldn't happen, because Cedric could protect others and stop them from occurring. That was his dream, making it reality would rely on how hard he worked in the coming months, and how well his mentor handled him.

Guinevere Callow-Knight. The daughter to a previous leader that Cedric never knew, and yet someone his father spoke of with praise, and someone he was warned to give respect. Now that the excitement of the ceremony was fading, the serious preteen was thinking hard about how he felt about his chosen mentor. Things that his father told him summed Guinevere up to being a loyal Cavalier, but the boy didn't know much about her personally. That would have to be one of his goals, but there were many.

After a couple of days to let the new transition settle in, Cedric was given word to meet Guinevere outside the Courthouse, for introductions. The boy quickly got out of his bed and found something to scarf down as he jogged out of the house. In his head, Cedric recited the list of things he wanted to request his mentor to teach him. The young Stryder's feet crunched on gravel as he made haste, determined to be prompt to the meeting. Cedric may have some reservations about being taught when he desired so much to be independent, but if he was going to have to submit to being a student then he was determined to be the best student he could be.

As the Courthouse came into view, so did the boy's mentor. A wave of decisions came to Cedric's mind; whether he should bow to a higher rank, be more informal or introduce himself. However as he drew close Cedric adopted his usual posture, a deep frown on his face and his arms crossed- something recently added to the boy's pose ever since he'd shifted. "I'm ready to be taught." The boy said plainly, "Although I'm not sure what exactly I'll be learning."

Cedric Stryder
A Knight is sworn to valor, his blade defends the helpless
Casa di Cavalieri
First Cadet
Jazzy
Spotlight Soul Luperci

POSTED: Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:31 pm

Guinevere Callow-Knight

OOC This is her corset with attached pauldrons, front and back. Her bracers, and the leather reinforced cloth trousers/pants.

Even after a couple days, the surprise of her new responsibilities hadn't faded. So, although she continued to reel from the fact that Luca still held her in a high regard even after all this time and her less than stellar membership for that little stint, she called for Cedric to meet her outside the Courthouse.

The Lune had trusted her with his youngest son, and the warrior princess would do her absolute best to teach him right. Jonas would come back from the grave to haunt her if she did anything less. Not to mention her father would probably come out of the woodwork to reprimand her for negligence.

So, she leaned against the edge of the stairs leading up to the Courthouse, waiting for her charge to arrive, donned in a rudimentary set of armor she'd slowly put together over time.

Leather bracers circled her forearms, leaving her upper limbs otherwise free for full motion. On the rest of her upper body she sported a dark leather corset with attached pauldrons, protecting her shoulders and inner organs from any immediate danger. Beneath these pieces she had a thin cotton shirt, soft blue in comparison to the hue of her fur or the leather. From waist to ankle she'd chosen a slightly thicker cloth trouser with leather reinforcements.

She didn't expect to spar just yet with the boy, he still had yet to choose a weapon of his own. Hopefully, that would be the task for today. Should he find the one he wished, they would move on to the training ring for a run down of basic stances. Perhaps. The only solid path of the day, for now, would be taking the up and coming Stryder boy down to the armory.

The sound of footsteps caused an ear to flick outward in the corresponding direction. Her head didn't turn to face him just yet, instead she studied the light pelted male from head to toe from one of her ghost green orbs. One of her shoulders shrugged slightly before she dropped her arms and pushed off from the edge of the stairs.

"I'm not a dictator of what you'd like to learn. Sure, I'll teach you the basics of things such as the stances and forms of a fight, how to dodge, parry, and counterattack. And if you get something wrong I'll obviously correct it for the sake of not getting into bad habits. Otherwise, what you would like to learn is under your jurisdiction. If I can't offer what you need, then I'll be able to find someone who can."

Reading and writing would also fall somewhere in the pattern, along with basic hunting and survival skill. It should also go without saying that it would be included amongst the weapon and self defense training; they were members of Casa di Cavalieri after all.

The warrior princess waved a hand for the younger boy to follow. "Today will be simple. You'll choose a weapon that you feel is best suited to you. I might make suggestions, but the overall feel of your selection is entirely up to you. A weapon should feel like an extension of you, whether it be bladed, blunt, or ranged." Guin took them up the steps of the Courthouse and down to the armory. Her arm gestured to the contents of the room once the door had been opened. "Take a look. Don't rush; I've got nowhere else to be."

Play by the rules, but be ferocious
Casa di Cavalieri
Sworn
Amoris
Luperci Carpenter The Brotherhood: Master of Bladed Weapons

POSTED: Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:54 pm

OOC -stuff here

The beginning speech was a surprise. After taking in his mentor's posture and her side glance his way with ghost green eyes judging the child from toe to ear, Cedric stared back with equal judgement. Before being drawn into a look of surprise as Guinevere explained herself, and the months to come, in one simple statement. She wasn't going to tell him what to learn, that was up to him. The boy nodded in respect to that, his white tail flicking curiously before his frown was set hard once more.

"I don't mean to be rude, but maybe I just want it explained to me better..." Cedric began, folding his hands behind his back to display a more respectable posture to his mentor. "Ever since I was told I was going to be taught be someone I've felt uncertain. The idea of being told how to do something... rather then figure it out for myself feels... uncomfortable. I suppose... I only feel like I've earned the right to be proud of my strength if I've gained it without help. Help is... it makes me feel weak." Even admitting his feelings felt like admitting to a weakness, and Cedric shifted uncomfortably on his feet, trying hard to keep eye contact with Guinevere even as he wanted to look away. "My father told me how loyal you are to this pack. And... if I have to be mentored, I don't want to be a bad student, you deserve a good one. So I'm sorry in advance if I become hard to deal with."

As their initial conversation faded, Cedric allowed his nerves over exposing his opinion lower and his excitement over finally choosing a weapon rise. As they entered the storage area, fond memories of hunting for mice resurfaced as Cedric glanced towards barrels and sacks of grain, Cedric focused on his memories for only a moment before examining the shining weaponry on offer. Guin's word held tight in his mind, like an extension of himself. The armoury felt full of potential, and yet Cedric was stumped on his choice. A sword would be an obvious choice, Cedric always pictured himself in his youth as the kind of Knight to ride out into battle holding a perfect blade in his hands. But looking at it now in person, all the swords and sharp weapons felt... wrong. Cedric even picked up a few, but soon felt uncomfortable with the weight of them. Finally, the boy's golden eyes rested upon a simple shield, curved and pointed in the shape of a spear head. He could see the dull reflection of himself in the silvered metal, and smiled softly. Cedric's hands wrapped around the shield, picking it up with a faint ringing sound coming off the metal as his claws tapped against it's surface. "This is my choice." Cedric stated, admiring the shield before examining the other side for where he was supposed to hold it.

Cedric Stryder
Casa di Cavalieri
First Cadet
Jazzy
Spotlight Soul Luperci

POSTED: Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:44 am

Guinevere Callow-Knight

OOC

Cedric seemed to appreciate the transparency of her intentions, given his nod, but then his expression morphed into a frown. He'd listened to her opening statement, so she gave him the same courtesy, both ears rotating forward in his direction to portray her full attention.

His posture changed, hands folded behind his back in a more respectful, warrior-like position. During his speech, she faced him square on, arms loosely crossed over the bodice of the corset. Her ghostly green orbs continued to scrutinize him as he went on, going into detail and being honest about how he felt of being 'mentored'.

His initial spiel done, he then shifted uncomfortably on his feet. He kept eye contact though, however difficult that might have been to maintain. It raised her respect for the boy even higher, one corner of her lips twitching slightly, pleased he seemed to have the same kind of gall his parents had.

Once he'd concluded, she gave him a nod of her own. "It's not rude to be honest, or frank. It may come across that way, to some, but honesty is crucial for communication, which is also in turn paramount for comrades in arms or teacher and student."

"Don't think of me as help. Think of me as a tool, a tool your father has granted you to acquire knowledge from on skills that we don't have books for. But instead of reading my pages, you have to ask questions, test different forms, convey back and forth with me on what and how you'd like to learn. You're not a bad student for having a particular way of learning."

Hoping that cleared up her earlier explanation, Guinevere led her apprentice into the Courthouse and down to the armory, where she gave him full access for him to choose the weapon of his choice.

He took her advice and perused carefully, giving each piece that caught his eye some thorough speculation before deeming it unfit and moving on. So closely she watched him that she could almost see the moment his gaze rested on that of the shield, the way his body stilled and he seemed to be drawn in to the place where it sat.

He lifted the shield from its nook with a faint ringing sound while his claws tapped its surface. He declared this as his choice, and Guin studied the spear shaped metal critically. She'd never personally used a shield as a primary weapon choice, though she knew it were possible. She gave a nod, keeping to herself the location of the grips to hold it in place on his arm. If he wanted to learn things on his own, she could oblige him.

"Sturdy, reliable. Good pick. I don't have much experience with shields, but you can bet I'll question around the pack to see who does. In the meantime, what about a secondary, or tertiary? I won't make you choose right now if none comes to mind, just remember your shield won't always be at easy hand should you need it. Back ups, even those you might not be completely comfortable with, are better than nothing."

'Nothing' in this case simply being an expression; no wolf had nothing when they still had their natural teeth and claws, which could deal extreme damage when wielded correctly.

Casa di Cavalieri
Sworn
Amoris

POSTED: Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:48 pm

OOC -stuff here

There was much they could agree on, and it was shedding a light on why Guin was the boy's chosen mentor. She seemed to understand Cedric, on a level others sometimes couldn't, and that made the boy's nerves relax, his jaw unclenching from it's tense position. Honesty was as important to a Knight as honour in battle, Cedric believed it was incredibly important to speak from the heart at all times. Even when what he had to say wasn't always appreciated. The boy was blunt at times, he was aware of it but couldn't see a reason why he had to be any different. Something Guinevere seemed to understand, using metaphors of Cedric using her skills and experience to teach himself like using a tool or reading a book, it got the snowy boy nodding. He still had his freedom in all of this training.

Freedom to make his choice of weapon, as Cedric now stood admiring his choice. He managed to find the grips in the time it took for Guinevere to comment on his choice, sliding his hand and forearm across it to do a small mock pose with the guard. "I can't tell what draws me to it. Perhaps it's what I see in myself, a shield for the pack. I want to keep my family safe, all of you, it's what I've dreamed of doing for as long as I can remember." Cedric explained calmly. He could almost see the visions of his childhood, the daydreams he'd create, images of himself as a proud Knight of Casa, holding a shield over the entire pack that shimmered with light to starve off the dark.

With his mentors advice in mind, the boy looked at all the weapons that hadn't appealed to his golden eyes before finding his shield. For the sake of finding at least something, Cedric looked with a more practical eye than with passion, and stopped his search at the short swords. He picked one up in his free hand, unfamiliar with the weight of both a sword and shield in his grasp, and tried slowly twisting it around to find a comfortable hold. "A sword will do, it's something a few of my siblings use, so I've seen it used a fair amount of times." Cedric claimed. He could already feel a creeping ache in his shield arm, and twisted the shoulder joint a little. "I think I'll have to practice a lot with these, or get stronger in order to hold them more, it doesn't help being so... scrawny." That seemed like the only way to put it. The boy had hoped to gain some weight and muscle whilst running around as a lanky pup, now that he'd shifted he felt even more stretch out thin, something he needed to improve upon quickly if he wanted to fit the image of himself in his dreams.

Cedric Stryder
Casa di Cavalieri
First Cadet
Jazzy
Spotlight Soul Luperci

POSTED: Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:48 am

Guinevere Callow-Knight

OOC here // WC 526

Guinevere's intuition to allow Cedric's self discovery of the grips proved correct, as he swiftly found them himself and slid his arm into the proper placement before taking up a mock pose in front of her. He launched a brief possible explanation for his choice, though overall he didn't understand why he'd been so drawn to the shield.

The Officer gave a nod to her apprentice, having expected such a thing. "It's not right or wrong that you can't pinpoint why it drew you in. It could be explained more in depth the longer you work with it." she left it at that, not desiring to launch into a long drawn out discussion about the why's and what fores. He'd made his primary choice, and that was good enough for her, even if the field acquired was foreign to her. As promised, she'd find someone who could handle it.

Taking her advice to heart, as she'd hoped, his gold eyes roved over the other possibilities within the armory. He reached for a short sword this time, taking it in his free hand, and twisted it a few times to become accustomed to the weight and find a comfortable hold. She gave a nod of approval; short swords were practical, and he had a plenty big pool of spar partners if he wished to observe more than just his own Mentor in combat.

It didn't take long for the mass of the new tools to create an ache for Cedric, made noticeable by the way he shifted his shoulder joint before commenting on becoming stronger. The Officer allowed a slight smile to crease her lips, a huff of breath that could almost be called a laugh escaping her maw.

"The endurance will come with time, no worries. Your brother, Arlen, is kind of built similarly to you. He may wield a rapier, but I'm sure he's plenty capable of picking up most anything else, should he so wish. Bulk isn't the only way to depict physical strength." she made a wave of her hand for him to follow as she left the armory, closing the door behind him before leading her apprentice outside of the Courthouse and toward one of the training rings.

Once within the confines of the fence, she drew her own short sword and faced her student in a ready stance, twisting her back foot into the sand just slightly. "Pick which you'd like to work on first and come at me. Slowly. This is about form now, we can work on speed and technique later."

True to her word, she didn't tell him what the correct form might be for either of his weapon choices. When he took a strike at her, she'd use the slow speed of the current spar to ask him how he could do it better, make it feel smoother, and see if he could adjust it himself. If not, she might give him a prod, for the sake of not making bad habits, but otherwise this exercise relied entirely on him.

Casa di Cavalieri
Sworn
Amoris

POSTED: Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:31 pm

OOC -stuff here

Cedric despite his stubbornness and independence was pretty easy to convince of things. He wasn't the best at talking, at least when it came to simple conversation and not just simply stating his mind. But the boy listened well, and with the right words, spoken in the right way, the boy would follow with absolute obedience and understanding. For now, it helped make Guin's words sink in, and let Cedric's puzzlement over his choices fade. So far his Mentor was doing everything right, allowing Cedric the freedom he itched for and not throwing aside any of the boy's choices. That anticipation of going into his training feeling discomfort and frustration was fading, leaving the young Stryder feeling relaxed.

Cedric glanced down to the sword and shield as Guin explained bulk wasn't important, just endurance. Whilst the snowy pup hoped he'd gain endurance quickly, the idea of being someone strong still sat in his mind. Perhaps he'd just need to demonstrate a balance of training, putting more into getting used to holding weapons then in gaining physical strength. Maybe in time the two training methods would become one. So for now, Cedric nodded his head. "The same goes for armour? I can't tell what kind of armour would suit me, unless a shield is all I'd need. But... I've never liked the idea of being confined too much, it's why clothing doesn't appeal to me like it does for my siblings. So if I had armour I'd imagine it would only be a small amount, not too heavy."

As his Mentor guided him out of the room, the thought of beginning training spurred Cedric's legs into motion, carrying the boy rather swiftly to the training grounds. Guinevere asked Cedric to choose one weapon to focus on and the boy pondered for a moment before carefully setting aside his shield. Whilst it was the one he cared about wielding the most, Cedric understood it also wasn't something easily learnt. The boy knew his Mentor would probably be able to aid him in learning about positions and strikes with a sword than with a shield. And whatever actions he learnt about could then perhaps be carried over once he picked the shield back up. So Cedric kept the short sword gripped in his left hand and approached carefully. For now, Cedric knew very little about technique, or how to even strike appropriately. But he supposed the correct methods would only come with practice, and so the boy threw his sword in a slow arch towards Guin, not looking at his weapon as he attacked but the reactions of his Mentor, the position of her feet and how much force she put in the counter. Her motions were much more fluid than his, albeit slowed down, and the boy picked up on a few things the older female did.

"The posture is very important, isn't it?" Cedric concluded, golden eyes still focusing on how his Mentor held herself and trying to mirror it himself.

Cedric Stryder
Casa di Cavalieri
First Cadet
Jazzy
Spotlight Soul Luperci

POSTED: Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:01 am

Guinevere Callow-Knight

OOC here // WC 317

Liver ears canted curiously as he commented, to which Guinevere allowed a slight smile to crease her muzzle. She gave him a nod of encouragement to confirm his inquiry.

"Yes, that's right. I myself prefer something lighter, easier to move in, than say, your elder sister Teagan's ensemble. It seems to suit her just fine though, and that's great too.

For now, no decisions are required in regards to armor just yet. It should clear up what you might or might not need for protection later once you've smoothed out your fighting style."

He followed obediently from the confines of the armory out into the sunshine, where she requested him to choose between his shield or short sword to begin some basic forms.

Cedric did so after some consideration between the two, taking up a position opposite of her so they could commence in a slowed down version of a spar she might have with an older member.

His question coaxed another shift to her lips, pleased he would assume as much. "It is, yes. Posture can even foretell whether you'll win a fight," she paused to sidestep the arch of his swing, swiping her own weapon beneath his outstretched arm to graze the length of his side diagonally upward, toward the underarm, with its edge.

The Officer took care to not harm her apprentice by applying no force to it, should he not see her maneuver and readjust himself in time to avoid it.

"Or lose it," she concluded. During their slow motions she also made sure to keep an eye on his feet, the way he held his upper body and arms, even how he gripped the hilt in his dominant hand, just in case she needed to give those areas more attention on her own body so he'd be inclined to see it through his observation of her.

Casa di Cavalieri
Sworn
Amoris

POSTED: Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:25 am

OOC -Perhaps wrap up in a reply or two? :)

Wearing any sort of clothing felt a little lost on Cedric. His arctic coat grew thicker each day and he didn't see the reason behind hiding his fur away under cloth. It looked uncomfortable when the boy saw his siblings or others in clothing, not that Cedric would ever comment on their choices. He couldn't get what it was supposed to do, what purpose clothing had. Armour had the purpose of protection, and the fur-lined cloaks had the purpose of pride and ranking, but ordinary cloth just seemed so odd. But that was just Cedric opinion, he was still young and still new to life on two feet so perhaps in time his opinions would shape further.

Guin's smile, as they fought, confirmed Cedric's thoughts on posture. Of course it had to be important, just like the way one stood effected how they walked or what balance they had. In normal circumstances it probably wasn't deathly important to focus on where his feet were stepping, but Cedric could gather from watching his Mentor's movements and steps that in a fight it mean everything. One foot in the wrong place and you could fall over or be unable to avoid a strike from your opponent. Something then demonstrated as Guin avoided Cedric's attack with a simple sidestep before countering with a strike to his side. Cedric felt the blade ghost up his silvery white fur and pulled back to avoid the hit. The attack didn't hit, but Cedric gathered it probably wasn't meant to, though in real circumstances it would have hit true and no doubt injured him greatly. Guin worked to let Cedric watch her movements, and the boy quickly picked up on how his Mentor held herself and copied them. A thought caught Cedric's mind as he practised some more swings.

"But if the pack, or anyone in Casa was in danger," Cedric began, swing his blade forward and up towards Guinevere's midsection, "surely there's no way you can lose, even when hit." A thought only shared by a boy who'd never known injury before, or any amount of agony beyond his capabilities. Even when a church had collapsed onto Cedric and his milk sister, a heavy brick knocking his shoulder out of place and making his first shift even more uncomfortable, the boy had still got up and worked to get them both free, to make sure Naya couldn't get harmed. The idea of losing a battle when his family was in harms way felt foreign to Cedric, just as it would for a boy who'd never tasted battle, or smelt his own blood.

Cedric Stryder
Casa di Cavalieri
First Cadet
Jazzy
Spotlight Soul Luperci

POSTED: Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:28 pm

Guinevere Callow-Knight

OOC Sounds good to me! // WC 466

Just like herself at his age, he seemed to have an instinct for combat, a talent for it. He grasped the way she moved and emulated it, fairly decently for one so new to the motions. Despite his ability to do as such, however, true knowledge of the forms would come with practice, the kind that would allow you to slip from one to the next with little to no thought.

He pulled back from her hit, though if this had been a real fight between enemies, or even a spar between equally matched packmates, there could have been anywhere between an irritating scratch to an almost mortal wound laid open along his side from such an attack.

They continued to trade such blows and swings in this manner, Cedric studying her movements and Guin occasionally exaggerating a particular step or motion of her weapon so he might pick it up easier, though only by a margin. He had an observant eye, this one, which she expected nothing less from a Stryder.

The pale boy began to voice a query as he made a swing up and forward to her midsection. Guinevere's ears twitched from the statement, having to control the sudden urge to smile wistfully coupled with a heavy sense of envy for his innocence.

The Callow-Knight didn't respond right away, instead taking the opportunity to redirect his blade with a slowed flick of her own, the metal blades coming together momentarily as a quiet clang erupted between them. She sidestepped his extended arm and drew in close, using her free arm to keep his weapon pushed away from her whilst her other pulled the short sword up between their bodies until the edge kissed the skin of his throat.

Ghostly green orbs met his gaze squarely, there depths unreadable. Dead, she told him impassively. The Officer didn't hold it long, only enough to declare her victory and then she backed off until a few feet separated them.

There are some hits you can't recover from, no matter how hard you'd like to do otherwise, her tail flicked and she took a side stance, lifting her sword to be at the ready once more. Standing in this way, the curved scar on her upper thigh came into a more obvious light, layered on top of the muscle she'd put on through training.

It's true, we can put ourselves through hell to ensure the safety of our loved ones. Our friends, family. The pack. However, she paused to initiate another swing of her own, stepping into it as she would, with her guard appropriately up, like in a proper fight. the body has physical limits that it cannot surpass, no matter how much training we strive to endure.

Casa di Cavalieri
Sworn
Amoris

Casa di Cavalieri