Grapefruit Sky

POSTED: Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:20 am

Set just after dawn at the Fort's north stable.

Nayavota woke at the crack of dawn. Her furs were warm and soft, beckoning her back to dreamland, but Nayavota resisted. Blinking the sleep from her eyes, she stretched and rolled her way to wakefulness. If she hurried, maybe she’d make it to the stables before they let the horses out.

Slivers of light streamed into the warm, dark wetu. Mama and Papa were still in bed—awake, but resting. Nayavota grabbed her walking stick, bade them farewell, and stepped out into the morning air.

The dawn-lit sky glowed with color, illuminating the camp. A cool breeze cut through the morning mist, tousling Nayavota’s fur. Her older siblings were already up and tending to the animals scattered around the camp. She offered Qyska an affectionate headbutt and prodded Honrin with her cane. He trapped Nayavota in a retaliatory bear hug, only letting go when her squeals of laughter turned to breathless wheezing. She darted off before he could catch her again, disappearing into the treeline.

Nayavota stopped to catch her breath, still giggling. Birds flitted from branch to branch overhead, filling the canopy with wingbeats and birdsong. Animals skittered, unseen, through the undergrowth around her. After a moment, Nayavota continued on toward the Fort.

The forest thinned as she approached her destination. Soon, the tall, stone walls of Fort Kingsbury loomed over her. Nayavota saluted Howland as she limped past—he had to smile eventually.

Nayavota made her way over to the stables, greeting the horses with a sharp whistle and an exaggerated wave. Ducking into the north stable’s storage room, she emerged with a sack full of treats. Nayavota passed by the more ornery horses in favor of hand-feeding the sweet ones.

Nayavota stopped and lingered in front of Tupelo’s stall. She pulled a treat from the bag and offered it to the large, cream and white mare. Tupelo nickered eagerly, wrapping her lips around the treat in Nayavota’s hand. It was no secret that, out of Casa’s communal horses, Tupelo was Nayavota’s favorite. The older mare was gentle, but spirited. Nayavota had never ridden a horse before, though Honrin kept promising he’d teach her. Maybe, one day, she could ride Tupelo.
Casa di Cavalieri
Reticent
Alexander
Luperci

POSTED: Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:15 pm

OOC -Hello hello! Hope you don't mind Ceddy hopping in!

If I can live through this, I can do anything

As customary to a habit Cedric hoped he could keep; the boy was up early. Cedric wouldn't call them nightmares, because they didn't stir him awake with shivers of fear or by catching his breath. But he was experiencing uncomfortable dreams of late. All about that black wolf, the one that attacked him in Halifax. The one that left the boy of only just beyond a half year old with scars across his face and side. They'd healed to a point that Cedric didn't feel them itch as much, but he still needed to wear bandages and apply a cream, to ensure they didn't become infected and flare up. It all felt like an nuisance, but at least the boy was out working and training again. In all honesty it wasn't the scars that caused Cedric's bad dreams, it was the event in general. The young Stryder's first real fight, ending badly and almost fatally if it wasn't for Isaac's presence. In the boy's dreams, he'd relive the attack, every time having it change slightly so that he received a mortal wound, or that Isaac would get hurt instead, all things that troubled Cedric. He wanted to be strong enough to avoid situations like that, and not play the part of a helpless pup.

The frustrating dreams caused Cedric to wake early, but he didn't mind. It gave him more time to clear his head before focusing on his morning exercises. The only one complaining was Nora, who's eyes fluttered open as Cedric got himself ready and replaced his bandages. Cedric almost smirked as he heard his sister mutter something under her breath before rolling over to try and get some more rest, and gave her a joking, "Good morning to you too," before leaving the room.

It didn't take long to decide where to head to, Cedric was spending a lot of his mornings there ever since his father took him out for some rides. Cedric was eager to help out in the stables, feeling like it was a good payment for letting the boy learn to right, as well as a way to connect better with the gentle beasts. The boy smiled as he found a particular stable, looking over to see a rising light brown horse. "Hello, Buckeye, sleep well?" Cedric called into the room. The horse snorted as it recognised the voice, and came closer to inspect Cedric. The boy chuckled slightly as the horse nuzzled at his bandaged cheek, communicating without words it's concern. "They're healing well, don't worry."

Just before the snowy boy could ask the horse if it wanted a stretch, he heard another voice from down the stables. Cedric smiled softly towards the form of his milk sister, still getting used to seeing her walk upright like he did. Giving Buckeye a pat on the nose, Cedric made his way over. "Naya, you're up early." The boy commented.

Lovely Avatar by Lin, and Lovely Signature by Libri!
Casa di Cavalieri
Candid
Jazzy
Luperci

POSTED: Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:12 pm

Scratching Tupelo’s neck, Nayavota asked, ”Where’d you come from, anyway?” It was an odd thought, but one worth musing on. Was Tupelo born in Casa or an allied pack? Did the Cavaliers trade for her or was she a gift? Nayavota would have to ask the stable master. Aniki would know, or at least know who to ask.

Before Nayavota could track the stable master down, a familiar voice caught her attention. She turned to see her milk brother—bandaged, but recovering—coming to a stop beside her. Nayavota was so focused on Tupelo that she hadn’t noticed him. ”So are you,” she replied with a smile, patting Tupelo’s pale nose. The mare snorted softly and leaned into the silver girl’s hand.

”I like visiting da horses in da morning,” Nayavota said, turning to tap Cedric with her walking stick, ”What’s your excuse?” Despite all of Nayavota’s quirks and maladies, she wasn’t blind; not yet, anyway. She knew her milk brother was still struggling, both physically and emotionally, after being attacked in Halifax. It worried her, but she didn’t know how to help.

Nayavota’s brow furrowed. ”Are you supposed to be running around yet?” she asked, her concern getting the better of her. The tiny girl, taking after Mama and Aunt Veri, had a bad habit of mothering her milk siblings. Nayavota took being older very seriously, at least when it was convenient.
Casa di Cavalieri
Reticent
Alexander
Luperci

POSTED: Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:11 pm

OOC -stuff here

It was hard at times to remember that Naya wasn't his actual sister, but Cedric didn't see why blood needed to be a reason not to see her as a sibling. He cared for her just as much as Nora, and he was just as protective of her as any brother would be. It was the boy's innate politeness that kept him from frequently staring at his sister's strange foot. When Cedric was a pup, he'd been curious enough to ask what was wrong with it to the adults. They'd explained that Cedric's milk sister was just a little different, but they had to reassure the caring boy that Naya wasn't injured or in pain before he started panicking and worrying even more. Now Cedric just saw it as something Naya had, just like the Stryder's older brother's limp. Occasionally Cedric's fur would flare and he'd offer help out of concern, but most of the time he tried to respect their independence just like he expected others to respect his.

Of course, if Cedric's independence had been respected, then he'd have travelled to Halifax alone, and the outcome would have been much more bleak. But the boy supposed there was always going to be pros and cons to every decision. Cedric smiled softly to Naya, "Much the same. My father's been taking me out for rides, so I've spending a lot of time with Buckeye over there." The boy gestured back towards the fair coloured horse's stable. "I like to come out early to see if any of the stable hands need any help, or see if Buckeye wants to go out somewhere."

Hypocritical as it was, Cedric flinched when Naya asked him if he was in a good enough condition. The boy hated being treated like he was fragile, the kind of care and concern he gave to others felt uncomfortable when flipped back to him. He didn't want to look or feel weak, and it made him defensive when others brought it up. So Cedric didn't mean to sound so snappy when he responded, "Yes I can run around, and ride, and even train. I'm fine." The boy winced, flashing his teeth as he regretted his tone. "Sorry... they're just taking a while to heal. I really am fine." Unable to look to his sister's blue eyes, Cedric instead looked towards the nearest horse. "Have you ridden any yet?" He asked, wanting to drag them away from the uncomfortable conversation.

Casa di Cavalieri
Candid
Jazzy
Luperci

POSTED: Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:05 am

Nayavota resisted the urge to stare at Cedric’s bandages. Her milk brother seemed invincible, but she knew better. Monsters lurked beyond Casa’s borders. A fire-eyed beast prowled the shadows of Halifax. If it wasn’t for Isaac, Cedric could have been killed. The ruined city was too close for comfort—what else hid among its broken stones? Nayavota didn’t want to find out.

Cedric’s voice pulled the silver girl from her thoughts. Nayavota tended to her family’s horses, but she’d never ridden one. She could only spoil the Wolfe-Denahlii herd so much; the communal stables were a nice change of pace. ”I sneak dem treats when da stable hands aren’t looking,” she said, flashing Cedric a mischievous grin. Tupelo rested her large, pale head on Nayavota’s shoulder and snorted into her fur. The way to a horse’s heart was through its stomach.

Nayavota recoiled from Cedric’s outburst. ”It’s-It’s okay,” she said, smiling despite her nerves. ”You better be fine,” she teased, poking him with her walking stick. As worried as Nayavota was, she knew Cedric could take care of himself. He was a strong, independent Knight; he’d recover.

Cedric changed the subject, returning the conversation to lighter, horsier matters. Despite Tupelo’s protest, Nayavota pushed the mare’s head off her shoulder.”Not yet,” she said, stepping away from Tupelo’s stall, ”but Honrin said he’d teach me.”
Casa di Cavalieri
Reticent
Alexander
Luperci

POSTED: Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:22 pm

OOC -stuff here

Cedric wasn't the strict type, he was lawful but he wasn't all about stripping others from what they enjoyed just because it might be cheeky or silly. Besides, sneaking treats to horses and having fun was just part of Naya, it was her way. And Cedric adored his milk sister, like all his siblings, asking her to be anything but herself was wrong. The boy would only ever feel a need to step in if his sister was doing anything dangerous, something that made the young Stryder protective. He wondered if he'd become even more protective now that he knew what kind of things lurked out in neutral lands, the idea of seeing Naya or Nora in the Halifax encounter left Cedric feeling even more stressed. He'd just have to work harder once these bandages were off, then he could protect his family from those lurking shadows and villainous figures.

Cedric really didn't mean to snap, it made him feel awful when he got angry, especially towards the likes of his sisters. So the boy lowered his posture, drawing his ears back in rare submissiveness. "I will be, I promise." He replied much more gently. He wouldn't mention the bad dreams, they didn't bother him much and they shouldn't become a bother for anyone else either.

The boy nodded, "Honrin is a good teacher," Cedric commented, thinking of the very similar looking older brother of Naya with a respectable fondness. "He taught me to fish to keep me busy whilst healing, I'm sure he'll teach you to ride perfectly. Perhaps after that, you and I can race around Casa." The boy ended with a tiny smirk.

Casa di Cavalieri
Candid
Jazzy
Luperci

Casa di Cavalieri