Practice Makes Perfect

Night

POSTED: Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:41 am

Lycidas knew little to nothing about combat, and every time he had asked his father about it he was met with a disgruntled dismissal. His father had later told him that he would much rather see his son stay away from trouble, and live his life the rest of his life at home. Though, his father knew that he would leave eventually. He would have asked his mother how to fight, but she could only teach him how to fight in his lupus form considering that she was non-Luperci. She did tell him a little about her experiences with battle, but did not go into depth. He knew the possible outcomes of combat- that was all.

One of the things that had intrigued him was also one of the things that he was least experienced about, so it came to no surprise that he agreed to start his training as soon as possible. With little time to settle in, or to adjust to the pack life, he looked a little lost as he stood awkwardly near a wooden sword display stand. He had waken up extra early just to be sure that he wasn't late to the training session. It didn't take him as much time as he thought it would for him to find the training grounds, so naturally he was impressed with himself. The only downside? He had to wait for Night to show up.

He cleared his throat as he directed his attention onto the wooden swords, carefully extending his hand out to take a handle into his palm. He was very excited, and could barely wait on the female before he pulled the sword from the display. His posture and expression could definitely reflect his feelings of awkwardness, and impatience, but he was far from upset with having to wait. In fact, he found it a little more relieving that he was the one that showed up first.
Casa di Cavalieri
Recruit
Kai

POSTED: Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:09 pm

It's always darkest before the Dawn.

The family seemed to have a new member in their little clan, another boy her mother had brought home. He was young, close to her age but probably even closer to Day’s age. He was nice enough whenever she did talk to him, though she honestly didn’t know all that much about him. He did seem eager to settle into life in Casa though and begin training. Interested to see what he could do, and to also try her hand at teaching, the dark girl offered to give him his first lesson.

Like always, Night had woken before everyone else in their room, before the sun even began to rise, and headed out for her morning run. She had gotten this daily routine down. Unfortunately, she hadn’t given Lycidas a time to meet her, or really even shown him where the training rings were. Once she had finished with her run and headed back to the room to get the boy, she found he had already left. Curious, she headed down to the training ring, spotting him there.

With a small smile on her face, she approached the fence that surrounded the ring, watching as he picked up one of the wooden training swords, examining it. He certainly seemed unsure of himself as he looked over the weapon, but the dark fae hoped to change that. In one swift motion, Night hoisted herself over the fence, closing the distance between them. Sorry for the wait. Didn’t think you’d be down here already. Moving to his side, she reached out to collect a wooden sword as well. So, this is your very first lesson right? You don’t have any experience with weapons yet? She twirled the wooden weapon in her hand, feeling how much lighter it was than her axe. Do you think you’d want to work with a sword? Or would you prefer something else like a bow or even just hand to hand combat? There are all sorts of ways to fight, just depends what you are most comfortable with and what your preference is.

ooc | [wc —326] template by hilli
Casa di Cavalieri
First Cadet
Shade

POSTED: Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:46 pm

The male had been listening to her footsteps as she approached, however, he didn't look up until she had hoisted herself over the fence. He returned the smile as he caught a glimpse of it, lowering the wooden sword down to his side. He was very untrained with the weapon as shown by his awkward way of holding the sword, pointed toward the ground, and hanging loosely from his fingertips. He seemed less confident as she landed evenly on her feet, and although he didn't want to admit it, she had easily beaten him in terms of dexterity.

He offered a nod as she apologized, however, his attention seemed to be wrapped up in the way she twirled the sword. He inhaled deeply as she began to ask him questions, "Yes, this would be my first lesson, and, uh... No. I don't know anything about weapons." That was more than embarrassing for the male to admit. He looked away from her as his ears shifted back in shame, something he seemed to have no control over. She had then offered him a variety of ways he could fight, and he seemed to relax.

"I was thinking that we could begin with swordplay," He returned his gaze to her as his ears perked forward with interest. "Then maybe unarmed combat? I'm not really sure what to begin with. I'm also not entirely sure where I am more gifted. But, I guess that is why we are here." He couldn't help but grin widely as he the excitement shot through him- Finally! He was going to be learning how to fight. And his trainer?! Someone who seemed to be very, very flexible and quick! The only downside? He didn't know where to start, or how to begin.

"What do you recommend?" He asked.
Casa di Cavalieri
Recruit
Kai

POSTED: Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:11 pm

The dark fae was happy to see how eager the slightly younger male was to start up training. Reminded her slightly of her first training session with Jace. Of course, Jace was a much tougher trainer than the young Hushhowl would be. There wasn't ever much room for error in her former mentors mind. There's no reason to be embarrassed about this being your first lesson. Everyone has to start at the beginning. She tried to offer some comforting words of encouragement, hoping to ease his nerves at least slightly.

Night listened to Lycidas, taking note that he clearly seemed interested in swordsmanship, keen to start working on that first. He questioned the girl, asking what she recommended for him and she simply shrugged her shoulders. It honestly is up to you. So long as you aren't swinging around a bladed weapon right off the bat you shouldn't hurt yourself too bad. I started out with hand-to-hand combat, training with that before moving on to weapons, but starting off with a practice sword really isn't a bad option either. The Hushhowl girl glanced down between the wooden weapons in each of their hands before her green gaze locked onto his. I mean, we already have these out and ready. Might as well start with swords. Mom might have been a better teacher for this, twin blades are her weapon of choice. I'll do my best to teach you well though. A bright smile spread across her lips as she moved a bit more into the center of the ring. Let's start with your stance first. Stand beside me and try to mimic my stance and I'll make corrections where I see it's needed. Night was quick to fall into a ready stance, feet a good distance apart, body turned slightly to the side as she held the wooden sword out in front of her. Her emerald gaze fell upon her companion, waiting for him to be ready.
Casa di Cavalieri
First Cadet
Shade

POSTED: Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:23 am

Although the female's words rendered true, that everyone had to start somewhere, he still couldn't help but feel at least somewhat embarrassed. At least he was training now, and that is all that mattered. He offered her a quick nod as she attempted to ease his nerves before moving onto the subject itself. He took note that she had started off with hand-to-hand combat, but that they might as well start with the wooden weapons since they had already been prepared with them. He also noted that her mother was likely the better teacher for bladed weapons, but that the girl was going to try anyway. He admired that, but didn't really have much time to think on it before she began to instruct him.

He couldn't help but smile as she moved near the center, a smile washing over her own features. He was instructed to stand beside her so that he could mimic the way that she held the weapon, and he was quick to respond as he joined her side. He watched her eagerly. "So, you just," He placed his feet in a similar position, twisting slightly so that the sword could be held out in front of him. "Like that?" However, his posture was weak. He held the sword a bit too low. He looked over to her to check on her stance, and he noticed it was a little different than his own. He glanced back to the wooden sword in his hand and raised it slightly more until it was close enough to her own stance. He also re-positioned his feet a bit.
Casa di Cavalieri
Recruit
Kai

POSTED: Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:28 pm

The dark fae was quick to fall into a ready stance, something she was well-versed in at this point. Granted, her own stance was usually a little different seeing as she more often fought hand-to-hand or with her axe. Still, the basic stance was the same with only slight variations depending on what weapon was being used. Green eyes followed the boy as he moved to stand beside her, taking up a ready stance, and trying to mimic her own positioning just as instructed.

A smile crept onto her lips as she watched him reposition his feet after comparing his own stance to hers. He certainly seemed eager to learn and make improvements, which was always a good thing when learning how to fight. No matter the level of skill, there was always room for improvement. At his question, she moved closer to him, placing a hand on his chest and the other on his back, gently guiding him into a proper position. Straighten up a bit more and don't be so stiff. You want to be able to move at a moments notice. She moved to touch his arm, guiding him to bend at the elbow ever so slightly before she used her foot to nudge his own foot, widening his stance just a tad more. Bend at the knee a little, you'll wanna be light on your feet. Over-all though, not bad for your first time. Once again, she fell into position, but this time she stood before him, wooden sword pointed at him. Now lets see what you've got for strength. Take a swing at me. A smirk tugged at one corner of her lips, waiting to see if he would hold back or if he would actually go for a real swing.
Casa di Cavalieri
First Cadet
Shade

Casa di Cavalieri