Shipoopi: the girl who's hard to get

p. Howland

POSTED: Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:26 am

make the night as bright as day

Aldora was sitting in the gardens, her paws dangling over the side of the burm through which the Fort’s small stream flowed, dipping her toes in the cool water. The heat of the summer was upon them, and while not completely unbearable, she was not as comfortable as in the winter. Her fur had shed over the course of the last couple weeks, and now she was sleek and looking much thinner than normal.

Finding herself with some free time, she had come to the gardens to relax and to redo the binding on her broken tail. It was a sad thing, seeing that kink there that would most likely be with her for the rest of her life; she didn’t mind it too much though, and binding it seemed to help it from getting worse than it was. Because she kept it wrapped tightly though, the fur there had nearly been rubbed completely away, making it look very odd when it was uncovered, almost like a cow’s tail.

As she wrapped, she hummed softly to herself, a habit she had formed since pup-hood. She hadn't sung for others recently, not since her mother’s death, but that was alright; sometimes there was just not enough joy in her to find the music. With a sigh, she dipped some of the supple leather strap into the water to make it more pliable before continuing on her deliberate motion around her tail.

Crap post is crap || +0

Casa di Cavalieri
Valiant
Nat
Luperci Artisan (Vocals), Hunter goose slayer

POSTED: Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:47 am

Word Count → 293 :: OOC So awk.

The last time he had seen her framed in soft greens was at the ball, too many months ago. Howland wasn't even supposed to be there, but somehow, some way, he had reached deep within and found that warrior's courage. A warrior's courage was usually useless in these matters, but at least it kept him plodding on simply for fear of the shame of never trying. After her mother died, though, he gave her space. One cannot grieve properly if they are distracted by more trivial matters. Problem was, he couldn't figure out how to sidle back into her life after that.

Well, it looks like life had just done that for him. No work to be done on his part, don't even need to leave a tip for the maid. There she was, her rich, silk chocolate pelt an earthen contrast to the verdant wildflower shrubs which sprouted in the Casa gardens, her backdrop peppered with the colorful heads of blooming flowers.

Aldora, her name flew from his lips as a not-so-smooth, choked noise. Between that and the surprised look on his face, one might think he was happening upon a mortal enemy rather than someone whom he once had burgeoning feelings for. He did not recover well. His yellow eyes were large and he stared at her for a minute, and then started to turn as if to go, and then turned back, and then choked a little on his tightening throat when he gestured toward her tail and said, What happened to you? There was a flash of outrage etched on his features, which could have been interpreted any such way, but was, in fact, the outrage that any thing on this sole planet should dare to harm his Aldora.

Let us, while willing yet for peace - Still keep our valor high
So when our time of battle comes - We shall not fear to die

Template by Kitty. Edits by Nuki. Image from DepositPhotos.

Casa di Cavalieri
First Officer
♞ Nukiira ♞
Luperci Guardsman

POSTED: Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:05 pm

She had just finished with her tail, the remaining length of the leather tied into a neat bow, when Howland appeared suddenly, as if he had materialized out of thin air, or had been hiding in the bushes.

Aldora sat up straight, her ears erect and turned at him. He bumbled into her space, all nerves and stuttered words. She had found it endearing once, but now… well things were different now, she was different, harsher. His little blushing quirks were no longer amusing to her.

But still, when he said her name with that soft, deep voice of his, her heart beat quickened. He seemed unsure of whether he should just greet her and leave, or stay and talk to her. But then, his yellow gaze found her tail, and anger flashed there as he asked her what had happened.

She was dumbfounded for a moment; had he really removed himself from her life so much as to not have noticed this until now? The skin under her cheek fur burned hot, I’ve had this for months! She exclaimed, pulling her feet up from the water and turning her body to face him fully, Arlen broke my tail saving me from flinging myself off the cliffs like my mother had done. Her voice choked up slightly at that, but then her brow furrowed and she turned away to glower at the glittering stream, Guess having a broken tail is better than dying… it had been a shame for her, at the time of injury, to only have received this slight to her visage, where her mother had lost it all. Why was Arlen able to save her life, but her own father couldn’t save Veyra?

Wait, where had that come from?

She was surprise at herself, and suddenly ashamed to have thought of her father in such a way. What happened to Veyra… it was just an accident…

OOC || +3

Casa di Cavalieri
Valiant
Nat

POSTED: Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:14 am

Word Count → 3+ :: OOC

An electric spark livened the atmosphere, like a tangible thing that Howland could reach out and touch. But it wasn't. It was just Aldora's anger.

The moment the words left her maw his own dropped open in the silent gasp of a man who realized... he done fucked up. He knew little about women. After Veyra's tragic death, he assumed Aldora would need her space and time to mourn, and the last thing she would need was a socially awkward guard trying to court her. So he had done so, like it was just another one of his duties, he had left Aldora alone. Too alone, probably. The general buzz within the pack was that she was okay. It was hard to keep his distance so he threw himself into his work, and his goats, and his guard house, and other projects... Had he removed himself from her life too effectively?

Well no time to ruminate on that now. Aldora was in front of him, and she was fuming, and he made her that way.

I'm sorry, he said earnestly, but the words were weak. In a few wide strides he closed in the gap between the two of them, and knelt down on the ground in front of her, close enough for her to strike him if she felt so inclined. Aldora, I wanted to give you space. I didn't mean... I didn't mean to lose touch completely... But it looks like I did. He averted his gaze, like he was no longer worthy of gazing at an angel's visage.

His square jaw tightened with strain. It shouldn't have been Arlen there for you, it should have been me.... he peered at the water without seeing it. Arlen was a good man, but Howland could have saved her without hurting her, he knew it. I'm so sorry about what happened to your mother, and what happened to you. Sorries were worthless, and he didn't know what words to speak to undo her pain and anger. He stood to go.

Casa di Cavalieri
First Officer
♞ Nukiira ♞
Luperci Guardsman

POSTED: Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:24 pm

It was still strange for her, seeing Howland act this way. When she was a pup, he was already full-grown, and nothing less than a mountain to her. She had always considered him as part of Casa di Cavalieri’s unfailing strength; just as much part of the stone wall surrounding the Fort as any other. But now, he was so much different; but it had only been her that had changed; she now could see him through adult eyes, and he was just as much flawed as the rest of them.

He apologized for her tail, though he had no reason to, and then tried to explain why he had been absent. Her ears turned to point backwards, but her face belied her distaste of his explanation, and then, turned to anger once again at his insinuation that it should have been him at the cliffs with her and not Arlen, like that would have made any difference. A sharp canine tooth jutted past her dark lips, You aren’t my keeper, Howland. She said roughly, her throat betraying the harsh attitude she was trying to portray, Wouldn’t have mattered had been you, Arlen, my father, Luca himself – I tried to throw myself off that cliff, you know. I saw her there, in the beyond, calling me. She cut her words off short, and crossed her arms, and turned herself back towards the stream, her feet splashing back into the sparkling waters, It wouldn’t have mattered…

She sighed, suddenly so tired of being sad, so tired of being angry. After a moment, Aldora turned her violet gaze back at him, Why… why don’t you sit with me, for a moment. She said, patting the grass beside her with an offering of a truce. He didn't deserve it... but maybe she did.

OOC || +3

Casa di Cavalieri
Valiant
Nat

POSTED: Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:23 pm

Word Count → 400+ :: I seriously get the Shipoopi song stuck in my head every time I see this thread, and it pisses me off. :D

The guard just didn't seem to have the right words to say, and with each successive exchange he infuriated Aldora more and more. His eyes were wide, shock for her ire and shock for her tragedy. Again he thought about walking away, again he told himself he'd walked away from her enough. But she was right about one thing, he was not her keeper, and to say such things was to treat her like a child, or a woman whose only worth was to be possessed. Howland did not see women that way, not anymore.

What he needed to see, beyond her anger and her curtness, was her pain. Everything he had done since the day Veyra died was to avoid seeing her pain. He even wrapped it up in a tidy excuse, 'it's for her own good.' It was selfish.

At least he didn't have to stand there dumbly before too long before she changed her mind, allowed her choler to simmer down a bit, and offered him to sit next to her. The guard didn't miss a beat. Giving her no time to rescind her invitation, he swooped down next to her and gladly took the seat, though a moment later it was obvious he didn't know what to do with his hands. He stared at their reflection in the pool, twisting them together.

You have to share something of yourself, he thought silently. She is suffering alone. Maybe, if he could make her see that he understood. Not to compete with her sadness, but just to show that he actually could empathize, for all his stoic, quiet nature.

Somebody I... loved once... killed herself, the words flew from his maw as soon as he made the decision to tell her. He was quiet, kept his past closed, nobody knew anything of the man he was before coming to Casa. That just changed. Her name was Cavillaca. There's a nasty word for what she did... self-immolation... she wanted to atone for a... There was a long pause, and he screwed up his brow. Could he admit it out loud? Chivalrous, brave, righteous Howland? She wanted to atone for a crime we committed. She couldn't live with it, he wouldn't look at Aldora. He could be sealing his fate right now. She might never want to see him again. She was still alive when I pulled her out of the fire. Her wounds were too great, so I had to end her... I can't count the amount of times I thought I'd walk into the fire after her... I still think about it.

Casa di Cavalieri
First Officer
♞ Nukiira ♞
Luperci Guardsman

POSTED: Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:30 pm

The large guard was quick to take her invitation, as she knew he would be. It was obvious that he was still very infatuated with her, though maybe now he was not sure how to go about things. Aldora herself was unsure; was she ready for this? Had she ever been ready for this? When he had first begun to woo her, Aldora had been nearly oblivious; with time though, she recognized it for what it was… but that started a whole other mess of feelings.

How was it that others fell in love so easily? For Remus and Night it had been nearly instant, and when they were nothing but pups. Iorek and Riley were connected at the hip, and happy to be so. Jace and Temo, Kira and Abigail, her own mother and father… Aldora had so many examples of happy relationships about her, and yet all that seemed to unattainable to her.

Her thoughts were dispersed when Howland began to speak, and what he said shocked her. Purple gaze wide, Aldora stared at him as he revealed part of his past that she was not sure anyone in the pack knew of, she certainly hadn’t. A crime he committed? She could not fathom it, and something so heinous that his companion attempted to kill herself via fire, and when he couldn’t save her, he had to snuff out her life.

After he finished speaking, Aldora remained silent; what had he tried to accomplish by telling her this horrific story? Suddenly, Howland seemed so different to her; it frightened her. That feeling was at such odds with how she had felt about himself before that it turned her stomach. Was she to comfort him, or admonish him?

Before she could help it, her mouth open and she said, I’m sorry. and reached out to touch him on his arm, I can only imagine… and then suddenly, her fear and previous anxiety was gone. It was still Howland after-all; they all had darkness in their pasts, of course he would be no different.

OOC || +3

Casa di Cavalieri
Valiant
Nat

POSTED: Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:44 pm

Word Count → 300+ ::

His toes touched the cool waters of the still pool and send small rings through the water. He gazed at their reflection as it shimmered and waved beneath them, a momentary distraction in this tense second. But then Aldora's gentle touch was upon him, and his honey eyes pulled away from the water and peered at her hand first, and then at her face; the striking purple eyes on a bed of light crème. It felt better, that she felt for him, and did not push him away.

I know what grief can feel like, he explained. This is why he told her the story. It is different yet kindred for all of us. I cannot begin to know how it feels to you... but I know that sometimes it helps knowing somebody who has felt sorrow's touch.

A small smile came to his muzzle as he peered into her eyes. He brought up a hand to gently touch the strong line of her jaw, brushing it ever so lightly with his fingers. His gazes was locked with hers, I know now why pulling away from you was such a stupid thing to do... The words were ambiguous. He claimed that he was giving her time alone to grieve, but when one is grieving they need to know that they have support. They get to be the ones who say if they want you around or not, no other. And...

And it was also a mistake because he had missed a crucial turning point in Aldora. She had become a woman before returning from her trip at the beginning of the year, but something about the paces she had been put through since then... The touch of mortal life on your angelic soul... he crooned softly, words low and baritone. His hand caressed her cheek, the tips of his fingers brushed the wispy hair that framed her face. His tone dripped with admiration. ...it destroys most. I fear it has made your stronger. Then he leaned in and gently kissed the chestnut blaze in the center of her forehead.

[/quote]
Casa di Cavalieri
First Officer
♞ Nukiira ♞
Luperci Guardsman

POSTED: Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:20 am

She continued to gaze at him as he spoke about sorrow, about how it was familiar to everyone in its own way. Aldora felt comforted by this – for her, grief was loneliness and a renewed sense of duty, for her father it seemed to be anguish, tears, and brokenness. It was different for Howland, quiet and hidden; life was different for all of them, but they could all empathize.

When he mentioned pulling away from her, her ears flattened again, this time in surprise, and she became stiff as he touched her on her face. Once again, she was in that place where she was completely lost, completely out of her element. His words were like poetry, so much like the music she created. Something inside of her yearned to melt into him, as he placed a gentle lick on her forehead, but she was scared. This was all so new to her, even though she was well past the time in her life where this would have… should have been something she knew well.

She had to do something here, as he pulled away from her, she knew it. What would a normal woman do, with a strong man giving her this kind of attention? Should she play coy, and tease him? Or perhaps run away (that sounded nice) to have him pursue her further? But Howland had pursued her enough, and she had been coy in her own ways. Now was time for action.

And so, despite her mind screaming at her for her foolishness, Aldora reached out and grabbed Howland about the cheeks, and pulled him in roughly for a proper kiss, her muzzle on his. It was awkward and wet and Aldora’s heart was set to burst out of her chest, but something about it felt right.

What... what just happened? || +3

Casa di Cavalieri
Valiant
Nat

POSTED: Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:00 am

Word Count → 400+ ::

It happened the way these things do in real life. First, the hands on either side of his face surprised him and his honey-gold eyes nearly bulged with shock, then she pulled him to her and they collided (literally) in a kiss. In the fairy tales and poetry of old it would have been tender, warm... choreographed. But this was the real world, and Howland was as unsuspecting as Aldora was inexperienced, so when their faces smashed together there was a pain with that pleasure. His nose stung and his dark lip bumped a canine so hard he thought he might bleed, and then he thought he hoped that Aldora hadn't hurt herself, and then he thought about a hundred other thoughts in that split second before his subconscious and conscious caught up with one another and met about as sloppily as the kiss had started; both enjoying the moment while simultaneously casting a shadow over it as it ran through all the implications of the moment.

Ultimately, his man's instincts won over, though, and some of the shock of the kiss abated and he was able to relax, gently touching her cheek and twining his fingers in her hair. He kissed her back, of course, because this was what he wanted since the ball – and he did not care how inexperienced, or rough, or wet the kiss seemed, only pulling away as his passion mounted and threatened to take the moment into a rather... ungentlemanly zone.

Aldora, he whispered as he pulled back, lowering his forehead to gently touch hers. He felt a strange compulsion to thank her, which he swallowed. Don't be weird, Howland. he thought to himself. Somehow, his social awkwardness and her innocence in these matters complimented one another. He leaned back, eyes flicking to meet hers.

I'm sure it goes without saying, he gave a humorless grin and huffed at himself, but I would not want to presume anything. It would be my greatest honor, and pleasure, if you should allow me to court you. The corners of his eyes crinkled with the closed-mouth smile he gave her now; a smile that was both hopeful and self aware. After all, she could still turn him down.

But she was Aldora Knight; she deserved a real courtship, not this thing where he muddled around awkwardly and disappeared on her. He was not asking for exclusivity lest she wanted that. He was not asking for her hand... not yet, anyway. But it was more evident now than ever before that he may have a chance, and he was not about to let her slip through his fingers again.

Casa di Cavalieri
First Officer
♞ Nukiira ♞
Luperci Guardsman

Dead Topics