Heavy handed and light footed

For Starlight

POSTED: Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:18 pm

Not the snow not the rain can change my mind
The sun will come out, wait and see

OOC: Let me know if there is anything you want me to change. PP Ok? +300 words.

Nora had been very busy as of late. She should have known better when she had staked something on a bet with Aldora when it came to archery. She had probably had plans from the start to make it this way, but she couldn't be too mad at her teacher.

There was a reason she had made the wager that she did.

The tan girl felt like she was spending day in and day out doing nothing but hunting. Tedious to the end, but it served to sharpen her own skills. If she wanted to make sure that she could make up for what Aldora could usually do in the day, in the week come to think of it, then she would have to either continue until she was able to make a catch, or make sure that her aim was not off. Sometimes, she would only get one chance to catch something.

If the arrow was off even just off slightly, then she would lose what she had been stalking.

Nora had already been out today, lucky enough to make some kind of catch. She had brought it back to the Fort, taking care of it. She knew she would have to go back out hunting later, but at least there was some down time for now.

Green eyes shifted to see Rumpa. She had done well with what she had, but it was left to someone else to finish the rest of the work. She was quick to deal with her catch before returning to the darkened male, seeing if he was interested in spending some time together. They had been taking some of their down time to hang out more and more. It seemed now that his plans to the Court were no longer viable, he was more open to seeing about building their friendship.

She was open to this though. It was nice to have such a close friend, even if her family might not agree with her choice to do so.

Nora Knight

Casa di Cavalieri
First Officer
Salena
Luperci Hunter

POSTED: Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:21 pm

[317] • OOC Text

Star couldn't help but feel miffed about her situation. She spent hours upon hours each day dedicating herself to her studies yet she still felt like she was getting nowhere. No matter how hard she tried, she still couldn't win a spar with an adult cavalier. Not a fair one at least. She'd once managed to land her uncle onto his back using one of their wooden greatswords, but Star didn't really think that counted given his disability.

Feeling a little downcast by her ill-won gain, she was determined to try harder. Wooden sword in hand, the Fort's gate loomed high above her as she made her beeline towards the training ring. Absently, she looked up at the stables as she passed them. The sounds of the horses within them smelled warm and homey to the Hushhowl girl and she almost wished she could stop and spend time with them. But the First Blood was going to be in only a few short months...

No time to stop at the stables, she strode into the town square and made eye contact with the orange-eyed Nightshade man across the fountain. He stopped speaking with Nora and waived sheepishly at Starlight who approached them. She couldn't help but notice that he grew less and less comfortable with her as she grew older. Maybe it had something to do with the comments her uncle always made under his breath. Sometimes not so under his breath too.

Going training?" She nodded sharply and he pursed his lips, at a loss for more words. "Heard you judged a competition?" Another sharp nod. He rubbed the back of his neck and glanced to Nora for guidance. He missed how close he used to be with the Hushhowl children, but now that they were older they were far too distant for his liking. He just didn't know what else he could do.

Starlight Hushhowl

Casa di Cavalieri
Reticent
Kris
Luperci Top Poster

POSTED: Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:55 pm

OOC: +200 words.

Nora felt happy to have someone that she could feel so close to, at least someone that was not a part of her family. There were so many in Casa, though perhaps it was the fault of her more exploration oriented tendencies that kept her from making friends. Rumpa had been her first one, since she had stood up to her brother for his rude comments against the dark male. Arlen had been doing nothing but making the situation worse, and he had to stop.

It had never been fair to assume the child to be so much like the father that had tore many of them apart.

Green gaze moved up when Rumpa's head turned, a familiar dark figure heading towards both of them. It was Starlight. She had been present at the competition between herself and Aldora, each trying to get the most amount of points when it came to shooting arrows. She had barely lost to Aldora's bulls-eye, but she assured the older woman that the next time around, she would be the one winning.

The dark female came closer to the pair, turning her attention on Rumpa as he began to ask her questions. She gave no answer, choosing to answer silently. She knew nothing about the tension that was present between the two of them, and as such, when his gaze shifted over to her, she was left with much to offer him.

Trying to do her best, she chimed in to add onto the silent answer, "Yeah, she judged an archery competition between me and Aldora. I almost beat her." Her head turned to Starlight, "Who are you going to train with Starlight?"

Nora Knight

Casa di Cavalieri
First Officer
Salena
Luperci Hunter

POSTED: Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:10 pm

[239] • OOC Text

Rumpa sighed a breath of relief when Nora took over the conversation, driving it somewhere where surely Star /had/ to give some kind of vocal response. His red eyes glanced over his companion's carmel colored face and into the distance. His mind drifted to projects unfinished while his ears waited to hear the sound of Star's voice... only to fall short. Confused he turned around.

Star had heard Nora loud and clear, but in true form, she simply shrugged as a response. She hadn't quite planned on sparring per se. She was just going to go, see who was there, and then make something up. Realizing that Rum was staring, she supplemented "Whoever happens to be there, I guess."

The training ring was usually populated by at least two other people at a time. It wasn't exactly a steep bet she was making, but as Rum craned his neck to look over her shoulder, she couldn't help but wonder. "Uh, Starlight," he grimaced. "I don't think there's anyone there right now."

Star turned to look. Sighing, she threw the wooden sword into her shoulder and put a free hand in her hip, growling softly to herself. This is just what she got for assuming. The Husshowl rolled her eyes and pointed her sword at her old reading tutor. "You wanna go?"

Rumpa looked to Nora for help. He couldn't. He'd sworn against it. Nora knew. Nora would save him.

Starlight Hushhowl

Casa di Cavalieri
Reticent
Kris
Luperci Top Poster

POSTED: Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:33 pm

OOC: +300 words.

Nora had been patient, though she could not help but feel the weight of the tension that was coming from both Rumpa and Starlight. How she wished she knew what was really going on here, so she could actually help her friend... It would have to be something the two of them would be able to talk about later on. Maybe once she had a better understanding, she could help him rathar than just look as clueless as he had.

Green gaze shifted back over to the Hushhowl, first only offering a shrug as a response, but soon spoke more after she had noticed the second gaze that was upon her. She admitted that she was going to train with whomever was at the training grounds. While she had no doubt that there would be others there, such a thing was better to arrange with someone else rather than leave to chance...

She had done that with her brother, and it worked out well for both of them.

It wasn't until the male spoke up again that things started to get worse again. It didn't seem like Rumpa was intentionally trying to make her anger rise up, but that was what came across, her wooden sword turned on the dark man. Once again, he had looked over to her for help. She knew of Rumpa's desire for something other than fighting, his want to pursue something else in life.

She needed to step in now before things only spiraled from here.

Hopping up from her seat, she made her way over to the wooden sword, pushing one hand down against it to get it pointed at the ground, "There's no need for that Starlight. If it'll make you feel better, I'll come with you and we can train together. I don't think Rumpa would mind if I took a short time to do so." At least it would help to put some distance between the two of them.

Nora Knight

Casa di Cavalieri
First Officer
Salena
Luperci Hunter

POSTED: Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:03 pm

[227] • OOC Text

No need for what? "Um, sure." Star's face remained gruff, but she returned the fake sword to its place on her shoulder and nodded a goodbye to Rum. She wasn't entirely certain why Rumpa couldn't do it. She'd enjoyed spending time with him as a child, but perhaps he just had better things to do than to humor a child like he used to. Generally speaking, most people gained responsibilities as they grew older. Her uncle being the exception.

Star turned without waiting for Nora and began slowly walking towards the training ring at a pace that would allow her aunt to catch up without problem. This gave chance for Rumpa to lean close and whisper his gratitude towards her. He smiled, gripped her upper arm, and passed on towards the shop where he worked with Darius. "Have fun!"

Whenever Nora caught up, whether it was en route or at the ring itself, Star would turn and pause. "So what kind of training?" She'd brought the sword, but obviously that wasn't necessary for most kinds of training. "Got any pointers for the First Blood?" It was far off, she knew, but she could feel the seconds ticking away from her. She was determined to pass. There was no way someone from a family as full of fighters as her could start out as a recruit. No chance.

Starlight Hushhowl

Casa di Cavalieri
Reticent
Kris
Luperci Top Poster

POSTED: Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:35 pm

Nora watched Starlight carefully. It seemed to her offer, the darker woman had lowered her weapon, placing it back along her shoulder before she gave a nod to Rumpa. She had already turned on her heels and began to make her way towards the ring, whether the older girl was ready to tag along with her or not.

Green gaze turned back over to her friend as he got up, whispered his gratitude, and then went on his way to the workshop. She watched him head off, offering a wave as she called back to him, "You have fun too. I'll catch up with you later." Once he was a good distance away, she turned on her feet, picking up the pace so that she could make it back up with Starlight.

She hadn't gotten too far ahead of her aunt, stopping and turning when the tan one had come to join her again. It wouldn't take them long to get to the ring, but it would help for them to talk along the way.

Nora couldn't help but give a small chuckle at one of Starlight's questions. Her answer was so simple in a way, "Do better than me. I failed my First Blood." Brushing off the lightness of her answer, she turned on a more serious tone as they came closer. Her smile had not faded, thinking more on it, "Well, the first blood is for close combat weapons. If you are comfortable using something like that we could test that out. You'll probably be able to get the upper hand on me. I've never really picked up a sword before. I much prefer a bow."

As the ring came in sight, she turned away, "I'm not sure if there's another wooden one here I could use. If all else fails we could try the other option that is open for the First Blood."

Nora Knight

Casa di Cavalieri
First Officer
Salena
Luperci Hunter

POSTED: Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:48 pm

[237] • OOC Text

"You failed?" Star couldn't keep the volume out of her voice. How could the daughter of the Lune and Sola, nursed by warrior Jace herself, fail her First Blood? The closed minded Hushhowl couldn't wrap her head around it. "Who was your mentor who let you down like that?"

Surely it couldn't have been Nora's lack of skill or will to have failed her at the competition. It had to have been some other person's fault. Had to.

Star shook her head, yellow-green eyes still wide with disbelief. She let out a deep sigh and shook her head, trying to clear the thought from her mind. If someone as set up for success as Nora had failed, what chance did she have for her own?

Glad for Nora to change the subject, Star scanned the ring. "I don't see one around here..." It was a shame, she didn't feel like smacking her aunt around with a stick. If that was what they were going to do, Starlight could have just stuck to a dummy instead of dragging someone else into it.

While looking, a thought popped into her head. "What about Rumpa? Did he fail too? Is that why Uncle doesn't like him?" It was rare that the girl be inquisitive about people, but Nora had her wondering just what her chances of success were in the biggest milestone of her life.

"Other option?"

Starlight Hushhowl

Casa di Cavalieri
Reticent
Kris
Luperci Top Poster

POSTED: Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:36 pm

Nora's gaze turned on the dark girl when her voice rose up. Guess to the younger members of Casa, it would come as a shock that she had failed her First Blood. Even though that had been the case, it had never stopped her from climbing higher in the ranks. She had become a Second Officer. She was at the same position as her sister, and she was only one behind her brother, the one she looked up to so much.

She knew she could never compare to Cedric, but how nice it would feel to be able to stand side by side.

She couldn't just leave her questions unanswered though. She gave a soft sigh before nodding, "Yes, I did. Arlen was my mentor, but it's not his fault I failed. I spent far more time exploring than I did training. I failed because of my own fault." Her mentor had done everything he could to make sure that she would be ready, but what could he do when the one he was supposed to be mentoring was no where around?

It was a shame that there wasn't another false weapon around that she could use. Maybe it would have been nice to learned something more close combat, but that was just the way things are. The only other option was to make their way back to the Courthouse to grab a spare one. No doubt Starlight wasn't going to want to do that when they were already here.

Head turned over her shoulder at the mention of Rumpa. Nora had paused for a moment, thinking on things before she shook her head, "I'm not sure if he did or not, and no, that's not the reason why Arlen hates him. Arlen hates Rumpa because of his Dad, and it constantly antagonizing him." She recalled back to when they had all been in the same space in the Courthouse. He had acted so unjust and unfair towards Rumpa. She hoped it was at least better than how it had been before.

The tan girl soon stood up, moving one hand out, "Well, the first blood is for close ranged weapon combat or tooth and claw. That's always an option."

Nora Knight

Casa di Cavalieri
First Officer
Salena
Luperci Hunter

POSTED: Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:01 am

[250] • OOC Text

Star knew better than to say aloud, but her opinion of her uncle was far from stellar. It didn't take much imagining to see how such a mentor could rob a girl of her win, even if said girl didn't know it. Nora had had all the potential in the world, she just needed guidance that that drunkard just couldn't give her. It was a downright shame, but it was clear that Nora was already on an upward trajectory. Perhaps it was just no harm no foul, this time at least.

Speaking of, the more she heard about her flippant uncle, the less she liked. In person, he was loud and obnoxious but he served a purpose. Without him being physically present to remind her of their familial bond though, it became increasingly harder for Starlight to view him as a worthwhile cavalier. "Sounds petty if you ask me."

The conversation turned towards something far more intriguing to the Hushhowl: fighting. "Yeah, Aldora mentioned it." Star was fond of her heavy hitting swords. She and her family could be fully capable of fighting barehanded, but for something as important as this up and coming event she wanted a little flair.

"But if I'm planning on using a sword in my First Blood is there a point to learn anything else right now?" Star was a one track mind kind of gal. She had issues seeing between the black and white or beyond what was right in front of her face.

Starlight Hushhowl

Casa di Cavalieri
Reticent
Kris
Luperci Top Poster

Casa di Cavalieri