[M] Counting Sheep

p. Starlight

POSTED: Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:03 am

WARNING: This thread contains material exceeding the general board rating of PG-13. Detailed visuals on a sheep giving birth.

OOC || WC: +3

Late lambing was unusual for Casa’s herd of sheep, they typically kept with the seasonal mating, all giving birth in one go just before Spring, while snow still covered the ground. It was better that way, because as the lambs grew, spring began, and the herd got fat.

But one ewe-lamb, a first time mother, had entered into her first estrus in April; frisky little thing, she was now very pregnant and miserable in the summer heat. Aldora had been keeping her eye on the girl, ever vigilant now when it came to livestock pregnancy. She had a feeling it was going to be a multiple birthing, as the ewe-lamb was as wide as the barn it seemed.

Today was the day; the sheep was showing signs of labor, a thin line of mucus hung from her backside and she was pacing. Once it began, it might be done in just a minute, or, Aldora would need to help; it was not unusual to have to turn the lamb inside the mother, to ensure it came out at a good angle. The pack advisor felt this might be a good learning experience for her ward, so she lifted her muzzle to the sky and let out a low level howl for Starlight.

The training with the Hushhowl girl was coming to an end; Aldora had done her best, but it was clear that Star had strengths and interests that were not in line with the Knight’s prowess. She had taught her how to hunt, they had had a few practice sessions with the bow, but Starlight preferred the sword. The young woman also had a sharp mind, one that kept her tongue in check; she was quiet, reserved, and cunning. Aldora knew she would do well in all her endeavors, but she was not sure what more she could teach her.

If there was one thing she knew for sure, however, was that Starlight loved working. Her hands were never still, they craved the be used, and therefore their master was always on the look out for something to craft, to plant, to fix. Helping the sheep give birth would be something Aldora knew Star would enjoy.

Aldora Knight

Casa di Cavalieri
Pack Advisor
Nat
Luperci Artisan (Vocals), Hunter goose slayer

POSTED: Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:18 am

[283] • OOC Text

"Aww, c'mon Star," the red wolfdog drew out her name in the most grating way possible. She lifted up a silver-black brow as an answer. "Just one?" He crooned at her, a brush and a handful of ribbons clutched to his chest. Star ran her golden eyes up and down his clothed figure, wondering just how to get rid of her uncle once and for all.

Then a gift sent from above saved her. She smiled - a rare occurrence for the Hushhowl - and bid her uncle farewell. "Sorry I can't. The Councilwoman is calling for me!"

Without waiting to watch him sink, she ran out of the Courthouse and raced towards the call. The wind caught in her monochrome fur the way it should and her short hair danced above her eyes. When she finally arrived at the barn, she was slightly out of breath but her eyes were bright. "I'm here!"

She trotted in the barn and ran a hand through her windswept hair as if to move it out of her face even though it wasn't quite long enough. When she finally saw her brown mentor, there was a young ewe beside her. The sheep's belly was swollen with offspring and something was hanging out her backside. Starlight wrinkled her brows and nose. "What is that?"

Though fairly feral, Starlight had never quite had the opportunity to see the 'miracle' of birth. She'd also yet to seen the other miracle that lead to birth, but that was another story for another day. For now, she crouched by the ewe's head and held her snout in her hands. One lifted to stroke the ewe between the ears. "What's the lesson today?"

Starlight Hushhowl

Casa di Cavalieri
Reticent
Kris
Luperci Top Poster

POSTED: Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:08 pm

OOC || WC: +0

Aldora stepped over the top of the short pen to get in with the ewe. The sheep bleated at her, obviously uncomfortable with both the presence of the wolf and her condition. The Knight cooed at her softly, and reached back to stick a few fingers into the ewe’s vulva; she could feel a wet nose inside.

Starlight arrived, and was seemingly shocked at what she saw coming out of the sheep’s back end, Just some slime. The ewe’s in labor. I thought you might want to help me deliver the lambs. She smiled as Star crouched by the ewe and gave her some affection, Come on back here, I’ll show you. She said.

Once the two women moved around the sheep, everything was on full display. All anatomy pink and swollen and dripping; not something that most would be comfortable looking at, but it was something Aldora had seen plenty of times in the barnyard; strangely enough though, she had never seen it with her own species.

Pulling the tail to the side, the Knight pointed, Go ahead and reach in there, and before Star could react, Don’t worry, she’s already very loose from contraction, your hand won’t hurt her. To prove it, she stuck her own hand inside and then pulled it out again; the ewe only protested with a stomp.

Reach just inside, Aldora said, Tell me what you feel.

Aldora Knight

Casa di Cavalieri
Pack Advisor
Nat

POSTED: Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:36 pm

[330] • OOC Text

'Just some slime' she said, but Star's eyes grew wide and her jaw dropped. "Slime? Why is there slime?" She crawled over towards the back end, morbidly curious at the state of the ewe's rear side. Though normally strong of stomach, she regretted her swiftness and longed to return to the head. "Um, is it supposed to look like this?"

Star's own nether regions seemed to clench at the sight of the ewe's dripping, swollen area. Her nose wrinkled, less at the smell than at the unusual sight. Aldora and she shared a look and Starlight silently agreed to remain. "I don't think I'll be much help, though."

Aldora moved the tail aside and revealed what had been hidden. It was so much worse than she'd thought before. Are we certain she's not dying? Her insides are becoming her outsides... The Hushhowl was lost in her own thoughts and stared dumbly at the brown Knight when she spoke again until Aldora decided to demonstrate the action she'd requested of her apprentice.

Star's hackles raised as she lifted her hand towards the ewe. "You're sure about this?" When it was confirmed, she let out a big huff and pushed gently in. It was slow and warm and wet. Her teeth bared at the sensation. Gently, she stretched out her fingers and felt around. There were things that were simultaneously hard and soft. A whole lot of squishy. After too much wiggling of fingers, she felt something catch on them that felt familiar.

"Are they.... they have hair? Already?" Her exclamation brought another stomp from the ewe and she retracted her now soaked hand. Birth was so, so weird. Suddenly, the rumor that had sprung about recently among her brother and male cousins that all females gave birth seemed far too close to a horror story. "Um, it was really hot and wet. It was squishy all around but there's something kind of hard in there. Is that the lamb?"

Starlight Hushhowl

Casa di Cavalieri
Reticent
Kris
Luperci Top Poster

POSTED: Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:19 pm

Starlight seemed a bit freaked out, and that was alright; had it been several years ago, and Lyris was asking the same of her, she would be too. The Advisor kept calm and put a hand on Starlight’s shoulder as she delicately checked the ewe. When she withdrew her hand, she looked up at Aldora wide eyed and of all things asked if the lambs had hair. Aldora could not help by laugh slightly, Of course! Just like us, sheep don’t come into the world naked.

The sheep bleated again, and then lowered her rump. Contractions wracked her body as she pushed. It did not take long for two pink hooves wrapped in a mucus membrane to appear. After a few more moments of pushing, Aldora touched Starlight gently on the shoulder, I’m going to pull the lamb out. I think there’s more than one in there and she’ll need some help.

Aldora, gently but firmly, grabbed the two hooves protruding from the sheep’s backside. In just a few moments time, with the lamb-ewe’s contractions, she pulled. It was less than a minute and the lamb came spewing into the world. The Knight was quick to clear its nostrils of any fluid, and then placed the babe in front of its mother. The ewe was confused, but instinct directed it to lick, and so it did.

Sure that the lamb was safe, Aldora stuck a hand into the sheep once more to confirm, a multiple. She turned to Starlight, Ok, now, listen very carefully. She began, Sheep are stupid. And this one’s a first time mother. You’re going to need to reach into her and help her push out the lamb, just like I did. Do you think you can do it?

Aldora Knight

Casa di Cavalieri
Pack Advisor
Nat

POSTED: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:21 am

[394] • OOC Text

"But we're not born with hair." What she had felt was more than the light fuzz she knew that pups were born with and it was quite alarming to the youth. "Wait," an idea popped into her head and she looked to her mentor. "Are horses born with manes and hairy tails too?" The idea of a newborn foal, sticky and slimy, with a full adult mane and tail popped into her head and she couldn't help but shudder at the thought of how the mother must feel giving birth to all that.

The ewe shifted her body position, pointing her rump downwards. Starlight scampered away on hands and knees to let Aldora in closer so she could handle the actual birthing. Throughout the process, she stayed perched on her back paws or knees and craned her neck to get a better look.

Before this event, Starlight honestly had no preconceived notions of birth and newborn creatures. To see fully formed hooves poke out of another animal almost curdled her stomach at first, but as more and more of the creature emerged, the sickness vanished and was replaced by awe. She glanced at the struggling ewe, this ewe who had formed a whole other animal inside her. Perfectly made, but in miniature.

The lamb was placed before her mother to be washed of the thick coating of liquids - she still wasn't quite certain what it was. "Wow," she breathed out the exclamation.

Aldora spoke for the first time since the birth had begun to announce something unsettling. "Why can't she do it on her own?" What would have happened if she had given birth on her own in the middle of the night? Would something have happened to her? Now having seen the size of the lamb and the size of the hole it had come out of, there were a huge slew of problems that she could think of arising had anything gone wrong.

Star bowed her head thoughtfully before nodding gravely. She could do this. She'd need guidance of course, but she could do it. She shimmied over the where Aldora had been previously and peered up at the ewe. There was no sign of a second lamb yet. "Do I need to wait for the hooves like you did or do I need to go in and grab it?"

Starlight Hushhowl

Casa di Cavalieri
Reticent
Kris
Luperci Top Poster

POSTED: Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:38 pm

Starlight could not accept the fact that what she had felt inside was as furry as it was, Aldora chuckled, I guess Luperci aren’t typically as covered as a lamb is when they born. And yes, horses, have manes and tails but they’re very short. She then leaned in as if telling Star a secret, And their hooves are soft and covered in petals, when they come out. Her eyes were wide, as if she really didn’t even believe it herself.

The ewe-lamb, now a ewe by all intents and purposes, was completely enamored with her new-born and had not the slightest clue that there was a second baby waiting in the wings. Starlight questioned why the mother couldn’t do it on her own, She could, if we left her to it. Aldora stated, But the risk of a still-born would be much higher. Like I said, she’s a first time mother, she’s new to all this, so a little bit of help from us will ensure her second baby also lives. It was true, that still-born lambs were more likely in a multiple birth scenario, so Aldora knew that aiding the ewe would be the best course of action. Sheep were not like horses; lambs could be pulled out and, while some damage may be done, it would most likely not be life threatening. Her heart thumped as she recalled Cinzia.

Starlight asked if she would need to reach in, I would suggest it. Said Aldora, The lamb is pretty well along in the canal, so you don’t need to reach in far. And don’t be afraid to pull hard, the ewe can handle it.

Aldora Knight

Casa di Cavalieri
Pack Advisor
Nat

POSTED: Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:42 pm

[319] • OOC Text

"Petals," Star couldn't help but picture a tiny little horse with flowers for feet. The edge of her mouth tipped up and a huff left her. The closest to a laugh as she ever got. "I'll have to see that one myself to believe it."

Talk got serious when in reference to the potential for a stillborn lamb. Star furrowed her brows, swallowed the knot in her throat, and pushed up her metaphorical sleeves to begin her work. She was going to make sure this little lamb was born whether the act was gross or not.

She only got to her wrist before she felt the first touch of the lamp. It was something long and slender - a leg, she thought. Her silver fingers wrapped around the first leg, but before she could fully pull she felt the other leg only a little distance away. A quick mental calculation told her that she was far less likely to injure the lamb if she could grab both legs in one go and she was too scared to reach both hands into the ewe. Stretching her fingers as far as she could, she got a grip on both legs as well as she could.

Starlight turned her gold-green eyes to her mentor for silent comfort before she slowly pulled the legs out of the ewe and into the world. The ewe let out a moan as her second child worked its way out of her body. Star paused and stared at the strange sight, but quickly remembered that it wasn't over yet. A few more tugs - much slower than when Aldora had done it because Starlight kept stopping - and the shoulders slipped through the ewe. After the shoulders cleared, the rest of the lamb seemed to tumble out without any aid from the luperci. She gasped and pulled away out of fright of the suddenness. "It did it!"

Starlight Hushhowl

Casa di Cavalieri
Reticent
Kris
Luperci Top Poster

POSTED: Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:23 pm

OOC || WC: +3

Starlight put aside her discomfort with the whole ordeal and did as Aldora said. When she looked to her mentor, and the Knight nodded at her in encouragement.

With just a few quick pulls, and some protest from the ewe, the second lamb was out. This one was a beautiful lamb with a black face in contrast to its white wool. Starlight exclaimed with excitement that she had did it, Fantastic job! Now make sure to clear the slime from its nose and put it in front of its mother. Like I said, they’re not the smartest animals, out of sight out of mind. She snorted a laugh.

Once the second baby was placed in front of the ewe, she began to lick it clean. The first lamb was already trying to stand, instinct urging it to seek out milk. It would be important for both lambs to drink soon, the rich colostrum would see them through their first hours. For now, the Lupercis’ job was over. Aldora exited the pen, and went to go to the nearby water trough to wash off her hands.

Waiting for Starlight to join her, What did you think of that? Casa has so many animals, it is important that we all know at least a little how to care for them. She shook her hands of excess water, I think, with some training, you’d be good at something like this. Or even tending to Luperci instead of livestock. You have a very keen mind; like any muscle you should train it.

She smiled, and then sat back on her haunches, Starlight, I know that I may not have been the best mentor for you, but I hope you learned a lot from me, at least enough to set up a good foundation for yourself. I think, now, my training you has come to an end. She smiled a sad kind of smile, but one that also showed she was proud of her ward.

Aldora Knight

Casa di Cavalieri
Pack Advisor
Nat

POSTED: Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:23 pm

[348] • OOC Text

Starlight rushed to wipe the slime from the lamb's nostrils. By this point, she was no longer too terribly squeamish about the ordeal. She flicked her hand to sling the remaining mucus from her fingers to the floor.

Aldora moved the lamb so that the mother could realize that she was a mother twice over while Starlight struggled back up to her feet. After the adrenaline rush and having sat on her legs for so long, she wobbled in the air. Her legs felt like jelly and her head swam at the sudden height. Starlight stumbled over to the wall and leaned against it, a grin growing on her face.

Star followed her mentor and dunked her hands under the water. It felt cold to her - freezing almost after the body heat she'd grown used to. "I enjoyed that." The statement didn't give much to go on, but for a girl of few words it was more than enough. She was more prone to use words like 'okay' or 'alright'. Enjoyment was rare and only given to things of the highest honor.

"You really think I'd be good at this?" The idea could definitely grow on the girl. She loved the stolid strength and silence of the livestock. She loved the general predictability of them. She loved the hands on nature that revolved around the barns and stables and pastures. And if Aldora said she had the talent for it, maybe it was worth finally looking into. "I don't agree with the Luperci thing though. They talk too much."

By the time Star was done washing herself off, she was soaked up to the shoulder. She shook her arms half-heartedly, but allowed them to drip while the warm sun dried her. Aldora's next words stunned Star back into her usual silence. Her yellow-green eyes gleamed with emotion. Done? Over? Her mentorship was finished? Starlight turned away from the brown woman and stared at the ground while the finality of it sank in. All that was left was her First Blood. Star nodded quietly. It was over.

Starlight Hushhowl

Casa di Cavalieri
Reticent
Kris
Luperci Top Poster

Dead Topics