Working with Wood, Mind and Heart Makes an Artist

Borya

POSTED: Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:27 pm

[[Backdated late November]]

Zetsubou didn't have a job, or a place to be. He didn't have a direction of where he wanted to go within Casa di Cavalieri's ranks, though he did have an idea about who he wanted to be. Small moments had a big impact on him in this place, and the 'What If's' and 'Could have been's' were waiting just behind the window of opportunity, bearing teeth and ready to strike. He had to look beyond them, beyond his doubts and the suspect image of failure that followed him around in the form of hard, sorrowful eyes.

How could he feel like he failed a man, a family and a pack in such a short span of time?

The world never had been kind, he knew.

Brushing his hair from his eyes with the back of his wrist, he stood up with mallet in hand and a couple of pegs tucked away carefully in his mouth. Pushing his hips outward, he stretched his shoulders back with his hands on his waist. Honrin had been kind enough to request work of him, since he was still fresh in the face of Casa di Cavalieri's borders. With Darkness gone, the mahogany man did nothing more but train and look for work, no longer at the Patriarch's dutiful schedule. Zetsubou welcomed it, thought. It was all a good distraction, and couldn't do anything but help out the pack.

Plus, the fence was easy enough work and Zetsu didn't have other obligations that might slow the repair of it. It lead to a steadfast push for the important work to be done, so that Casa could turn out the animals in pasture again.

Putting the mallet atop one of the already set posts, the charcoal of his hand reached for the shovel. Callouses made from months and months of hard work protected his palm flesh from the blister of the wooden shaft as he forced the metal blade into the earth. Through the snow, into the mud, down past the frozen ground. Chipping away at it, he looked up just once to find that it was the final post he'd have to set.

He was happy to have near finished the job, but was already working the gears of thought to try and fashion another chore to mind. Work always made the days go faster and when he had a say in what it was he was doing? Well, that was liberating in his own right.

Standing the shovel in the hole, he measured the depth. Pleased with the height of the hole's wall, he pulled the shovel up with a quick upward motion on one arm, then moved to prop it against the fence where it was stable. Taking the post, he put it down into the hole and leveled it all out with the mallet, then kicked the mud and dirt in to secure the wooden pillar. With the shovel in hand again, he buried the post properly. All that was left to do now, was the slats.

With the first board he lifted, he couldn't help but think of Sapient. His beginnings and his birthplace, no matter how sour it had all turned out. Leaning on the fences while watching the horses meander about and chew at the earth had always been something he'd done. It was a shame that he didn't take up riding when he was small enough to do so. Now? He was blessed with a warrior's body, despite his dreamer's mind, and he had grown too big to even think about it. It was amusing now, that he'd be fixing a fence for the animals paddock.

The last slate came into place and he took a step back. An eye trailed over his work, seeking out anything that didn't seem like it belonged or had been shifted out of place as he worked the slats. Collecting the shovel in his off hand, and the mallet in the other, he worked down the line and offered one last hammering to each post to secure them after they had settled. All the while, he thought of his next potential task and the Cavalier that he might ask to bless him with it.

Casa di Cavalieri
First Cadet
Dark
Luperci

POSTED: Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:21 pm

OOC - Word Count: 746

I want to take shelter but I'm ready, ready to fight.

Gentle and soft lips melted against the top of Borya's head. The boy could feel the blunt, large teeth beneath nip at his hair, gently tugging it in a way Borya was beginning to understand as a form of communication. A message conveying the words: 'I like you, but I'm bored'. Before the mare could take out Borya's hair bun completely with her playful bites, the boy swatted his hand lovingly against Zena's large head to get her to knock it off. A small chuckle released from the boy's mouth, one of the first he'd had in a while. He was getting over the loss of his grandfather, but it was probably going as well for Borya as it was for the rest of the family. They'd lost the strong roots to their family tree, and now they were all but saplings trying to find their own stake in the ground. Borya had lost the man who always made him feel a bit less than worthless, who always turned Borya's disability into a challenge rather than an obstruction and made the boy feel like he could be something.

But with Darkness, Borya would have to work himself to be what he needed to be. And whilst the boy could do little to help his pack, he could do something for his family by being present, which was what a lot of the Hushhowls needed. Borya was sure in time his insecurities and fears of his uselessness would return, but for now the youngest Hushhowl would pretend he didn't have anything to worry about. He had some decent distractions, from the likes of his father Zetsubou and his playful and somewhat 'motherly' mare, Zena. The latter was making up Borya's time this day, since he didn't have anything else to do and bonding with Zena always left Borya feeling better. He couldn't ride her though. That was something his grandfather was going to do with him; show Borya how to ride his loving steed and care for her. But upon his death, Borya didn't feel like asking anyone else to take the place of horse mentor, so he'd mostly done things himself, observing how others tended to their animals and copying them. But where others would saddle up their horses and go on rides, Borya could only throw a loose loop around Zena's neck and led her around the Fort to let the mare stretch.

Walking his horse felt like parading around the fact that he couldn't ride, which filled Borya with embarrassment, but he usually pressed on for Zena's sake. Today the boy could tell his horse was getting a bit restless, so he contemplated taking her on a similar walk once more. With the use of only one arm, Borya couldn't even set up reins or a saddle on Zena without help, and he figured if he needed help to set up his horse every single time he wanted to go somewhere with her then he'd be causing too much grief for whoever had to aid him. So the boy was comfortable with the idea of riding without a saddle... of course due to his height and the obvious lack of grip, Borya couldn't even get on top of the mare.

Trying not to think of how pathetic he was, Borya collected the rope with the loop already tied into it and tossed it over Zena's head, who flicked her head up and swished her tail at the prospect of going out for a walk. Chuckling at the horse's antics, Borya began to walk her away from the stables. As the boy walked, he picked up sounds of knocks and clicks that didn't come for Zena's hooves. Glancing around, the boy saw the figure of his father, finishing up a job with some fences. Pulling gently at Zena's lead, Borya made his way over. "Da... um, Mister Zetsubou!" Borya called, stopping himself from falling into a pattern that was preferable to him. Whilst Borya had almost jumped at the chance to have a father, he appreciated the bond needed to be shared between both father and son. The boy didn't want to scare Zetsubou by giving him a title he might not be ready for, but at the same time, Borya had never asked to call him 'dad' before.

Casa di Cavalieri
Recruit
Jazzy

POSTED: Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:42 am

[[Pardon the small! I didn't want to do too much XD]]

The heartbeat of hooves was the first to come to his ears, though not altogether an uncommon sound within the breadth of the fort, so it didn't particularly pull his attention away from the fence itself. A few more posts were to be settled into place when a voice came to call with the nearing hooves, and it stole his eyes completely from his project. Instant interest bubbled in his chest as he found the frame of his son and a horse at his hand. He winced a bit as the son of Dusk and himself fumbled a bit with word that he shouldn't know if he should say.

Zetsubou wanted to tell him it was okay, but the inkling notion that perhaps it was a bit soon? That maybe the boy of his likeness had decided against it for a reason of his own, even if the idea were fine by his blood father. He wouldn't press, of course. Zetsu was very fond of informing himself that it wasn't his own place.

“Borya!” Taking his odd eyes away from Borya for only a moment, he set the mallet down upon the post to free himself of any other charges for the moment. The boy would get all of him, in retrospect to all he never had in his youngest days. Hands liberated of his chore, he turned to be available completely, and let the smile naturally come to him. He was happy that, out of everything, Borya had sought him out on his own. It meant a great deal to him.

“How are ya?” The question was a soft introduction to the conversation, allowing Borya the option to speak his mind in case he needed something, or rather, if he needed something compared to stopping by to talk. Either were fine with him. Propping his arms on his waist, he took a glimpse over the boy's shoulder to the large draft behind him for a moment. Brows knit. He was no genius nor did he know much about the beasts of burden, but that was big animal. Seemed a bit disproportionate for Borya's size," This one yours?" A gestured hand lifted up to flag at the horse, before dropping it again.

Casa di Cavalieri
First Cadet
Dark
Luperci

POSTED: Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:20 pm

OOC - stuff here

I want to take shelter but I'm ready, ready to fight.

Before Borya had even met the man, he'd forgiven his father. It wasn't like the boy could blame him for anything, it was clear whenever he looked into the open and warm eyes of his father that the man saw the world in the boy. If he'd wanted to be in Borya's life before now, he would have done, it wasn't his fault he'd been literally dragged away from being the parent he wanted to be. Borya wanted to put his thoughts into words one day, to let the man who obviously worried about his worth in the boy's eyes that he was loved unconditionally. But perhaps Borya had inherited some of his father's doubt, because every time Borya wanted to call the man what he deserved to be called, the boy fell short. The young Hushhowl would panic, wonder if his father really, truly wanted to be involved with such a weak son. Was the warmth in his eyes genuine joy, or just pity for the child who'd survived a brutal birth? Borya was over-thinking to a mad degree, he knew deep down there was no way such thoughts were true, but it didn't stop the doubt remaining like a nattering goblin in his ear.

Those thoughts sat to the side for now, Borya didn't need to drag up his worries any time he spend with his father, he did want to enjoy the man's company after all. "I-I'm fine, thank you. J-Just... taking Zena for a walk I-I guess." Borya replied, chuckling awkwardly as he looked to the giant horse behind him, trailing behind the small boy with only a small hoop of string holding onto her. "She used to b-be my grandmother's horse... I-I inherited her. She's really n-nice, I-I thought I'd be more sc-scared because of the size b-but Zena's just so g-gentle." Borya explained. His bright expression and pointed ears dropped for a moment as his good arm moved to rub his dead one in a vulnerable way. "I-I feel bad though. Z-zena deserves s-someone who can actually r-ride her, I c-can't even climb o-onto her back."

Casa di Cavalieri
Recruit
Jazzy

Casa di Cavalieri