[NEWS] Welcome to the new board!

POSTED: Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:50 am

Welcome back!

First off

Thanks so much to all our members for being so understanding with us regarding the sudden move. We really appreciate it and ask for your continued patience and cooperation with us in the coming weeks as we adjust to the new forum platform and make further tweaks and adjustments to settle into our new home. Trust us when we say we know that change is hard, and it will take time to get used to the new board, but once again, this move was a long time coming, and we hope things will get easier moving forward. :)

The archived forum is HERE, by the way!

Returning/Active Members

After registering your new account(s), returning members that were active and titled at the time of the move should post in the Migration Thread with the requested information. Once we process your account, you should be good to go and may pick up posting and plotting right where you left off.

Joining/Requests Temporarily Suspended Until 31st October

For the next couple of days, Joining will be closed to new members/characters that were not active and titled at the time of the move, as well as Requests for character-based permissions from existing members. With a few administrators on absence for the weekend, the rest relatively scarce, and ~200 characters to get retitled and situated -- we're a little short-handed. D: We hope you understand. ;__; We're aiming to reopen Joining and Requests by Halloween. In the meantime, new members are welcome to fill in their profiles and hang out in the OOC forums!

Summary of Technical Board Changes (Thus Far)

Neutral-Changes
  • Use [html*] (no asterisk) instead of [dohtml] to use HTML; this tag is case sensitive!
  • HTML in posts only allowed if you are an active (titled) or formerly active member.
  • Account Linking now swaps your entire account over so you're browsing as that account.
  • Account Linking is no longer limited to accounts with the same email; however, note that it will be a serious and bannable offense to link accounts with friends/anyone that is not yourself.
  • The "Board Help" link under Game Stats will answer various technical board questions, if you need help!
New Features
  • After a long many years, QUICK REPLY IS BACK (in OOC forums only). ;)
  • Replies have titles now! Those of you that were with us on EZboard might have missed this? :o (KIRI SURE DID.)
  • Thread tags for "aw", "p," and "dnd" are now available! Yes, for replies too. Yes, that's kinda weird, but roll with it, okay? Because these markers do not show up on the board index though, please do note that mature warning tag policies still apply.
  • Forum categories on the board index are now collapsible.
  • You can now save drafts of posts and PMs, then view/edit them from your User Control Panel.
  • New PM stuff including filtering, unlimited custom folders, PM attachments, and drafts.
Old Features Not Available
  • IC Profile fields currently only accept BBCode, no HTML or CSS. Sorry!
  • The auto-word counter Kiri just finished is gone. ;_;
  • All our old skins are now retired!
  • Other stuff you'll let us know about probably... <_<

We understand that most of you are probably really disappointed about HTML/CSS no longer being enabled in profiles. We may look into bringing this back in the future, but admittedly, it is not a high priority at the moment.

Compared to our old IPB 1.3.1 platform, which is nearly a decade old, phpBB 3.0.11 is newer and shinier and a lot more secure. However, this does not necessarily mean that it has more features, especially since many of the features you were used to on IPB were blatant hacks, accumulated through our long years using the software. Enabling HTML just about everywhere on the old board is the biggest example of that. It gave you guys a lot of freedom to customize and do what you wanted -- but it also a huge security risk we systematically ignored. Now that the security hole is closed again, it'll take a significant effort to reopen it, and we're not really sure that'd be worth it?

Nevertheless, phpBB3 is going to give us the opportunity to try out a lot of other features we've never been able to consider. In the coming months, we definitely hope to be able to implement some of the nifty new tools available to us, but in the meantime, we've still got a lot of learning to do, a lot of broken links to fix, and so on. We hope you understand where we're coming from, and after all, all the fancy things we had on IPB didn't come all at once either. ;3

Errors and Bugs (Pardon Our Dust)

Naturally, we can't catch everything without your help! If you see anything weird around the board, etc, please post in the Bug Reports thread! We're still fixing stuff up and some things are going faster than others, so apologies ahead of time if some issues take a while to address. We're working on it!

Thanks again for everyone's support during this very rough week. Hopefully things will settle down soon!

'Souls Assemblage
The Few, The Proud
'Souls Assemblage
'Souls Assemblage

POSTED: Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:09 am

I just wanted to say that I dreamed of the new board, administrators tweaking the new board, and 'Souls in general all freaking night.

WELCOME BACK, 'SOULS!

Raze
Luperci
tatter-winged phoenix
cunning linguist

POSTED: Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:12 am

...I want to just freak out.

This board is so beautiful.

GOOD JOB, 'SA! Cheers for the staff!

Shannah
Luperci
long time traveller

POSTED: Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:15 am

WAI cannot post in migration forum. :'( Whaffak.
Barret and Lilin by Kiriska
Join us Check out the Souls Wiki

Ama
Luperci Matchmaker: The Couple No One Thought Would Work But it Did with Tharin!
Ketchup foh laif

POSTED: Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:16 am

I'm kinda :\ about it.

AND OMG SAME IT WON'T WERK! :o

Vida
NOT RUSSIAN
Madam

POSTED: Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:20 am

Also the board is awesome, and good job and great work and thankies SA :D Migration all worky now ^^ I noticed that there's a limit on the biography section of my profile, say's I'm only allowed to have 6,000 characters. I suppose I can link to a Wiki profile, but I thought I'd point that out.
Last edited by Revan Rajanikant on Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

POSTED: Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:21 am

Migration thread should be fixeded soon as an 'SA person sees!

And remember that this is a permanent change, guys. It's a little freaky to get used to, and we might miss some fun features or need to tweak things such as tables and whatnot for the changeover -- but remember that this is a roleplaying site first and foremost. AFAIK, you can still write without all those extra features. ;) And the staff'll figure them out soon.

Raze
Luperci
tatter-winged phoenix
cunning linguist

POSTED: Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:22 am

Migration topic should work now, sorry. ;__;
ALAINEY DREW THIS
kiri is a butthead; avatar by dwudles
commissions are OPEN
'Souls Assemblage
Administrator
Kiri

falling s l o w l y

POSTED: Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:25 am

S'all guud. But don't do it again! 8D
Barret and Lilin by Kiriska
Join us Check out the Souls Wiki

Ama
Luperci Matchmaker: The Couple No One Thought Would Work But it Did with Tharin!
Ketchup foh laif

POSTED: Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:51 am

O HAI TENNANT!
Hai everyone else!

News