I drank the water from a hurricane

P. Clover | Wentworth Valley

POSTED: Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:59 pm

Huffing rhythmically at the thick air that his lupine shape cut through, dull streams of wind parting his thick fur and cooling his tongue, Reblin loped north. He had never been so far away from the Court, not since Thyri had lead him through the unknown territories when they had first set foot here, but the further his legs carried him, the more the land shifted and changed and promised curiosities beyond his wildest dreams. And so he carried on, finding a passage through the mountain and pausing at the base on the other side to rest.

Lifting his head, the Viceroi considered the shape and the shear expanse of the massive formation and, his mind shifting unbidden to his masonry studies, considered what types of useful stones might be hidden within her embrace. Slate, perhaps? The idea was a hopeful one and Reblin wagged his curled tail, pale eyes still fixed on the Halcyon Mountains. Did slate exist in such a mound as this? He blinked and wished that he'd had Harrison with him to provide him with more tips about locating useful stones out in the wilds of unclaimed lands.

Giving his thick, piebald pelt a healthy shake, Reblin turned away from the mountains and allowed his pink tongue to flop out of his mouth once more. The day was warm and his thick fur did nothing to help matters, though that scarcely seemed to be on the Courtier's mind as he dipped his dark nose to the earth at his feet and sniffed the stories left there from creatures – Luperci and prey alike – from times past.

Following the fresher scent of vulnerable prey, Reblin started forward on four legs with is nose lowered to the earth, emerald blades of grass tickling his nostrils and encouraging him forward.

[WC — 302]

Cour des Miracles
Viceroi
Mandi
Luperci

POSTED: Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:39 pm

Three years Clover had been a member of Inferni, most of her life – but she found returning to the life of a loner a simple endeavor. Vesper was the same; the old coywolf told her that, although it was a short portion of her lives that the two of them struggled alone, it had become such a part of their identity in the beginning that their hearts remembered it. Or maybe she had only been trying to reassure Clover.

The dog needed little reassurance, though. She missed the others, of course, but ever since Cartier died and Jehan departed, she had resigned herself to that. And while she was without a clan, she wasn't without companionship. Protecting and providing for Vesper, her old mentor who had become something like a surrogate mother or grandmother, filled her days with purpose. It was difficult, and they were hungry, but she did not have to worry about so many mouths anymore. Terrible things had happened, but now they were in the past.

Her stomach growled, and Clover sniffed suspiciously at the earth. Inferni's famine had made all of them skinny, but her coat – dull, dirty, but still thick – hid her gauntness. Only her hard face betrayed their desperation. She hated having to travel so far to find places untouched by the storms and flies, but she would eat now and spit up food for Vesper like a pup if she had to. (She doubted the proud woman would be impressed.)

She did find the track of a goat, some descendent of farm animals grown hardy over generations, and followed this through the brush. She did so with a slight limp; the cut on her pad had scabbed over and been torn open a few times, and it was still tender. It was a small enough pain she could forget it when she ran after her quarry.

It wasn't the goat she encountered first, though.

An earthy figure broken up with white loped through the green grass. Instinctively, Clover crossed his path and bared her teeth in warning.

You better not be after what I think you are, the hungry dog said. Perhaps, had she committed to it, her rough voice could have been menacing. However, as it was, she sounded only tired and irritated. Her heart wasn't in it to be mean to a complete stranger, even if he was a wolfdog – and a Courtier, she smelled a second after.

Her face hardened again. Wild, smelling of coyotes and fireweed and the soot that even now streaked her muzzle, Clover flagged her tail to further deter him.

He didn't need her prey.

She tryna be mean and scare him off but being mean is hard ok

Loners
Dog
Raze
oderint dum metuant
cave canem
unconditional loyalty

POSTED: Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:05 am

He followed the scent like a hound, the white of his curled tail catching in the sun while his nose brushed against prickling grass. Eyes would lift now and again, as would his head, but both were downturned when the rumbling warning was heard. Reblin saw dirty toes first – large and wide – and scaled his pale eye up strong legs, up deep chest, up thick ruff, up and up and up until he was looking into her broad face.

And then Reblin smiled.

It was not a smile of malice or of impudence; it lacked arrogance and it contained no chagrin. Rather, it was a smile of genuine pleasure, and perhaps even a smattering of excitement. "Oh!" he barked, his tail wagging stiffly. Despite her hard stare and flagging tail, Reblin appeared to be caught somewhere between play and defense. To his credit, however, he offered her a bit of space by backing up, at least. "Uh, I mean... I guess I..." He pulled his tongue into his mouth and snapped his jaws closed, then canted his head comically to one side, narrowing his eyes uncertainly. "Maybe?"

He wasn't sure how to respond, because what she thought he was after might not actually be what he was after and if he was after what she thought he was after... well, what was the big deal? Surely they could work together. Reblin wagged his tail again, more loosely and hopefully this time. "I'm Reblin, by the way," he offered, expecting a reciprocal response, and looked her over more closely as he waited. He had met plenty of women – all different shapes and sizes – but, with her thick pelt and strong structure and floppy ears, he had never seen anyone quite like her.

Her sour attitude, which Reblin regarded more or less neutrally, aside, the Courtier was immediately interested in her.

OOC: heheheheh

[WC — 311]

Cour des Miracles
Viceroi
Mandi
Luperci

POSTED: Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:19 pm

Slowly the piebald wolfdog lifted his eyes, and when his face turned toward Clover it broke out into a smile that surprised the grey mongrel. She furrowed her brows, slanting the smudges of soot that striped her forehead. Used to running across other loners turned mean with hunger, she didn't anticipate this.

If she'd had more resolve, if she'd been a truly mean loner herself, Clover might have spat an insult at the young male and driven him off. However, his curiously tilted head and hopefully wagging tail instilled another feeling in her: guilt.

"...Clover," she said first, hesitant. "Uh, that's my name." She shook her head and ruff, in all likelihood flinging some flea dirt, then narrowed her eyes again. "I'm after that goat and I'm sure I need it more than your fat ass," she growled, thrusting her muzzle in the direction of his stocky build. She couldn't remember the last time she'd been that well-fed. "So don't fuckin' think about it."

Or else might have been implied, but Clover had nothing to back up her threat. Instead, she gave him one last perplexed grimace, then turned and started to chase after the goat's uneven tracks.
Loners
Dog
Raze
oderint dum metuant
cave canem
unconditional loyalty

POSTED: Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:00 pm

He perked his ears. "Clover?" An upper lip caught on a canine tooth when he closed his mouth again. When she clarified that this was her name, Reblin's tongue flopped out of his mouth in a show of comfort and ease. "Oh, yeah! I mean, of course it is." He gave his own ruff a shake. Surely she meant no harm if she was willing to oblige him her name. The stiffness in the way he wagged his tail eased. "That's a good name!" he decided with a firm, confident nod. Reblin had never given clovers much thought before, least of all as a name, but because he had already decided that he liked her, he naturally had to like her name, too.

For a beat, right before she spoke again, Reblin had the sinking feeling that the reason Clover's eyes were narrowed on him again was because she could see right through him – at the fact that clovers meant nothing to him but that, in the way the way the insides of his ears burned and his tummy tingled, she inexplicably did. Her insult was almost a relief.

"Yeah," he agreed almost sheepishly, a grin curling his lips while his ears laid flat. He gave his tail a low wag. "It's been a good summer in the Court!" Reblin thought back to the feast, with the broad spread of venison, and licked his lips. He flinched when Clover told him not think about it, that feeling of her being able to see right through him returning in an instant. "What? I wasn't!" Was his too-quick reply. Reblin shook his head in a futile attempt to cool the burning in his ears.

Despite the discomfort, the Courtier had no desire to depart from the loner. On the contrary, he wanted to help her. "If you're that bad off, why don't you let me help you hunt it? I won't take any!" And then, as though he were a puppy of non-shifting age, he added, "I promise!" And immediately dealt an internal kick to himself for sounding so dumb.

OOC: i am dying

[WC — 358]

Cour des Miracles
Viceroi
Mandi
Luperci

POSTED: Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:13 pm

Reblin agreed with a smile and laid-back ears, and Clover rolled her eyes as he explained that his pack had had a bountiful summer. Good for you, she said softly, unable to stop weary bitterness from coloring her tone. Some packs had to thrive while Inferni suffered, she supposed. It wasn't as if the storms could hit everywhere. More evidence that they were cursed somehow -- that their luck had run out after a decade and a half of struggle.

Eyeing him, she recalled that Cour des Miracles was pretty old for a pack, too. She wondered when the Court would meet its own end, then felt another surge of guilt.

Rather than sit and stay like a good boy, Reblin protested her accusation and burst out with a childish offer to help her. Immediately, Clover spun around and bared her teeth in his face as if he were a misbehaved puppy. I don't need your fuckin' charity, she barked.

"Don't think of it as charity. Think of them as suckers."

The advice came unbidden from some pushed-down memory, and she could almost see the short-muzzled spitz face wink gently at her. They'd been words meant to soothe a starved orphan with bruised pride, and while their recollection burned a sour ashy taste on the back of her tongue, that buried little girl seized onto them with desperation.

She blew air bullishly through her nostrils. ...Fine, whatever, she amended. Come on. We'll see just what kinda help you are. She ran forward into the brush.

Loners
Dog
Raze
oderint dum metuant
cave canem
unconditional loyalty

POSTED: Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:28 am

Reblin heard little of the bitterness that crept into the sound of her words and instead took her response for compassion. "Thanks," he chirped, lifting his pale eyes to Clover's stern, stunning face.

Despite the troubles they had faced throughout the winter months, Reblin was proud to be a member of the Court. And things only seemed to be improving under Queen Kalypso's rule. Being safe and comfortable within the well-protected borders of such a productive, secure pack, it was easy to forget that hardships and tragedies befell those less fortunate out in neutral lands. And, with one such figure standing before him, stony-faced, yet oddly alluring, Reblin's desire to help her was strong.

So strong, in fact, that when she barked at him, all teeth and hackles, Reblin licked the air in a puppyish attempted at appeasing her but held fast. "Aw, c'mon," he whined, is tail thumping the ground in short, quick wags. "What's the big deal? I just wanna help." He straightened up cautiously, his confidence growing, and smiled. "I'm pretty good, ya know. At hunting, I mean. I'm pretty good at hunting." It seemed important to him that this be clarified.

Her thoughts were kept secret from him, so when she finally relented, Reblin assumed it was due to his charming persuasion and self-proclaimed hunting skills. Immediately, his tail curled back over is back and he wagged it exuberantly. "Prepare to be astounded!" he barked, running through the brush after her and falling easily into that sense of camaraderie that came with hunting in a group.

The goat had gained an increased head start, but Reblin didn't feel deterred. "So," he began as he ran. "Do you live around here, Clover?" He glanced at her out of the corner of his eyes, his tongue flopping out of his mouth again.

[WC — 315]

Cour des Miracles
Viceroi
Mandi
Luperci

Dead Topics