Risk

[p. Urho]

POSTED: Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:51 am

The Last Supper still sat on her mind, but she tried to push all thought of it out. That was the easiest thing to do. It felt like every Supper that she had sat through had brought changes to them all, some of them less than good. Ondine fled the packlands for a respite, some relief from the disappointment and from the joy. Away from her family, the Family, and her fears. Inland she stayed, for fear of the sea at her side forcing her into a pile of tears.

It was not a long excursion but she had taken a pack along to collect anything she found. Mostly it was mushrooms enjoying the sudden chill and wetness of autumn. The last greens of plants were shoved into her pack, too, mostly as garnish for the wrapped meal she had made to take with her. The scent, at least, was covered by a thick rag covered in mint oil. It was strong and permeated her pack, but she was hardly worried. Delicate she might look but she had enough bite to get out of scrapes. All thanks to Lillith.

The last house she had scavenged through had a mostly collapse roof and one wall was nearly gutted. Rot was thick and mold was everywhere. But she walked out with bent spoons, forks, and even a collection of metal hinges from rotted doors and cabinets. Nothing else seemed to be of any use, anyway. Ondine hummed as she walked along, pack reeking of mint and jingling with the sound of spoons hitting each other.

<3

Ondine Heiwa
But I've been wondering, why can't you see? If the door opens up we go where it leads

Player WikiCommissionsCharacter Wiki
Salsola
DEAD
Gen
Luperci Mate to Janik
grim fandango
† † †
frozen waltz
† † †
Silent Quadrille

POSTED: Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:03 am

And way down we gO

Rustling through what mostly was considered garbage was a pastime of Urho's. Some might have called him the canine dumpster diver, searching for scrap bits of metal, cloth, leather — whatever he could use in his work or just seemed useful. He'd set down his rucksack against a tree, taking a rest from venturing out into old settlements looking for salvage. It was how he came across a lot of wares, but he'd obtained a fair amount through trading with locals, giving him the biggest variety but not always what he was looking for.

A distinct smell was wafted into his nose as he sat leaned against an adjacent tree, causing him to sit up straight and take another deep inhale. It was predominately mint, a smell he knew well, that floated in the air, too much for him to suspect that he was near a field. He stood up, grabbing his rucksack, and ventured off in the direction of the smell. It took a small amount of walking to see someone walking through the trees with a pack, hearing the sharp of sound of metal on metal, to which his ears pointed forward. If this person had any kind of metal, they were one that he needed to get to know.

Stomping his way over to the female, he huffed before speaking. "Hej!" he greeted with a cheery tone. "You have metal in your pack, yeah? I can hear it." He tapped his ear with a fat finger. "You wouldn't happen to be willing to part with it, would you? I can trade for it."

ooc | [wc — 254] template by hilli
COMMISSIONS ALWAYS OPEN! PM FOR QUESTIONS!
Salsola
The Confidant (NPC)
Titmouse
Luperci

POSTED: Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:12 am

The last thing that Ondine expected was to be stopped in the woods by a fat canine with a pack on his shoulders. She eyed him warily, all too knowing of what could happen to her from strangers outside of pack lands. To be honest, she was a little more afraid of things that lived by her than far away. Keep ones enemies closer, and all that jazz. Still, Ondine narrowed her eyes for a moment, sizing him up, and realized she could probably avoid him and his bulk easily enough. A stick compared to a boulder.

His request left her blinking. "M-metal?" she stuttered, thrown off guard. She looked at the strap of the pack held in her hands and then back up to the fat foreigner. She slowly took the pack off her shoulders, the metal clanking as she crouched onto the ground with it. Her hands wrapped around a few long metal stems and she pulled out a hodgepodge mix of eating utensils. "These?" she asked, knowing well they were metal, but unsure if that was what he wanted. "I have some hinges and more of those things in here, too." And her lunch, but that was definitely not metal.

<3

Ondine Heiwa
But I've been wondering, why can't you see? If the door opens up we go where it leads

Salsola
DEAD
Gen
Luperci Mate to Janik
grim fandango
† † †
frozen waltz
† † †
Silent Quadrille

POSTED: Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:26 am

And way down we gO

She seemed taken aback at first, stuttering a repetition and then pulling out some rods and eating utensils from her pack, asking if that was what he was looking for. His ears perked and his eyes shone in excitement. "Yes!" he bounced, nodding his head furiously. "Yes, yes that's it! Anything like that you're willing to trade!" She mentioned more metal in her bag and Urho almost started to vibrate with glee. He nodded once more and then held up a finger with a pause. "A moment." He slipped the rucksack off his shoulders, letting it land on the ground with a heavy thud before opening it up and pulling out some of the things he made while apprenticing in Sweden. A couple of small pitchers, a pot, and a medium sized skillet were laid on the grass while he continued searching. He had a few cups as well, but they were carved out of horn, not forged in metal.

"I'll trade these. I probably have more in the bag, but it's probably buried and might take me a little to dig it out." He picked up the skillet, knocking on the bottom to show it was, indeed metal. "I've used this a little bit, but I haven't had much time to use it since I've salted or dried all my meat for my travels. I can always make another, anyway." He flipped the skillet so that he held the opposite end, pointing the handle towards her.

ooc | [wc — 247] template by hilli
Salsola
The Confidant (NPC)
Titmouse
Luperci

POSTED: Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:34 am

He settled down onto the ground and his own bag opened up. There were treasures in there, though the Heiwa girl, craning her neck to see better. It was a mess of things, though. This guy needed a pack horse, that was for sure. But as soon as the man pulled out a skillet, singed and dark, her heart stopped. Her eyes widened and she practically reached out to snatch the skillet from him.

It was cold in her hand but she clung to it, nail lightly scratching at the metal to make sure it wasn't coated with anything weird. No, it was perfect. Her eyes watered up a little, glistening from the sheer rapture of the utensil in her hands. "Oh, it's marvelous," she said, words hushing as she spoke. "Take it, take it all," she said, pressing the skillet between her thighs and belly as she dug out the rest of the spoons and forks. The hinges came next and clanked against the utensils that were already there.

Two leather pouches came out, emptying the bag. One held the mint soaked rag that disguised her scent broadly and the second pouch's smell. "That's all I got," she said pitifully, hand clinging to the handle. A dozen or so utensils and a handful of hinges was not enough for a skillet. "I have this?" she said, offering up the unopened waxed leather satchel, it's weight hefty in a solitary hand.

Ondine Heiwa

Salsola
DEAD
Gen
Luperci Mate to Janik
grim fandango
† † †
frozen waltz
† † †
Silent Quadrille

POSTED: Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:50 am

And way down we gO

Urho couldn't help but beam at the girl's reaction, nearly swiping the skillet from him and clutching onto it like it was made of gold. He gave her a toothy grin while he crossed his arms. "Tak. Glad you like it." He didn't expect her to dump all of the metal in such fervor, though, watching with wide eyes as all of the glinting metal poured out onto the grass. "Oh..." He paused, looking at the girl curiously. A couple of bags fell out with the scrap, one of them the obvious source of the mint scent as it reached his nose in a wave of force.

She offered up the second bag, to which he gently took it off her hand, trying to smell what was inside it but the mint covered everything up. He was almost afraid to open it up, looking at her with a slightly wary eye as he lifted the flap and stuck his nose into the pouch. "Oh!" He pulled out what he assumed to be her lunch, taking deep whiffs of the scent. "This smells absolutely delicious," he grinned. He pointed to the cups and the pot with an absent minded hand. "You can have the rest for this." He took a tiny bite, almost elated as he found the taste to match the smell almost perfectly.

"Where do you come from?" he asked, picking off pieces and popping them into his mouth so he could savor it. "Because I would absolutely come back for more of this." Urho was almost in disbelief in how delicious it was, offering the leather pouch back to the girl.

ooc | [wc — 273] template by hilli
Salsola
The Confidant (NPC)
Titmouse
Luperci

POSTED: Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:35 am

The fat man took her lunch out of her hands and looked rather.. worried over it. She snorted into her hand as he gave her a stink eye, but she waited for him to actually open it. Not that she would brag, but Ondine considered herself an excellent cook. Kaoru had taught her his recipes, her mother gave her the few she knew, and she was slowly collecting them for herself, all neatly written in an expensive traded notebook. It had cost her mother something hefty but it had been an unmatched gift. It was not even full.

So when he started to eat with the gusto of a man well accustomed to eating, she grinned wide - ear to ear. She laughed as he ate and felt a pleasant warmth in her face at the praise he gave out so freely. His offer, too, was generous. But she shook her head. "The skillet is plenty, really. I can make more of that anytime." Well, anytime fresh meat came their way, of course.

Of course, her grin faltered. She was not supposed to talk about Salsola outside of it, not unless someone really worthwhile came along. "Nearby," she answered vaguely, still grinning but more anxiously looking at him than before. "Did you say you made this skillet?"

Ondine Heiwa

Salsola
DEAD
Gen
Luperci Mate to Janik
grim fandango
† † †
frozen waltz
† † †
Silent Quadrille

POSTED: Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:50 am

And way down we gO

She grinned as wide as he did when he started eating, flattered that he found her cooking delicious. Urho wasn't that much of a cook, despite how much he ate; searing and barbecuing were pretty much the extent of his skills since he predominately worked with meats everything else was just eaten raw as an afterthought.

When his other wares were denied, Urho looked at her with a tilt of his head. How strange and generous of her to leave that out of the trade. "If you say so," he replied with an unsure shrug. To be fair, he reacted the same way she did when he pulled out the skillet. Smithing was his skill and cooking was hers.

The location she gave was about as vague as could be as if it was supposed to be a secret. It was probably safer to do that, though, then just blurt out your home's location to any random stranger. "Oh yeah! I made all the pitchers, cups, and pot too. Nearly everything in my rucksack was made by me." He pulled his bow off the back of the pack, having been tied in since it didn't quite fit inside. "Even this. Other weapons too, although I've only recently started making those." Pulling out his own leather satchel, he ripped half of the food and put it in the sack, leaving the rest in his hand for him to eat. "I've made horseshoes, candlesticks, hammers, nails — all kinds of stuff. There's probably more I can't think of right now. I'd just need to make a forge."

ooc | [wc — 264] template by hilli
Salsola
The Confidant (NPC)
Titmouse
Luperci

POSTED: Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:55 am

A crafter? He made things, useful things with his hands. Ondine's gaze swept the things he had out and then imagined the things he listed. So many! Such variety! This was important, she realized, the flags going up in her head to take note of this. She had to do this, for Salsola. If she brought to them a blacksmith with this much talent and this much to offer, they would be so much more wealthy. With someone like this fat man among them, they would be a rich Family. They might go a little hungrier, she thought absently, peering at his ample belly, but they would have more than enough to go around.

"Where did you say you were from? Are you from somewhere nearby?" she asked instantly, thinking of the nameless packs around them. He could have been from any of them and that would have been a crying shame. But she imagined claiming she brought them a jack of all trades, a good jack of all trades. What would they say? Would he look at her differently? Would he stop seeing a child and see someone who was useful, important? Necessary? "How come you're carrying all this with you?"

Ondine Heiwa

Salsola
DEAD
Gen
Luperci Mate to Janik
grim fandango
† † †
frozen waltz
† † †
Silent Quadrille

POSTED: Sun Oct 11, 2015 4:12 am

And way down we gO

There was a pause before another thought came to his mind. "Oh, I hunt too! Well, sort of —" He patted his belly with a deep laugh. "I can't run through the forest after any deer. Or climb trees. But I'm a damn good shot with my bow. And I've made traps in the past. Metal ones, too, but they're tricky to get right." Another chunk was torn from the food in his hand as he pointed towards her. "I could get you more meat to make this delicious stuff!" he chortled, nearly choking on the food before swallowing it down.

There wasn't any elaboration on where she lived, but she returned the question to him and he gave an almost sad shrug. "No, actually. I'm from over there —" He pointed the the direction of the eastern coast. "— Across the ocean, in Europe. Unfortunately it means I get lost in this area a little often. Despite having a map." He laughed once more, pulling the cloth map out of his pocket with the dried blood inking the different landmarks he'd come across so far.

Another question followed, regarding him hauling all his stuff with him. "Well when I was still back in Europe — in the Cold North — I was learning how to fight and smith from my father's family. I never met him and wanted to, so they let me leave to travel west." He let a small frown mar the smile he had on his face. "But the problem is, he doesn't really want to be found, I think. He's always travelling everywhere to sell his wares. I'm not sure if I'll ever meet or even see him." He tried to pick his smile back up, not one to be a downer in a conversation. "So I've been selling my wares to keep my belly full. I packed all of my smithing supplies and a bunch of other stuff to carry. It also keeps my strength up so I don't lose any of my muscle." The last comment was half joke half truth, but he phrased it more like a joke to lighten the mood a bit.

ooc | [wc — 357] template by hilli
Salsola
The Confidant (NPC)
Titmouse
Luperci

Dead Topics