Warbling minstrels in the night

[p. Brocade]

POSTED: Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:33 pm

You dumb Krios

He swayed with the heat of the nearest person. It was altogether far too hot at the bar at the peak of summer, though the merciful sun was setting and the cool of evening set in. But with the mass of bodies in the bar, it was almost as though it were only getting hotter and hotter.

It really did not help that Krios was not exactly not drinking. He had finished a rather long scouting trip around the lands that bordered Salsola, starting at the loch that was once a bay and snaking his way around north-northeastward before cutting west and zig-zagging through the unclaimed. As the true killer of the Crone had yet to come to light, his patrols were often like that, though he frequently changed where he started and where he looped.

Fruitless, just like everything else for him.

He finished his patrol rather late, but he had been more thorough than usual, and even then found nothing of note other than the traces of loners passing through briefly. Krios had even warned off one that had lingered, but the message had been quickly received. So where else could the Striker go with his evening freed? Home? Of course not, not to his wife that did not care nor to his grandmother and siblings who were trying to make do with the loss of his mother.

No, Krios went to the bar he had started frequenting more and more since the trial of his aunt. They knew his name. Well. Not his real name, but Magnus, a jovial hunter who brought in furs and meat plenty often and sometimes even had a trinket or two to trade for drinks.

That evening there was a wandering musician with a lovely songstress joining him. The handful of still-sober canines clapped along to her jaunty tune in a pretty warm voice and an accent that suggested an origin across the seas to the east. Krios clapped along with the rest, though there was already a mug of bitter ale in his belly spreading the fire into his heart.

It was the only time he felt lately.

The song finished and he hooted before turning to the barkeep, leaning on the bar, and putting up a finger for a drink, smiling stupidly. The keeper looked at him and then quickly to the side. His look was inquisitively back at Krios, who looked beside him to see the pretty songstress making eyes at him. Not dainty by any means, the curvy girl was nearly white with grey and black in her wavy hair. Dog ears. Dog blood, clearly, but it was those warm amber eyes that melted into his burning chest.

Everything Kamari was not.

He stuck up two fingers, grinning at the barkeep, when he felt a warm trail of fingers down his other arm and a deep, warm chuckle from beside him.

Yes.. everything Kamari was not.

Krios Revlis
Come touch me like I’m an ordinary man. Have a look in my eyes. Underneath my skin there is a violence

Player WikiCommissionsCharacter Wiki
Salsola
The Inquisitor
Gen
Vedetto, Milite Mate to Kamari
Bloode Moste Potente
buy back the secrets

POSTED: Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:16 pm

It felt strange to be so far from the Kingdom. In the wake of the murders everyone had taken up their duties, Inquisitors and Family alike – each eager to stake their claim on a mystery that as of yet had not been solved. Brocade stalked through The Ruins daily, eager to find something that lay out of place – but instead he was always met with the unblinking eyes of that infernal servant. Odalis was always out in Elphabas yard, and each time he wandered passed she would stare after him until he had disappeared behind the next ridge.

There was something unnerving about that blind eye – and it made Brocade wonder what the girl thought of him. There had been new markings on her arms, angry red things that had made her pull down her sleeves.

Out here there were no eyes to watch him, no would-be wife tittering her sweet nothings into the cusp of his ear. Morgana was full of bold ideas and was eager to plan for there nuptials. Brocade would be happy so long as she was happy, and so it was that he left her to hr plans. Out here in the neutral forests he could smell cooking meat and the gentle thrum that announced that he was close to the Tavern. Morgana would never come so far from their home, and as Brocade passed a curvy traveller he couldn’t help but allow a low whistle to creep out from between his teeth – his jaws parted into a wolfish grin.

Out here he was nothing, and he reported to no one.

He pushed his way into the bar with a grunt and made his way straight to the bar. He deposited a fat rabbit upon the counter and rapped his knuckles against the hardwood to catch the barkeepers attentions. Inside the room was dim despite the daylight outside, and the scents were a mixed bag of mead and sweat, dogs and wolves. As the drink was shoved toward him Brocade hoisted the ale to his lips, eager to drink away whatever insecurities nibbled at his insides.

One scent that wafted toward him was more familiar than the rest, and so when he turned his head he was not surprised to find Krios with a pretty dog upon his arm.

He swaggered towards him with a stern expression – for he thought of Kamari and wondered what it was that Krios was doing so far from his pretty jackal wife.

”Magnus!” He boomed, rubbing shoulders with the teal-eyed man jovially, ”Fancy running into you here.” He glanced at the woman and held out his hand, ”I heard someone call your name over there-“ He gestured with his thick muzzle, ”You should go and see what they want.”

>:)

Salsola
The Inquisitor
Amanda
Luperci Vedetto, Milite
you forget I have a gypsy heart
listen to the wild

POSTED: Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:44 pm

The woman laughed in his ear as he murmured something to her under his breath. He was not quite sure what sort of pleasantry he had uttered for her to such a low laugh, bubbling up from her belly in a way that suggested she was more interested in him than whatever poor joke he had made. The barkeep placed down watered down wine and some ruddy beer before him. Krios slid the broad fluted wine vessel toward the woman and dragged the mug of beer toward himself.

Krios turned toward the woman, whose warm eyes seemed glued to him and his noticeably fit frame. He was no loner scavenging for scraps and that seemed to be more than enough for those evolutionary instincts to lure in the female flesh. Warning bells went off in his head, despite his inebriation, but he ignored all but the loudest one.

Then came the call of a painfully familiar voice and a name that he wore out of the borders like an ill-fitting cloak. Krios winced as he turned in his seat to see Brocade approach him and brush against him. He wished he had not taken that name in his brash and bold youth and had taken something a little more appropriate to what he was.

Ahh, old friend, he greeted with the faint slurring of a man well into what was definitely not his first cup. Krios could not remember for the life of him what name Brocade took, the word appearing and disappearing in his head moments before his tongue could force it out.

Oh, I suppose so, said the woman with an air of disappointment. Krios almost reached out to grab her wrist but the logical alarms finally pierced the veil of fog. He sighed heavily as he watched the curvaceous woman saunter away toward a duo of ladies who did not seem too upset to see her join them for the moment. Krios turned to his uncle, wariness on his heavily-lidded eyes.

Duties all done for the day, I take it? he asked as vaguely as he could manage, knowing that his first words should have been some sort of rational for why he had been in a decidedly not platonic conversation with a pretty girl. He had no real excuse or reason and Brocade was unlikely to really raise a fuss about such a thing. At least, Krios figured.

I'm not doing anything wrong, he added finally, unable to suppress all of his guilty feelings.

Krios Revlis
Come touch me like I’m an ordinary man. Have a look in my eyes. Underneath my skin there is a violence

Salsola
The Inquisitor
Gen
Bloode Moste Potente
buy back the secrets

POSTED: Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:18 am

”For today atleast.” Brocade turned his mug between his hands, watching the way that Krios’ head shook ever so slightly as the woman trailed her fingers against his fur. Away from Salsola the territories were split by Outsiders and filled with temptation – all of which the vedetto knew well. Krios swayed gently in his seat like a blade of grass that had not found its place amongst the rest, and Brocades lips twitched with a hesitant smile as he lowered himself into the seat alongside him.

The woman glared at him as she dawdled toward her friends, and Brocade offered a tiny wave before allowing himself to concentrate on Krios. It was a picture that Brocade knew well, a man lost to the complications of the heart - forced to drown themselves in drink in an effort to feel something other than deep and latent shame. He had considered it more than once since becoming engaged to Morgana Revlis, but something had held him back. He patrolled the borders and looked for ways to escape, but somehow he knew that the flame-haired woman would always call him home.

Elphaba he tried to think less of, but she was always there - just out of reach.

The soldier leaned back in his chair, lazily slinging an arm across the table as he glanced toward his nephew. ”I never said that you were.” One of his brows rose as he took a long dreg from his cup, ”Is everything alright?” There was some seriousness to the tone of his voice despite the mirth that glittered in his eyes.

Salsola
The Inquisitor
Amanda
Luperci Vedetto, Milite
listen to the wild

POSTED: Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:01 pm

Krios did not know what his uncle was thinking, his thoughts difficult to understand. Brocade was significantly more sober than he himself was, but he was also not as simple as he seemed to be. Krios knew that his uncle could have certain attitudes that showed he was more easy-going, but he was a high-ranking man, their Director. There was a reason for it and it was not arbitrarily earned. Brocade was no fool and there was no way that he would be deceived by his nephew.

He leaned on his elbow, needing it somewhat for balancing the occasional swimming of his vision. He glared at Brocade despite the guilt that had started to gnaw at his belly. He was not a child to be checked up on. But he knew that it did not bode well if the Director was witness to his foolishness. Krios was playing far too loosely with the guidelines of their existence and it was likely that someone would soon notice how far the noble Revlis bastard fell.

His lips tightened, then he relaxed them just to get a drink in. Of course everything is fine. I'm here to enjoy a drink in my downtime. Is that a crime? His words were sharp, meaning things were decidedly not fine. Everything is fine. Everything was wrong. Just fine. Please help me. Instead, he put his mug to his mouth and drank, feeling that sharp prickle of hatred in his heart, hatred for himself.

And why are you here? I thought you'd stay home more with a lady on your arm, he added bitterly, mostly because he had a lady himself and yet there he was, wasting his life away with a mug in his hands.

Krios Revlis

Salsola
The Inquisitor
Gen
Bloode Moste Potente
buy back the secrets

POSTED: Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:24 am

There was so much about his nephew that Brocade did not know. While he sat across from his he inspected the lines of his face, the way his expression twitched and danced with the drink that coursed through him – and as Brocade spoke he could see the way Krios struggled to focus. The Valentine attempted to a joke, though it fell flat on the table between them.

”A crime?” Brocade raised his brows and sipped from his own mug, ”Who said anything about a crime?” Foam speckled his lips and he lapped it away, using the back of his wrist to wipe away anything that remained. ”My lady is busy – I do not need to be with her all the time.” He chuckled and nudged Krios, ”We still find one another when the time calls for it.”

Morgana always seemed to sense when Brocade required her most – when the thoughts of Elphaba grew to be too much to bear.

He thought of her less now, though when he did it was always with that infernal crown – the gift that had started everything. ”How often do you come here?” Brocade glanced at the women who clustered together down the bar, ”They seem to know you.”

Salsola
The Inquisitor
Amanda
Luperci Vedetto, Milite
listen to the wild

Sticks and Stones