Them Bones, Them Bones, Them Dry Bones

AW - Drifter's Bay

POSTED: Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:07 pm

Time: Roughly dawn or just after
Place: Drifter Bay in the Sticks and Stones Area
Weather: A mix of sun and cloud with high temperatures and a lot of humidity.

It's dawn in Drifter Bay, and it's hot. Your character has found a large, strange shell.

The ammonite curled in a tight spiral, its pale outline pressed hard into the shard of black stone. Shale's red eyes went up the cliff it'd fallen from, squinting in the morning light. She was silent as the lines and impressions became known to her, stark in the cliff's shallow crevices. The wall of ancient rock was only ten or twelve feet high, but as the vista revealed itself, it seemed greater.

There, on display like a cross-section from time itself, was a horde of fossils. Worn away by time and weather, the prints of long-dead leaves were round and dark. Bleached bones pushed out from limestone like their beasts were coming back to life. There above her a long fish stretched out, swimming in a vast sea lost to the ages. Shale wandered over to the wondrous scene, pocketing the ammonite on the inside of her coat. Her hand stretched forward, fingers ginger and slow as they ran across the rough-hewn edge of a rib. It looked almost as long as Shale as tall, curving into the natural wall like a thorn.

Shale could only imagine what kinds of monsters bound themselves to these bodies. She had seen sharks larger than her dugout, and fish half her size and bigger, but never something like this. Even the shale-fossils the village elders had only bore small bugs and plants from before. If Shale tilted her head back, she could see the edge of what looked like a massive centipede mixed with a catfish. The dark wolf shuddered a little at the thought of the creature crawling along the sea floor.

Walking along the wall, her hand didn't move as it followed along the rib. Shale's brow pinched as she wondered where the rib might come from. Perhaps this had been a whale, having about the same size and dimensions as whalebone - at least, Shale hoped it did.
Loners
Wolf
Dale
Luperci

POSTED: Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:07 am

WORDS

It had been a long time since she’d been here. The way the air both smelled of swamp and the bay nearby was almost nostalgic to her. It had been a long time, longer than she intended, that she’d been away. She almost felt like a stranger in new lands, except these were the lands she was born in, grew up in, and would most likely die in… if she didn’t leave again.

Even though she just arrived last night, back from Portland, she still felt the wanderlust. Where would she wander to? Well, that was up to her right now. Would she continue or stop here?

The tall stalks of sunflowers to the east caught her eye, but she hadn’t any reason to go there. Movement in the distance caught her eye as she watched a woman stare down at something in her hands. Treasure? A river rock? Lithia couldn’t say she really cared enough to ask, and attempted to carry on passed the stranger.

[Form: Optime | Date: --] Sorry! Lithia doesn’t exactly… pry in other people’s business xD
This: Sammiie | Stock: Dawnthieves | Textures: Sirius-sdz
Salsola
The Family
Sammiie
Luperci Your poison taints my blood
hardest of hearts
and from it she fled

POSTED: Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:07 pm

OOC: I apologize for the wait on this reply.

A scent. Footsteps. Shale's nose twitched, an ear flicked, and she pocketed whatever treasures she held. There was sea and stone all around her, tinged with the dust of the dead and buried. Yet, as she inhaled and listened carefully, she could smell wolf on the ocean air. Some canine was moving through the edge of the sunflowers, not far from Shale and the short cliff. The big Luperci took a step, hackles not yet raised but stance cautious.

"'Lo?" the black wolf cried out. "Anyone there?" At the back of her mind, she thought in brief of Milos. Krokar. There were marshy notes and the soft scent of wood in the stranger's scent, but nothing as salty and fishy as the pack's. She thought of the settlement she'd found after Krokar, at the edge of far-flung Labrador. Close to where the Arctic began, it had a cold, sharp smell to it, and she could smell wet metal and stone and fresh blood. There was no blood here, but rust - it reminded Shale of them all the same.

Longing gripped her heart. She almost called out the names of those she knew. Shale quieted her anxieties down and waited, but stood on near-tiptoes. Straining to listen, she was ready to fight or flee.... Maybe even to run to those she'd once known.
Last edited by Shale on Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Loners
Wolf
Dale
Luperci

POSTED: Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:24 am

WORDS

The coast’s winds whipped into her ears, muffling all outside sounds with a steady white noise sound. The stranger called out to her, even as she walked away, and were it not due to the wind, Lithia might’ve paused, lifted her head, and looked back. Instead, it took her a minute to realize the break in the white noise sound was for her, and when she stopped, she had not turned around to the other. Silently, she considered continuing forward and ignoring the other entirely. That would be the smarter thing to do, no? Ignore them and continue? She’d get to her destination faster for sure; she wouldn’t get herself into any trouble.

What trouble was to be had anyway? It wasn’t like she was crossing through pack lands or ransacking someone’s campsite. She was just walking in neutral lands, owned by no one.

Lithia turned toward the noise, seeing the dark figure again. The two seemingly met eyes in the distance, and Lithia took in their scent carried by the strong ocean breeze. She held it a moment, seeming to be thinking but drawing a blank instead. When she released the breath in a short puff, she went over to the other wolf.

”I apologize for disturbing you… I was hoping to pass through here without any issue. There is no issue, right?”

[Form: Optime | Date: --] No worries! Honestly, with how slow my replies are and will continue to be, I recommend not rushing replies for this thread <3
Salsola
The Family
Sammiie
hardest of hearts
and from it she fled

POSTED: Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:55 pm

OOC: I extend the same to you: please don't worry about quick replies to this thread. If I respond quickly at any point, it's because I had a burst of inspiration for a particular scene I wanted to write.

Shale met the other's blossom-pink eyes for less than a second. Hers fell to the side, ears flattening back a fraction. Tail curling under her coat, she said, "N-no ma'am...I wish you no trouble," and dipped her muzzle. "It's...it's been a while since I traveled these lands. I'm still gathering from passers-by what's changed in the last two or three years. I've heard of packs disappearing, and now loners disappearing somewhere around Drifter's Bay. Rumors, most of it.... But there is truth in rumor."

Shale gestured at the grand display of ancient beasts beside them. The sun outlined every tooth and bone it shone across, framing them in dramatic shades of gray-brown and black. The greatest of painters or carvers couldn't have made the same with wood, stone or canvas. "Things like this have...religious significance. People come to them to worship ancestors or things lost past. Older things, too, that make the world. You never know when a pack or...or one of the 'bands', they call them around here now, might spring up around them. It would be a mite uncouth if I was stomping around someone's sacred ground."

She shrugged, the gesture half-motioned at the stranger. "Hence why I called you over. To put it bluntly: I'm lost. I don't know much about where I should or shouldn't go."
Loners
Wolf
Dale
Luperci

POSTED: Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:34 am

WORDS

The first thing she noticed about the other was her missing limb, which made Lithia mentally reel back. She hated seeing things like that… like war wounds. Something that should be there, but was missing. So strange, so unnatural. Lithia tried not to stare, and instead averted her eyes to the ocean, and eventually back upon the other Luperci’s face entirely. She tried not to pay any mind to the lack of shadow to the female’s left. She tried to focus on other things.

”Disappearances, you said?” Lithia questioned, wondering if it was about Salsola and their habits of taking trespassers as slaves. ”Packs come and go like the seasons. War, conflict, and disinterest sink them like the ships on the horizon. There’s really nothing mystical about that… Luperci, though. That’s concerning.”

”I’m sure you’d know rather quickly if you were trespassing.” At least on pack territory, they’d run down the trespasser, and in most normal situations, give them a chance to explain themselves. The missing-limbed-woman might’ve been whisked away to the Trells’ island by now if her pack had anything to say about it. ”Where were you intending to go? I could probably point you in the right direction in the least.”

[Form: Optime | Date: --] Thanks!
Salsola
The Family
Sammiie
hardest of hearts
and from it she fled

POSTED: Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:56 pm

Stares didn't bother Shale. In a world like theirs, animals and Luperci with missing limbs were walking targets. Some packs cared for them, others exiled them, and some made sure they didn't live past their first hours. Her gaze remained on the stranger even if the other's broke, and Shale pursed her lips as the woman spoke.

"Concerning only because I don't know if there's a slave trader working in the area. That, or bandits who've gotten a little too brave. Not good for families traveling or youngsters going out to hunt past their borders." Shale didn't care to comment on the fact about packs coming and going. It took all her focus not to think of Krokar, or for the emotions associated to show on her face. Her ears did perk at the mention of directions.

"It would be appreciated," the dark wolf said. "I'd rather not pick a bone with anyone who has claims to the area. I'm not in the habit of being disrespectful to borders drawn. Even a fool knows it wouldn't end well." There was a dark note at the end of her tone, and a deepening of her usual frown before it returned to its impassive, neutral norm.

"If you know anywhere travelers like to stock up, I'd also appreciate that. I'm interested in any outposts the loners might've put up."
Loners
Wolf
Dale
Luperci

POSTED: Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:50 am

WORDS

It was kind of the armless woman to think of youngsters and those of other packs being swept up by these mysterious disappearances. It was too bad that the same kindness did not reflect back on Lithia. The white-tinged woman shrugged at the thought. ”That’s their problem. Most packs are in the know when danger like this is lurking near their borders; most are swift to take action to ensure it doesn’t take their members.”

Slavers were certainly a concern for a Luperci that perhaps did not know how to defend themselves from assault. Again, Lithia couldn’t say much to that. If her mother had given her anything, it was the tools to ensure nothing would ever happen to her against her will.

”Borders are... usually marked heavily. You’d know.” She couldn’t understand what this female kept going on about trespassing and crossing borders. Unless you’re nose-blind, it’s pretty hard to walk into claimed lands without noticing within the first mile. Lithia inwardly sighed, but did not say a word about the female’s ignorance. Instead, she began pointing toward the northwest.

”Up that way, there’s a little trading port a couple miles before you hit Freetown. The Red Star took out most of what was previously set up there, but there are a few traders that stuck to the area even after the star wiped everything out. It’s also on the way to Portland, so it’s handy. If you’re looking for something a bit closer, you can try nosing around any city ruins you find here. Amherst is one of them, nearest to here. Plenty of traders set up shop there because they know quite a few Luperci like to nose around in the ruins.”

”Where do you stay? I’m a trader, too, though too bad I don’t have my wares with me. What types of things are you looking for?”

[Form: Optime | Date: --] Thanks!
Salsola
The Family
Sammiie
hardest of hearts
and from it she fled

POSTED: Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:00 pm

It never occurred to Shale she might be going nose-blind. How shocked would the tracker have been to realize that, as the years passed, her sense of smell had weakened. As a stone might roll downhill, turning slow until it picked up destructive speed, so too had the changes in her gone unnoticed. A testament to this was Shale's half-hearted shrug, the bitch muttering, "It happens."

"Amherst. I'll remember that." Her ears perked at the mention of the other woman being a trader. How better could her luck get that morning?

"It depends," Shale explained. "By trade I'm a tracker, both for prey and any Luperci you might be looking for. I can offer labor for goods or for services you might provide. As for goods of my own, I usually trade small prey and wild fruit, along with anything made of wood I come up with. Give me a few days and I can make you enough snares to cover a couple of square miles. Good if you have a pack to go back to or a family to feed."

Shale thought a bit more. "Pelts, too. I know something of tanning and I can stitch pelts together into blankets, at least. Not much experience with making the finger things, but that doesn't mean I can't learn or don't want to try."
Loners
Wolf
Dale
Luperci

Dead Topics