oh father, tell me

aw

POSTED: Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:08 am

And way down we gO

Grunts and groans could be heard around the bay, no doubt belonging to Urho as he gripped the dead log tightly in his arms. It had fallen in a path, likely due to storms or age, but he always like to prove his strength, either to himself or to others. He heaved and strained, pushing it up further and further with the dirt swallowing his feet. It weighed almost as much as he did, he imagined as he struggled to flip it over and off the beaten path. Soon enough, he felt the weight fall away as the log tipped over and fell away from him. "Ha!" he laughed to himself, beating on his chest with a fist. "Det er hvad jeg taler om!"

He brushed his hands together, wiping off the dirt and plant matter from the log before picking his rucksack back up and slinging it over his shoulder, rattling with all of the odds and ends he had inside. A lot of it was for his training, but some of it was from home. His shirt his mother made was one of his greatest possessions, but it was much to hot to wear it. Instead, Urho walked about with only his pants and the wrappings around his joints, as he usually did in summer months. His bow, quiver, and axe were stowed away but the khukuri knife was sheathed between his back and the bag, allowing him to pull it out if needed.

He'd been walking for days — horses weren't really an option for him at the moment — and his legs and back were starting to feel the toll. Instead of sitting and resting, he decided to press on, knowing he was nearing his destination.

ooc | [wc — 288] template by hilli
COMMISSIONS ALWAYS OPEN! PM FOR QUESTIONS!
Salsola
The Confidant (NPC)
Titmouse
Luperci

POSTED: Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:18 am

Xylia rested on the shore of the bay. She merely listened to the cries of the seagulls and the gentle sound of water kissing the rocky shore, her eyes having drifted closed a long time ago. She loved being near the water. It eased her thoughts and brought her to a place of serenity, in a way that nothing else could.

Suddenly a noise disturbed her, auburn ears twisted to capture the grunts emanating from somewhere in the distance. Lazily she lifted her muzzle and looked over her shoulder, green apple eyes opening ever so slowly. The canine voice was deep and masculine, and her eyes widened with inherent fear. Lone males frightened her, a bias sparked by her knowledge of what her father had done to her mother. Logically she knew that most males were good and kind, but that fact did nothing to quell the fear creeping upon her.

With a sigh Xylia looked down at her front paws, trying to force into them the will to get up and leave her resting place. Eventually she did, slowly, leaning backwards and then deeply forwards in a reluctant stretch. With one last gaze of the bay, Xylia turned and began on the path back to her home.

But she was too late.

Her blood turned to ice as the hulking male approached. Not only was he massive, large muscles rippling throughout his form, but he also carried a blade behind his rucksack. The wolfdog wished for once that she was in her optime form, with her freshly sharpened dagger ready for defense. But that wasn't the case. Her lips had fallen agape at the sight of the dark furred male. Now they spoke out to him.

S-orry. You startled me a little. Despite the initial stutter, Xylia's voice was now strong, confident.

(000) hello there! I hope you don't mind me.

Stock: Dawnthieves | Textures: MercuryCode | This: Sammiie

Killi

POSTED: Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:23 am

And way down we gO

Would he have expected to see someone so soon out here? Probably not, Urho knew how remote areas could be when it came to populations, especially in areas with more wilderness than civilization. Back across the ocean, the countryside had dense cities spanned across a large percentage of the land, despite being smaller than the Western continents. Here, there weren't as many buildings to find and things were much more spread out, especially so as he got further north.

And yet, he was lucky enough to pass by a lone soul out here. They spoke up with a slight stutter at first, saying that he had startled them despite not intending to do so. "Undskyld," he offered, remembering to switch to English. "I did not know anyone was out here." Seeing a lone pile of rocks, Urho sat down on the curved surface, relieved to take the weight off of his legs for a while.

"This is Halifax, right?" he pointed to the ground, as if to signify the area rather than the immediate spot they were in. "I have no map and I don't know this place." He reached down to his knee with one of his hands, rubbing it roughly to massage out the pain. "Lort, det gør ondt..." he seethed through his teeth as he continued to massage his knee.

nah brah nah | [wc — 223] template by hilli
Salsola
The Confidant (NPC)
Titmouse
Luperci

POSTED: Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:26 pm

Unlike many, Xylia preferred the wilder regions of the area. Even Jordheim, small a town as it was, occasionally felt like too much hustle and bustle for the quasi-feral wolfdog, and that was why she had left her home to look at the quiet bay.

The beast of a Luperci appeared surprised to have come across another in the remote bay area, mirroring the girl's own shock by his presence. He made no move to harm her, addressing her in a cordial manner to be expected of two strangers meeting for the first time. The tension within her eased, and she cupped her ears toward him to catch his words. The first was spoken in a language she did not recognize, but the male quickly reverted to English - albeit with an equally exotic and unexpected accent.

After remarking about his surprise, he choose a smooth round rock to rest upon, asking about their location.

Mmm, Xylia thought aloud, her brow furrowing for a second. I believe so. The city is nearby. But I hardly ever go there. If she needed something, she went to Saint John, the smaller of the two cities. Halifax was just too much for her.

Is that where you are going? The city? she asked, becoming curious about the imposing though so far non threatening wolf.

(000) .

Killi

POSTED: Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:17 pm

And way down we gO

Even though the vastness of cities scared him, Urho wasn't entirely adverse to them. True, he was used to being on his own, away from the beaten path, but his time spent in Stockholm desensitized him to such fears. At least now, as they began to converse, the other wolf started to ease up and didn't seem to wary of him anymore. He may have been a wide, stocky creature, his height was average at best, perhaps even below average depending on what he was compared to. Though "fat" was a word tossed at him quite a bit, Urho thought of himself more as "burly" than anything else.

He shrugged at the question. "Don't know. I was directed up here by traders in the port to the south — Freetown." The trader had mistaken him for his father, but it was probably the best lead he had on him. "No specifics, just... 'go north to Halifax'. No road map or anything." His hand switched to his other knee, massaging out the knot before stretching his legs out in front of him.

"I might need to make camp in this area, though. I've walked the whole way and my legs don't agree with me anymore," he chuckled, his deep voice broken up in short giggles. "Rest is best. No idea what is around here, though." This place didn't seem so desolate as his home, but it felt much more unfamiliar and he didn't like it. Plus, it was still quite warm here, though that would probably change soon in the passing months.

ooc | [wc — 260] template by hilli
Salsola
The Confidant (NPC)
Titmouse
Luperci

POSTED: Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:16 am

Now that they were closer to one another Xylia noticed that there was a roundness to his frame, but that made him no less of something to be feared. She would be cautious, always cautious, but the male seemed to have other things on his mind than assaulting her. He was looking for Halifax, and in his voice she sensed frustration towards whomever had given him initial directions.

Well. Xylia knew the lands very well, having ventured through them countless times throughout her life, living as a lone explorer after her separation from her mother and brother. I can try to help you. I know my way around here. her words lacked any boastful note, rather they were spoken with confidence, a statement of fact.

Halifax is located on the isthmus, going east from here and then south, explained Xylia, sitting on her hunches and daintily wrapping her long tail about her front paws.

But if you chose that route you must be wary of the coyote pack. Inferni. Go around it, and keep your distance. They can be nasty, deceitful things. She had known coyotes, good and bad, but she was bright enough not to meddle with an entire pack of the smaller, but voracious canines. After that, go south, and then west again. Halifax is not far into the isthmus itself... Or, if you are willing to swim, there is a narrow channel in the central shore of the bay. It will take you directly onto this isthmus, and Halifax is not much further south from there. Hopefully her explanation would be clear enough for the foreigner to understand.

I could shift and draw you a map in the sand, if you like. Since you're thinking of camping here tonight. She had nothing better to do.

(000) .

Killi

POSTED: Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:38 am

And way down we gO

Though Urho could be understood for the most part, English was sometimes difficult for him, especially when it came to pronunciations. It was very nasally to his ear with no trills, sounding very bland to some extent. Danish was gutteral, with lots of words stitched together in speech, while Finnish had long strings of words with trills peppered in between. He did not know Spanish or Portuguese, but he had heard it spoken while in Lisbon and it was much more pleasing to the ear than English for some odd reason.

He tried to imitate the word she used, but he didn't understand it. "Is...esth...thhhh..." he struggled, shaking his head after a moment. "I don't know that word." Then she spoke of a coyote group called Inferni to the southeast that was to be avoided. Urho let out a small scoff, never having been in contact with coyotes before. If they were anything like jackals, they would be a piece of cake to deal with. All he had to do was sit on one and it would probably break under him.

Following her directions became a struggle for him, unable to draw it out in his mind. However, she offered to draw him a map in the sand, to which his floppy ears perked up comically. "Yes!" he piped. "Map. Map is good. Please." It would be a lot easier for him to see it physically than try to piece it together in his mind using words from a language he'd only recently started speaking.

ooc | [wc — 257] template by hilli
Salsola
The Confidant (NPC)
Titmouse
Luperci

POSTED: Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:15 pm

Urho appeared confused by her descriptive directions. He tried to imitate the word "isthmus" but it was beyond his language capabilities. Xylia immediately felt badly for going into such detail. Of course he would not understand her - he barely even spoke English. Not only that, but as he struggled with her fancy geographical vocabulary Xylia realized that "isthmus" was not even the word she had interned to use.

I am sorry, said the wolfdog. She shook her head, ashamed. I meant to say "peninsula." It's just a small piece of land that branches out from the mainland. But I'm happy to draw you a map.

With that, the embarrassed female shifted into her humanoid form, the form she liked the least and felt most uncomfortable in. Xylia was a woman of her word, and she owed it to him to help him reach his final destination. She walked towards the water a few feet, picking up the large stick that rested in the sand. Then she did as she had promised, drawing for him a crude map of the land as she knew it. She made two x's, one where they stood on drifter bay, the the other marking Halifax. She drew two separate lines signifying the routes that connected the two places.

I am no artist, but I hope this will help you. She smiled softly, setting the drawing stick down beside the map. We never introduced ourselves. My name is Xylia.

(000) .

Killi

POSTED: Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:10 am

And way down we gO

She apologized and tried to explain what she mean to say, further explaining the word she intended to use. "I know what 'peninsula' is," he waved dismissively, more concerned about the creation of the map than anything else.

After she shifted, a crude map was drawn out in the sand with Urho leaning over it expectantly, rubbing his chin and studying the coastlines and the locations carefully. They weren't too far from Halifax, but it would still be a fair journey by foot. "Hmm," he hummed in a low tone, focusing intently on the map. So much so, that he almost missed her introduction afterwards. "Oh." He looked up, shaking his head slightly. "Urho Sørensen," he replied, the name rolling off his tongue in trills and deep vowels. His name was quite foreign to English speakers for sure, his given name rather difficult for some, but he let people approximate to the best of their ability. He was in a distant land, after all.

Turning his attention back to the map, Urho slipped the rucksack off his shoulders and rustled through it, finding a scrap piece of cloth inside. "Perfekt," he murmured under his breath, pulling out a small needle from a case and going back to lean over the map in the sand. Carefully, he poked the skin on the meat of his thumb, dotting out his best recreation of the map on the cloth using his blood as the ink.

It wasn't the best either, but it would do for him. "Tak" he nodded to her, folding up the cloth and placing it in a pocket for later reference. He then took another spare strip of cloth and wrapped it around his hand. "That should be good enough."

ooc | [wc — 290] template by hilli
Salsola
The Confidant (NPC)
Titmouse
Luperci

POSTED: Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:14 am

Once the map was drawn Urho almost exclusively focused his attention on it, barely mutteri ng his name in response to her introduction. Her brow furrowed as she tried to wrap her mind around the name he gave, laced so tightly in foreign dialect that Xylia was almost certain she had not understood it correctly. That meant she was in trouble if she ever had reason to call to him again by name. Xylia decided that, if she wished to spare herself the embarrassment, she would need to avoid using his name at all.

He took his time with the map, so Xylia returned her gaze to the bay, where it belonged. The golden-brown male was so intent upon his map that she almost did not see him move for his rucksack. Her curiosity got the better if her, as it usually did, and she looked his way just in time to see him pull out a few pieces of cloth. And a needle.

Chartreuse eyes narrowed in immediate alarm as the wolf used the needle to draw droplets of ruby blood.

What are you...? Oh. The female could not say she had ever seen anyone use their own blood as ink. Her pale jaw dropped, then closed again as she watched him sketch a bloody rendition of her sand map l. When he had finished this task, Urho wrapped his tiny wound in another piece of cloth and thanked her.

You're welcome, she spoke automatically, suddenly feeling breathless, awkward. You must really need to get where you are going. She observed lightly, hoping he would offer to elaborate. There had to be some explanation for why he had let his own blood for the sake of having a copy of her map. Rather than just studying it a moment and committing it to memory.

(000) .

Killi

Dead Topics