[M] I feel stupid and contagious

Skana!

POSTED: Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:39 pm

WARNING: This thread contains material exceeding the general board rating of PG-13. It may contain very strong language, drug usage, graphic violence, or graphic sexual content. Reader discretion is advised.

Avinalora
"There's no such thing as a happy ending"
Optime | Day, Late April |between Arisaig Shoal and Black River Reserve
So maybe Skana could catch Ellwyn or something?
WORD COUNT

A horse and its rider trotted through the forest. The horse was a silver mare, a small one with two different colored eyes. The horse had a small saddle and the only luggage other than the rider was a small cane. The rider was tiny, small, and delicate-looking. She was skinny and underfed. Her tail was long and fluffy, a bottlebrush tail that seemed like it should be on a fox. The female had long legs and seemed like she would be built for speed, if only. She had a narrow face and a muzzle that didn't taper. She had long ears that seemed to be too big for her head.

Her fur was a startling shade of silver, almost like snow on a moonbeam. It was an unnatural shade for a jackal but she wasn't as pure of a jackal as she would want to be. A grey saddle ran down her back, stretching from the back of her ears to her tail. Scattered through the grey cape were black hairs. The saddle ended at her tail with a white tip. She was in Optime form and her ebony hair was pulled tightly into a ponytail. She had a green eye.

She was bundled up quite well despite it being spring. A light grey long-sleeved shirt was worn under a leather jacket. The jacket had two layers, a cloth layer under the leather. The jacket had a cloth hood that was pulled over her head and had holes for her ears. She wore a pair of jeans that were modified for Luperci use. A wooden pendant in the shape of a crescent moon hung from her neck.

A cloth bandage was wrapped over the left side of her face. It obscured what used to be the left side of her face which was now four claw marks scratched over an empty eye socket. She didn't look very healthy either. If one could look under the layers of clothes she wore, they would see a skinny frame, even more skinny than usual for her. She gritted her teeth and swore every time she was jolted while riding the horse.

Avinalora had gone through a lot in a short time. She had lost her pack, been attacked several times, lost her eye, and now she was going through this. A sickness had come to Anathema and leaving bodies in its wake. People had died, the former Angela Aeron was gone. And so many others. Adrian was starting to vomit, Stormblade's muscles were sore, and Luna was wheezing. Her family was getting sick and she didn't know how to cure this illness.

The fox maiden was freaking out and there was a nagging feeling at the pit of her empty stomach. She had brought a loner into Anathema, a loner with appetite loss from an abortion via poison. What if she had brought the sickness to Anathema! The vixen would never forgive herself if she did. She didn't know why she wasn't sicker than she should be. She didn't remember the last time she had eaten and her left leg was in pain. She didn't remember the last time she had gotten a full night's sleep. She deserved worse than just this. This was mild compared to how her current pack-mates were faring.

The winter wraith decided that she had arrived at a place where herbs may grow. She pulled at Ellwyn's reins, stopping the horse. She was lucky that the mare had managed to not get sick. She needed to get herbs and with her injury and leg, she needed another type of transportation. So horse it was. The waif grabbed her cane and started to dismount the horse on the left side, but she slipped and fell from the horse, landing on her right side, thankfully.

"Fuck!" The desert fox yelped as she hit the ground, her cane falling next to her. The horse reared and ran, thankfully not trampling her. That fall sent pain coursing though her wound and leg. She gritted her teeth and then slowly began getting to her feet. She hadn't injured herself but once she had gotten to her feet, her hand went into her pocket and pulled out a bottle. The girl took out a poppy seed and piece of willow bark and ate it.

"Well fuck you too, Ellwyn." The silver lady huffed towards the horse. She didn't feel like chasing after her steed, not like she could run. The horse might come back. She leaned on her cane as she glanced around, sniffing the air while checking her jacket for tears. This was a really nice jacket. And she like it. Once the woman decided that she was safe, she began scenting the air for herbs that she could find. She needed herbs to treat her pack's illness, or at least try to help them.

The moon-washed medic began walking, smelling the air, trying to find the scents of any herbs she could use. Borage leaves could bring down the fevers that some people had. Burnet, chamomile, lamb's ear, ragweed, and ragwort to give the ill strength. Feverfew, tansy, juniper, and lavender would be helpful for the people with breathing problems. The healer's tail lashed as she felt her bandage itch and as she thought and worked.

The moonlit jackal smelled pine. She could use the needles and twigs to help alleviate her pack mate's colds and coughs. Maybe she would be able to find walnut to make tea for energy. She would need a lot of herbs to treat this sickness. She missed the Herbalist's Avalon in Midnight Shores. But she wasn't a Midnighter anymore, she was an Anatheman.

The snowy Volac hoped that her pack wouldn't fall, she didn't think she would survive such a blow. As she thought, her hand went into the satchel that she carried and pulled out a knife. She limped over to a pine tree, leaning heavily on her cane and began shearing off the bark and needles from the branches. She placed the pine into a bag.

The monochrome fox furiously sheared off the bark and needles off of another branch, working in a frenzied pace. She had worked herself ragged caring for her pack mates, and had no qualms with working herself down to the bone. She deserved this.

And then the scarred doctor remembered that she would need a ride home since she was much slower now since she couldn't shift into Secui form because of her injury and she wasn't very fast because of her leg and injury.

"God fucking damn!" The Anatheman healer exclaimed as she realized that her ticket home was gone.

Silverfrost
Luperci
Somebody make me feel alive
The queen of a wretched design
I walk through the fire

POSTED: Fri May 05, 2017 1:29 pm

SKANA CREO
If I showed you my flaws, if I couldn't be strong
Optime | NPC: Muddy
Related to Spring Sickness plot.

Sorry for the wait! @______@ Also, sorry for this giant post >____<
WORD COUNT

Skana had left the care of the quarantine to Keir for the day. As much as she trusted her daughter, Asura, to find the right herbs, she didn’t trust others to not try and attack the yearling so far from home. Asura still had the obvious telltale signs of being a teenager, and even if accompanied by her brother, their training under Vepar and Sully’s tutelage had yet to be completed. In a time where illness had stricken many, the mother had deemed it safer that she leave the pack than sending her children off on their own.

She was confident that Keir would be able to hold down the fort while she was away. It won’t be more than a day, she’d promised the Cessavi. If the pack went up in flames during that time, then well…they were in more trouble than either Keir or she would be able to handle anyways. Accompanying her was Muddy. The chestnut stallion was good at following her lead without her constantly having to direct him with the reins. As well, his presence meant that she could gather more herbs than she would by herself. Riding him was out of the question unless absolutely necessary. The sodden earth would surely sink the large horse, after all.

About her figure was a cloak that her husband had scavenged for her and had cut down to size. At first, she been reluctant to wear it. After all, what was a bit of rain? With some convincing though, she’d donned the water-resistant material. The hood was pulled up and the front had been fastened closed at the neck. She hated how it narrowed her field of vision and how it weighed down on her ears, but, she supposed, it was either that or being sopping wet.

Her journey outside the pack had proven to be a lot less fruitful than she had hoped. With the constant rain and very little sunshine, a lot of plants had yet to be able to mature as they should have. There were many patches she had visited that had either been drowned or were still too immature to pick. It was vexing to say the least, and the Creo’s dark figure continued its trek eastward along the far-off shoreline in hopes of finding something untouched by the copious amount of rainfall.

Another skeleton of a patch was found, and Skana had been in the midst of combing over the good herbs from the bad or immature when Muddy suddenly whinnied. Startled, Skana stood up quickly, her glacier eyes sweeping over the vegetation around them for signs of a threat or someone approaching. There were hoofbeats, and, suddenly, a familiar, silver horse trotted through the nearby forest.

The mare made a beeline to Muddy and the two shared a few nickers and squeals, like two old friends meeting for the first time after a long absence. Skana’s brows knitted together, confused as to why a random horse would be out here…only to realize there was a saddle and gear attached to the hoofed animal, much like Muddy’s.

Skana finished collecting the last of the herbs and slowly approached Muddy and the mare. When the female horse didn’t run off—in fact, she seemed almost curious of Skana—the Creo tentatively reached out for the silver horse’s reins. “Ellwyn?” She asked, stuffing the bag of herbs into one of Muddy’s packs before reaching up to gently pet the mare’s head.

The horse exhaled softly.

“What are you doing out here?” Skana asked, taking a few sniffs, hoping to catch a whiff of whoever her rider might have been. In the aftermath of Midnight Shores’ disbandment, the pack’s livestock had gone in many different directions. At the top of her head, she couldn’t recall where the silver mare had ended up.

A few sniffs though, revealed the answer; Avinalora, and with it, sickness.

Skana exhaled sharply as she realized the accompanying scent. The jackal was a healer like her...but, perhaps her ailments and small size… How bad had the rains and warm weather affected Anathema? She wasn’t sure.

She tied Ellwyn and Muddy’s reins together.

But, she did know that she had to find her ex-packmate.

The Sapien led the way, sniffing and scenting the area. Behind her, Muddy followed, and, being tied to him, so too did Ellwyn. Skana followed the path the mare had made, quietly thankful that the weather hadn’t decided to downpour and wash away the scent trail. The horse appeared to have run quite a ways, and the Creo had started to have grim thoughts on what she might find at the end of the trail—if she was able to find the end of it.

A loud yell in a familiar voice alerted Skana that the mare’s rider was, indeed, still amongst the world of the living, and the she-wolf picked up her pace towards it. “Avinalora!” she called out, hoping that the jackal wasn’t in the process of moving away from her.

She wove around a particularly dense patch of bushes, finally coming within sight of the monochrome female. “Avinalora,” she breathed, looking over her shoulder as the horses filed into the small clearing with her.

Satisfied that she hadn’t lost them, she turned her attention back to the smaller female. The cane that the girl carried was new, and, from her clothing, Skana couldn’t make out much of the jackal’s physical condition. “I found Ellwyn wandering the woods on her own. Are you okay?”

Tell me honestly, would you still love me the same?
Template by Andi || Image by xgauchex

EDIT 20170511: Added link to board-wide plot.
Last edited by Skana Creo on Thu May 11, 2017 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Skana Creo
Avatar by San | Siggy Chibi by Alaine

Songbird
Luperci Mate to Sully
DRIVE ON AND
DON'T LOOK BACK

POSTED: Fri May 05, 2017 10:39 pm

Avinalora
"The path to heaven runs through miles of clouded hell"
Optime | Day | April 30th? | Sticks and Stones

OOC here
Word Count:

Avinalora stamped her cane on the ground. She hoped that Ellwyn would come back, or the vixen wouldn't be able to get home. Or, she would get home at midnight or something. She dumped the last of the pine needles in her bag. She might as well keep working and wait for the horse to come back.

The fox maiden went back to work, walking to another tree near the pine, a walnut tree. And as she did, she began thinking, remembering. She met Maelyx in a walnut grove. And only a day or so ago, they hunted a deer, fought a mountain lion, met a cat, and kissed. She was still unsure of what to do. The waif was afraid. What if the woman left her? Or died from the sickness? A lot of people had left her in her three winters. She had been shattered and broken way too many times.

But, the witch seemed different. She made the winter wraith feel different. And she had never felt something like that for someone. They were similar and yet different. She couldn't describe how the woman made her feel other than different. She knew that something like that, a kiss meant something like a relationship. But, the healer wasn't sure. Relationships meant trusting someone, and she was afraid to trust.

The ghostly jackal was dragged out of her thoughts when she heard a voice. Someone calling her name. The voice was so familiar, and then the smell came. Skana. Once again, they met. But, if the woman wanted herbs, she would have to get them herself. She had her own pack to worry about. But, the sounds of two horses reached the jackal mutt's ears. And then she turned around.

The fox-tailed female turned to see the tall figure of the Creo woman enter her field of vision. A lot changed since they last met. The Volac had changed both physically and emotionally. She looked at the woman with a somewhat guarded look. She leaned on her cane, keeping the weight off of her hurting leg.

"Looks like you found the runaway mare, Doctor Creo." The moon-washed medic said dryly. She addressed the Sapien as a doctor since she was. She almost called the woman Watson. Her tail lashed as her bandage itched. "Just don't expect herbs for the bounty." There was no way the healer would give the ex-Midnighter herbs. Not in this situation with the sickness. Her ears flicked as she stared into the blue eyes of the woman.

The monochrome fox glanced at the horse, giving her a slight glare. "I really hope you don't start acting like Bogomo." The grey-scaled girl said. And then she pulled out her trusty bottle of medications as her leg and face pained her. She took a dose, still watching the she-wolf.

Image | Background | Table by Andi

Silverfrost
Luperci
I walk through the fire

POSTED: Tue May 09, 2017 3:13 pm

SKANA CREO
WORD COUNT

The reception she received was not what Skana had expected from her old packmate. The cold look, the cane and hooded clothing, it all made her look like an old woman who had turned her back on the world. The Sapien might have passed off the look she’d been given as Avianlora’s poor eyesight not recognizing her, but, she had heard Skana’s voice, and, as words poured out of her mouth, it was clear that she knew exactly whom she shared the small clearing with.

Skana’s brows knitted together, and her lips formed a firm line. The rather guarded actions made by the jackal were off-putting, as was her apparent assumption of Skana’s intention for being there. She had been worried for Avinalora’s wellbeing, and she was met with an icy, bitter individual instead. Her motherly instincts of dealing with a moody teenager kicked in, and she found herself reacting as if Asura was before her.

“I’m not here to steal from you, Avinalora,” she stated flatly, her glacier eyes hard as they stared down the smaller woman. She was offended that the Anatheman would think she would do such a thing. Had their past relationship suddenly meant nothing to her? They had been allies once. They had worked together, hunted together. Skana had fought for Avinalora.

A nagging thought whispered at the back of her mind. Had something happened to the jackal in the three months they had been apart? …was Anathema not free of its poisonous fruit?

The Creo didn’t move any closer, and made sure that she was still firmly between the jackal and the horses. If she wanted Ellwyn back, there were questions that needed to be answered first. Preferably, without the strange attitude that Avinalora had contracted.

From Avinalora’s appearance alone, she did appear to have seen better days. One of her eyes had a cloth bandage over it, and with the pained look she made as she downed a foreign substance, it was obvious that Avinalora was in worse health than their previous encounter months before.

Her eyes narrowed onto the bottle. “What is that?” She demanded slowly, like a parent to a child caught with something they shouldn’t have had. Skana’s gaze then moved to the Anatheman’s covered portion of her face. “And what’s happened to you? Your horse reeks of the smell of the illness that’s been going around.”

Skana Creo

Songbird
Luperci Mate to Sully
DRIVE ON AND
DON'T LOOK BACK

POSTED: Tue May 09, 2017 5:45 pm

Avinalora's tail lashed. She looked at Skana with a cold glare. "Sure you aren't." The vixen said with a sarcastic tone. The woman was a healer, she needed herbs. It didn't take a genius to figure this out. People were dying in Anathema. She gave the woman a hard glare. "You say you won't steal, but people lie." She lied, everyone lied. People left after they said they would stay forever. People said they were okay but they weren't.

And then the wolf's attention went to the medicines that the fox maiden took. "I got my eye ripped out," She deadpanned. "Pain management." Her ears flicked as she put the bottle away. She didn't mention the pain from her leg. No need to freak the lady out. She was an adult and she was a healer. Medicating herself was nothing of the woman's concern. "None of your concern." The desert doctor was fine. She could still work and the medication helped her.

And then the Sapien asked what happened to the winter wraith. "How many people died in Sapient?" She asked in a sardonic tone. The Creo didn't seem too scared. People probably didn't die yet. "Seven people died in Anathema. Aeron, Charm, and more. And it's all my fault." The ghostly jackal stated. It wasn't true, but she believed it. She brought Elva to Anathema and the woman could have had the illness. And the jackal brought her to her pack. "I brought that wretch to Anathema and she probably had it." Her icy tone was starting to melt into desperation. She was spiraling, again. "And the only thing I can do is try to help, but I can't find the silver bullet for this fucking sickness."

The monochrome fox looked at the woman again. She knew she was behaving irrationally, and she hated that. But, she was crumbling. "So yeah, I've been on a hell of a bender." And then she returned to scraping bark off the tree.

Word Count ➤ 330

OOC here.

Jean-Sébastien Guénette | JadedReality & 8Moments | Table by Sammiie

Silverfrost
Luperci
I walk through the fire

POSTED: Wed May 10, 2017 1:35 pm

SKANA CREO
WORD COUNT

The jackal’s continued, aggressive body language and accusatory words caused the she-wolf to bare her teeth. “If I wanted to steal them, I would have no problem doing so,” she warned. She had no idea what had happened to put the monochrome woman in such a mood, but, if this was the path she was going to take, Skana was not above reminding her where the power lied between them. Avinalora should have been smarter than that. With her multiple ailments, Skana thought she would have picked her battles better.

“I have my own herbs,” she informed the smaller female icily, “And your horse would fetch a better price on the market than me stealing precious shrubs from an old packmate.” Had she been a creature of lesser loyalty, she might have actually considered taking the hoofed beast with her. It would have saved her the trouble of dealing with the ungrateful jackal before her.

It was rare that Skana resorted to aggression, but her friend’s attitude needed to be checked. It wasn’t even like she was speaking with the same Avinalora anymore, but some Luperci that just looked like her. What in the world had gotten into the Anatheman?

Avinalora answered her question, and Skana’s own tail lashed as a wave of concern washed over her. “By who?” She demanded, ignoring the girl’s stubbornness to give much else up about what was going on with her. Self-medicating, the healer could understand. Such an injury probably hurt like hell, and, seeing as how it was still bandaged, it was likely freshly made. If that man was still around hurting innocent Luperci though? Skana would gladly go out of her way to hunt him down and get revenge for past transgressions.

The conversation shifted to the illness that had been spreading throughout the land, and the question that was shot back at her regarding Sapient caused Skana’s brows to crease. None, she wanted to say, but the jackal continued, listing out names of those Anathema had lost. Her onyx ears fell slightly as she recognized the two that were named, and to think that there were five others? She had thought Sapient had had it bad, but, it was clear that her old pack had suffered much worse.

She let Avinalora continue, deciding it best to let the young woman say what she had to say. Perhaps, letting it all out would bring back the more level-headed Avinalora that she knew. It was obvious that the jackal had suffered some emotional damage from the April rains, and, perhaps, it was because of that that she had acted so harshly before. She was obviously blaming it all on herself.

“Sapient has four others that are skilled in medicine besides myself,” she began, her tone much calmer now, when the jackal busied herself with collecting tree bark. “Keir and I managed to catch the illness early.” They had been lucky. Hasty reaction time, solid leadership to make quick, sound decisions. It had all paid off, and the sophisticated pack had lost only a few cats because of it. Skana failed to mention their death toll, as she was pretty sure Avinalora could have guessed as much by her own rhetorical question.

“The old and the young appear to have been the most affected. Aeron was not in the best of health, and hasn’t been for many years,” she reminded her. It had been why Kentaro had been able to rise to power in the first place, and why the old coyote had left the pack with Charm when Anathema had moved to the Blackmoor Castle. While her return meant she had overcome her previous illness, it had only been a matter of time what with her advanced age and previous medical history, and any healer should have been able to see that from a mile away.

“As for the individual in question, are you telling me that you don’t know?” She quizzed regarding this “wretch” that Avinalora had spoken of. Surely, the signs would have been obvious to the healer if the woman had had the illness. From what it sounded like, the jackal was jumping to conclusions. Think clearly for a moment, Avinalora!

“Sapient was pretty certain that ours was brought in from the rats, but our scouts have brought back reports of other animals outside our territory having been affected too though. That means game animals. Food. If it wasn’t that woman—“ Skana knew not why the individual had been labeled so harshly, but, she was sure it was more out of resentment than it was for something the woman had honestly done on purpose. “—then it could have been the food. We’ve noticed algae collecting on stagnant pools and mold growing in damp areas. If it wasn’t the food, than it was probably the water or the living environment.”

Hammer, hammer, hammer. Fact after fact.

“Nobody knows what’s causing all of this, only that it started once the rains began. Sapient has had five of us working around the clock, and none of us have been able to figure it out. We can only treat what we know. It’s up to the patient’s body to decide whether it’ll fight or give up.” It was a hard pill to swallow, but, one that needed to be done.

Her glacier eyes narrowed on the smaller female. “How many healers does Anathema have now?” The number had been relatively low the last time Skana had run with the pack. There had been only three; her, Bridgett, and Innya. Lyserg had been more of a hermit than helpful, and had weighed more on physical knowledge and expertise than herbs anyway. “And, of them, how many of them actually have experience with this sort of thing? And, of them, how many of them have helped you?”

If Anathema’s death count meant anything, Skana was pretty sure she knew her answer.

Skana Creo

Songbird
Luperci Mate to Sully
DRIVE ON AND
DON'T LOOK BACK

POSTED: Wed May 10, 2017 8:54 pm

OOC Here
Word Count → 866

Avinalora didn't react to Skana baring her teeth. She actually looked non-pulsed. She huffed at the woman's warning. The vixen had a cane, but she knew that the woman was a fighter as much as she was a healer. But, Nyx gave her some instruction, and she did fight a mountain lion, with help of course. She decided to forego a snide comment and instead rolled her eye.

And then the wolf said that she had her own herbs and she would rather steal the winter wraith's horse than herbs. Honestly, the only reason she cared about Ellwyn was that it was her ticket home. The horse was okay, and the jackal liked her, but her heart was starting to grow colder. People left, people died. Same with animals. The healer just crossed her arms and flicked her ears.

And then the she-wolf asked who ripped the fox maiden's eye out. That question was anticipated, but she hadn't develop the best answer. Should she tell the Creo that Nyx did it? The woman did know the Malphas and perhaps if the hybrid provided enough information and explanation, there would be no retaliation. "Nyx suffered a breakdown. With her daughter's death, the guilt, and the Ronan and Szenne shit-storm, I would have expected that. It was my fault, not Nyx's." The girl stated firmly. It was true. If she hadn't reacted without thinking, maybe she would still have an eye.

The glacier-eyed female did seem to know the people that died. Better than the grey-scaled girl had. She barely knew them, and yet she grieved. She only knew their names, but her heart had crumbled when she heard that they died. She had been broken too many times, getting too attached.

Well, Anathema did seem to have more medics than Sapient. But Lyserg didn't exactly count. He seemed to only know about physical ailments which would have been helpful if there wasn't a plague. And yet they managed to catch it early. The ghostly jackal didn't know when the sickness became common knowledge in Anathema, though it seemed to be to late for Aeron and everyone else.

And the ex-Midnighter said that the old and the young were the most affected. That chilled the desert doctor slightly. She began counting off the pups they had on her fingers. Lust's four kids and Nyx's younger brood. She hoped that no other pups would die. They had already lost one pup. The woman also shared that Aeron hadn't been in good health, too. "Yeah. Aeron, Charm, Yindi, Ocke, Mortifera, Gideon, and Lust's and Greed's pup died. Thy all were older people or pups." She said, keeping her tone as emotionless as it could be. "Though I think a few of them died from starvation."

The Sapien then tried to say that Elva didn't bring the sickness to Anathema. Even though part of the fox-tailed female knew it was true, she still couldn't stop blaming herself. But, the girl wasn't eating. Even though she said that it was from an abortion gone wrong, she could have been sick because the poison may have allowed her to contract it. "She wasn't eating and kept chucking up her food. She said she was poisoned after-" The medic paused and then continued, "But, the poison could have made her more susceptible to illnesses. And she was on a ship."

The lady shared that she believed it was from the rats. And how food animals were also affected. But, the woman did say if the loner brought it to Anathema. The wolf also said that it might be caused by water. There was truth in that, and it did seem plausible. The jackal healer nodded and then spoke. "One of my colleagues," She said, trying to not say Maelyx. It was an awkward subject for her after the kiss. "And I discussed that it might be transmitted through fluids and we have imposed a hand-washing regime to make sure."

The woman said that they didn't know how to cure the illness. The brought some relief to the pale pixie. They weren't the only ones in the dark. But, the rest of it seemed like she was trying to tell her not to blame herself. She was already in that stage and it was hard to drag herself out of it. The healer just nodded.

And then the tri-colored wolf asked how many healers Anathema had. "Innya, jackass-I mean Lyserg, me, Marce-something, and Maelyx." The moon-washed maiden said. trailing off slightly at the mention of the witch's name and hoping that a blush didn't show through her silver fur. She shifted awkwardly and was almost relieved when the woman fired another question at her. "Lyserg is as useful as a mule. He's been a pain in the ass and I had to give him a good one to shut him up." The Volac said. "The others are very helpful. Especially Maelyx, the new addition. She's the one that implemented the hand-washing." The mention of the jackal again made her shift awkwardly.

"So, what do we do? Wait for the water to dry up and hope no one else becomes a corpse?" The monochrome fox asked.

Silverfrost
Luperci
I walk through the fire

POSTED: Thu May 11, 2017 11:22 am

SKANA CREO
WORD COUNT

Avinalora was behaving like Skana’s teenagers, and it took every effort for the mother to not simply walk away and leave the jackal to whatever business she had out there. It was obvious her presence was not appreciated, respected, or wanted. Why ruin whatever good thoughts she had of her old packmate with…this?! She would have been better off just taking Ellwyn back to Sapient with her than trying to do the Anatheman a favor by attempting to return her.

It wouldn’t have been Skana to give up so easily though.

The jackal revealed her attacker to not be Judas, to which, Skana was relieved to hear. However, it learn that it was Nyx of all Luperci? She wouldn’t have expected the small, shy warrior to have attacked one of her own packmates, but, given the facts Avinalora provided, she could see where emotions could have been misplaced. The mention of Malus’ old friends and slaves caught the Creo’s attention, but, given Avinalora’s current mood, Skana decided against asking about them.

A full list of those affected by the illness were given, all of them, names Skana recognized. Her lips were pressed firmly together at the grim acknowledgement. “That’s unfortunate,” she murmured calmly. She felt a true loss for Aeron and Gideon. Both, Skana had respected and truly considered comrades. Yindi had helped her on multiple occasions as well. Charm, Motifera, and Ocke were not as well-known on a personal level as the other three, but, had been viewed as packmates—or as an unfortunate slave in Ocke’s case—nonetheless. As for Lust and Greed…while she was sorry to hear of their loss, Skana couldn’t say she was honestly heartbroken by it—maybe for Greed, but, definitely not for his sister. A pup of incest? What could those two be thinking?

Avianlora went on to mention starvation. It was not surprising, though, something that could have been avoided if kept under watch. There were many in Sapient who had shown a lack of appetite, sure, but, they had never gotten to the point where they had died from it.

She continued, and it appeared she was speaking of the “wretch” and why she believed the woman to have brought the illness with her to Anathema. From the sound of it, the woman either had something wrong with her, or, was afraid of eating anything in fear of being poisoned. It was true, not eating anything and having the poison in her system could have made her ripe for contracting whatever it was that was going around, but, Skana felt the woman having been on a ship was irrelevant unless the jackal meant to say that the woman had brought something to the pack that was entirely different from the strange outbreak that had spread across the land. The timeline just didn’t match up logically in Skana’s mind. Without seeing the stranger in person, Skana wasn’t about to offer any suggestions or make any more assumptions about her.

It sounded like she had survived, which, based on the information Avinalora had revealed, was a surprising outcome for the older medic.

“Hmm,” the silver she-wolf hummed thoughtfully at the Anatheman’s contribution about the mysterious sickness. It was a possibility—and one of the reasons why Sapient had established their quarantine area as they had—and the jackal’s forethought to help combat it was probably wise on her and her colleague’s part.

A list of names were given of who all currently made up Anathema’s medics on hand. It appeared Innya and Lyserg were still around, and, it sounded as if Avinalora might have meant to say “Marceline,” to which surprised the Creo. The girl had always shown interest in the field when she was younger, but, if Skana remembered their times together correctly, the princess had had more interest in the poison side of it rather than the healing. The last name, Maelyx, was new to Skana’s ears, and appeared to be an odd subject for the petite jackal if her sudden break from her rather cold expression thus far meant anything.

Lyserg appeared to have come out of his reclusiveness, but why anyone would have let the man near a sick individual was beyond Skana. He worked with bones and outside injuries, not ailments. It sounded as if Anthema had many able bodies to do the work that the Sapiens had, but, still, they had lost seven souls… A few opinions and assumptions regarding those facts churned in the Creo’s mind, but, she wisely chose to keep them to herself.

Mentioning Maelyx seemed to bring back more of the Avinalora that Skana knew, and, while she was curious to hear who this individual was, she worried that asking about her might make the monochrome woman retreat back behind that cold barrier of hers.

Avinalora asked her a question then, and, to it, Skana nodded once. “Hope for the best, expect the worst, but don’t let them see that. That’s part of our job,” she reminded the small woman, “If their medic has given up hope for combatting whatever this is, they’ll fall into despair. They might not trust you if you think it’s a lost cause, and may not ask you for help if they think you’ve given up. You’ll lose more lives.”

Skana turned and untied Muddy and Ellwyn’s reins. With a small tug, the mare followed after the Creo as she walked her over to Avinalora. “You’re a good medic, and we all grieve for the lives we can’t save. But you can’t let that hold you back. If you give up and wallow in your own guilt for the lives you’ve lost, you’ll lose them all.” Don’t let the pack suffer because of your selfish feelings. “The only thing you can do is keep trying.”

She extended her hand down for the jackal to take the mare’s reins. Whether she actually took them or not mattered little to Skana. She just hoped that the Anatheman understood what she’d said and heeded them. Though she might have acted nastily to Skana, the Sapien was still willing to extend the olive branch, because, somewhere, she knew, was the old Avinalora.

Skana Creo

Songbird
Luperci Mate to Sully
DRIVE ON AND
DON'T LOOK BACK

Dead Topics