M - Hungry mouths and sharpened teeth

Avinalora

POSTED: Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:41 am

WARNING: This thread contains material exceeding the general board rating of PG-13. It may contain very strong language, drug usage, graphic violence, or graphic sexual content. Reader discretion is advised.

Her friend had already done so much for her, so Maelyx wanted to do something in return. So many were suffering symptoms of the plague in Anathema, but Maelyx and Avinalora, two healers, managed to steer clear of the illness despite being frequently exposed to it in the clinics. Some time out and away would do both the jackals some good, and a hunt was a great way to work off some emotion, and build those precious endorphins that were the brain's key to happiness. So that afternoon, beneath an overcast sky which threatened to let go and let water pour all over the pair, they set out for a hunt.

Maelyx was astride Bogomo, the gray stallion with black socks. Her attire was much different than her normal wear, and much more fitting for being on the hunt. Maelyx did not usually choose to shift for a hunt, preferring to use magic and weapons, and today was no different. She wore black trousers beneath a brown waist sash, and a brown long-sleeved tunic layered beneath a leather breastplate. Her twin axes were strapped to each hip, and a spear lay horizontal set into a special holder on the horse's tack.

Due west, says I, she spoke, clearly meaning that's where she expected to find prey. There was a game trail heading that direction, toward safer grounds for the prey animals – away from the pack of predators. Artemis is the lady of the hunt. She will see us rewarded for our efforts. She smiled and held out her open palm to her companion, gesturing that she have the token she held out to her. Dangling from a chain laced around her fingers was a copper amulet in the shape of a crescent moon and arrow. You wear token of Artemis, for good luck. It is also enchanted by the Lady. You will kill today, I know this.

Last edited by Maelyx Nocturne on Thu May 04, 2017 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Salsola
The Confidant (NPC)
☥ Nukiira ☥
Luperci I command you, I control you Eclipse the Blood Moon
filia lunae lumen
☽ Know Thyself ☾

POSTED: Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:47 am

Avinalora
"The path to heaven runs through miles of clouded hell"
Secui | Day | April | Sticks and Stones

Made some assumptions and maybe some minor PP. Will change if needed!
Word Count:

A small figure padded alongside the horse. She was small, even for a halfling. She stood as tall as a normal-sized wolf, but she was all legs. She had a lean body structure, somewhat elegant and delicte-looking. She had a sharp up-tuck and a slight waist. A long tail lashed in the air, it was bushy and foxlike. A pair of long ears stood erect on her small, narrow, non-tapering face. She seemed to look like a maned wolf. But, unlike most Secui, she had opposable thumbs. She also walked on three legs, the left hind leg tucked up against her body. Despite this, she walked smoothly.

She had silver fur, a bright hue that made her stick out in the greenery. She seemed to be a jackal to most, and maybe a few may think that she was a coyote. But regardless, her fur color wasn't anything that would be found in a coyote or a jackal. She had a bit of wolf blood running in her veins, but she seemed to be purely jackal. A darker hued saddle ran down her back, going from the back of her ears to her tail. It ended in a white tail tip. Scattered through her saddle were black hairs. A short black mane ran down her neck. She had one green eye.

She wore a few accessories despite being in a feral form. A bandage covered the left side of her face, covering a gruesome scar. Four claw marks scratched over an empty socket. A small leather garment, a small cloak also was worn. It hung short and a leather cord tied it at her waist. There was a hood that had ear holes for her to put her ears through, and that she did. It was basically a rain jacket for a feral form. She also wore a moon-shaped wooden pendant that was carved into the shape of a crescent moon. Without the full garment she normally wore, a few of her scars were on display. Four claw marks scratched on her right shoulder. They had healed, but her thin fur wasn't much of a barrier between her and her attacker's claws. Three scars laid on her lame leg, right over her Achilles tendon. She seemed to have gone through much.

Avinalora didn't actually want to leave the clinics to be honest. But, she was feeding her pack which was counting for something, if they actually caught anything. She just hoped that she wouldn't injure her wounded face, but it was on its way to recovery judging by the healing. She felt that she would be able to take off the bandage in a few weeks. The vixen decided to go in her Secui form since she had a less than basic knowledge of hunting and fighting in it. Though, the most she could catch were rats. But, she would be able to sniff out any sickness in the prey, and she would think that she was capable of flushing prey. Part of her still didn't like being in a feral form when someone was in Optime, but she would have to get used to it sometime.

Maelyx was going to hunt as well. Surprisingly, she was in Optime form and on horseback. She was also wearing a very different outfit from last time. The fox maiden should hook her up with her sister, Adrian loved clothes and would love to meet the woman based n her fashion style. There was probably another reason for the herbalist not wanting to be on horseback, since it was clear that Ellwyn didn't like the stallion. And it had been a long time since she had been in her Secui form. The vixen liked the freedom it provided her, yet still made it easier for her to attack and hunt. Lupus was good for some things, like quick herb gathering, stealth, and other things; it would be too much of a hassle for her to shift all the way down to Lupus form and have her bandages re-done. Her Secui and Optime skull were about the same size and all she had to do was have someone tighten the bandages a bit.

The winter wraith trotted a bit of a distance away from the horse. She didn't exactly want to be trampled. The woman directed them west. She sincerely hoped that it didn't mean going all the way to Inferni, because those coyotes would not be happy at all to see a pair of Anathemans. She hoped that whatever prey they chased had enough sense not to pass a skull-decorated border. "Lets just hope our prey doesn't run into Inferni." The waif said, looking up at the jackal witch. It had a slight sarcastic tone, which was normal for her voice. But both didn't have a drop of coyote blood and stunk of Anathema. That pack might rip them to shreds.

And then the foreigner said that the god Artemis-wait goddess-would help them on the hunt. The deer-fox tilted her head and said, "Let's hope that Kismet is with us, too." It was slightly nonchalant in her tone, but she hoped that the god that protected the fate of hunters would be kind to the pair of women today. But, sometimes it seemed that the hybrid was a bad luck charm. But she was relying on Kismet, the more passive brother than Fate.

And then the exotic medic held out a necklace of some sort. The moon-washed maiden squinted and padded towards the horse that came to a stop. She was holding an amulet that was made of metal and was carved into the shape of a crescent moon and an arrow. It was similar to the one the Volac wore, but symbolized something else. Her hand-paw went to the pendant she wore, but if this amulet gave her luck, she wouldn't turn it down. Though, when was she ever lucky?

"I'll need all the luck I need." The monochrome fox said as she carefully rose to her hind leg, keeping most of her weight on a single leg and slightly bracing her paws on the horse. She waited for the necklace to be put on her neck, since she lacked the dexterity to do it herself. She hoped the horse wouldn't trample her. That would really ruin her day, her month, and probably her life.

Image | Background | Table by Andi

Last edited by Avinalora Phoenix on Mon May 08, 2017 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Silverfrost
Luperci
Somebody make me feel alive
The queen of a wretched design
I walk through the fire

POSTED: Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:30 pm

wc 439

Although Bogomo wasn't often an agreeable horse, he held still when Avinalora reared to her hind legs and braced her weight on him. Maelyx smiled as she leaned over and hooked the amulet around Avi's neck. If the woman didn't want to keep it after this, because she already had a similar one, it wouldn't offend Maelyx. But the necklace was hers if she wanted it. Wouldn't that just be something, chase our prey into another pack's lands… might as well throw in some silver plates and knives while we are at it, she joked, and chuckled.

When Avinalora had all four paws on the ground again, she gently kicked the stallion's sides and eased him down the game trail. So what my idea is to be… when we get close, I will leave Bogomo. He is too noisy and would give us away, as though he understood, the horse snorted indignantly. Hush you. Anyway, I am being sure he will like his fill of the milk-weed that grows here, as long as he doesn't get too fat. As I was saying, I will leave Bogomo and go on foot from there. I have practice at being the shadow, and these wet grounds will make being quiet easier. When we are close enough, we can split apart. If you will go behind the prey and chase it my way, I am well at throwing my spear, or axes if necessary. Then we just follow blood trail until it drops… then, dinner.

She smiled, her azure eyes gazing ahead aimlessly as she imagined what it would be like to catch prey alongside her friend and pack-mate. I am wondering of how the prey here is different from the types of desert prey we hunted back in Kupolole. She was finding it easier and easier to talk about her old home, even though she had only been a part of her new pack, Anathema, for a handful of days. Simply having a place in the world and a good friend was already helping her heal from the grief of being exiled from her home. Sometimes tribe went out, hunted big buffalo called Cape Buffalo. That is where most meat came from. I liked to go hunt Kudu. I liked their twisted horns. But a lot of time if the herds moved on, we ate akkedisse, she cocked her head. The word was in Afrikaans. I not know the word in Common. Akkedisse… um, small, close to ground, four legs, scales… they skitter really fast… lay eggs… What is word? She turned her puzzled gaze to her companion, imploring her for help.

Salsola
The Confidant (NPC)
☥ Nukiira ☥
filia lunae lumen
☽ Know Thyself ☾

POSTED: Mon May 01, 2017 1:12 am

Avinalora
"The fear of falling apart"

Maybe they could hunt a deer?
Word Count:

Avinalora was lucky that the horse decided not to kick her into oblivion or something. She really didn't want her grave stone to read: "Avinalora, killed by horse". The vixen just hoped that Ellwyn would avenge her if the stallion had trampled her. Maelyx fastened to amulet on the hybrid's neck. Once that was done, she scuttled away from the horse, not wanting to be kicked or something. But she offered the woman a smile. "Thanks."

The fox maiden chuckled a little in response to the Zepar's joke. She would think that the coyote clan may be a little bit thankful for prey being chased into their territory, but by a pair of Anatheman jackals? With no coyote blood in them at all? They may be looking at their heads being put up as decorations. And the waif wouldn't want her head as a border marker.

The jackal witch strategized with the winter wraith. She would leave her stallion, Bogomo behind and they would quietly sneak up on the prey. The deer-fox was relived when the woman suggested that she should flush the prey. She was good at that, having done that in a hunt before. She just hoped whatever she chased wouldn't attack her back. The medic remembered the patients she had treated with injuries from rabbits. Well, at least there were two healers here. She nodded, agreeing with the woman's plan.

Apparently, the exotic woman was unfamiliar with the fauna that roamed 'Souls. Where she had come from (the desert doctor wouldn't call it her home), there seemed to be very different prey there. Kudu seemed to have horns, which a lot of animals had here. And judging by what she had said about the cape buffalo, they were basically like moose. And then the lady seemed at lost for another type of prey. Her description matched an animal that the vixen had chased once when she was younger, though it had shimmied out of her grasp. "Lizards?"

And then the moon-washed maiden decided to give the Nocturne lady a crash course in prey animals around Nova Scotia. "So, here we have a lot of different prey animals. There's deer, these fast hoofed-beasts with skinny legs. The males have horns. And it hurts to be kicked with a sharp hoof. Then there's elk, which are bigger deer basically, a lot fatter and about horse-sized. And then there's moose, which are these massive things that are bigger than horses with big antlers. Those things can ruin your day. Then there are rabbits, though as fluffy and cute as they look, people can get injured from them. And then there's birds, fish, and rodents." The grey-scaled girl said. She would assume that there were fish, birds, and rodents everywhere.

"I can help track something we could catch?" The monochrome fox suggested. She was a good tracker because of her near-blindness. And it would be assumed that the witch wouldn't recognize the scents of the prey, and the Volac would be able to steer the woman away from moose and elk.

Silverfrost
Luperci
I walk through the fire

POSTED: Tue May 02, 2017 1:19 am

Stay in the shadows
Cheer at the gallows
Word Count → 488

Maelyx wore a far-off expression, eyes focused far away on the horizon, but despite her apparent inattention she heard and processed everything Avi explained to her. She nodded occasionally, and gave the appropriate grunt of understanding as she taught her about the local prey. “These deer sound a lot like kudu, and other herd animal in Africa. The others sound similar to what I have seen, too, but I will not be knowing until the day I see them with my own eyes. I look forward to seeing all of them… eventually.” She smiled down to Avinalora, making sure she understood she didn't mean to go after any of the gigantic prey animals today. “I know rabbit animal. We have desert hare in Africa, just like rabbit. Just as vicious, sounds like.” And yes, indeed, they had birds, fish, and rodents in South Africa, and Maelyx knew these animals well. One member of the Kupolole tribe kept chickens. Maelyx herself was quite experienced at fishing, and could use line and hook or net. Yet she would bother mentioning that skill some other time.

Avi offered to do the tracking, which was a wise choice. Maelyx was still getting oriented with the scents around these lands, and though most prey animals smelled similar, she didn't want to lead them on an hour expedition to have it turn out to be a moose that they had no hope of taking down. “Yes, that would be preferable, and I am appreciate that. I will get to know the scents of this place.”

Some time later, after approximately twenty-five or thirty minutes of traveling, Maelyx eased Bogomo to a stop and looked down at Avi. “I have left Bogomo near here before. The trees conceal him well enough, and I have no treasure in his tack today.” She swung one leg over the saddle and gracefully slid off of her mount, landing softly and noiselessly on the grass. She stepped in front of her horse and took him by the halter, “You be good now. Stay. If you sense any danger, you go back to where we came from. Do not be lazy. I know you can sprint for a full twenty minutes, and that's about how long it is back to Anathema. Are you hearing me?” Her tone was firm, commanding. When the hose snorted at her, she let go of the halter, retrieved her spear, and turned to her friend.

“Okay, now you show me what that nose can do,” she smiled and stepped up next to Avi, ready to be led to their prey. “Let us hunt. Let our hunt be fruitful. Let our people feast on our bounty.” She spoke the words with all the vehemence of one with true faith, but did not address or pray to any one deity in particular. This was merely a saying she uttered before any hunt, a habit since her puphood.

Maelyx Nocturne
Salsola
The Confidant (NPC)
☥ Nukiira ☥
filia lunae lumen
☽ Know Thyself ☾

POSTED: Tue May 02, 2017 2:49 am

Avinalora

OOC here
Word Count:

Avinalora didn't notice that Maelyx seemed to stop paying attention. Her vision wasn't that good, so she prattled on about the fauna around 'Souls, not even noticing. The woman did seem to pay attention, she nodded and made noises of agreement. The vixen made sure to explain as thoroughly as she could.

The Zepar did say that the deer seemed like Kudu. The fox maiden didn't know anything about the African animals, so she just shrugged in response. The waif just hoped they didn't have to find every elk, moose, and deer, though. She had faced down a moose once, and she wasn't in any hurry to relive that experience.

So, rabbits were everywhere, the winter wraith guessed. She'd treated people whom got kicked by a rabbit or attacked by them. This was why she stayed to the occasional mouse or rat when needed. She probably was more than a match for a rabbit in Secui form, though in Lupus form, the rabbit was about as big as her.

The jackal witch agreed when the desert doctor suggested that she should do the tracking. The jackal mutt was good at tracking due to her keen sense of smell. She lowered her non-tapering snout towards the ground and started off in a trot, sniffing the air. She headed west like the Nocturne lady said, her nose keen to detect any sign of prey.

A while later, the blue-eyed lass slowed Bogomo to a stop, telling her that she would leave him here. The horse and rider interaction was hilarious, and the grey-scaled girl snickered softly, hearing the two. They had a peculiar relationship, unlike her and Ellwyn's. The mare was obedient, except with the stallion. The dappled horse would stay far away.

The exotic woman asked the moon-washed maiden what her nose could do. A wicked smile pushed across her face. And then the woman seemed to say some sort of prayer. Once she was done, the Volac smirked. "Try to keep up." She said before trotting off. The trot turned into almost a run, but not a full-out sprint. The green-eyed female didn't want to leave her pack-mate behind. The deer-fox moved quickly for one of three legs and blind. She managed to find a path without any sort of obtrusions such as skinny trees that the healer couldn't see and therefore would run into. And then the wind blew a scent towards the pair.

The monochrome fox stopped dead in her tracks and scented the air. She smelled a herd of deer downwind. Her work was no more, blown away by the wind. Another smile graced her features. "Hello."

Last edited by Avinalora Phoenix on Mon May 08, 2017 6:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

Silverfrost
Luperci
I walk through the fire

POSTED: Tue May 02, 2017 6:02 pm

wc 392

A sporty grin crossed he mien when Avi dared her to keep up. Oh yes, it was time for some fun. The hunt was as much for the spirit as for the stomach, and it had barely begun and already seemed to lift the spirits of the two jackals. Avinalora took off, and Maelyx, gripping her spear, ran after her. She leaned forward as if moving in to the wind, and despite her short stature (but not AS short as the diminutive Avi) she covered great lengths of ground in a surprising amount of time. Of course, the bipedal form was never quite fast as the quadruped… or… whatever Avi counted as, but she held her own, keeping either Avi's pale form in sight at all times, or if she got too far ahead or rounded a corner in which she could not see her, she kept track of her scent until she spied the ghostly jackal again.

Soon, Avi slowed and had a very excited, satisfied look on her face. Maelyx caught up with her and crouched down next to her, breathing heavily but not panting any more than one would after having jogged in Lupus form. She dug the blunt butt of her spear into the earth, and her wet, black nose twitched as she tasted the spice in the air, separating earth from plant and animal. She caught one particular scent that was something like bovine but without the gassy smell that often accompanied the bovidae. It was fairly easy for her preadator's nose to discern what she was fairly sure was the scent that excited Avinalora.

What is it? she whispered to her friend, knowing the deer were far enough off that she wouldn't spook them even at a normal speaking level, but not taking the chance. She scanned the area around them, spotting a lightly trodden path to her left. It was clear enough to slip down without the rist of too many branches; she would be able to tread that path quietly. She waited for Avi to answer her question, then gestured toward the path. I will go that way, and I will be ready with my spear. Her tail twitched excitedly, much like a cat's might, before she padded off down the path, silently moving through the brush and ducking down to remain well camouflaged.

Salsola
The Confidant (NPC)
☥ Nukiira ☥
filia lunae lumen
☽ Know Thyself ☾

POSTED: Wed May 03, 2017 12:31 am

Avinalora

OOC here
Word Count:

Avinalora was quite fast in Secui. Her long legs and skinny appearance screamed it, even with her leg and eyesight. Maelyx did manage to keep up, surprisingly. Four-legged forms were much quicker than bipedal forms, but the vixen didn't leave the Zepar in the dust. The woman was fast, but in Secui, the Volac was faster.

The jackal witch caught up with the fox maiden as she scented the deer. Surprisingly, the woman wasn't even panting. Even the ghostly jackal was starting to breathe a bit heavier. She was a bit skinnier than normal, but she was able to do normal things, though it tired her a bit easier. She was still alert as ever.

The exotic lady asked what they were smelling. "Deer." The winter wraith replied softly. She scented the air again and pricked her ears. She was trying to locate the prey's position. They were a bit far off, maybe twenty or thirty paces or more. The deer-fox remembered her bright pelt, though she could use it to her advantage if she was flushing. Nothing said "run for your life" that a brightly colored canine crashing through the underbrush, right?

The moon-washed maiden nodded as the blue-eyed bell said that she would go to the left and be ready with her spear. "I'll drive one towards you." The desert doctor whispered. She didn't think that needed to be said, but she said it anyway. And with a nod and a flick of her tail, she began stalking towards the right. She was small, which was an advantage. The pale pixie was sure to rub herself in some strong-smelling plants as she sneaked towards the deer. She waited for a few seconds, giving the Nocturne lady time to get into place. And then she sniffed, smelling the scents of the deer. They were healthy, though she scented an elderly female. That was the target.

The monochrome fox located the elderly deer, whom was not very far away. And then with a loud high-pitched howl that sounded like a banshee shriek, she launched herself out of the bushes and was face to face with the old doe. The deer took off, in the direction that the herbalist wanted. The rest of the herd scattered, but she was focused on her prey. Loud shrieking yaps emitted from her as she chased the deer, driving it towards the woman. It was an alarm sound, telling her she was coming. And then the silver belle detected the female. And with another yowling shriek, telling her to get ready, the foxlike jackal drove the prey forward.

Last edited by Avinalora Phoenix on Mon May 08, 2017 6:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Silverfrost
Luperci
I walk through the fire

POSTED: Wed May 03, 2017 2:20 am

Deer. It would be easy to commit this scent to memory. Every good predator knew how valuable scent was, how easily it connected to memory. So often the slightest whiff of something could conjure up vivid, colorful memories. A simple lily downwind might bring up the vision of someone's mother, or the scent of a vein of copper could drudge up a terrifying memory of a bloody wound. The part of the canine's brain that was still connected to uncivilized, feral instincts simply filed the scent away for the future. She would easily identify a deer's scent from here on out.

The two jackal medics disappeared into the wilderness, each to their own chore. Maelyx ducked down low, letting the muted colors of her pelt and her clothing camouflage her in the underbrush. Even in Optime, the jackal was small (yet not as small as her snowy counterpart), which made it an easy task to hide her diminutive body in the ticket. Her ears remained perked, alert satellites poking up above a wild mane – a mane which normally sported several beads and other ornaments, but those baubles had been removed for the purpose of increasing her success at stealth.

Crouched in the brush, she still had a good view of the easiest path between her position and the herd of deer. When Avi made her move, at least one, if not more, were sure to flee down this path. Why leap and bound away over rock, bushes, and branches when there was a somewhat flat path already cut for them? Her azure eyes narrowed, every muscle in her body tense with excitement as she waited for the signal.

Then the vixen let her signal sing over the land, cutting easily through the trees and brush and finding the witch's ears. Avinalora's howl was pitchy, high, but seemed to match the small thing that she was. The herbalist had only heard Avi's howl once before when she was calling for the leaders in Anathema to introduce the Nocturne and request for her initiation into their ranks, and then it had sounded different than this. Perhaps it was just Maelyx's level of excitement.

Artemis rides beside her! she thought silently, as she heard the far off drumming of cloven hooves scattering about. Sure enough, deer had chosen Maelyx's path – herded there by the frost queen. She detected two animals at least, but one broke off. The drumming of the hooves came closer, there would be just a fraction of a second to make her move.

Maelyx held her spear high, and a split second before the beast appeared the leaves rustled. Taking that cue, she lunged out of obscurity and thrust the spear forward. The deadly tip of her spear punctured the flank of the elderly creature, and Maelyx released her grip, eyes trailing after the deer as it disappeared into the trees, her spear dangling from deep between it's ribs. She smiled, crossed her arms, and waited for her friend to arrive – which would probably only be a beat after the deer, after seeing how fast she ran before.

---

wc 500+
Salsola
The Confidant (NPC)
☥ Nukiira ☥
filia lunae lumen
☽ Know Thyself ☾

POSTED: Wed May 03, 2017 2:45 am

Avinalora stopped on a dime just as she drove the hind into the kill zone. And then Maelyx struck, deadly as could be. The spear struck home, getting buried between the animal's ribs. The deer didn't fall though, which worried the vixen slightly before remembering the plan. They wounded it badly, and now they would have to wait for it to die. Though, she almost chased after it, wanting to deliver even more blows. But, she resisted the urge.

The fox maiden padded up to the Zepar. The woman already seemed like she was waiting for the ghostly jackal, whom padded into sight like a ghost with her bright fur, bony body, and quietness in which she approached. She was still small, even in her Secui form, only reaching the woman's hips, barely.

The winter wraith looked up at the jackal witch, waiting for her cue. This was one of her first hunts and she had no idea what to do. The jackal mutt didn't know if the lady was going to grab her horse and follow the trail, or have the Volac follow the trail while she went to get her horse. They would need a horse to carry the deer back. The only scrap of clothing the herbalist had on her was a sort of rain coat that wouldn't do much for her in Optime.

The moon-washed medic just hoped that bigger scavengers wouldn't find the deer. She knew the bare basics of how to fight in Secui form, though she wasn't keen on testing them out anytime soon. And, she didn't know if the exotic woman knew hand-to-hand or had extra weapons on her.

"Do we follow her and then get the horse? Or, I could track her while you get the horse?" The monochrome fox suggested, tilting her head and then adding, "We should get to her before other predators do."

OOCWORD COUNT

Silverfrost
Luperci
I walk through the fire

Dead Topics