I won't apologize for being different!

Valdis!

POSTED: Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:58 am

Avinalora
"The path to heaven runs through miles of clouded hell"
Lupus | Day | Late May | Wentworth Valley

OOC here
Word Count:

A tiny shape stepped through the forests of Wentworth valley. The tiny thing could have been mistaken for a small fox with her bushy tail, though she had longer legs than a fox should have. She also had much shorter fur than a vulpine creature would have, owing to a desert heritage. Her ears were large for her head and were quite long. She was quite skinny and her left hind leg was held up and almost tucked against her body. Her snout didn't tapper and she looked quite fragile.

Her fur was like a piece of snow in the verdant green forest. It was unnatural for a jackal to have, which told of different blood running through her veins, though it didn't affect much other than her fur and maybe her tail. Her fur was a silver as moonlight on snow. A grizzled saddle cut across her back, a darker shade of grey than her base coat. Scattered through the cape were black hairs and it ended in a white tail tip. She had a single grey eye.

Without the clothing that she usually wore, her scars were shown. The most noticeable was the one on her face. Four claw marks ran down the left side of her face, cutting across where her left eye should have been, which was now an empty socket. Those looked the freshest. And then there were the four puncture marks on her left shoulder. They were a bit older than the facial scars though stood out with her grey fur. And then there were the the three scars going across the place were her Achilles tendon was on her left leg.

Small amounts of jewelry graced her body. A wooden pendant carved into the shape of a crescent moon lay on her neck. A second moon-shaped amulet hung below it. The second amulet was made out of copper and had an arrow on it as well. A small satchel also graced her form.

Avinalora went a bit north today. To a place she knew well before Anathema. Her tireless crusade to restock the herb supply was still in her mind. She probably wouldn't stop until Anathema's stores were rolling in herbs. She also needed time to clear her thoughts. The thought of a certain jackal woman was one of the things clouding her mind. The vixen remembered the magical night, though she was afraid to be in love.

The fox maiden padded through the forest, sniffing the ground as she tried to find herbs. She was well-trained in the art of sniffing out herbs since she was nearly blind. And then her face pained her again. "Crap" she thought as she felt the pain. She didn't have hands, though her medicine was in her bag. She shrugged the bag off and began digging through it, dragging out the bottle. The winter wraith placed one paw on the bottle and managed to hold the cork in her jaws and pull it off. She licked up the herbal mix of willow and alder. She thanked the gods that she hadn't made it into a liquid. Once she'd taken the medication, she somehow managed to cork the bottle and push it into her satchel. The pixie was ale to put the satchel back onto her body and kept on walking.

The ghostly jackal kept on going, walking and sniffing the ground to find any sort herb that could be useful to Anathema. She managed to sniff out a certain herb, one that would be useful. The scent of chamomile that was familiar and welcomed. Chamomile was a useful herb that was used for soothing people and good for strengthening people. The fox-tailed female remembered giving it to many ill patients that had been given to ease their suffering.

The moon-washed medic leaned down, nipping off stalks of chamomile. She tried to not take too much so that she didn't kill the plant. She shrugged off her satchel, and when she was done pushing the stalks into her bag, she put it back on. Then, the monochrome fox continued on her hunt for herbs.

Image | Background | Table by Andi

Silverfrost
Luperci
Somebody make me feel alive
The queen of a wretched design
I walk through the fire

POSTED: Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:38 am

OOC - Móðir = mother (Icelandic), Comida = food (Spanish)
[632]

Thwack!

Valdís's bow fell at her side as she watched her prey - a small blue bird - land a few yards before her. Hardened expression unreadable, the woman walked silently to its carcass, picked it up by its feet, and went on her way once more.

Hips swinging in time with her long strides, the Icelandic beauty walked a path only she knew. Her long, pale hair fell in tangles and braids woven with feathers, stones, and bones all down her back that hid the white runes that adorned her back. She drew nearer and nearer to her destination, multicolored eyes glaring dead ahead, dark ears swiveling to catch the sweet music of a child's giggles.

A black horse, huge by most standards, stood guard by a tall tree and at his feet pranced the smallest pup Valdís had ever seen. Her color and body was strange and foreign to the woman who'd lived in an incredibly isolated colony of wolfdogs. All of them had dark, earthy pelts and eyes of hues that could be found easily in the woods. This child defied everything she knew about children.

Still yet unnamed, she yipped playfully at the warrior, uncurled tail wagging forcefully in her glee. "Móðir!" Her impossibly small paws pranced daintily on the ground, big ears twisting endearingly as she approached her 'mother'. Valdís, even as world weary and broken as she was, spared a small smile for the little tyke. "Patience, little one." The dark wolfdog stepped over the child who giggled maniacally - wasn't this such a fun game? - to set her bow and quiver in their place on the saddle. She then put the fowl in her mouth before shifting down to four paws, her smallest form.

"You got comida! Valdís sighed at her child's strange babbling. Neither of them were exactly masters at English, but they shared no other commonality. "I brought food," she clarified through her full mouth. Waiting for the child to settle down, the woman laid on her belly, setting the food down between her massive forelegs. The child lunged at it, but was blocked by a single pale paw that knocked her flat on the ground. "No. What is done before eating, little one?" She whimpered sheepishly, tail between her legs in repentance. "Say thanks. Valdís nodded approvingly. The child bowed its head before the deceased bird, whispering what little Icelandic phrases of gratitude she knew, then returned to her feast.

The monstrous beast of a mother lay her head on one foreleg while her child filled its stomach beside her, mind clouded with worry. Is she supposed to be so small? She needs to grow bigger or she will not last the winter. Though a long way off, her daughter was behind schedule. By quite a bit in fact.

As if sensing her mother's disturbed thoughts, she halted in her eating, face plastered with blood and feathers. "No, no, keep eating. You need to grow." That satisfied her curiosity enough to resume, but she kept an ear and eye turned towards Valdís. Something was bothering her.

The girl finally finished and curled up against the woman's fluffy pale chest for a nap. The beast hummed with deep contentment. Her small baby was safe, fed, warm. All would be well. She closed her eyes and pulled her legs in tight around the pup until her stallion whinnied in warning.

Jumping to her paws, making the child cry out in fear, she stood squarely over her young with her face pulled in a stoic glower that could turn a weaker willed individual to stone. "Who goes?"

Kris
Luperci

POSTED: Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:00 am

Avinalora
"The fear of falling apart"
Lupus | Day | Late May | Wentworth Valley

OOC here
Word Count:

Avinalora's head raised as she scented someone new and heard a horse. She realized that she'd wandered too close to someone. And with a few quick sniffs, she could tell that one of the scents was one of a pup's. And the other scent was a female. She had to take a double-take and make sure that she hadn't run into a mother bear and her cub. No, they were Luperci. Thank the gods. The female was a wolfdog and the child was a coyote. That was something to make the vixen think as well. They were two different breeds, though she'd been in that place. Except in her case, it was a tiny jackal pup and an adult coyote.

A loud growling bark echoed through the forest. That made the fox maiden almost jump two feet in the air. She moved slower towards the woman, hoping that her voice would b able to be heard better. She came into view of he pair. They were blurs in her eye. She met the woman's gaze, or at least tried to. The jackal mutt's scars were on display and her fox-like tail was waving in a wagging motion. Her large ears flicked downward. "I mean you no harm." The winter wraith said with a dip of her head.

The ghostly jackal's head raised a bit. She decided to state her name and maybe her ranking. A medic wasn't much of a threat, and some mothers would want a healer to look at the pup. A small smile played onto her face as she tried to remain friendly and hope that the woman didn't attack, though she had a backup plan. Run and hide. That was her main defense against anything. And the fox-tailed female hoped that it would work.

"I am Avinalora. Empusa, or high-ranking healer of Anathema." The moon-washed medic said with a dip of her head. She did hold herself up straighter. Her ranking was a badge of honor for her. She worked for it and she bled for it. The monochrome fox hoped that this would be a peaceful encounter and not a "run for you life" encounter.

Image | Background | Table by Andi

Silverfrost
Luperci
I walk through the fire

POSTED: Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:21 am

[359]

The creature that approached was one that Valdís had never before seen and her lip turned up at the sight of it. Its fur was a blindingly bright silver color, so close to white, but this animal was no albino: she could see green, a far more natural color, in its eyes - or rather eye. Whatever this thing was, it'd been through hell and back it looked like. Valdís was no stranger to scarring, in fact she had her own fair share hidden beneath her thick pelt, but this monochrome critter didn't look like it should have survived what it'd been through.

The pup, fearless as all children are, bounded forward to greet what it assumed would be a new friend for her to play with only to be slammed to a halt by a paw stepping on her back half and pinning her to the ground. She squealed, temper rising. "Móðir, let go!"

The warrior ignored her child's pleas, instead staring ever more intently as it introduced itself. Rather than finding herself impressed with its rank in whatever an 'Anathema' was, she found herself more and more disturbed by the large ears, the foxy tail, the slender build. By all rights this should not exist! Finally, she could stand it no longer and broke.

"What are you?"

Even the child stopped its infernal tantrum to stare at Avinalora for closer inspection. Giggling, the girl tried to answer. "It's a fox, duh!" Without glancing down, she pulled her paw back, dragging her pale coyote pup across the ground and back to safety beneath her. "No, no its no fox." Valdís had seen a fox before, even a silvery one (though it'd been dead at the time). This was a close copy, but not quite.

"Móðir, she's got no eye." Finding herself quite pleased with this observation, the innocent little pup grinned cheekily. "Hush, little one." There was no telling if it was dangerous or not.

"Why do you look like this?"

Kris
Luperci

POSTED: Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:39 am

Avinalora could say that she'd seen better reactions to her appearance. Though this was different. The woman was protective, which was something that the vixen understood. She didn't exactly agree witch how the child was restrained in away that raised a flag for the jackal. Though, the mother was protective which was something that was good.

And then the hybrid woman asked what the fox maiden was. A somewhat offended look moved across her face. The kid was a coyote! By all rights, the mother should have thought she was a coyote. There were subtle differences between jackals and coyotes though the wolf didn't know what she was. What the hell the winter wraith thought.

And then both the woman and the girl called the ghostly jackal an it. That was something that rose her ire and famous temper. Could they even smell? Did they even think she was an actual person. A somewhat pissed look crossed her face as her tail kinked in the air. The Empusa's ears pushed forward.

"First of all, I am a female." The moon-washed medic said in a sharp, biting tone. Her single eye glared green and she thought she looked pretty intimidating, despite the stranger being three times her height. "And I am a jackal. I thought you would at least think I was a coyote since your child is a coyote." The monochrome fox spoke in a cold tone, though her voice didn't become louder

Word Count ➤ 243

OOC here.

Jean-Sébastien Guénette | JadedReality & 8Moments | Table by Sammiie

Silverfrost
Luperci
I walk through the fire

POSTED: Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:47 am

[298]

Before, Valdís's posture had merely been a dominant one. Before, the strange animal had held a timid-seeming stance. That was before that look had crossed her face. The instant the silver creature showed any symptom of aggression, the warrior's maternal instincts kicked into overdrive. Her head, previously held high with an apathetic (if somewhat confused) expression, lowered over her chest as her muzzle and brow furrowed in a snarl. Hackles raised across her neck, shoulders and back, her stance widened, her tail lifted aggressively. Her warning growl ripped from her like the roar of a chainsaw come to life.

The child cowered fearfully beneath her mother, eyes wide at the woman who dared invoke her wrath. "Móðir?" Her soft whimper fell on deaf ears and she scurried from beneath the woman's shadow, fleeing to the safety of the horse who remained stock still in the face of his vengeful mistress.

After her initial growl died down, she relaxed enough to speak. "I care not whether you are male or female, I have a sense of smell." A single step forward. "And I know not what a jackal is." The 'request' was unspoken but God help Avinalora if she chose not to answer. Valdís was in no mood for games. By the end of her demand, her glacial gaze returned to its stoic form, her figure almost back to as it had been before.

"Hey, what's 'coyote' mean? As the warrior's aggression faded, the child's fearlessness returned in full force. Though the dark beast did not turn to look at her young, she turned a solitary ear towards her. Her silence was a seconding of the question. What was a 'coyote'?

Kris
Luperci

POSTED: Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:20 am

OOC Here
Word Count → 459

Well, Avinalora was already pissed off by now. So, she didn't react at all when the woman's body language changed and a growl ripped through her. The vixen didn't return the gesture, not wanting to antagonize the female already, but she still held her stance. Show no fear was something that she did when confronting people like this. That's what got her respect in her field and with patients. Her tail was kinked over her back in an almost cat-like manner and she held her ground.

There were a lot of ways for someone to make the winter wraith mad. And one of those were demeaning her. Being called in "it" and the wolf telling her that she didn't care if she was a male or female was something that set a fire in her blood. She could be a bit hot-blooded, but she decided to throw in her own spin to it. The fox maiden's body language changed suddenly, she calmed down and instead sat down, her bushy tail curling around her paws. She knew how to control herself and maybe surprise the woman.

"Being called an 'it' is one of the most demeaning thing someone has called me, and believe me, I've been called a lot of things." The ghostly jackal said in an slightly sardonic tone that had a bit of emotion in it. She hoped to diffuse the situation if possible or at least try to change the air in this conversation. If this didn't work out, the silver belle could plead for the woman not to do this in front of her daughter or something.

And then the wolfdog didn't know what a jackal was, which gave the moon-washed an opportunity to teach. She liked to teach people, though she preferred to teach them about herbs rather than species. She was flexible, though. "A jackal is a type of canine that often lives in hot, dry places called 'deserts'. Jackals can become shifters. And they are different from wolves and dogs because of their shorter coats, big ears, and long legs." The fox maiden said before pretending to notice herself. "And I'm not a real example of a jackal since I have a tiny bit of wolf which makes me silver like this."

And then the coyote kid asked what a coyote was. The moon-washed maiden liked kids that asked questions, and good questions. The girl should know her heritage. "Coyotes are like jackals, though jackals come from a very far away place. Coyotes have different snouts than jackals and some can have thicker and longer fur, though some can be affected by the cold. And I think jackals have longer legs, though I'm not sure." The monochrome fox ended with another small smile.

Silverfrost
Luperci
I walk through the fire

POSTED: Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:11 am

[521]

The 'jackal' seemed smart enough not to provoke the giant of a woman, but her tone still left much to be desired. In response, the woman raised a solitary eyebrow. 'It' was the most offensive thing she'd been called? Based on the state of her skin, Valdís had expected the tiny silver woman to have heard far worse, but what did she know? She was new to the area, it wasn't her first language, for all she knew it had a very bad connotation in this area.

Did that mean she was going to apologize for it? No. No it did not.

The stranger's attempt at diffusing the situation outwardly did very little. The woman did not lower her stance, did not change the aggression in her eyes, did not lower the waves of dominance that radiated off of her. But then, very little did. This Avinalora woman, this healer, had no way of knowing that this was as calm as Valdís could really achieve. She had no way of knowing that this was her default expression and figure. Their cultures were so vastly different, their personalities a horrendous clash, it was a miracle that they weren't at each other's throats already.

The healer was wise enough to answer the woman's questions, though she did not receive a proper thanks. Rather, it was a feral whuff of air that indicated that she had heard the message. That was as best as she could do at the moment.

In fact, the woman had given her a great deal to consider. Deserts, for one. She'd not heard of nor seen such a thing, though to be fair she had traveled very little in all her years. She'd never seen an ocean until less than a year ago, but that did not lessen the fact that it existed. That it was there. That animals, unique and frightening in their own ways, existed within it. Valdís didn't really need to point this fact out either. If Avinalora couldn't see from her thick pelt and large frame that she came from the exact opposite terrain... well there would be nothing the warrior could do for her but send her on her way.

The kid, on the other end of the spectrum, began to approach at Avinalora's words, eating them up one by one. She had so many questions burning in her little mind, what to ask first? "What's shifter?" She'd never heard that word before either, it must be new, she had to know it! At the jackals explanation of the differences between her kind and Valdís's, came the ever-present "Why?"

Then Avinalora began to answer her original question, which she'd almost forgotten she'd asked. Almost, not quite. Her warrior mother, ever unchanging, stood emotionless. Nothing betrayed that she too listened with rapt attention at the jackal's words. The kid, thrice more, asked her "why" at the end of each sentence. Not once was she stopped by her mother. She wanted to know too.

"Are coyotes smaller than jackals?"

Kris
Luperci

POSTED: Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:05 pm

I'm a slow dying flower, the frost-killing hour

Avinalora was starting to dislike this woman very much. But, she wanted to keep her life. So, she just hoped that the woman would actually stop being a bitch. She didn't let her irritation of the woman show past her swaying tail and twitching ears. She gave the woman a slight face that was a witch-with-a-b face. The vixen looked as strong as her posture showed.

Then the child came into the conversation which was what the ghostly jackal prayed for. Her attention turned towards the coyote kid, her expression changing to a smile. The kid asked what a shifter was and the question of "why" was about the jackals and coyotes. "You know how your mother changes from two legs to four legs? That is what a shifter is. And judging by your scent, you'll be one soon." She said and then the winter wraith answered the other question, "I think it's because they live in different places."

And then the woman asked if jackals were bigger than coyotes. She really didn't know what a coyote was? Hell, had she seen one? The ice queen's expression went back to the original expression. "Quite often, coyotes are bigger than jackals. And judging by you're child, she's quite healthy." The monochrome fox replied in a mater-of-fact tone.

Sorry for the wait!Lupus | Day | Summer | Sticks and stones200+
Avinalora

Silverfrost
Luperci
I walk through the fire

POSTED: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:13 am

[250]

As to be expected, Avinalora seemed none too pleased with the little dominance contest that was going on, but to her credit she seemed to be taking it well nonetheless. Valdís occasionally shifted her weight on her four paws, but otherwise made no indication of being more than a statue while the jackal and child conversed. Valdís never had been one for words and she was content to leaving the talking to the kid. She was so much better at it anyway.

The kid, in sharp contrast to her mother, was an ever-moving ball of energy. Her thin, fluffy tail was a blur behind her and her ears were cocked forward in interest at the woman's answers to her never ending questions. Her whole body wriggled with delight at the attentions she was receiving. "You really think so? Móðir says I've got a few more months at least, but I can't wait!"

The conversation turned to the adults, briefly, once more. Rather than respond to the healer, Valdís turned to look at the child she claimed was so healthy. Though she wasn't exactly sick looking, she was far too small to be healthy, surely! Her own children had almost doubled her in size at this age. Of course, Valdís was also guessing on age. She hadn't been there at the birth. So rather than say anything that may frighten the girl or spark a fight between the women, Valdís let out an unimpressed "Hmm." and let the subject drop.

Kris
Luperci

Dead Topics