[M] Will the raven come to bother me?

Neith!

POSTED: Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:16 pm

WARNING: This thread contains material exceeding the general board rating of PG-13. It may contain very strong language, drug usage, graphic violence, or graphic sexual content. Reader discretion is advised.

Word Count → +000:: Set in Amherst <3

A question beat against his skull over and over again. How long had it been? The days bled easily into each other and rendered Sebastien’s perception of reality a muffled haze. The only moments of clarity were granted by sleep; the air heavy with the stench of blood and rot, flies gathered in darkened corners, and the threat of danger that clung to everything.

The male rubbed at his wrists impulsively as memories washed over him, trying to soothe the welts left by his bindings. Sebastien exhaled heavily as he rose to his feet and breathed in the air slowly. Last night’s rain brought with it the promise of spring, of new life. There might yet be hope for him yet, a man whose gods seemed to have abandoned him to fate.

The hound forced himself to focus on the present, and healing from the trauma inflicted at the hands of the ruby-eyed monster. Trading for essentials was out of the question, as Sebastien had fled with only his scarf. This he wound tightly about his neck and muzzle, thought it no longer smelt comforting despite how many times he’d scrubbed and washed it. The many scars that blemished his skin were similar - something that his paranoia fixated on.

Sebastien turned away from the dingy hole he called home and walked along the broken streets of Amherst. Without his layers of clothes, he had nothing to hide behind and no pockets to soothe his awkwardness. It was ridiculous really, he thought with a huff as he folded his arms. It’s not like I’m a Luperci anymore, right? With his head bent and his thoughts tangled into dismal knots, it was easy to miss the glass shards littered across the ground.

Sebastien yelped and back-pedalled as he felt hot pin-pricks lodge themselves in his pads. His back arched against a wall as he whimpered and held the wounded leg above the ground. With his free hand he gingerly pressed at the rough flesh and hissed at his attempts to dislodge any of the shards. Bastien’s palm came back spotted with blood; practically speaking, this was likely a shallow cut and nothing to worry about. Panic was driving the hound, however, as he growled a string of curses.

Art by Jmonster

Sebastien Stone

Art Credit: Jacoby!
Salsola
Indentured Servant
Ketsuki
'Souls Soldier of Love
FOREVER BY YOUR SIDE

POSTED: Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:44 pm

He had taken a shortcut through the Blackwoods, for Neith had become bold and fearless among its branches. The silent eyes within viewed him far different.

Hiccups were inevitable, but his move from one home to another had been considerably smooth. How strange it was to call the space his own, and to listen to the silence at night and know he was alone. His mother, for all her worth, had been like a watchdog in the Heiwa household proper. No one approached without some measure of griping audible from any given room, and given this sudden absence Neith felt quite defenseless. He had a sword, but he was a doctor. He convinced himself Salsola was his some part his enemy, but so too was Salsola safe.

Neith detoured through the Woods en route to Amherst, in hope of scavenging a few more vessels in which to plant the seeds and sprouts gifted from his half-sister’s stores when he moved out. He entered the city and searched a few hours, coming up short. It was rare to find treasure in Amherst these days. After all, it was not always in constant supply. He did make note of a bar sprung up there, however, and while he did not partake in drink, left contently with a few glass bottles that would work temporarily.

He scavenged a while longer before hunger got the better of him, and Neith gathered his things and prepared for the walk home. He caught blood in the wind among the streets and, clutching his satchel, was grateful yet again for his recurring tendency to carry around too much.

Neith found a man struggling, avoiding weight on a leg and oozing blood at a visible distance. He looked as if he’d seen death in the face, as if all the spirits of the Blackwoods haunted him at once, and Neith jogged fast to his side with a briefer glance at his surroundings than he might have usually spared.

The Heiwa stopped scarcely short of the shattered glass. “Are you all right?” he said, startled by the drag of the man’s eyes, like a sudden aging on a face far too young. “I’m a doctor. Don’t take out that glass. Come here, let me see.”

whose eyes you gonna use?
Salsola
Sanctus Apprentice
Lin
Luperci
CENTRIFUGE
lost in the static
THE GOOD DOCTOR

POSTED: Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:39 pm

Word Count → +000::

The male hovered on the spot, barely aware of his surroundings as breath hissed through his jaws. Bastien lifted a hand to shield his eyes, and stiffened as fear trailed its cold fingers along his back. Whether real or imagined, he thought he sense many hungry eyes watching from the shadows of buildings. Waiting for the prey to falter and fall easily into their claws and fangs.

The sound of feet upon earth caused him to look up and cower instinctively against the wall. A finely-dressed Luperci had noticed him, the male slowed and studied him. Bastien was quick to show his pale throat beneath the scarf’s protective covering, and curled his stub tail between his legs.

What could this handsome stranger want with him? His words slowly pierced the film that had settled in Bastien’s ears; as though he had broken through the surf and was breathing clearly for the first time. Pale eyes turned toward the other’s teal with hope shimmering in their depths. “Y-you’d do that? H-help me?” The hound’s tone suited the pitiful condition he was in, for he felt like vermin to the wealthy healer.

Bastien meekly obeyed the man’s orders and held his injured leg for inspection. It was likely his other wounds would be visible; some looked and tasted wrong on his tongue when he had gone to clean them. “There are w-wounds I think you c-could look at. I don’t think they’re h-healing like they should be.” Air whistled through flared nostrils as he prepared for the pain that was likely to come next. “T-thanks, I r-really appreciate it.”

Art by Jmonster

Sebastien Stone

Salsola
Indentured Servant
Ketsuki
'Souls Soldier of Love
FOREVER BY YOUR SIDE

POSTED: Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:48 am

“Of course,” replied Neith, nearly scoffing as if whether or not he (or anyone) would assist was a stupid question. The poor man looked as if he’d gotten in a fight with concrete and dramatically lost; the natural reds in his coat blended far too smoothly with smears of blood and wads of dirt and mud. What in the world had he been through?

Once a safe distance from the broken glass, Neith helped the man down to the ground and knelt to take a closer look at the glass lodged in the softest places of the young man’s feet. His eyes strayed up the wounds across his legs, a variety of scars that, as Neith pulled apart the fur, he determined to have repeatedly opened and closed.

“Sit still. I’m going to take this glass out and clean what I can.” With a careful eye and a careful hand, the Heiwa removed oozing shards from flesh and patched the slicked-open holes. He was silent for a time, memorizing what he observed and calculating options. He dipped into a jarred salve reeking strongly of garlic and spread them along the feet, along the legs, along any other questionable tear he could find.

“Who are you?” asked Neith, never pausing from his work. “What happened to you?”

Salsola
Sanctus Apprentice
Lin
Luperci
CENTRIFUGE
lost in the static
THE GOOD DOCTOR

POSTED: Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:54 pm

It's like I can't stop what I'm hearing within
It's like the face inside is right beneath my skin

The other’s response came with a hint of a jeer to his tone. I must look pathetic. Bastien curled his hands and wrapped them about his chest. With his gaze cast downward, it was easy to take in the thick matts of fur where skin had crusted over. There were a few that hung loose as tufts, and he resisted the urge to pull at them. A sickening thought entered his mind that he would feel better if he ripped and tore at his skin - to rid himself of the darkness that coursed through his own blood.

The hound’s attention was drawn toward the medic as they moved away from the glass. He accepted the other’s help as he was guided towards the ground. The hybrid knelt beside Bastien, his teal gaze slow in its examinations. The lurcher tried not to fidget, or utter a sound as fingers parted fur or traced cuts. His pale eyes met the man’s briefly, as a look of fleeting desperation lingered in their depths.

Bastien nodded as his rescuer set to work on his foot. The healer was mercifully gentle in his endeavour, and yet the impulse to jerk his leg away was a near constant battle. The other was likely to feel the tension of his patient’s body through their physical contact, if the his panting and muzzle licking were not visible signs. The hybrid remained silent through it all, even as he drew a jar of something from a bag.

He drew his head back warily as his mind gravitated toward the contents being something bad. Bastien drew in a breath as he inhaled the strong scent of garlic, and would have settled down if the salve wasn’t so cold on his skin. The healer carried on applying the lotion to his cuts, as though being in such close proximity was a regular occurrence. Of course it was! A part of his mind snapped back at the anxious thoughts that wanted to run away from the situation.

The dog shut his eyes as the healer came closer still, and tended to the cuts that marred his face. The stranger spoke as he worked, and asked the questions that many had when they saw the wreckage that was the former Luperci. Bastien didn’t yet know how to answer them. How can you explain an event that you are struggling to understand yourself? The least he could do was introduce himself. “S-Sebastien, sir. W-what's your name?” He would need to work out the details for the story he was going to tell the rest of the world. In essence, he was going to have to lie, and keep lying. Anything that prevented the other outcome from happening. “I, erm… met the w-wrong person out there. I t-thought they w-were someone I c-could trust… Heh, I guess y-you know the rest from just lookin’ at me.”

Sebastien Stone
Dated 1st April | [wc — --] template by hilli

Sebastien Stone

Salsola
Indentured Servant
Ketsuki
'Souls Soldier of Love
FOREVER BY YOUR SIDE

POSTED: Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:36 am

“You’re doing fine,” Neith coaxed, sensing the slight but unyielding tension in the muscles under his touch as the man introduced as Sebastien fought to keep still despite pain. Neith respected him for this; aside from the glass entirely, the man had been through enough visible trauma that it was a wonder he was wandering about conscious at all. It thus came as no surprise he didn’t watch where he was stepping, but what would happen to him once Neith left? The Arbiter could not linger infinitely.

Needle and makeshift thread in hand and sewing stitches moments later, Neith paused from great focus. “You may call me Rust,” he said, resenting yet again that the proud name Neith Heiwa had still to remain a secret. For all its guff, Salsola quietly claimed it could not handle its own treachery and mistakes by insisting on false names—but then again, Neith was always looking for more reasons to pit against his home.

He stitched a moment longer, then sat back with stiches incomplete and looked long and hard at Sebastien. “No. I don’t know the rest just by looking at you.” We're close enough that a Salsolan could have done this. “If you want my help, I kindly request you to talk. I have people to protect.”

Stern or not, his sister and her children were soft and sensitive, and the Thistles had their enemies. Neith set back to work, stony and with an expectant silence.

Salsola
Sanctus Apprentice
Lin
Luperci
CENTRIFUGE
lost in the static
THE GOOD DOCTOR

POSTED: Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:23 am

He nodded meekly at the healer’s soothing words. It still hurt to his sore, tense body. It didn’t matter how much Bastien tried to tell himself to get used to the sensation either. Each pry of a claw that scraped glass from flesh caused muffled whines to spill from his mouth. Cold swept along his spine, accompanied by the unpleasant impression they weren’t alone. His eyes swept the streets, to find them as empty as when his rescuer had arrived.

Bastien knew he had to save his energy for the next procedure, and tried not to watch as the back and forth motion of the needle swam in his peripheral. One sudden movement from the patient could cause more damage than merely undo the doctor’s handiwork. The hound pushed past his revulsion - the sensations weren’t too different from being tattooed, after all. With one free hand, he covered the monochrome star that hovered beneath his collarbone instinctively.

Beneath his splayed palm, his heart rate slowed. “One, two, three…” As he counted his breaths, his mind turned toward the willowy shepherd. His lips twisted into a strange smile as he recalled Myrkr, but thankfully the doctor spoke and cast his ruminations aside. He suited the name Rust, now that Bastien was calm enough to study the hybrid. He was a beautiful mix of ash, cocoa and rich russet. He was also the only other Luperci to look the male’s way and help.

The pause in Rust’s work came as a welcome reprieve. Bastien yawned widely to relieve himself of the tension that lingered in his neck and shoulders. Now that the moment of danger had passed, the ache in his body became apparent. The hound gingerly extended arms above his head and grunted. Bastien rubbed tired calves, mindful of the fresh stitching.

Rust set his tools aside, with a hardness in his teal gaze. Bastien smoothed his whiskers with his tongue as he met the other’s eyes. The doctor called for his patient to elaborate on how he got his injuries. Pale pinks touched the ground briefly, only meeting Rust when he offered a lifeline. This was his chance, he had to keep going. A plan formed slowly in Bastien’s mind.

“Yes, yes please. T-tell me what I need to do, and I’ll do it.”

Sebastien Stone
Dated 1st April | [wc — --] template by hilli

Sebastien Stone

Salsola
Indentured Servant
Ketsuki
'Souls Soldier of Love
FOREVER BY YOUR SIDE

POSTED: Wed May 09, 2018 7:01 pm

The doctor knotted and broke the string, reviewed the stitch, and restringed the needle. Getting the man to speak of what happened to him was something of a struggle; considering Sebastien had clearly endured some level of trauma, Neith repeatedly reminded himself of patience and stifled the nagging fears for his beloved back home. If there was a madman about and this close to Salsola, they could not rely on secrecy and border traps alone. Salsola had trackers and spies, whom Neith assumed to be the best in the region. Given the right direction, he was certain whomever had wounded this Sebastien could be found.

He was certain he himself could be found, too, regardless of how far he ran.

“You need to tell me who did this to you,” said the doctor, frowning at another cut just deep enough to be suspicious. Without hesitation, he slipped the needle along the wound and began stitching. “Tell me where. Are you from a pack? Have you come far?”

Salsola
Sanctus Apprentice
Lin
Luperci
CENTRIFUGE
lost in the static
THE GOOD DOCTOR

POSTED: Mon May 21, 2018 12:16 pm

Sebastien’s eyes were heavy as he zoned out. Keeping still was proving to be difficult. The hound tried his best not to fidget but couldn’t help the odd twitch or two. Whatever it was Rust used to cover his wounds, it seemed to work. He sighed with relief as the dryness of his skin was replaced by a soothing sensation. His tongue lolled as he whispered, “Thanks, man.”

Rust repeated his earlier request. The merest flicker of down-turned lips from the medic was Bastien’s warning that it wasn’t over yet. He grunted as the needle connected with his flesh, and forced himself to turn his attentions elsewhere. “H-how long have you been d-doing this for?”

The medic wanted a detailed answer, and truthfully he wasn’t sure if he could do that. Every time a stranger had gawked or asked him what had happened, he’d either shrank back or kept mute. Bastien swallowed, and took a few steadying breaths, “P-Please understand I’m not trying to mislead you or be vague on purpose.”

“I can’t remember much. I’ll try to tell you what I can, Rust.” He turned his head to one side as he started to talk. “It was a w-woman… she was young. I don’t know where I met her, I’d gotten lost you see.” His jaw tensed as blood-soaked memories swam to the fore-front of his mind. The events were printed deep, and hidden by a mix of fear and revulsion. Bastien gestured to his own face and coat, “She has red eyes and a dark pelt… could be anyone, right?”

The hound yawned widely and shuffled into a comfortable position. “S-sorry, I’m tired. C-could I have some water please?”

Sebastien Stone
Dated 1st April | [wc +300] template by hilli

Sebastien Stone

Salsola
Indentured Servant
Ketsuki
'Souls Soldier of Love
FOREVER BY YOUR SIDE

POSTED: Tue May 22, 2018 9:00 pm

He pressed disinfectant salve into the last of the gashes he could find on the man’s calves and ankles, completed the stitch, and sighed. Too many resources squandered on strangers in need. If they learned of it, was there possibility that Salsola would look down upon his mercy?

“Last spring, about,” he said, tearing strips of dirtied fabrics in his bag. He hadn’t been home to wash them clean yet, but the wounds were sterilized and sewn, and some off-color fabric would have to suffice. “But I’ve been around herbs and what have you my whole life.”

Neith said nothing as Sebastien explained himself at long last, and said nothing for a time after Sebastien finished, too. The Heiwa had started to hold his breath, and his hands stilled as he willed his stomach to settle. Red eyes, dark pelt. Elphaba?

No. Absolutely not. That made no sense. “Right,” he replied.

He knotted the last of the makeshift bandages, stood, and dusted off his knees. “I'm about finished, anyway. Stay. Get inside if you'd like. Once I've brought back water, I'll put aside some supplies for you take to keep the infection away. I trust you have somewhere to go.”

He didn't wait for a response. "I'll be back soon." He took his satchel and left for the bay, breathing deep the evening air and praying it would would settle his nerves.

Fade out around here?

Salsola
Sanctus Apprentice
Lin
Luperci
CENTRIFUGE
lost in the static
THE GOOD DOCTOR

Dead Topics