move away from the noise of this place

POSTED: Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:34 am

I forgot when this was meant to be dated so have vague until you're on to remind me. ;_;

When the situation in the Court became too unbearable, Galilee wandered.

It was a cowardly thing to do, and she knew that she should be there for her friends -- especially now that they were leading up to what felt like a critical moment. The rebellion would succeed, but what if they were found out beforehand?

She went walking in the woods, her spear in hand like it made her feel safe, though everything she dealt with past their borders seemed so trivial now. She remembered the scrap she had when she was a child and thought about the other faces she met: intriguing loners she would likely never see again, sweet-faced girls of an allied pack that didn't know to come to their aid.

She tightened her grip around the shaft. Should she go to Casa di Cavalieri now? Would Mistral know?

No. She set the butt of the staff in the snow and sighed a white cloud. It would mean nothing if their freedom was won by strangers, outsiders. This was their fight.

But the fiddle-footed girl still didn't want to go back home yet.

Cour des Miracles
Roturier (NPC)
Raze
Luperci
spear of justice!
anime is real.

POSTED: Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:16 am

[WC: 340]

He kept waiting for someone to show up, but few people ever lingered on the sprawling borders. O'Riley found this peculiar – but if the strife the pretty foreign girl had alluded to was truly as bad as it seemed, he supposed they might stick close to the source. That they had contained such a thing suggested it was an affair they did not wish to be made quite so public, and felt familiar.

Salsola had, after all, not long ago cast out one of its own leaders. They had done this quietly, without fanfare, and even the far-flung place where his mothers lived accepted such an event without too many questions. There was too much turmoil in this place to allow it such easy transformation. He could smell that on the borders. The mournful wolfsong he and Kamari had heard in the night was pierced by sorrow, and every so often that night they had caught traces of smoke on the wind.

It was cold during the nights, but they were shortening, little by little. This pleased O'Riley greatly, who was looking forward to the end of icy days. When he left the little campsite behind his first thought had been food, but hunting was difficult in unfamiliar places like this. He grew frustrated the longer he went, but he was nearing the pack again. Scruffy-looking and stinking of the forest, he might have fit the role of a hungry loner if one overlooked his size and overall health.

He thought he had fooled the last girl pretty well, in any case.

The tawny and faded cinnamon colored one he spotted lingering ahead was armed. She was pretty too, with her curly hair and great height. If he had been on two legs instead of four, he thought they might be near in size.

Curious to see how she would react, he announced himself with a low wuff. It was a sound which was more suited to a dog – O'Riley looked nothing like one beyond his dark face.

if the thunder don't get you
then the lightning will
Salsola
The Erilaz
Mel
'Souls Assemblage Luperci Informatore LET ME IN
a tightening atrocity
ECLIPSE

POSTED: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:15 am

--

She slowed and sniffed, twitching her ears, and a low dog bark flicked them toward the woods where she saw him. He was a tousled wild-looking thing, but his voice and the black of his muzzle marked him a hybrid like her. She, too, looked more like a wolf than anything, but for the warm golden base coat and softness in her face. This softness disappeared when she smiled her toothy smile.

Hey, Galilee barked back. She didn't adjust her grip on the spear; it would be easy enough to thrust it out at him if he meant ill. Her look was polite but cautious. What are you doing so close to the Court?

It was not unrelated outsiders who caused trouble, however, but those who had some idea they were connected to the Court. This stranger didn't look like he'd be one of Mistral's goons. He looked like he'd been traveling for some time, and Lee more easily read these signs than noticed the fullness of his coat and build. After all, she had yet to experience real hunger herself.

Cour des Miracles
Roturier (NPC)
Raze
Luperci
spear of justice!
anime is real.

POSTED: Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:36 pm

[WC: 303]

Looking for food, O'Riley called back, and this was not entirely a lie. He ate well enough despite being without many easily accessible foodstuffs, and between himself and Kamari they scrounged up enough fresh meat to keep them from being irritable or needing to go through their traveling supplies. They had begun practicing with their secret method of communication, and some of what they managed to do with this was easier than other options. When they regrouped they worked through these problems, slowly eliminating them through trial and error. The young woman was proving a capable asset.

What he was doing now could have been done alone, he thought, but it was easy to rely on the fact that someone else was there, and that someone else knew where he was. If he was captured (unlikely) or killed (laughable), Salsola would know where to look.

The young woman was more wild looking than the last one. He liked this about her at once, which allowed part of his act to be easy. It was miserable work dealing with these Outsiders, who were nevertheless bits and pieces of things he found familiar. O'Riley was not ignorant enough to mistake this for coincidence, for he understood that many a stranger had come to join his Family as the seasons and years went on. He was a native son, though. He was different than the rest of the world.

I wasn't trying to trespass or nothing, he went on, choosing his words and voice carefully. I smelt the borders, don't worry, I'm not here to cause any trouble. O'Riley smiled and wagged his tail, but his eyes never left her face, even now as he showed his own teeth casually, unthinkingly meeting her expression with his own. S-ha-ay, that's a fancy spear. Are you a warrior?

then the lightning will
Salsola
The Erilaz
Mel
a tightening atrocity
ECLIPSE

POSTED: Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:06 pm

The male hunted, but assured her that he didn't intend to trespass -- which would have been Galilee's next warning. Most wolves weren't that foolish, unless they got ideas about having rights to places. She snorted, as if to suggest she wasn't worried about it anyway, though that would have been a lie. Her father had fought plenty of crazy people out in the wild, right?

Of course, he could always be lying. It was probably prudent to keep him talking and learn what she could. The more he talked the more likely he was to slip up if he had ill intentions, right?

She glanced at the spear and smirked, planting the butt of it in the leaf-litter. "Training to be," she said. "My father is the military head of the Court," she added, as if to suggest this meant something in relation to her own skills. She was inexperienced, but she had a good training foundation. She didn't need to bluff, but she shouldn't make herself sound weak either.

Paranoid thoughts were these, racing around her head like rats, but they were her bedfellows since Mistral began her reign.

"I'm Galilee. We could hunt together, if you want," she offered. "Two heads are better than one."

Cour des Miracles
Roturier (NPC)
Raze
Luperci
spear of justice!
anime is real.

POSTED: Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:36 pm

[WC: 312]

A warrior-in-training didn't tell him enough to grasp her skill completely. Choosing to remain wary of this, O'Riley decided he did not like the idea of underestimating what the young woman could do with the spear. His grandmother used a spear – he had plenty of reasons to be respectful of what it could do. He thought of how she hunted with it, but mostly about when she fought. He would not get caught unawares of the pointy end.

Encouraged by her introduction, he returned his own falsified name. “Call me Elhaz,” the wolfdog said, and was pleased by her offer. The other woman he had encountered had been far more skittish, but something had spooked her long before O'Riley found her by the pond. This girl was someone of importance, he supposed, if her father was the pack's strongest fighter.

The Court had things like Factions too, or so their sources said. Each one had its own leader, which led beneath a King and their advisors. Galilee was someone like himself, he reasoned, if she was the daughter of someone of note. This made it easier to force down the greater dislike he had for her on principle alone.

That sounds like a plan, if you're able to, I mean, he said. It sounded as if he meant to stumble over these words, but even now his voice was too smooth and rolling, like he had no reason to hesitate when he spoke. Maybe he didn't. He looked as if he had never been in trouble before.

Except for the scars.

What's good hunting around here? O'Riley asked, sniffing at the wind as if this would betray such information. I used to live further up north, but now that I'm by myself I wanted to see other places. I guess you must know all sorts of cool spots down here, eh?

then the lightning will
Salsola
The Erilaz
Mel
a tightening atrocity
ECLIPSE

POSTED: Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:24 pm

"Elhaz," Galilee repeated, to see if she had the pronunciation right, and grinned.

She, too, briefly sniffed the wind then turned decisively, tilting her spear down to maneuver it more easily through the vegetation she strode toward. "I like hunting near the lake," she said. "Deer come by there fairly often, elk too -- and if nothing else there are usually beavers and things nearby." Water attracted life of all sorts; Lee knew this very well, spending much of her days near the ocean.

Or she had, before the conflict began. Now when she looked out at the waves she couldn't find any answers. Even the dolphins had disappeared.

"You said you're by yourself now, what's that like?" Galilee asked as she headed through the trees, ducking under a branch that would have grazed her ears at her substantial height. Her palm braced against a trunk as she manuevered, keeping the loner in the corner of her eye.

Cour des Miracles
Roturier (NPC)
Raze
Luperci
spear of justice!
anime is real.

POSTED: Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:39 pm

[WC: 265]

That makes sense, he said. A lake would be an easy landmark to remember for the future. He and Kamari had done a fair job coordinating their position, but there had been changes since a star fell into the sea. Beyond that, it was new to them – and he wanted to get his nose down into every part that might prove memorable or useful in the future.

He was still learning how best to do this job. It was hard making things up as he went, but that wasn't all bad either. Most of his work was done best when he was alone, when no one could bother him or be around to blow his cover. Even better, the fewer eyes upon him the easier it was to get what he needed done one way or another, even if it wasn't always the proper way to do things.

O'Riley kept a fair space between them, picking a route which mirrored her own well enough. It was too early in the season for brush to obscure his vision, though every so often he would divert to find a better passing over uneven ground.

Something big would be nice, he mused, and there was truth in his idle thoughts. He was terribly hungry all the time now that most of his days were spent being bored and waiting for things to happen. Living alone is alright, I guess. Sometimes it's hard to catch things, and I have to move around a lot, so I don't bother anyone. What's your pack like? Do you like living there?

then the lightning will
Salsola
The Erilaz
Mel
a tightening atrocity
ECLIPSE

POSTED: Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:05 pm

Galilee jumped up onto a fallen log bridging a frozen creek, walking along it a few steps before hopping back down and returning to the main track. There were a couple of these winding through the undergrowth, animal-made, though in places the clearings were made from felled trees. Her father told her stories about how thick and dark this forest used to be before the red star fell.

"Yeah, I imagine people 'd get suspicious if you stayed in one place too long. You ever think of joining a pack?"

She scratched at her cheek and glanced sidelong at him again, wondering about her own upbringing, and commented on it with a shrug when he asked her about her pack. "I like it, but it's all I've ever known." She didn't sound disappointed or wistful, really; she liked her family and friends, and giving that up for the whimsy of adventure was a childish thing.

"It's normal enough for a pack, I guess. All the royal titles aside -- I mean, 'king' is just another name for 'alpha' in the end. But I love living by the ocean and hunting the southern woods and fields." She did smile now, reminiscing on activities she hadn't been able to joy since the winter began. The expression waned a little, thoughtfully. "Like I said, though, I don't have much to compare it to."

A hill made for steeper ground, and she climbed this with ease, enjoying the faint strain in her calves and the sensation of muscles flexing and adjusting for balance.

"Were you in a pack? Or a family group I guess?"

Cour des Miracles
Roturier (NPC)
Raze
Luperci
spear of justice!
anime is real.

POSTED: Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:18 pm

[WC: 209]

Used to rocky ground and mountainous terrain, O'Riley traveled along this easier ground almost effortlessly. His deep chest and muscular legs propelled him forward and up the hill, taking it faster than the girl. At the top of this slope he turned to face her expectantly.

I used to live with my grandfather, he said. This story was not entirely a lie, though the man he described was not the one back in Salsola. Though Stannis knew quite a lot about quite a lot of things, using a dead man's identity somehow felt like it was keeping his memory alive...even if O'Riley was the only one who really knew about this, or cared. My family all split up. I don't know where they all settled, but I stuck around with him – he was old, you see, he needed the help. He's passed on now, the wolfdog offered, though did not explain how.

I guess it was kind of like a pack, but I don't really know. You said your dad is some sort of head warrior, right? That means you're probably pretty good with that, huh? O'Riley teased, flashing a look towards her spear. What do you guys do down here? It sounds like a real nice place.

then the lightning will
Salsola
The Erilaz
Mel
a tightening atrocity
ECLIPSE

Dead Topics