And the world has somehow shifted

Minerva

POSTED: Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:31 pm

Maelyx Nocturne

Weeks had passed since her escape from Khael's dark clutches, and her life had been irrevocably altered. When she was first captured, all she could do was pray for young Jaketta's escape. Once that happened, the witch began praying to the Goddess and casting minor spells for her child's saftey; she cared not if she ever made it out of that dank hole, all that mattered was that Jaketta made it home safely. Maelyx knew it was impossible for a child as young as Jak to lead the others back to the place Maelyx was, so after her child slipped away and escaped captivity the jackal assumed that was it for her – she would be down there forever, until her death...

But a brief life and painful death beneath tons of rock in the Stellarton Mines was not what fate had in store for her. It seemed her prayers were answered, and Jaketta made it back home not only safe, but with a stranger who helped her along the way, and who could lead Lux and Greed back to the general place where Jakkie had been found. Maelyx had been underground for more than two weeks when the warriors found her. It was the surprise of a lifetime... The witch did not know she had gone blind. No, that was not apparent until the men guided her out of the black depths of the mines and into the light of day – a light she could not see for herself.

Avinalora swore to heal her, but Maelyx knew there was no coming back from this. What luck the witches all held... the majority of them half or all blind now... Was this some sick joke? More than once, Maelyx wondered if the gods had forsaken her. She had been a loyal, faithful servant of the divine. What had she done to deserve this?

In the few weeks since her return, the priestess had learned to pick her way around the camp with the help of a makeshift cane. Now, the branch poked around at the ground as she followed the scent and sound of lazy water. She felt the afternoon sun on her fur, warming the tip of her nose, and knew the waters would be glistening beautifully even though she could not see it with her own eyes. Maelyx found her way to the edge of the water, feeling the spongy wet earth of the banks at her feet, then swiped the staff through the air a few times until it bounced off of a stone. She knew this stone well, for she spent most days and nights here, staring with dead eyes out over the lake, lacking all her old verve and passion for life.

OOC Early afternoon at Moonstone Lakes. Maelyx is wearing this dress. ❈ WC 400+

Circle of Ravenshadow
Pyromancer
☥ Nukiira ☥
Luperci I command you, I control you Eclipse the Blood Moon
filia lunae lumen
☽ Know Thyself ☾

POSTED: Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:39 pm

Over the past half moon the cream girl had become a little confused by what had traversed in Anathema. There were so many conflicting views of the now ex-pack. She was not deaf to the whispers of the older Cavaliers, and according to the story she had heard from Griffin they had been slavers. All the negative feelings towards those who made up Anathema had left Minerva rather confused. The few canines she knew from the dead pack were kind, all be it very different from the Cavaliers. Different in a way that made Minerva feel more normal.

One of her talents was how little she talked versus how much she listened when in the company of others around Casa, and with this talent she had learned about a group of witches that had taken up residence around a lake by the abandoned city of Halifax. Eager to see Maelyx again, and hopeful that this may be where the witch was not residing. So with her cloak wrapped around her, helping her blend into the evergreen forest, and her hog tusk spear in her hand, the young wolfess headed out of the Fort and towards Halifax.

When Jace had returned, injured from battle and claiming Anathema’s fall, Minerva had been worried for her spiritual mentor, but she had not been in a place to go off in search of her. Besides, Minnie was so much younger than Mae, and doubted she could be of any help. Instead she had stayed put and focused on completing her adulthood ceremony. Now, with news of a band of witches so near by, she could not ignore the hope that filled her chest and the way the wind blew gently against her back as though the spirits where ever so sweetly guiding her along.

It took much of the day, and many a wrong path, until the Griffith spotted a small grouping of tents directly on the waters edge. Perhaps this was it? Sniffing the air she didn’t recognize one scent form the other, and the pack smell, that would have triggered the image of Anathema, was completely vanished. Using her spear as a walking staff and pulling her hood down from her head, she approached the small encampment. A male walked out to greet her, surprised to hear the request for Maelyx, and pointed her towards the lake. Wandering past the tents she caught a glimpse of tall tan ears and dark hair, it had to be her! Being mindful not to startle the witch Minerva paused, stopping a couple of canine lengths from the woman sitting on the stone. “Maelyx?” She asked, her voice soft and filled with hopeful curiosity.

OOC: 400+ words

Casa di Cavalieri
First Cadet
Melissa
Luperci

POSTED: Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:49 am

Maelyx Nocturne

In the brief time since the loss of her sight, Maelyx began to learn to pay more attention to her other senses. Luckily, those senses in a canine were already stronger than sight, so had she never become accustomed to using her vision for so much she may never have missed it. But now, though her other senses frequently raised the alarm, she did not know how to interpret those alarms. For example, as Minerva carefully padded up now, Maelyx detected the occasional whisper of a paw pad over the pebbles, or the wet sounds when she passed over muddier earth. But unlike the “seasoned” blind, she did not know the pattern of her friends' footsteps, and had no suspicion that this was not one of the members of the coven.

The jackal went rigid when Minerva said her name. For the briefest moment, she was startled that someone outside of her family had snuck up on her. Perhaps she was being too innocent in all of this, depending on her family too heavily and expecting them to sound the alarm any time someone outside of their group came near. Or... perhaps she had a death wish and just did not care to be that aware of her surroundings.

Whatever the case, the witch eased a moment later, realizing that she did, indeed, recognize the voice. She said nothing at first. Instead, she turned slowly, never rising from her seat but twisting atop the rock, placing her cane as she went. Her ears twitched and swiveled, toying with her wavy sable mane far more than in any normal circumstance – she was trying to pick up any more sounds, any clues to visitors besides Minerva. She detected no one, but that was no proof to her...

If the young woman did not suspect that something was amiss by now, then the way Maelyx gazed over Minerva's right shoulder would do the trick. The witch's black nose twitched, working overtime, though none of this was done consciously. Her brain knew that it had lost a faculty, and was not working twice as hard to commit new forms of data to memory with greater detail than it had in the past. Maelyx recognized the aroma of herbs and Casa, and most of the scents that Mini typically carried in her pelt.

Minerva, she breathed the name in a long exhale more than spoke it. There was a pause as the witch wondered if Minerva had been prepared for what she would find... this living corpse... this shadow of the once lively witch. So you have found our new home. Did you have any trouble? I brought word to Casa when we first moved, but I never knew how well it spread. An ear tilted as a fish skimmed the surface of the lake, then dove back down to the depths for safety. Come. Sit down, child, she offered, taking the chance of making a fool of herself. For all she knew, Minerva had padded up and taken a nice, comfortable seat next to her already.

OOC ❈ WC 500+

Circle of Ravenshadow
Pyromancer
☥ Nukiira ☥
filia lunae lumen
☽ Know Thyself ☾

POSTED: Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:10 pm

The whole idea of a camp of witches set Minerva’s pleasure senses off in her mind. Despite her relatively conservative and quiet demeanor she had always been a child of wonder. A wild imagination wound screws and gears through her mind that she could not control, and it was just such wondrous tales as these that set her into a frenzy. She couldn’t have made such things up herself. Just as she had been enamored by a pack of justice and freedom, so was she in awe of those around her in the camp. What kind of magic did they practice? What could they teach her? How long would they be here? She had to know!

For now though, she had to remind herself of her duty as a Cavalier, the duty she was sure Fenris willed of her – to ensure her friend was okay and provide any aid she could. Of course, she was cheating a little bit on what Fenris would want. Truly if she had been a good follower she would have rushed off in search of the fallen Anathemians to provide them with food and medicine, but Minerva was still young and unskilled in many ways. The only weapon of justice she currently had was a spear she was simply adequate with, and she was no healer. So, in the name of Fenris, and all the spirits, she gave of herself the only gift she could – a concerned friend.

It took the woman in front of her some time to respond, leaving enough anticipation between their words that Minerva had felt the sense of dread flood over her at the very slight chance that this was not the same Maelyx, despite the physical proof before her, or maybe she has over stepped her place by coming here. At last she heard her own name spoken and she calmed slightly, only to be overcome with confusion at the sight of the jackal hitting a strange stick against the rock as she moved. As she turned to face the Cavalier it was obvious that she was not in the best of health, her frame thin compared to what she had been moons ago. At the offer of a seat the young wolfess obeyed respectfully, gingerly walking towards the witch and taking a spot next to her. “It took me a little bit but no real troubles.” She replied with a smile. “I only recently heard the rumors of a group of witches living near Halifax. It takes some time for the younger members to hear news…..but how are you? Are you feeling unwell?”

OOC: 400+ words

Casa di Cavalieri
First Cadet
Melissa
Luperci

POSTED: Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:35 pm

Maelyx Nocturne

A small, wry smile formed on her muzzle when Minerva asked her how she was doing. Maelyx did not want to be cynical and rude, and probably Minerva did not know what the smile was for, but it had come upon the jackal before she realized what she was doing. It was also rather interesting the way Minerva failed to mention the obvious, or gasp in horror. Well, Maelyx had been told that she did not look any different, did not look blind save for her vacant stare, so perhaps Minerva really did not know yet. Yeah... right...

Well, I am sorry for that, although she was being honest, her voice lacked any of its former vitality. I truly did not mean for you to lose track of me. It can be frustrating to lose your mentor when you are new to the craft.

After that, a soft breeze picked up and tousled Maelyx's mane. A few strands danced in her face which she did not brush back. 'Feeling unwell' has a whole new meaning to me, now, she said, turning away from Mini. But compared to the last few weeks I am a delight. I heard no muttering when you arrived so perhaps you do not yet know... I spent some weeks in captivity. I only recently came back home a few weeks ago, thanks to Lux and Greed and some stranger they called Moon Moon, who I may never know. Her voice was sterile, clinical, like she was just telling a story, another myth, and not something that happened to her first-hand.

But I am back with most of my health, and it puts new weight on being able to stretch my limbs whenever I want... hear my children play... be close to family... her voice trailed off. There would probably be more questions, and she would probably find a way to answer them, but she did not want to pour out too many facts about her horrifying captivity if they were not sought.

Changing the subject, she stamped the ground with her cane a few times before inhaling deeply. If you did not know about my recent trials then did you come just to visit? Or is there something more? Do you need help with something? Your studies? A new lesson, perhaps? Though she did not mean to be so obvious, there was hope in her voice. For once she might be of more use than a thing to pity, or a science experiment for Avi to try to heal, or a frail creature for Lux to try to protect. Perhaps she could be of use, if only for a brief time, to Minerva.

OOC ❈ WC 400+

Circle of Ravenshadow
Pyromancer
☥ Nukiira ☥
filia lunae lumen
☽ Know Thyself ☾

POSTED: Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:24 pm

Now, sitting beside the elder woman, the youth could truly see that something was…off. She didn’t see to react the proper way to her sitting down beside her. Her face and voice seemed lost, and her eyes never met their mark. After answering the question and asking her own, she waited for the response, but her mind was stuck on the abnormal way the jackal moved. As she spoke her voice seemed quite dead, causing the cream wolfess quite a bit of concern. Her head tilted and she spotted a passer by staring at her, upon locking eyes the wolf shook their head in a ‘no’ fashion.

Even more confused she looked back to Maelyx, her face clearly showing her emotions, but her mentor did not change to reflect the expression. In quiet realization the Griffith listened to the story in amazement, while her hand reached up slightly waving to see if her hypothesis was correct. Her mouth became agape as she realized for certain that the blue eyed woman could no longer see. This conclusion came to fermentation just in time for the witch to say she have been in captivity, explaining that she was recovering. Her brows frowned as she stayed silent, not wishing to interrupt the tale.

When the conversation turned to the Cavalier, she struggled to decide just how far she should prod for information. Instead of directly invading the older woman’s privacy she related the information, hearing some change in emotion in Mae’s voice. “Well,” she hesitated, “I do wish to learn more. It was my hope that I would find you here and you might….well you might allow me to visit you. Today specifically though, I would like some of your insight into the divines.” She paused a moment, adjusting in her seat on the rock. “I don’t know if you have heard but flowers have emerged along the coasts south of here. They seem to have mind alteration powers and have taken a life from Casa. Do you think we have angered mother nature? Perhaps another spirit?” It was a difficult conflict for the young spiritualist to figure out on her own, but perhaps someone with more years of experience would know if this was a matter of the spirits or not.

OOC: 300+ words

Casa di Cavalieri
First Cadet
Melissa
Luperci

POSTED: Tue May 01, 2018 2:26 pm

BLESS YOUR CHILD THIS SECRET NIGHT
Word Count → 700+ :: OOC I could have kept going, but the post was getting long enough. Wanted to give you time to react and respond. She will keep on going with more questions from Mini, and can help her with some of the magical workings she has in mind to help understand.

Maelyx nodded agreeably when the young girl expressed her wishes to visit her. Yes. You are my pupil, and I would be delighted for you to visit any time you wish, she said, her voice kind and motherly like the woman she had once been, if only for a moment. I will let the others know that you are always welcome. Relations with Casa have always been good between us, and already Avinalora knows you are my student. You are welcome here.

After that brief interlude, Minerva went on to tell her about the mysterious flora which had sprouted up all over the region. Maelyx tilted her head down and brought her hand to her chin in thought, the fingers of the other hand working a rhythm on the makeshift handle of her cane. I did not know, she muttered quietly, wondering why no one told her about the event. As an herbalist she would have loved to study the flowers. Everyone walked on eggshells around her these days, afraid to send her into bouts of grief. Truthfully, they were not wrong. Her disability was still new and she often had night terrors, and days where she could not get out of bed for pain and sorrow... but she did not believe being babied was the way out of this. All she wanted was to get her normal life back. How could that happen if the people around her were as different as she was, now?

The witch took in a deep, steadying breath to fortify herself, letting it out slowly with a hiss. I can tell you much about the Divine. The trouble is where to begin? Minerva's concerns were more than valid. Maelyx thought about it for a beat before continuing. There are countless pantheons, each with their own chosen set of gods and mythos. Some have many gods, and demi-gods, and so on. Others have just a single deity. The one thing that is repeated throughout all of these collections? The gods are jealous, quick to anger, and vengeful.

Most pantheons are polytheistic, with more than one god. Not all of the gods anger easily, but most of them seem to. They want things done their way, and they want it done right... they are gods after all. What we believe as witches... well, what most of us believe... is that each of these separate, divine spirits are a part of the same higher power, she tilted her face toward Minerva – a few weeks ago, she would have peered into Minerva's countenance to see if she comprehended. Now, she just had to guess. Best to err on the side of caution and give her all of the information. Some mornings you may wake up with a temper. Your mood is foul and everything annoys you, from the glow of the sun to the cheerful flower. You may not know why you are so agitated, you just are. Other mornings, you leap out of bed with vigor, excited to meet the day, loving everything you come in contact with from the child throwing a tantrum to the rock you tripped over. These are different aspects of yourself. The gods are different aspects of the same spirit, but gods are timeless. Hours and days and years do not affect them, so gods can be all of these moods at once. As mortals, to make sense of that, we have named those 'moods' - so while Aphrodite loves, Kali prepares for war.

The short answer is, yes, it is entirely possible that one of the darker aspects of the Divine has been angered. Though, struggle and strife are not always given to us as a punishment, as much as it may feel like it, with this, she idly lifted a hand and placed it upon her face, beside her eyes. She could not help but think of her own situation... about how punished she felt. There are aspects of the gods and goddess that put obstacles in our path which intentionally tear us apart, but it is because that destruction is necessary. There can be no creation without destruction, no life without death. These... flowers... may be a punishment, or they may be preparing us for something bigger.

With that, the witch grew silent. She was not sure if she helped Minerva at all with any of this. The gods were such fickle creatures, and were so hard to understand most of the time. The only way they could know for sure was through magical practices. She did not want to dump too much on her student to think about at once, so she paused here to give Minerva time to ruminate and formulate new questions.

Circle of Ravenshadow
Pyromancer
☥ Nukiira ☥
filia lunae lumen
☽ Know Thyself ☾

POSTED: Wed May 16, 2018 5:50 pm

Even though she tried to drive the conversation away from the obvious, her mind still danced around it. The last time she had seen the jacket women, she had been in the prime of health and quite formidable. Although she still held an air of respect about her, Minerva’s curiosity was getting the better of her. Still she kept her mouth shut, and tongue bit on the matter. She would ask latter if the time felt right. The last thing she wanted to do was offend the one wolfess that could give her some answers. For now she needed to focus on the flowers and how they were going to help solve the mystery surrounding them.

A smile spread across her face as the older female called her pupil. It was similar to being Teagan’s apprentice, she supposed, but in this case the relationship was one of spiritual questions and learning, instead of he physical. It was easy for Minnie to decide that she preferred this sort of apprenticeship. As Mae went into thought the younger girl watched, anticipating an answer much more deeply thought out than her own. Unfortunately for her, the answer was not what she expected. She opened her mouth to protest, surely she had to have some idea?! But she bit her tongue in the last second, catching the woman take a deep breathe before speaking again. She listened at the edge of her seat, eager to take in everything that was being said.

The Divine was mysterious, she knew this. Some days the gods and goddesses would bless them, like the night she had passed her First Blood. Other days they were not so lucky. Maybe by learning more she could begin to draw her own conclusions about the flowers. As she listened, however, she became quite overwhelmed. She did not recognize some of the words she used, and skipping over the words she had to piece together the meaning of the sentences. It was difficult to do but she tried her best. She had learned already that some people seemed to have one or no gods, while others had many. What she had not expected was all the talk about anger. The spirits of nature she knew were gentle and needed patience to coax an answer from, but the divines, Mae explained, had wicked tempers.

Thankfully the wiser female explained things a little simpler, building a connection to the Cavalier’s own experiences. Questions began to form but she dared not interrupt. Then the topic returned to the flowers, and at last she had some sort of answer, a maybe glazed in the explanation of ill-tempered divines. This was something she could buy into. Tales of divines smiting the land with mind control flowers, she couldn’t have thought of something more interesting! The idea of it not being a punishment however, that was more difficult to swallow. “So….the gods and goddesses are all one thing but with different names? And the flowers….are a test. A test of what though?”

OOC: 300+ words

Casa di Cavalieri
First Cadet
Melissa
Luperci

Seabreeze Brink