these bruises make for better conversation

POSTED: Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:11 pm

Set somewhere in the Dampwoods, about midday. <: (+3)

Finding decent fire wood was not as easy of a job as some made it seem. The snow in Canada was rarely absent- and that week, it was deep enough to even hinder Ocèane, whose towering height usually allowed for her to avoid the worst of it. But once she could walk through the powdered forest without sinking every step, she immediately made preparations to find more fuel for the beloved Great Fire. While it was still burning bright, the pile of wood that was usually stacked next to it was becoming low, and a source of concern to the Hineyu. For the heart of the village to be extinguished was a bad omen indeed, and had only happened once before, years ago. She was determined never to let that flame flutter, and so it was with vigor that she headed for the stables that morning, seeking out the mare Gda and her abilities to pull a heavy load.

Their going through the trees was slow and tough. Luckily, this patch of forest had wider spaces between trunks, allowing the draft and the cart she was pulling to maneuver, even if plowing through the snow was enough of a task. Ocèane did her best to clear away the powder for the animal and its load, not wanting to wear her out before they even reached their destination- which, luckily, the Fire Maker had already picked out.

The sun was still climbing to its peak when the woman stopped, bright eyes following the curves of the small clearing they had found. The trees' limbs were knitted fairly deeply above their heads, sheltering the ground, for the most part, from moisture. And just as she had hoped, the fallen tree lay across its middle, already missing decent chunks of its frame from the various times Ocèane had visited this place. The Aston led Gda to the edge of the clearing and loosely tied her reins to a low limb, before snatching up the wood ax that was laying in the bed of the cart she pulled. Then heading over to the fallen giant, the blue-eyed lady began her search for the driest, most useful part of the trunk, before she began to chop, each heavy fall of the blade echoing lightly through the surrounding forest.

Océane Aston

Ann
Luperci the rules of paradise are never nice
I want your fears, your hopes
the whole kaleidoscope

POSTED: Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:47 pm

Thank you for starting. Sorry about the wait! :c References for Singer (being led beside) & Beau (being ridden)!

See galleries for credit.

It was strange to be out on his own, though not unpleasant. Cody left Casa di Cavalieri after a few days, having learned what he had expected to, and now he was alone -- no knights, no siblings, and no Colm.

He did, however, have the company of his horses.

Cody was in one of his rare good moods, balanced easily in the saddle with one hand on the reins and the other holding the rope that connected the two horses. He doubted he would have been as successful as he was with traveling and with the skittish Singer if Beau wasn't such an experienced horse. The old pinto was a good teacher, and ponying Singer had come rather easily; while genial all-around, Beau had been quick to put the younger gelding in his place if he was slow to follow or tried to pass him. Riding with two horses had become routine now, and with the winter quiet around them, he was at peace.

Ponying was a bit of a dance in the snow and woods, with some paths too narrow for the horses to walk abreast, and potential falls with each buried log, but he juggled his focus well without his giggling siblings and a mentor he desperately wanted to impress. "It weren't pretty," as Wayne would say, but Cody thought every day a success if he didn't get bruised and banged up too badly. He hadn't fallen on his ass in a week.

A chop echoed through the forest, its usual sounds muffled by snow, and Cody pricked his ears. He recognized the noise after a few heartbeats and, venturing onward, saw tracks of wheel and hoof in the snow. Remembering his father's stories about the days before Casa, he decided to follow the tracks, keeping eyes and ears open and focusing his nose to the scent of a pack wolf and sweating horse.

Cody rode down the path until a shaft of light fell from a broken canopy, settling on a great fallen tree and a woman beginning to chop away at it. The mongrel frowned, tilting his head, but Beau nickered a jovial greeting to the tied mare, and Cody couldn't help but utter a dry chuckle.

Tie my bones to the saddle and turn our faces to the west

Elan Soquili (NPC)
Raze
Luperci

POSTED: Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:08 pm

no prob bob (+3)

She worked tirelessly, swinging the axe with the power she harbored in her towering form. The wood wielded to her wishes, and it wasn't long until she had begun a small pile of chopped wood, the perfect consistency and thickness for firewood. The sun moved overhead, and she was lost enough in her work she almost missed the sound of a second nickering horse, and thereafter the chuckle that was unmistakably male. Ocèane was not particularly surprised that company had found her- often, when she came here to chop wood the noise brought a curious stranger or two. Panting slightly, the Aston straightened, swinging the axe to stick into the log she was cutting from. "Hello." She greeted, briefly examining the stranger before moving her gaze to look over his companions. She raised a brow when she noticed not one, but two horses in tow, one of which the boy sat on the back of. "You've got yourself quite the company there." She mused, smiling lightly, before she crouched to move and pick up an armful of chopped wood. She then made way over to the cart that was hooked up behind Gda, and dropped the load. Gda, on the other hand, had moved from looking through the snowy powder for anything edible to instead looking at the new arrivals. The mare neighed lightly in response to Beau's greeting, very intrigued, as rarely did she see horses outside of the ones stabled within AniWaya. She wondered if he was a trader, looking to get rid of the horses in exchange for goods. It was plausible- but a journey in the middle of winter seemed a bit out of character. "I'm Ocèane. You?" The Aston greeted, moving back over to where she was prior to retrieve more wood, once again walking to deposit in Gda's cart. She didn't want to leave it on the ground for too long, or it would get damp, and then it would be worthless.

Océane Aston

Ann
the whole kaleidoscope

POSTED: Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:01 am

<-- teenage boy x3

See gallery for credit.

The woman straightened, the axe finding its home in the log, and Cody's head tilted slowly sideways again. Howdy, he replied, and wished that he had a hat to tip to her. Or take off for her. He reached up and awkwardly scrubbed fingers through his short but unruly hair, while Beau made more friendly overtures to the dun mare. It was Singer, stepping close enough to bump his head under Cody's elbow, that brought him out of his reverie as the woman went on to begin loading her firewood.

Uh, yup. He rubbed Singer's neck affectionately. This here's Singer, 'n' the friendly one's Beau. He stared another few seconds before setting his jaw in a resolute version of his usual scowl and dismounted quickly from the pinto, heading to the pile of wood she'd created. Name's Cody, ma'am. Here, let me help you. He reached for a section of wood, then a few more, attempting to gather as much as he could to carry.

What pack 're you from, ma'am? Cody asked, straightening and feeling his arms already begin to scream with the excess weight. He considered dropping some of the logs, but instead shuffled toward the cart, admiring its make.

Elan Soquili (NPC)
Raze
Luperci

POSTED: Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:53 pm

(+3)

Ocèane couldn't help the grin that appeared when the youth first spoke. It had been a long time since she'd heard that slow, drawling accent, and almost odd on her ears. But she didn't mind it- she always found the ways in which others strung together their sentences and the fluctuations of their speech to be interesting. Her's was bland, at least to her own ears- there may have been the slightest of accents due to the Cherokee language she often spoke, but it was so minimal it was practically negligible.

After a moment of the newcomer seeming to be at a loss of what to do or say, he slipped into a chivalrous offer she'd rarely witnessed. Ocèane's smile didn't falter. "Thank you, Cody." She returned gratefully. She'd half expected him to demand information or simply for the conversation to be a bit colder, as seemed to be the case with every stranger she met. "They look very able. Are you traveling to trade them?" She asked the question she'd first conjured, not because she was interested (AniWaya had plenty of horses), but because she was curious if she could help him in any way: return the favor.

Cody's help allowed the job to go quicker. Ocèane took another trip, filling her arms before shuffling back to the cart and stacking the wood near the back. Gda watched quietly, still curiously eyeing Beau and Singer. "AniWaya, just an hour or so of sunlight off that way." She lifted a shoulder towards the tracks she and the communal horse had made in the snow, signifying where they'd originated from. "You smell of Casa, but not much. Do you live there?" She questioned, curious again. Maybe he'd just traveled to the Knight pack for trading purposes- horses did seem to be part of their inventory, as well.

Océane Aston

Ann
the whole kaleidoscope

POSTED: Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:11 pm

He froze as she mentioned trading the horses, and Cody glanced at her with round eyes betraying his youth. No, he said, perhaps a bit quickly, and grunted as he dumped the wood into the cart. He dusted bark and debris off his hands and frowned, looking at the horses. Ain't tradin' them. Beau's worth too much, Singer ain't worth enough. It was almost an attempt at a joke, but it fell flat -- in no small part because Ocèane wouldn't know either of their abilities or pasts. He cleared his throat, averting his eyes in acute embarrassment. They're like... family to me. I'd be lost without a horse around. That felt more honest and to the point.

His half-lopped ears pricked when she mentioned her pack, and Cody nodded. The Tribe, right? I heard of it. You prolly got plenty of horses there, too. He realized belatedly that he'd not gone to pick up more wood and jumped to rectify it, again piling as much as he could into his arms out of masculine determination. And naw, I was only a guest a while. My pop used to live there but left a lil' before we were born. I'm from the south -- far south, the States.

Cody dumped another bit of wood and grimaced, rubbing at a strained muscle. What's it like? AniWaya.

Elan Soquili (NPC)
Raze
Luperci

POSTED: Sun May 10, 2015 10:01 pm

SLOW (+4)

The boy's reply was quick and brimming with an almost sort of fear. It was easy to pick out in even his accented tongue, only because she'd heard it so many times. It was the sort of fear of losing something precious. The stranger immediately followed with a sort of antic that was potentially meant to bring laughter, though Ocèane couldn't fathom why. Nevertheless, the Aston lifted a corner of her mouth in a smile of amusement, if not for the joke itself then for the fact she had no idea what he meant. It was soon that the boy realized his mistake and stumbled to rectify it, and now the female's smile turned from faint to full-bloom. She remembered precisely when she struggled with words of her own, and almost missed her youth, even if she still acted much too young for her age. "A horse is a very loyal companion. Better than people sometimes, I'd say." She mused, lifting a shoulder and heavily dropping another load into the wooden cart. Her statement held some type of weight, but one that a stranger couldn't very well decipher. Her past was a good example of how it was possible to rely on others too much. Creatures that couldn't talk were much better, most of the time.

"Yes. And we have plenty. Sometimes I feel like we have too many horses and not enough Elan Soquili." Now it was her time to make a mistake, belatedly realizing that Cody wouldn't have the slightest idea what an Elan Soquili was. "Horse friends." She clarified, using the direct translation from Cherokee to English. That still didn't make complete sense, but she'd stumbled too much to try and correct herself a third time. "The States. I remember them. Much too warm for my taste." Her fur ruffled at the thought. At the beginning of her journey Ocèane had taken a turn to the South, simply going where the wind urged her. But after a few weeks she'd turned around, feeling she couldn't handle even the slightly warmer climate without needing to drink her bodyweight in water. "It's home." She started, smiling at her vague answer. Heaving another armful of wood to return to the cart, Ocèane continued. "It's hard to explain to those not familiar with it. Usually strangers find our culture odd. For example, I'm a Gata Hineyu. Fire Maker. No other pack I know of has a rank dedicated to fire." Her smile didn't falter as she thought of the many conversations she had on that very topic, and the many odd looks she'd been given for saying as much.

Océane Aston

Ann
the whole kaleidoscope

Dead Topics