A culture is no better than its woods

POSTED: Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:40 pm

[+400] Saut's accompanied by Sinech. This is for one of Inferni's thread prompts. I'm alright with any interaction - with an Anatheman or otherwise! Ignore the length - I got carried away. :>

Saut ran a svelte hand through his bi-colored hair and let his eyes drift closed.

The voice of the woman who rode next to him droned on softly as she described the various beasts of her past – horse and canine. Sinech sat upon Tobias so that she towered over the Sciens atop the silver Hiba. They carried little between the two of them: Saut's scarf, Sinech's saddles, one of his jackets draped over her shoulders, a pack of tools and herbs (should they run into a trade opportunity), and a pouch of eyeballs and other meats for Twinkle Toes, the raven who accompanied them. They'd set out early in the morning, after the younger male had shyly asked the Dalisani woman if she'd accompany him. Of course she'd complied, if only to keep him from falling off the great equine.

The two monochrome Infernians moved slowly through the trees, but they made steady progress towards the eastern mountains. It was a quiet day, enough that Saut could just barely hear the crashing of the waves on the beach, several miles away. His chin bumped against his collarbone with each rolling step Hiba took, but he wasn't tired. Just at peace, if only for the afternoon.

In the distance appeared Anathema's border, and Sinech's words trailed off. Saut opened his amber eyes again and looked skyward. Twinkle Toes flew some distance ahead of them, then circled back to land with a low crrk in the lean hybrid's hair.

“Fly low, but not enough to cause suspicion. If you see anyone, land somewhere and pretend to scratch or something.” The raven bobbed her head and remained on her perch as they neared the border, far less decorated than Inferni's own. The scent of it was fresh.

“To look for anything?” she asked. Sinech shook her head and brought Tobias to a halt. Hiba drew up beside them.

“No,” the light-eyed woman said. “I think we're just lookin' for general information. Be careful, alright? And with that, the black bird took off, and the two Luperci moved a little further away from the border.

They dismounted by a stream and tied the horses to a tree. Saut sat down on a stone and peered into the water – Sinech sat next to him. For several minutes they sat in silence.

“Is it true that Maddox tried to ride the dark mare once?” he asked her after a while.

“Maelysa?”

“Yeah.” Sinech's head snapped back with a single, loud ha.

“I forgot 'bout that! Yeah, it was last summer. We were walkin' through the stables and...”

And so it went while they waited.

POSTED: Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:20 am

Good evening. Some info on Lukos' appearance is slightly outdated, trying to edit as I go along.[467]

Lukos, who was strangely not very "Lukos" then, was wandering around the borders. The wolf had no aim, or any real point to his actions, other than to experience the world around him. With a katana trailing in the ground behind him, the grey figure trundled along, blissfully ignoring anything uninteresting. If any Anatheman who knew him on a friendly enough basis, they could see that something was amiss. Lukos would normally carry himself purposefully, with strides and a clear goal of what he had to do that day. But instead of being alert and swift-footed, this Anatheman was meandering from place to place, arms relaxed while gently swaying, almost slouching as he walked. The tall wolf was most definitely not himself, as he hummed softly, yet eerily to himself.

The not-so-Lukos wolf looked up at the tree canopy, trying to spot one of their birds that watch the border. It was always entertaining to pester them, as Lukos himself had it deeply ingrained in his mind that their border patrol had a vendetta against him after years of petty squabbles. Both the ravens and the crows would caw at him, to which Lukos would insult them back. He never knew if they understood him, but the intention must've been clear, because the two sides would continue warring as such for some lengths of time. Lately, the Tuyul hadn't been able to keep the tradition going, but the slinking figure was thinking of rectifying that.

It wasn't long till he spotted a raven in the leaves, seemingly minding its own business. Giddily, the male crept up, growling softly, before latching his claws on a tree, proppelling himself up as he leaped at the avian, barking at it with a harmless snap from his jaws before landing on his knees and darting across the border in laughter. Resting against a tree trunk and looking back, he gave a cackle, sure that the little show would stir them up, those bird brains. Stepping away, he took an exhilarated breath. And another. With each breath through his nostrils, the wolf caught another scent nearby. A scent that smelled strongly of Inferni. Inquisitively, the wolf quietly padded off in the direction from where the scent originated.

It wasn't long before he had eyes on the merry band of outsiders. They had been sitting on a rock, passing back and forth bits of small talk, none of which interested the one who was watching them. Their backs were to him, so the wolf leaned against the closest tree, folded his arms around his chest with his sheathed blade snugly resting in them, and loudly cleared his throat.

"Helloooo." he said with an mischievous smile. "What brings a couple coyotes to this neck of the woods?"

Image: Stanley Zimny | Texture: MercuryCode | Table by Sammiie

Avi by the amazing Corie!
Loners
Wolf
Fluffy
Luperci Mate to Nyx

POSTED: Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:58 am

Hiya! :>

The longer they talked, the more Sinech let Saut dominate the conversation, and the happier he was to dominate. It was easy for the gregarious woman to see that he the younger hybrid did not often get such a chance, for his first few sentences had been disjointed and tended to trail off, as if he thought she'd stopped listening. Cool green eyes considered the monochrome Sciens. She began to prompt him to continue, to lend him some confidence.

Meanwhile, Saut's heart was fluttering with anxiety. He felt undeserving of the Dalisani female's attention.

They were laughing at Kaena's lack of decorativeness when they were startled by man's greeting. “Shit, Sinech gasped, and the monochrome pair scrambled forward and turned to meet the pale man. The doggish hybrid tried to point, though his fur was fluffed up with his apprehension. He'd heard only negative things about Anathemans.

“Hi,” he said, dimly. He tried to think of something else to say but utterly failed. His older companion took over.

“We're on our way to meet a friend,” she lied with ease. Saut found his voice in that moment.

“Just stopped for a rest.”

POSTED: Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:19 pm

Hiya! Prepare for snarky alter-ego jabs! Sorry this took a while btw.[000]

Predictably, the sudden noise sent the two travelers flying off the rock to face a rather smug looking wolf, who restricted himself to a grin as to stave off rolling over laughing at their feet. It was a curious appreciation, getting the drop on others. The only thing that felt more amusing was seeing the scrappy one floof out like a flower suddenly bloomed. In a sarcastic, monotonous voice, he said "Oh no, one of them turned into a puffball, how will I ever escape." with a customary roll of the eyes. With a huff, the tall luperci unfolded his arms, limply holding his katana by the sheathe.

A very unconvincing "hi" sputtered from the afore mentioned coyote, "You can relax, Puff-Pup. If I was going to do anything, the first item on the To Do list wouldn't be 'Alert Opposition of Presence.'" "Lukos" slinked a few paces forward, so both he and they could size the other up more accurately. Opposed from the tall, thin looking Infernian, the woman was much more built. Out of the two, she'd probably pose the bigger threat. Though not wanting to complicate life for the original chrome dome owner upon waking, mainly by causing war, the wolf was going to try and have a bit of self-control. As he conceived possible fight scenarios, the woman herself spoke up for her companion. The wolf eyed them suspiciously, even after her thin little pal spoke up again.

"A friend? Really?" he asked incredulously. "This far east?" he added, with a suspicious look. After glaring at the two for a second, he relaxed his posture and gave a shrug with his arms, a grin reforming on his muzzle. "Well, I hope you remember to remind them that Anathema's back in town, so they doesn't wander in on our little coming home party. It would be such a shame, for whoever it is." He hoped that at least the woman had caught the heads up, as the coyote summarily nicknamed Puff-scraps in thought, wasn't showing too much promise. "So," he continued, "Happen to know where this friend lives? It might be in my interest to meet them, seeing as the Anathemans are supposed to be buddy-buddy with everything that has a tail, or whatever." Perhaps if him not using them as cutting boards wasn't enough evidence, perhaps if he dropped a few more hints they'd get the message. All this "delegating" was starting to wear his patience thin.

Loners
Wolf
Fluffy
Luperci Mate to Nyx

POSTED: Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:55 pm

It's fine! I took a while, too.

Puff-Pup?!

The white man's words had the opposite effect on Saut, whose nape puffed up further at the nickname. Seeing his offense, the Dalisani woman continued to take point on the interaction, and she straightened to her full height at his approach, stretching out a hand so he'd come no closer. Pale sights considered the man and deemed him dangerous, though she was certain she and Saut together could take him. But they were just on the misfit pack's border, and there were likely packmates within calling distance.

“Yeah,” she responded. “This far east. She's a trader – affiliated to no pack.”

Meanwhile, the monochrome Asylum man had slowly begun to un-puff himself. He squared his shoulders and made his voice deep and confident. “We'll tell her,” he interjected. Then, mostly ignoring the man's question he said, “It's not in your best interest. Why are you 'back in town,' anyway?” Sinech glanced sideways at him but did not stop him from daring to continue. She was distracted by the horses, who were watching the strange canine warily and growing anxious.

Saut took a bold step forward and sneered. “Were there no packs around destroy, where you went?”

POSTED: Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:52 pm

Yeah, can't even muster an excuse for this one.[538]

The younger luperci flared up even more, to his amusement. His companion took charge however, dominantly standing before the Anatheman. The wolf was right, she was the more dangerous of the two. She was quick to reassure their visitor that this supposed friend was no threat to him. "That's good. Maybe I should tell him, I'm sure he'd like to tell Anathema that there's possible trade in the area." the male said as an aside. Looking back to the pair, another recognizable grin spread upon his features. "Perhaps I really would like to make her acquaintance then, it might be to both of our benefit." Meanwhile, the coyote decided to address him again, this time trying to be even more intimidating to a similar end result.

A tail twitched in annoyance, liking the way this child dealt with things less and less. It seems that the small fry was slowly making a mistake in trying to stroke his ego. "I'll decide what's in my best interest, Infernian. And Anathema is back.." he added with a smirk, "..because someone with some sense decided to come home. And it's about time, too." he spoke with a huff. The wolf was getting bored, having to deal with this runt. With the woman, he could have a somewhat decent conversation, but this pipsqueak had no courtesy. He was gazed indifferently into the woods, when the Infernian made a mistake.

The wolf, still gazing, clenched his teeth, closing his eyes as he did. Unable to restrain himself further, he whirled in a full 180, rapidly drawing his katana. Intent on taking out the red in his vision on the closest object, it was lucky that the closest thing was the tree from before. With a roar of anger, he slashed at the bark with only one hand on the hilt, furious in speed. Without losing any traction, he abruptly turned to face the invaders, clinging onto a low hanging branch from that same tree for life. He snarled venomously at his offender, "Watch your mouth, boy! How DARE you try and lump me with that, that-" Another roar of fury, the wolf pried his hand off the branch that was cutting into his paw, only to slam the side of a fist into the trunk. "That spoiled, second-rate whelp! If he didn't have to have a horse to cart his ego around with him, none of this would ever.." Giving a growl, the wolf spun in the opposite direction, giving the tree a final lash as he did.

Breathing heavily, his shoulders lurched with every inhale, claws digging into whatever they had clung to, most likely his arms. After a few brief moments, he let out an exasperated sigh, looking to the clouds above. Facing the duo once more, his right hand propped him against the abused tree, nails clicking against the punished wood. "Not everyone agreed on New Dawn." he muttered towards them. Glaring darkly at the Infernian boy, the wolf was trying to not bare his fangs. "Not another word from you."

Glancing back at his partner, his expression was tense and serious, rather than smug as before. "Do you want something?"

Loners
Wolf
Fluffy
Luperci Mate to Nyx

POSTED: Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:08 pm

(300)

Seeing the twitch in the man's muscles before his explosion, Sinech snarled a sharp warning and yanked the younger Infernian backwards by his hair before he could potentially fall under the weapon. The horses began to stir and made several attempts to rear and pull away from the tree to which they were tied. “Tend to them,” the woman hissed, pale gaze locked on the raging man before them. She shoved Saut roughly towards the beasts and made herself as large as possible. Her fangs glinted in the dim sunlight, and her hands clenched into fists, ready to make contact with flesh. The wolf did not come any closer, but his eyes shone with a decidedly unhinged light, and Sinech did not like the well-sharpened look of the wicked blade he swung.

The monochrome Asylum was not gentle as he laid his hands upon Hiba's cheeks, but he hummed reassuring tones anyway. His lips and the bridge of his nose twitched with anger at every word. “We should go,” he muttered to the other coyote, but then the white male stopped. Saut turned to face him again, amber eyes smoldering.

The man's words, though, were surprising. Sinech held a hand forward again, to keep him at bay. Her other hand she pressed against Saut's chest. She didn't remove her gaze from the stranger, but the utter hybrid could guess at her thoughts without reading her expression: Do as he says, you idiot. Perhaps there was information to be gleaned, here.

Well...Saut would rather be an idiot than take orders from a lunatic.

The Infernians spoke at the same time, but the man's voice was unfortunately much louder.

“No. We'll be on our way, now. Don't want anymore trouble.”

“Why didn't you do something, then?” he asked, tone incredulous. He was too worked up to think of a better insult, but his voice was thunderous as he snarled, “You fucking pain in the ass!”

POSTED: Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:01 pm

Good god, I love reading your reply.[685]

Just as she had gotten between them when the wolf lost his temper, the woman continued to block the males from going at each other's throats, less physically towards the one with the naked sword. Clearly, she was the most reasonable mind present. If it was just her that the wolf had stumbled on, the situation might've taken a different direction than what it did. Unfortunately for her, the Puff-scraps tagged along.

Just as he was about to relent and drop the conversation, the scrawny Infernian shouted over what his companion was trying to say. Which the grey madman had decided to not be worth the effort in figuring out what the woman had said, given the obvious challenge. There was no humor in his mood left. The wolf was completely, and utterly serious. He gave the youngest such a withering glare it could be used to define the phrase "If looks could kill." His arms were, strangely, relaxed and devoid of tension. It was a tense moment before he responded.

"You bet your ass I am." He took a step in their direction, with a paw being firmly planted as if the appendage was bracing itself against any forward momentum. Though a single glance at his enraged eyes could tell that he so desperately wanted to rush the two ahead. "Be glad I'm operating on borrowed rules, whelp. Otherwise, you would be getting to know this blade on a personal level." He turned the hilt just enough for a flash of sunlight to dance on the katana's surface. "Intimately, in fact." he continued with the slight tilt of his head. Almost absent-mindedly, the wolf began pacing in a straight line, never moving towards the two, but also not moving away.

"The situation was much more complicated than that insignificant smattering you call a thought process could handle. But for simplicity's sake, let's just say that I could not do anything, even in a physical sort, about what happened then." Twirling off and facing what would be the Infernian's left, he raised his hands as if to grasp something on either side of him, sword still in hand. "Personally, I could care less about what happens to Anathema. Boss man, however, cares a great deal, so I grudgingly play along to his tune. But," he said with a glint in his eyes, head twisted towards his spectators. "As you can see, I managed to pull the carpet out from under him, and can roam as I please. The problem is," he muttered, turning back solely to his pacing. "if I cause any trouble, he's sure to take the wrap for it. And seeing as my life expectancy is entirely dependent on his, this puts me in a bad spot. So!"

The wolf whirled around to face his guests, as if finishing a lesson and checking on the class. "In short, if I kill you and your girlfriend here, who by the way is sooo much more of a threat than you it's laughable, Inferni will surely want every Anatheman's life. With the head honcho being an Anatheman, this means he'll most likely end up dead. Twice over, since it'd be me killing you after all." His free hand was placed firmly on his hip, only enhancing the mocking tone he was practically radiating. An excessive amount of eye rolling and head bobbing accompanied the long-winded speech, blissfully keeping the wolf from staring at the younger male for too long and gutting him out of spite.

"And if he dies, then I'm dead as well. Therefore," he finally began to conclude as he quickly sheathed the sword and attached both wrists against his waist. "please do not make me want to slaughter you like the shit-nosed, moody burnt out twig that you are, even more than I do NOW thanks to your endless stupidity." Leaning forward, the wolf glared at the boy with a gaze aimed to set its target on fire. "Was that dumbed down enough for ya?"

Loners
Wolf
Fluffy
Luperci Mate to Nyx

POSTED: Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:29 am

We can end this with your next post or mine, if you'd like? :>

Not two seconds had passed after Saut's damaging words that Sinech took his slender muzzle and forcibly held it shut with both of her hands. He did not fight the touch, but eyes like hot coals bore into her own with more hurt than anger. They growled at each other – the younger male with his tail held high and defiant, and the larger female with the physical advantage in that moment. The Anatheman's words cut through their minor battle of wills, though, and both Infernians listened warily during his speech.

“Indubitably,” the lanky coymutt growled finally, after a long moment of wrestling his snout out of the Dalisani woman's hands. Meanwhile, Sinech saw a flash of black in her peripheral vision – Twinkle Toes had returned, but she knew not to approach in the presence of the mad stranger. Saut saw the raven, too, and aimed a stiff, mocking bow in the man's direction. He kept his gaze averted submissively, though it pained him.

“We'll be on our way, now,” Sinech said again firmly, still serving as a physical barrier between the Anatheman and Saut and the two horses. She backed up a few steps and laid a hand on Tobias's flank.

The tall Asylum mounted Hiba and forced his voice to return to his regular serious, business-like tone. “I'll warn our friend to steer clear of your borders,” he assured, flicking his hand towards the trees beyond the light-furred man casually, as if the previous chaotic minutes hadn't even occurred. As the Sciens, he was in charge again, now that he'd regained control of himself. Sinech climbed upon Tobias as soon as she was certain the Anatheman would make no more hostile moves.

POSTED: Sun May 01, 2016 11:15 pm

Whichever you prefer is fine with me. Thanks for the fun thread! ^_^[000]

Watching the duo satisfactorily, the young punk had finally freed himself of his cohort, responding to the crazed wolf with only one word. A fulfilled smirk spread it's merry self on his muzzle, still leaning towards them. "Good. Happy that you understood." Then, strangely his target of mockery actually bowed. The wolf was rather taken aback by this, relaxing his posture as he stared dumbly. It seemed like he was always demanding respect, so when he actually forced it out of someone he had no idea what to make of it. Giving a sniff and glancing off to the side, he studied the trees in that direction intently. "Good to see not everything is lost upon you."

The mistaken man looked back at the Infernian woman as she made towards their horses, momentarily at a lost for words. "Ah. Glad to hear." he said awkwardly. Now with nothing to clutch, his paws idly swung back and forth, clasping whenever they met in front or behind him for a brief time. As the two began to leave, they left an off-balance male to ponder alone. Had his explanation actually got them to leave? He originally assumed that the hot-blooded one would try to escalate even further, and assault him after he gave a big speech to provide an alibi. Or at least, that's what he was telling himself. But now that they were prepping to go, the wolf felt slightly miffed.

For the moment he felt strange. For the moment, he felt childish. Arms falling limp, the male watched the others mount their horses. "Tell her not to be a stranger, if there's anything she... he trailed off, helplessly gazing at the two preparing to ride off together. wants." Now that he had forced them away, the air around him seemed almost sorry, for all of his actions so far. It took a second, but the wolf eventually snapped back to snarky atmosphere he arrived with. Wheeling around to the direction he came from, the swordsman was fuming. "I need to kill something..." he muttered to himself.

Loners
Wolf
Fluffy
Luperci Mate to Nyx

Dead Topics