"In life, unlike chess, the game continues after checkmate."

P. Derek!

POSTED: Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:14 pm

Avinalora
Life is a game, play it

A silver shape moved through the forest. She moved almost silently because of the pine needles muffling her footsteps. She was very petite and quite skinny with large ears and a bottlebrush tail dominating her shape. If she had been in her Lupus form, one would think that she was a tiny, weird-colored fox. Her eyes were green, one being darker than the other. Some wouldn't notice difference in hues because the girl always kept her bangs in front of her left eye. She was clad in a grey and white raglan and black leggings. Slung over her shoulder was a leather satchel and on her back was a small box.

Avinalora was farther than she had every strayed from Midnight Shores. She normally wandered around Colchester Quarter or Wentworth Valley but now she was in the Dampwoods, a place she had only crossed though once when she and her brother, Jarix were journeying to find a pack. This time, she was alone except for Spencer, a young silver fox she had adopted.

The silver jackal was on high alert. This was the south and last time she had been here, it didn't go very well. She was worried that she would accidentally cross a pack's borders as a lot of the southern packs were grouped close together. She knew that the packs she was near, Casa di Cavalieri and AniWaya were friendly, and the healer had met an AniWayan before. That didn't calm her nerves as she still looked around nervously whenever she heard a noise even though her vision was almost gone. Her sensitive hearing and smell would probably help her if someone came close, but she couldn't run.

Finally, the medic found a perfect place to set up. She found a relatively flat rock with a log near it. With a satisfied smile, she leaned her satchel against the stone and the took the box off her back. She unhooked the tiny latches and opened the container only to drop the wooden pieces on the ground. The Spica unfolded he board completely and then placed so that the checkerboard pattern was facing upward. With deft hands, she set up the game and then looked expectantly and the foxling who had perched on top of a long on the light-wood side. The youngling knew how to play chess and was pretty good at it despite his young age.

After two games that ended quickly, they finally had one of those impossibly hard games to play. So, the pair decided to reset the game and the Midnighter was setting up the board again.

Optime | Day | Somewhere in Dampwoods | Spencer the silver fox |
Long post, much muse RE-EDITED BECAUSE OF REALISM ISSUE

WORD COUNT:

Image courtesy of [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/48141388@N07/5321022942/[/url]; table by the Mentors!

Last edited by Avinalora Phoenix on Mon Sep 05, 2016 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Silverfrost
Luperci
Somebody make me feel alive
The queen of a wretched design
I walk through the fire

POSTED: Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:51 pm

Derek was on his way to a pack that had caught his interest, when he caught the scent of another nearby. His ears gave a twitch as he heard the sound of soft clacking. It was the only thing that made him go investigate, his curiosity getting the best of his laziness for once. Soon he saw what was causing the sound. A fox like canine, playing what looked like chess with a....fox? "Heh...wow, that's something you don't see everyday." he looked the female over lazily, his pose slouched slightly, his hands in his pockets. Derek looked at the fox with a slight hint of curiosity "Didn't even know you could teach a animal that sort of thing"

Derek returned his gaze to the female, a easy going smile spreading on his maw. "I'm Derek." he offered his name first, a habit he tried his best to stay in. Sometimes he forgot. The white wolf looked to the board again "Is that chess? Been a while since I've seen anyone play that..." in fact, it had been since he had to run from home. Since leaving the cave in...and losing his family...he hadn't seen anyone play chess. It seemed one of those human traditions that didn't quite stick. Only a few canine he had met even knew what he was talking about if he happened to mention it. He watched the board as silence fell comfortably around them, blinking slowly as he awaited her answer.

256 words
Last edited by Derek Winter on Mon Sep 05, 2016 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
" title="My Wiki" class="player-wiki">
heya

POSTED: Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:48 am

"Foxes are clever creatures"
Optime | Day | Dampwoods | Spencer the silver fox
Sorry that it took me so long to respond!RE-EDITED BECAUSE OF REALISM ISSUES
WORD COUNT

Avinalora heard someone approaching them. Her large ears told her quite a bit about the incoming creature. It was on two feet and she could guess that it wasn't very large. The smell in the air said that it was a male Luperci and she could scent something familiar on him, very faint but she could smell it. Spencer turned around to look at the stranger and the medic decided to see who this person was. She turned around and saw the male.

His fur was alabaster which made him stand out in the dark woods like she did with her ivory-hued pelt. The wolf's eyes were blue and was complemented by the blue hoodie he wore. Even without her coyote-sized brother, she could tell that the wolf wasn't very large. Being a part of the Shores meant that she had been around quite a few wolves and they all seemed quite tall. The she-jackal didn't feel threatened at all by the male and offered him a small close-lipped smile.

The smoke-hued tod's eyes narrowed slightly as he heard the man's remark, "Didn't even know you could teach a animal that sort of thing." The Midnighter didn't teach her ward. He had simply heard her adopted brother explain to his sister how to play and had observed the pair play against each other a few times before joining in a few games. The kit had a few wins under his belt from several rounds.

"I earned though observation, I wasn't taught." The fox said as he cast his one-eyed gaze onto the wolf. The she-jackal was lucky that her companion didn't scare off the male. Judging by his remark, he probably didn't interact with vulpine species. She also betted that he was surprised at the Twilight boy's appearance as he still had the bandage over his eye.

The stranger introduced himself as "Derek" and the Spica nodded. He didn't offer a last name which her half-sister had told was normal for most. And then he asked if they were playing chess and said that it had been a while since he'd seen anyone play it. That piqued her interest as she didn't know that others played chess. Her coal-coated brother had read a book on it and decided to try and make a chess set. He was good at whittling and each piece looked perfect to her.

"I'm Avinalora, healer of Midnight Shores." She said. It was now a habit for her to introduce herself in that manner after that incident not too long ago. And then she replied to his next question. "Yes it is, do you play?"

Avinalora
Image courtesy of Manuel Romaris@Flickr; table by the Mentors!
Last edited by Avinalora Phoenix on Mon Sep 05, 2016 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Silverfrost
Luperci
I walk through the fire

POSTED: Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:30 pm

Derek blinked as the fox spoke...with actual words...not that he could understand them. He gave a apologetic grin "Heh, didn't mean to ruffle your fur." then the white wolf looked to the female as she introduced herself, and said that it was indeed chess. Then the female...Avinalora? asked if he knew how to play "I used to play when I lived with my pack...that was a while ago though." The male rubbed the back of his head, wondering if he would be any good at it anymore. Then he shrugged "Mind if I watch?" he would be fine with that, it was relaxing to watch others try to be strategic. It would be especially interesting to see the fox at play.

The male stuffed his hand back into his pocket as he waited to see how she answered. If she declined, it was no fur off his skin. He gave a light chuckle as the thought passed through. That was a good one...fur off his skin. The white wolf swished his tail a little, the only activity from his relaxed posture. Even his eyes seemed to be relaxed, gazing almost uncaring at the fox like female. Well, pretty much uncaring, since he didn't really feel physical attraction to anyone. The only interest he had in her, was that of a likely friend.

229 words
heya

POSTED: Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:52 am

Avinalora
"Lyrics Go Here"
Optime | Day | Dampwoods | Spencer the silver fox
Sorry for all the trouble and the delayed reply! Fun fact: I actually simulated the game when I was writing it and used chess coordinates. Also, the only important parts in this ginormous post is the first and second paragraphs and the last sentence
WORD COUNT

Avinalora noticed Derek's slight surprise of Spencer's words. She guessed that he had never spoken to a fox before and probably didn't know they could even talk. And then he offered a grin in the form of an apology before adding a remark. The foxling gave a small huff and then returned to staring at the board. She then realized that the Twilight boy had moved a knight to H3 and now it was her turn to move and she automatically moved a pawn to E5.

Then, the winter wolf responded to her earlier inquiry, stating that he had played it before in a pack which the medic assumed was a previous pack as he said it was some time ago. She nodded and then the male asked if he could watch. The young tod gave a slight nod and then the she responded. "Sure."

Then the fox slid one of his pawns to G3 and the Midnighter responded by pushing a pawn to B5. This was one of the strategies she used. Free the queen and bishops and then the castles as those were her power pieces in the game. To her, knights and pawns were expendable. The silver fox watched her move before he moved another knight to C3. She could tell that he was going after her pawn on B5. She smiled smugly as she moved her pawn forward. That would force Spencer to move his knight to avoid being slayed by the pawn. He moved the knight to E4 and then she continued her strategy by sliding a pawn to G5, freeing one of the bishops. The young male went for the pawn. The vixen realized that if she took out the knight with her queen, she would loose the piece to the other knight on E4. She then chose to move another pawn to D5 which would force the other knight to move so that he wouldn't be killed by her pawn. There were no options because the queens and bishops were free and all of the moves landed in the paths those pieces would take.

"Well that knight is screwed." The one-eyed fox said and the she-jackal nodded with a smirk. And then the fox pup noticed that the knight on G5 was in the path of the queen and moved the piece back to F3. Then she took out the knight with her pawn and in her position on E4, she could take out the second knight. But then the piece in question was moved to E5, taking out the pawn that was there. Then, she moved a pawn to C5 and the vulpine slid a pawn forward to B3. The silver jackal then carried out the other part of her strategy and slid a pawn to H5 so that she could free then rook. Then, the smoke-hued male moved another pawn forward to H4. The she-fox was tempted to take out the pawn with her queen but if she did that, she would loose her most powerful piece. So, she switched to trying to free the other castle and pushed a pawn to A5. Then, a white pawn was moved to E3 and the other side moved a bishop to G7 which was now able to take out a knight. The fox saw this and moved the knight to C6.

But, he had left an opening which she gladly took. The bishop took out a castle on A1 and was safe from retaliation. Spencer muttered an oath under his breath before freeing his queen by moving his pawn to C4. The ivory girl noticed that his knight could take out her queen where it was on C6 and moved it to C7. Then Spencer noticed the move he missed and then took out her knight on B8. She then moved the queen back to take out another of his knights and he moved a pawn to D3. Then, she took out that pawn with her pawn on E4 and he took out her pawn with his queen. The moon-washed maiden noticed that if he took out the pawn on B5 with his queen, that would leave her king open to attack. So, she moved a pawn to C4 to block the queen and keep it from even attempting to take out the pawn as that would lead to it getting slayed by the pawn on B5. Seeing that his queen would also get slayed by the pawn he looked up at his guardian.

"That was a damn good trap." he commented before moving his queen back to D1. And then jackal woman moved her bishop to B7 where she could possible take out his castle. He noticed the attack and moved his pawn to F3 to block her. Then she decided to put her bishop back to work and moved it to G7 and the pup moved a pawn to take out her pawn on B3 which set off a whole entire pawn murder spree where there was only one white pawn left on B3.

Then, the Spica noticed a move she didn't see and moved her queen to C7. Her opponent didn't figure out her ploy and choose to move a pawn to B6. She slid her queen to G3, taking out the pawn there and now the king was in checkmate. The monochrome female had won this round and a victory smile graced her features.

Template by Andi

Silverfrost
Luperci
I walk through the fire

POSTED: Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:33 pm

Derek sat cross legged, resting his head in his hand after the female said that he could watch. He did so with his lids at half mast, looking like he could fall asleep at any moment. His eyes were the only part of him that moved during the whole game, watching each turn lazily. The small fox was good, making several crafty moves. Unfortunately for the creature it seemed the female was better. The surmise was proven true as she won the match. The white male smiled a little more widely "Congrats"

Derek wondered if he could beat her. It was likely she would, since it had been so long for him to play against anyone. Back at home, the only one who ever beat him was his father. He was sure that was mostly due to the older male having more experience at the game, and the fact that he had only played against his younger siblings. Derek gave a yawn as the thoughts passed through his mind, and looked to the female "Going to play again?" he would likely sit here all day, even after the two tired of their game. The male was in no major hurry to get where he needed to be.

207 words
heya

POSTED: Sat Sep 10, 2016 1:39 pm

Avinalora

• Word Count: 256
  • Time: Day
  • Form: Optime
  • NPC: Spencer the Fox
Sorry for the super late response!  

Avinalora dipped her head towards Derek as he congratulated her for winning. She then nodded at Spencer and he returned the gesture. A silent "Good game." passed between the two. They always did that after a match, no matter the winner. It was a show of respect between the two players and their skill. Nobody ever gloated over their victories as they tried not to take things that had happened on the chessboard into real life. Chess was a game that tested them but didn't show who was smarter or better.

The vixen looked back at the white wolf and decided to invite him to play a game as she thought that he might be bored. He would have a choice to play with either the silver fox or the she-jackal or could reject the offer. She was fine if he didn't want to play. And then the man asked them is they were going to play again. She guessed that he was a patient person as he had sat here and watched their game without indicating that he was bored.

"Do you want to play?" She asked him. She didn't know of his skill level at chess but she could go easy on him. The foxling was at somewhat of a intermediate to master level and often won games. And maybe the alabaster male was a pro at chess or was a journeyman at the game. She didn't mind playing against a beginner or any player because she could possibly learn new moves from them.

Template by Kitty and Aso, image by Sergiba

Silverfrost
Luperci
I walk through the fire

POSTED: Sun Sep 11, 2016 1:35 pm

Derek lifted his head "Sure, I would enjoy a game..." he looked between the two "With...you my lady, if you don't mind" not that he had anything against the fox. The white wolf would just feel more comfortable playing against the female. He wondered for a moment if he would even be able to beat her....then decided to play as he used to against his brother. A wider smile formed as he thought on it. It was a rather...trick filled way to play...but it wasn't against the rules. His father especially would be frustrated with him when he happened to see him play like it. Still...it was one way to test his rusty skills against the female, who seemed to be on a decent level of skill.

The white wolf moved to sit on the other side of the board, making sure the fox moved before settling in the spot. He once again rested his head in his hand and looked to the female rather patiently. "You set up, I don't think I remember the placings." in fact he barely remembered the square names, or most of the strategic moves that his father had tried to drill into his brain. Chess had just been a pass time for him, when he wasn't napping or reading. He gave a yawn as he thought about that...and wondered again where his family might be...surely they survived the cave in...he was sure he had seen them running before getting separated. He pushed the thought aside and looked to the board as he waited for her to set it back up.

278 words
heya

POSTED: Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:41 am

Avinalora
"She didn't choose this role But she'll play it and make it sincere"

Avinalora nodded as Derek accepted the challenge. It was nice to have some diversity in opponents as they had been playing against each other for way too long. Playing against someone over and over again made their moves predictable and she liked an unpredictable game where the medic didn't know her opponent's moves. But in reality, every single game was just a variation of the same theme. And aggressive opening, patient-mid game which always leaves to the inevitable checkmate.

The silver jackal nodded and then Spencer leaped off the log and sat on a rock nearby. Then, the white wolf came and sat down on the other side. He told her that he didn't remember the placings and she shrugged before moving all the chess pieces back into place. She was on the dark side and he was on the light side. It didn't bother her since she was normally the one to set up for games. Once she was done, the Midnighter looked at the male as the light side always went first.

The moon-washed maiden observed the man, trying to figure him out. She didn't know of his skill at the game but she knew that people tended to surprise her. This was no different as he could be a chess master, a novice, or a beginner. His level would be revealed in the game.

Sorry for the late reply! Also, that whole part about chess being a "variation of the exact same theme" and about the stages is from Criminal Minds.
Word Count

Silverfrost
Luperci
I walk through the fire

POSTED: Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:06 pm

Derek almost chuckled, forgetting that on this side that he would not be going second. Oh well, he could still make his original plan work somehow. He looked to the pawns up front, and finally picked the second to his right, moving it one space ahead. Not a very interesting move in general, but he didn't feel confident enough to start off with anything too major. After letting the piece go, he looked up to the female, wondering how she would play against that move. The white wolf made no other motion, and no indication that he was in a hurry.

The female across from him could take all the time that she wanted. Derek did not mind if their game took a long time, or a short time. It was just nice to play after so long. His blue eyes started to wander a bit, going up to the leaves above. It was a nice day outside. He was sure he had already thought that at some point, but the fact hadn't changed much. The optime male knew fall was soon approaching, but for now he would enjoy the warmth for the little bit that it lasted until then.

202 words
heya

Dead Topics