I only think in the form of crunching numbers

Virue!

POSTED: Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:42 pm

Avinalora

A small figure padded through the dark foliage. The creature was silver-hued and would have been mistaken for a small fox but the dark saddle on her back, over-sized ears, and short fur said otherwise. Her gait was three-legged with her left hind leg held off the ground. She was dressed in a small cloak, one modified for a Lupus-shift. It was almost the same shade as her pelt and lined with fur. It reached to her bushy tail and a hood was partially pulled over her face. Mismatched green eyes darted around and her ears caught every sound.

For once, Avinalora journeyed away from Colchester and Drifter Bay. She had heard of how some herbs could be sheltered in forests and escape winter. The Dampwoods seemed like a place that could foster those conditions. The healer headed out in her four-legged form. It was fast, low to the ground, and small which was perfect for finding herbs. The vixen's powerful nose guided her through the undergrowth as she searched for any useful plant.

The she-jackal's cloak had become somewhat of a problem. She had to wear it because of her short fur but she might rip it while going through the leafless branches. The garment also stood out in the dark covering which wasn't very helpful because it would draw someone's attention. These were one of the days that the silver maiden wished she could turn invisible.

And then she picked up a familiar aroma. She was nearly blind and relied heavily on scent and sound to warn her of threats. Her senses were very keen and it was almost impossible to surprise the ivory female. Also, it was easier to find herbs through scent and that was very valuable for the herbalist.

The monochrome fox tracked the smell and it got stronger with every step. She was always looking for herbs because she was always worried that they would have a medical emergency and be short on medicine. But the Midnighter had quite the stockpile of medicine. But after the tragedy in her early life, winter always made her anxious.

The pungent aroma of the plant was so close and the moon-washed medic had followed it to a thicket. She was able to weave through the branches and was face-to-face with her target.

Sorry that it took so long to post this. I also posted this via phone so there might be errors
Word Count:
Your appearance doesn't say what you can or can't do
You can do anything you put your mind to

Silverfrost
Luperci
Somebody make me feel alive
The queen of a wretched design
I walk through the fire

POSTED: Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:42 pm

• Word Count: [300+]
  • Date: 11/05
  • Time: Night
  • Form: Lupus
Hey, no problem. Wasn't a long wait. You intended it to be night-time right?

He found himself wandering quite a bit more than usual. Virue's usual muses seemed to have lost their lustre -- even his beloved sprints. What he needed was change, but what kind? The scout meandered through the air of the woods, peeking at the trees as if they would speak or give him consummation. The world was speechless, however, it's lids drawn tightly, shutting out the light. Virue's mind lit the dark however, and he didn't mind the quiet. It was peaceful. The world had always been immeasurably beautiful to him, despite awful things that happen. The attack he'd weathered earlier was an example of how ugly the world could be, and this very walk was an example of how obstinate Virue could be in the wake of tragedy. He was strong enough to handle himself and be on his own mentally, though physically, he wasn't quite there.

Then he saw it. Something white and small amongst the trees and brush, where all of such things seemed to become more dense. He looked about, and over his shoulder as if there could be more than one, but there wasn't. Just him and the trees.

With some thought, he changed his stature, hunkering low so as not to be seen. Quietly, he crept through the branches and trunks, which were tightly condensed. Upon emergence, his eyes came upon a small jackal of white, wearing a silver cloak. She was transfixed on something on the ground. The tawny hybrid stood up; Virue didn't feel as threatened, as she didn't seem all that threatening. Without a word, he approached and looking down, he let himself examine what it is she was looking at -- a plant. “W-why are we looking at this plant?” He said this quietly, and there was an uncanny humour in light of the whole situation.

Kitty & Aso | Simon | MercuryCode | Table by Sammiie ♥ | Avatar by Mini

Last edited by Virue on Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gotta gotta be down because I want it all

Daniel
Luperci
light and match
TWO GULPS

POSTED: Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:51 am

Lyrics here

Avinalora heard someone behind her. She mentally cursed herself for going out a night. She didn't need the light to find herbs but many creatures hunted in the dark. The she-jackal scented the air, gathering information about the creature. It was a male coyote, non-Luperci an from Inferni. She remembered the leader of Inferni, warning them to stay away from the borders. The last time she checked, she didn't see and wolf skulls on a stick so that meant that this coyote was warning the vixen to stay away from the borders. How hard was it to accidentally cross over a border marked with lupine skeletons? She wasn't that blind and knew what the coyote-dominated pack smelled like so she had no problem keeping away from their borders.

And then the stranger asked "Why are we looking at this plant?". The medic turned around, backing into the thicket so that if things turned hostile, she had a bit of a head start. The male was probably small in coyote terms but he was much taller than her. His fur was tan and highlighted with light browns and spotted with dark brown markings. He had a white blaze down his face and his underbelly was white along with his underbelly and paws. The healer's heterochromia-afflicted eyes met his bright blue. He had no markings of a fighter and the fox wasn't exactly afraid of him. Additionally, the coyote had asked a question concerning the herb she was talking about though he had no herb aroma clinging to him. He was simply curious and the ivory female didn't mind teaching him.

"Well it's winter and I managed to find a plant that can survive in the snow." The Midnighter replied. It was hard to find medical plants in the winter and she was lucky that she managed to find thyme, a plant used to calm people down and help shock. That was a valuable herb as shock was something that could happen to her pack mates, or there could be an event that required an herb to calm someone down.

"So why does a young Infernian like you want to know about hers?" The monochrome jackal asked in a curious tone.

Oh, night is fine!
Word Count
Avinalora

Silverfrost
Luperci
I walk through the fire

POSTED: Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:39 pm

• Word Count: [500+]
  • Date: 11/05
  • Time: Night
  • Form: Lupus
I guess daytime is overrated? Lol.

A fluffy, white-tipped tail swished behind him, and as soon as she seemed to withdraw, his tail stopped this giddy motion. Virue was disappointed. Evil was everywhere, and in everything -- even him, he believed. That didn't mean that he was a dangerous, or impulsively violent person. If his intentions had been of vile action, he wouldn’t have greeted her, or spoken so forthcoming. His striped head lifted from the flora to her snowy form. “You don't need to be a-afraid, I assure you that I won't cause any harm.” He claimed, his voice but an awkward hush. “Unless I murt- I mean - hurt myself...which happens more frequently than I would like to say.” With that he chuckled, a puff of condensed breath escaping him as his ears fluttered in his ineptitude.

The winter months were a graceful degradation of the world. It seemed to freeze your bones -- and simultaneously -- glint the eye with the wonder of silent elegance which came with the falling of snow. “Surviving is always good, I guess, even for plants.” He commented with dry sarcasm, his attention directed downwards. He considered the small rounded leaves which made up most of the herbs minimal presence. What use could such an inconspicuous thing have? The same question could be said for him. He knew very well that plant had a role to play, rooted in the dirt, because he had things to do as well. Things others probably wouldn't understand, but important things nonetheless.

“I think, it's because...I think.” It had made more sense in his head, than when he'd spoken the same words aloud. Hopefully, she understood. Virue had a restless, insatiable mind, one which constantly needed stimulation. Questions were an innate part of his existence, what was he if not a culmination of past knowledge? A shell maybe, carelessly floating on the breeze without thought or passion. He wouldn't become so ignorant. Everything he perceived would be questioned, turned over as if being meticulously seared, enveloped in open flame. Virue was interested in whatever he could see or hear, and enthralled by anything else.

“Um, nice to meet you I guess.” At this junction, he bowed his head with the oddest display of countenance, his fuzzy head and ears teetering along with the action. “Name's Virue, friends call me - well - no one calls me Vir really…” He dawdled afterwards. With a smooth flick of his tail he glanced from the jackal, to the herb, and back. “So...what's it for?” Then, he dipped his face low to see the greenery close up, wholly aware of the action any normal canine would be taking at that particular moment. Most would sniff, and feel the scented air enter as they discerned it's distinct sensory pattern. They would smell it. His nose remained stagnant, however, undisturbed -- it had been laid to rest the moment it had seen the light of day. His ears pricked, a bout of curiosity sweeping across his expression. “What's it smell like?” A simple question, which held a certain kind of enigmatic answer for the swift scout.

Kitty & Aso | Simon | MercuryCode | Table by Sammiie ♥ | Avatar by Mini

Daniel
Luperci
light and match
TWO GULPS

POSTED: Sun Nov 13, 2016 4:12 pm

"Lyrics Here"
Form| Time | Locatiom
Sorry for the wait!
WORD COUNT

Avinalora saw the coyote's mood dampen in response to her moving into the thicket. She had backed into the thicket to maintain distance between her and him. She wasn't afraid of him; he wasn't a fighter by the looks of him and she was in Lupus which meant that she was quick and could run. But he then added how he was more harmful to himself than her. A smile pulled at the edges of the vixen's lips and then she responded. "I'm not afraid, I cant tell you're not a fighter." She responded.

And then the Inferni boy made a sarcastic comment in response to the plant's survival. It was good that he had gotten more confident since she liked sarcasm. The healer wasn't the biggest fan of scared y-cat, arrogant or ignorant people. But this guy was okay on her list. And he wanted to learn which made it better. Luna was her only student and the girl could already identify most herbs. But she didn't mind teaching others a thing or two about herbalism.

"Well I guess that's a plausible explanation." The Midnighter said with a flick of her fox-like tail. The non-Luperci was somewhat weird but she could deal with weird. Crazy was also something she could deal with to some degree but outright fascism was a bit harder. The boy wanted to learn and that was fine with her. She didn't know if Inferni had a healer and the jackal medic could tell that the kid wasn't a herbalist since he carried no scent of herbs.

"I'm Avinalora, healer of Midnight Shores." The silver hybrid responded in response to Virue's introduction. His name wasn't a normal name which was a lot like her name. She didn't know where he was from but that name was nice.

And then the coyote asked what the herb was for. "It's Coltsfoot, one used to treat fevers and colds." The moon-washed maiden said. And then Virue asked the most baffling question. "What did it smell like?

Avinalora
Image courtesy of Manuel Romaris@Flickr; table by the Mentors!

Silverfrost
Luperci
I walk through the fire

POSTED: Sun Nov 13, 2016 6:54 pm

OOC:

You're fine!

[300+]

IC:

She could tell. Virue didn't know if he was supposed to smile at the fact that he looked harmless, or be afraid. Maybe that was a large factor in the attack that had occurred a few nights ago. Virue was easy-pickings—vulnerable. Was that it? The boy decided on a good-spirited smile in spite; it was better to be harmless than harmful.

Virue laughed. “Yeah, I guess it is.” He was glad that his awkward comment had been understood to some degree. The small hybrid was extremely active with his mind, and he'd been living that way for his entire life. Yet, he still couldn't find ways to put what was in his head into intelligent words. Virue thought about the wildest things, but he could never communicate such things. Virue was a bit of a hidden gem that way, his father never cared to look that far.

The small jackal introduced herself, and he nodded in response before saying “I'm a scout” like they were swapping their respective jobs. Virue's attention was then steered down to the plant yet again, but this time his eyes burned into the leaves and small yellow flowers which rose away from the earth. “Coltsfoot, coltsfoot.” Virue repeated, almost entranced by the herb. He wanted to memorize it all—the plant's appearance and it's name. He might not ever need it, but that didn't stop him from wanting to know.

Virue knew it was nearly impossible to describe the smell of something, but he was so desperate. He felt that it was worth a try. “The reason I ask, is because I have no idea...what it smells like I mean.” He studied the vibrant yellow of the plant for a moment. “It really is a beautiful plant, though huh? I've always really liked yellow…something about it's brightness.”

Daniel
Luperci
light and match
TWO GULPS

POSTED: Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:22 pm

Avinalora
"The best things come in small packages"
Lupus | Dampwoods | Night
Sorry for the slow!
WORD COUNT

Avinalora wasn't exactly sure what a scout did. She knew that scout meant "to search around", but what did Virue do as a scout? Maybe Midnight Shores had a scout rank? She had more skills than just being a doctor. She had a good memory and keen senses which could be useful. The jackal medic had helped her colleague, Skana find herbs with her nose and that could be applied to many other fields. She wanted to be more useful, do more than just find herbs and heal. Perhaps she could do something else to contribute to her pack?

The Midnighter heard the coyote repeating the name of the herb she had found. It was good that he was remembering it since he had wanted to learn about it. It would be useful knowledge for someone like him. But then the bombshell was dropped as the vixen had connected dots. The kid thought she was afraid of him because she had backed into the thicket despite no fear-scent. And then he asked what coltsfoot smelled like despite the plant being in front of him; he had no idea what it smelled like. The Infernian scout couldn't smell.

"How can a scout have no sense of smell?" The moon-washed maiden asked the boy. She wanted to learn more about his duty and that seemed like the best question for the monochrome fox to ask. She couldn't imagine life without scent, it was important to her because she could learn a lot about people from just their scent. What pack they hailed from, their job, and much more. But the coyote seemed to have eyesight and hearing which could cover it. But the healer could detect someone even if they tried to be quiet. Did his other senses strengthen to make up for it like her senses did?

Template by Andi

Silverfrost
Luperci
I walk through the fire

POSTED: Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:22 am

Virue
Know me by name, shepherd of fire
Lupus | Night | Dampwoods
It's okay you're allowed to be slow because I'm slow. Lol. I really like this thread though, interesting character combination here.
WORD COUNT
500+

Virue shuddered at the thought that he was less useful if he lacked a sense of smell. It couldn't be true...could it? A comment such as this was harmless enough for someone of self-resilience; for Virue, it tugged on his self-worth. He tried to retain his confidence. “Sometimes those that are handicapped step it up, I guess, sometimes even more so than those that aren't.” Virue himself believed this to be true, although he sounded unsure. Virue distinctly remembered a conversation with Jehan about his missing arm, and the fact that he would pick Jehan over anyone else to cover his back; for the same reasoning that Virue had just given to Avinalora.

The boy's vision was phenomenal, a product of natural compensation for his daft smell. This went for his hearing as well. It didn't occur to him to mention either of these things, partially because he didn't know his other senses were above average, and also because he didn't feel it was as important as the power of one's will. The deciding factor—he believed—in any outcome of a life. There were those who rose to the challenge—even if it was impossible—and then there were those who sank. He rose every morning knowing he was small, that he couldn't smell, and that he didn't have hands. But he rose anyway, to challenges, to life—to possibility. This was his belief.

Nonetheless, he had very sensitive eyes and ears. There were certain things that he could hear and see however, that he didn't want to. Unfortunately, even with sub-par senses, the inherent grime of the world was always there. Always spitting it's violence and hatred to the ones who would take up such plights. Virue smiled warmly at the delicate plant, resting obstinately before him. To him, it was the only proof that the world was still beautiful, as it hung in his eyes. The small coyote shivered at a sudden breeze, before shaking down the unfurled locks which rolled along his back. Then, the boy frowned as he looked up and towards the trees, his wild eyes distant. “You know...my dad, he - uh, didn't think I would survive long. Without, y’know, smell. But here I am.” He had the sudden urge to laugh, not out of spite, but out of sudden joy for living as long as he had.

Without a moment's notice, he surrendered himself to his own eruption of emotion. A powerful chuckle came from the scout, proving that he truly was a happy individual. He loved his mother, he even loved his father—but he loved his life even more. That’s what was important. Virue wasn't frowning anymore, maybe it was due to the fact that he'd turned away from the trees, and back to the silver jackal. “Yep, I'm here.” He nodded, as if in confirmation. Although...maybe he wasn't there; Virue was there, and somehow his father had been over by the trees—but he wouldn't tell Avinalora that. After all, he didn't want to seem crazy.

Template by Andi, Avatar by Mini (sort of xD)

Last edited by Virue on Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Daniel
Luperci
light and match
TWO GULPS

POSTED: Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:44 am

Avinalora
"Nothing revives the past so completely as a smell that was once associated with it."
Form| Time | Locatiom
Fastest time I've ever replied
WORD COUNT

"I apologize, Virue." Avinalora said as she just remembered what she had said. She, too was handicapped just as much as the young scout. She had barely any sight and she only had three legs. She knew that she could never be a warrior or hunter with her delicate frame and lack of sight. But many relied heavily on sight which was what the boy had. The vixen didn't know much about scouting but one could do it without a sense of smell, and if she was an example; in the absence or weakening of one sense, the other senses would compensate for the loss.

"Who am I to talk about handicaps, I'm nearly blind." The jackal medic said with a shrug. She could relate to the Infernian whose parents had doubted his survival. That was the reason, or the one that she believed that caused her biological parents to abandon her. They doubted a tiny pup with a defected leg, weird coloration, and imperfect eyes would survive. But the she-jackal survived, and continued to keep on living. She wouldn't die unless it was on her terms, and would stare Death himself in the eye when he came for her.

"I've learned that when the body is defected, something changes to make up for it." The monochrome fox added. Her eyes were next to useless but she had a very keen sense of smell and hearing. She could sense another person's presence before she could even make out the blob that would be that entity's. The silver maiden could gain more information from one's scent than seeing them with her eyes.

Template by Andi

Silverfrost
Luperci
I walk through the fire

POSTED: Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:18 pm

OOC:

That was fast, too bad I was super slow. Lol.

[300+]

IC:

The boy nodded curtly. “I know.” He simply replied, a certain cheeriness present in his voice which made it clear that the apology was accepted, yet unneeded all the same.

Virue loved that he could see, and couldn't imagine living without his vision. He could be both deaf and nose-blind, as long as he could see the world, and the colours it entailed. This made him wonder if Avinalora could smell colours, or maybe shapes. Although it didn't seem likely based on what others had told him about the utilities of smell. It just didn't make sense.

“Mmmm.” He hummed in disagreement. “I'm not handicapped, I don't like that word. Handicapped. Challenged is more like.” Virue nodded at this, agreeing with his own word choice. Their abilities had been limited, sure, but Virue liked to think that this only challenged them to be better.

He fell silent at this last comment, looking at the yellow flower with gifted eyes. Their bodies had changed to help them succeed...they had been bettered after all—just not in the way he expected. Something made him believe that he wasn't defective, not him, not Avinalora. The twisted rules that everyone seemed to follow demanded their completeness, their perfection. Virue rejected this expectation, and he disliked the pity that he received for his disability, not because he was angry, but because he knew he was above the charade. “I don't know if that's true, but it sounds amazing.” Another magical occurrence of nature.

“So, this flower...you should pick it, use it to help someone. It's got a purpose.” It was a graceful sight, and it held meaning. It was as blissful an entity as any.

Daniel
Luperci
light and match
TWO GULPS

Dead Topics