Don't let the doctor in, I wanna go home

Thyri!

POSTED: Sat Nov 26, 2016 12:37 pm

Avinalora
If you knew, knew what the bluebirds sing at you, You would never sing along

A small silver shape stepped through the forests of the Dampwood. Her small paws barely crunched the dead pine needles as she walked, being smaller than most Luperci. With her oversized ears and large, bushy tail, she would have been mistaken for a fox. But the small silver cloak, one that was hooded and fur-lined to protect her short fur, the fur that showed her desert origins. She also bore a sign of higher intelligence, a small satchel, one so miniature it could fit her body. Her nose was close to the ground, her eyes nearly useless and wouldn't be needed for what she wanted to find.

Avinalora was a wanderer. No matter what, she couldn't stay in one place for long. She knew that the upcoming winter had basically killed off a good amount of herbs but she hoped that at least maybe a few were left. Her nose was a powerful tool to find herbs and perhaps she could find herbs sheltered in the Dampwoods. The vixen had found coltsfoot last time, and a non-Luperci, Infernian scout with no sense of smell. A lot could be found here, people and plants. As long as she stayed away from the borders of the coyote clan, which would be easy because of the wolf skulls on stakes, she would be fine.

The jackal medic had learned that some herbs could be found sheltered from the snow. Under thickets and wild brambles, these live-giving plants could be growing. And she could find mosses here, too. Club moss would be a good finding since it the plant was good for wounds. And she remembered that birch bark could be used for wounds as well, so if all went bad she would still have something to use if there was a battle or some other catastrophe.

And then the monochrome jackal sensed another presence.

HI
Word Count: 311

Silverfrost
Luperci
Somebody make me feel alive
The queen of a wretched design
I walk through the fire

POSTED: Sun Nov 27, 2016 2:52 am

Sunlight speckled her coat as she padded along, its golden rays brushing her coat in ever-changing splats and splotches. With fall nearing its end, the days were growing tired much earlier than before and night seemed only too willing to take advantage of it. Though the warmth of the sun ruled the sky now, the pale woman knew only too well how quickly it would fall and give in to the frigid light of the moon. She was a child born of Autumn and raised in the chill of Winter; Thyri Dawnbringer believed she knew all the tricks and treachery of this mystical white season.

Snow crunching with every footfall, the blonde wolf walked ever onward. She snuffled the sparkling snow, flakes of crystal tickling her nostrils as they melted instantaneously. The turkeys had passed by here. She lifted her head, eyes focused and ears perked. Pausing, Thyri sucked in the frozen air with short bursts of inspiration before exhaling it all in a large cloud of breath. She sat. Sure, they had passed by here, but this scent trail was weaker than the one she had previously been following. When had she started following an older trail? She snuffled the air again and cursed.

How had this happened?

Rising to her feet again, Thyri scented the icy earth for the trail of the turkeys and lifted her head again when a distantly familiar aroma tickled her nose. Quickly, the woman followed the scent rail, her trajectory slowing as the Luperci's perfume strengthened.

And then there she was: a quadrupedal woman of ivory with flecks of silver licking her pelt. She studied the smaller canine a moment, as though annoyed, before giving her tail a flick and approaching slowly. "Hello," she said, thinking about how irritated she was at Merlin and trying not to let it affect her introduction to this new woman. "Are you hunting?"

OOC: Thank you for starting, love! Thyri is in Lupus form. :)

[WC — 318]

New Caledonia
Commoner
Mandi
Mate to Merlin Ægishjálmr: Helm of Awe
S K J A L D M Æ R
trouble is a friend
holy branches

POSTED: Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:04 pm

Smaller means faster

Avinalora sensed another presence here in these woods. Before she reacted, the vixen scented the air, trying to figure out who she would be meeting. The presence was feminine and she smelled a wolf. The pack scent that the man,  Addler carried was also in her aroma but a weaker pack scent was weaved in, a pack scent that the jackal medic did not know of. But then she scented a slight trace of herbs in the woman's scent. A fellow healer, perhaps?

And then the she-wolf greeted her. At this point, the she-jackal turned around. A solid and sturdy female with cream-blonde fur and jade eyes. She was more than twice her height and the vixen had to tilt her head up to meet the moss-hued irises. But the petite Luperci was used to having to crane her neck up to meet most people in the eye. She noticed that the stranger wore a peculiar pendant, one that looked as if it was masterfully carved.

The monochrome fox was surprised by the woman's question. Her hunting abilities were almost non-existent except for the stalking abilities that had caught only a few mice. But she replied anyways. "If herbs count as prey, then I'm definitely hunting." The silver maiden replied.

Made a slight assumption that Thyri smelled like herbs
Word Count
Avinalora

Silverfrost
Luperci
I walk through the fire

POSTED: Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:35 pm

The silvery woman was small — perhaps the smallest canine that Thyri had ever seen except, perhaps, for Leaf. Though the former Araedi Ríkr hadn't had many interactions with him, the todd was well-known in Vinátta as Palaydrian's adopted son. Allowing her thoughts to wander a moment, she wondered if he and his mate had made a grandmother out of Drin yet and how daily live was going with everyone else in her birth pack.

With a swift blink, Thyri pulled herself out of her reverie and sniffed cautiously at the minuscule canine. Mixed with the familiar scent of Midnight Shores was something else — something heartening and reassuring. It was an assortment of the earthy, if oftentimes bold and sometimes a little sharp, aroma of herbs and plants. The woman's response confirmed Thyri's suspicion.

"Are you an apothecary?" Thyri asked, lowering her rump in a sit. She tilted her head inquisitively. "I was one in my previous pack, so I'm familiar with some of the herbs you smell of," she explained with a small smile.

OOC: That's okay - she probably would. c:

[WC — 182]

New Caledonia
Commoner
Mandi
S K J A L D M Æ R
trouble is a friend
holy branches

POSTED: Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:30 pm

Avinalora didn't recognize the word that the woman called her. What was an "apothecary"? Was it like a healer? She had never been called that before and it confused her. She wasn't familiar with the word and she had never read it in a book. Her mother was know as a doctor or a healer, but no one had ever called the coyote an "apothecary". The vixen did stink of herbs, did an apothecary smell like herbs? The medic guessed from the context that an apothecary had to do something with medicine.

And then the wolf said that she used to be one. The medic guessed that apothecary was another word for a medic or healer. She would look to see if the library had any books that would tell her the meaning. So the woman dealt with herbs. She liked to meet fellow healers and learn from them. The jackal was well trained in the herbal side but lacked in the others. She could heal wounds but didn't know how to do stitches. She could splint broken bones but she didn't know how to treat dislocated limbs or how to put a bone back into place. Her mother's guide was the only thing she went by, as it had many herbs and had a section on illnesses.

"My name is Avinalora, Cygnus of Midnight Shores." The monochrome fox said with a small smile.

Word Count ➤ 243

Sorry for the wait!

Jean-Sébastien Guénette | JadedReality & 8Moments | Table by Sammiie

Silverfrost
Luperci
I walk through the fire

POSTED: Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:20 pm

Thyri considered the small woman quietly for a moment, her face stoic but for that small smile still quirking her lips. Finally, she blinked and shook snow and debris from her thick neck. "I thought so," she admitted, swiveling one stunted ear. She appeared more relaxed than she had before, as though having overcome some unseen hurdle. "I can smell your pack on you, along with those herbs." Thanks to Merlin, the Dawnbringer was familiar with the distinct aroma of Midnight Shores but she didn't offer any explanation to the monochrome hybrid.

"Thyri Dawnbringer, Bracchiante Prima in Casa di Cavalieri," she offered instead, her smile brightening. "Our packs are allied." She hoped that this simple explanation would quell any questions the girl might have with regards to her knowledge about Midnight Shores.

The turkeys long forgotten, Thyri considered her new acquaintance again before continuing their conversation. "So, you're searching for herbs?" she asked. "There aren't many useful ones that grow this time of year. Is there something in particular that you're looking for?"

[WC — 177]

New Caledonia
Commoner
Mandi
S K J A L D M Æ R
trouble is a friend
holy branches

POSTED: Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:36 pm

Avinalora
"The best things come in small packages"
Lupus | Dampwoods | Day
OOC
WORD COUNT

Avinalora noticed that the wolf seemed more relaxed once she knew where the vixen was from. The woman noted the smell of her pack. Not many automatically knew where she was from and it as comforting learning that the woman knew about Midnight Shores. Had she been a friend of a Midnighter?

And then the woman offered her name, Thyri Dawnbringer. It was a beautiful name and had a nice ring to it. The medic barely understood the two words "Bracchiante Prima" but she guessed that meant rank. And then she said that she was from Casa di Cavalieri. So the scent of metal and horses was Case di Cavalieri. The hybrid filed that away for further reference.

Thyri also added that the two packs were allies which was a good thing to know. The monochrome fox needed to become more aware of alliances since she often traveled beyond the pack boundaries. It was always good to know who were allies and who were enemies. But even if she was faced by a pack member whose pack had a feud with Midnight Shores, she wouldn't attack them on sight.

The Dawnbringer woman asked why she was out here looking for herbs. Then, the moon-washed maiden replied. "Last time I was in the Dampwoods, I found coltsfoot in a thicket. I hope that I can find more herbs." She hoped that the forest would bear more herbs since it was winter and she would need all the herbs she could get. "But I'm also on the look out for any trees with medicinal properties." She added

Template by Andi

Silverfrost
Luperci
I walk through the fire

POSTED: Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:12 pm

"Coltsfoot?" Thyri asked, tilting her head to the side. She knew cloudberry and calamus and coneflower, but coltsfoot? No, that one was new. Her interest immediately peaked, the pale Dawnbringer woman inched towards Avinalora, scooting only a mere centimeters on her rump. She peered down at the hybrid curiously. "I haven't heard of coltsfoot before. What is it used for?" she asked, the blunted tips of her ears pressed forwards with interest.

But of the woman's hope to find more herbs this time of year, Thyri could only shrug. "You aren't going to find much," she replied honestly. Even finding cranberries — one of the few useful plants Thyri knew that had a late-season harvest — would be tricky this time of year. The lands in this territory were just too cold and snowy this time of year to sustain most plants through the winter months.

Trees, though. Trees were different. "I'm sure you could find some willows and pine trees around here," she said. "I haven't used them myself for anything, but I've heard that willow trees can help relieve pain and pine resin can treat wounds." She thought a moment about Finch and Morty and felt a wave of gratitude overcome her for the people who had helped her get to where she was today. "Here, I can show you where there's a willow not far from here," she offered, rising to her feet and offering the woman a slow wag of her tail.

If Avinalora agreed, Thyri would be glad to lead her to the willow and help her to collect what she needed. After all, she was curious what else the little Luperci knew that she may not know.

[WC — 289]

New Caledonia
Commoner
Mandi
S K J A L D M Æ R
trouble is a friend
holy branches

POSTED: Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:52 pm

Avinalora was surprised that Thyri didn't know what coltsfoot was. The female did seem older than her and to her, age meant wisdom. Coltsfoot was a common plant, and a useful one. It was used to ease breathing which was important when someone had a breathing issue. She had used the herb once as her mother's assistant when a woman had a chest cold. The vixen's adopted mother had also used it to soothe someone's cracked pads. The jackal mutt looked up at the Cavalier and replied "Coltsfoot is good to ease breathing and has been used to soothe cracked pads." She remembered when she had met Skana and both had learned a lot about herbs from each other.

The Dawnbringer then said that the Midnighter wasn't going to find much but if she was anything, she was determined. She already figured that the plants would have already died off in the cold. But she did know that deer dug for moss and clubmoss was a moss and a valuable herb that treated wounds. Moss was also useful for stopping bleeding. And people did get injured in the winter. Moss would be useful if someone somehow got impaled on an icicle or got into a disagreement with a weasel. The petite fox had been attacked by a weasel while with her adopted mother and Adri had to chase it off. Winter was a dangerous time indeed.

The she-wolf commented that she might find willows or pine trees here. That confused her since she didn't know that pine trees had medicinal properties. The woman said that willow was said to relieve pain, which was already known to the Cygnus. But she didn't know that pine resin was used to treat wounds. That was good to know since the moon-washed medic had no idea that pine was an herb. Perhaps the needles were also good for something more than bedding? She was eager to learn what else the white wolf knew.

The monochrome fox nodded as the woman offered to show her a willow tree. Her bushy tail was also wagging as she was excited to learn more. The silver girl had a thirst for knowledge and was eager to learn of new herbs. It was something that drove her. Learning was her motivator, her drive.

The two Luperci started walking. The silver maiden telling the apothecary about other uses for willow.

Word Count ➤ 400

Minor power-play. PM me if anything needs to be edited!

Jean-Sébastien Guénette | JadedReality & 8Moments | Table by Sammiie

Silverfrost
Luperci
I walk through the fire

Dead Topics