[M] Do you got room for one more trouble soul?

Elva!

POSTED: Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:29 pm

WARNING: This thread contains material exceeding the general board rating of PG-13. It may contain very strong language, drug usage, graphic violence, or graphic sexual content. Reader discretion is advised.

Edge of the valley | Optime | April 10th
Word Count → 814 (Super long ramble, sorry)

A small figure walked through the trees. The shape was tiny and was very fragile-looking. She didn't seem to have any extra muscle or fat on her. She had a lean build and long legs. She seemed like she was built for speed but she walked at a slow pace. She had a long foxlike tail that was lashing around like an angry cat. Her face was narrow, but her muzzle didn't taper. She had a pair of long ears that seemed to dominate her head.

Her fur was painfully short, adapted for the desert, not the colds of Nova Scotia. Her fur was as silver as moonlight on snow. The fur color was abnormal on a jackal, but the few drops of wolf blood gave her the hue. A grey saddle ran from her ears to her tail, an attribute from her mixed jackal breeding. The saddle ended in a white tip and black hairs were scattered through the cape.

She wore clothing due to her fur not being able to protect her at all. A grey long-sleeved shirt was worn under a green anorak. Both garments seemed to be adapted to her size, but the bottoms of the garments hung past her hips. A pair of jeans was also worn and was also modified for Luperci use. A grey and white scarf was wrapped around her neck and a pendant in the shape of a crescent moon was worn on her neck. A leather satchel was carried over her shoulder.

Her right eye was a dark green. Her left side had no eye to speak of. Instead, a cloth bandage was wrapped around the left side of her face and her hair was pushed away from the area. Her single eye held a sullen look that seemed to analyze the situation despite not being to see barely any details at all. The bandages hid a vicious wounds, four scars were scratched over her eye and the eye socket lay empty.

There was no way Avinalora was going to stay in Anatheman territory for several moons. No way in hell. However, she respected Adrian's wishes partially and stayed close to the territory. She just needed to find alder bark or willow bark for her pain. And maybe some other medicinal trees. The vixen needed a lot of herbs now that she had been injured.

Willow and alder bark were painkillers for the fox maiden. She needed them to stop her face from aching. But even then, she was uncomfortable. The bandage itched and the medic felt like scratching it. But she knew that it would do her no good and might make her wound worse. She lashed her tail, trying to alleviate the discomfort somehow or at least take her mind off of it. With a slight sigh feeling the pain starting to make a come back, the Volac's hand went into the pocket of her jacket and pulled out a bottle with pieces of wood in it. She took out one and then put the bottle away before putting it in her mouth and chewing and swallowing it.

The winter wraith was still mad at herself for how she had handled the situation with Nyx. Common sense would have told her to call out to a patient before she neared them instead of going over to them and touching their shoulder. The healer's judgement had lapsed and she followed her instincts instead of logic. She had let her guard down and there was no one to blame but herself. The desert fox had failed and she got what she got.

The silver lady walked slowly and held her left arm out slightly. She couldn't let anything hit the bandage and she was walking through a forest with branches (at least there was a lesser chance of the pixie getting hit by a branch with her short stature). Before the incident, her left eye was next to useless. It could see movement, but she often had her eye pulling her other eye with her when she was doing something else. She was used to having almost no sight in her left eye, so without it, she didn't think that she would have too much of a problem except how afraid she was of going to sleep. The waif didn't want to accidentally roll onto her left side in her sleep; so she didn't get much sleep in the first place.

The pain, fear, discomfort, and lack of sleep had led to the moon-washed medic becoming more sardonic. She didn't seem to trust patients that much and she seemed like a different person. A lot had changed in a few moons and she didn't know if she could handle so much change in such little time.

The monochrome fox began humming a small tune as she walked, scenting the air while feeling for branches.

Last edited by Avinalora Phoenix on Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Silverfrost
Luperci
Somebody make me feel alive
The queen of a wretched design
I walk through the fire

POSTED: Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:55 pm

Elva sat in the crux of two rather large roots, her back pressed against the hard bark. She pulled up her knees to her chest and wrapped her arms around them. Absentmindedly, her long fingers picked at her sleeves and ripped holes into the already tattered cloth. Elva had never held any respect for the clothing she wore. After all, it had never really been hers now had it? Nothing had been her's before, but now that she was free... Just what did that mean anyway?

Freedom was a word that she'd heard before but it was a word that had never held any meaning for her. Birds were free, they said. Something given without any repayment was free. Free was also used to indicate that you were without something. In example, Elva was free of lice and fleas. Based on these various definitions, this "free" seemed to be a good thing. But that didn't explain what it meant to be free, now did it?

"Why are you sitting here?" Elva glanced over at the black cat who had followed her from the merchant's caravan. She knew better than to respond. He didn't really want an answer anyway. "If you're just going to sit on your hind-end and do absolutely nothing, I'm going to get us some food. Useless girl." Grumbling, the crotchety old cat left Elva alone at the base of the tree. She didn't take offense at his words. He wasn't the first on to call her such names. He undoubtedly would not be the last.

Elva laid her jaws on her knees, staring off into the distance. Spring had come in full force, it seemed. Though the weather was still considered chilly, the world was swiftly turning green before her very eyes. In all of Elva's life, she'd only ever really seen spring once, and she still wasn't quite certain how she felt about it. So many bright colors, so many loud animals. It was all a little much for the girl, even now. So rather than go out and explore the newness of the land, Elva merely sat and watched. It was all she really new how to do.

It wasn't until the sound of humming hit her ears that she even flicked her ear. Dark red eyes glanced over at the small white figure that entered her vision, but still Elva didn't move. Instead, she felt her whole body tense up as she pressed herself into the wood, willing herself to become one with the tree. She did not call out to the woman who neared her, nor did she dare look into the face of the stranger. Instead, she kept her eyes firmly on the feet that approached.

Kris
Luperci Distracted from relevance

POSTED: Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:06 am

OOC Here
Word Count → 355

Avinalora was more vigilant now that she had become more vulnerable than usual. She didn't want to be caught off-guard so she paid attention to her surroundings, scenting the air and paying attention to the sounds around her. She smelled a new presence, but the feminine scent she detected pushed her forward towards the scent. She smelled a loner with the scent of books, soil, soap, and the faded scent of the sea clinging to her. The woman smelled like a hybrid, but the vixen caught a whiff of jackal on this girl. She continued walking until she saw a tan and fawn shape sitting at the bottom of a tree.

The shape was light-hued and she seemed to be skinny for someone of her size, even from this height she seemed tall, but looked underfed. The fox maiden couldn't pinpoint exactly what kind of features were jackal, but the flopped ear pointed to dog. She wore clothing, a top and a bottom. There also seemed to be a metal accessory on her neck, judging by the glint from the sunlight. The girl had scars and seemed tense in her presence. The girl didn't even seem to notice the jackal woman but seemed to be looking in her general direction. Was she blind?

"Hello, there." The winter wraith said, stopping not very far away from the stranger, but not too close. She offered the female a small smile. Was the hybrid afraid of her? Did she simply not notice the waif? She was more concerned about how skinny the girl seemed to be and how many scars she had. What happened to her? She briefly remembered the jackal girl she had met that seemed to have been abused as well.

"I'm Avinalora, a healer." The monochrome fox said, introducing herself quietly. She said that she was a healer because that normally got a response. Especially if this woman was sick and needed medical attention. The poor girl didn't seem like she would be able to support herself in her shape. Maybe the pale physician could convince the loner to come to Anathema to be healed.

Silverfrost
Luperci
I walk through the fire

POSTED: Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:04 pm

As Elva had expected she would, the girl grew nearer and nearer upon spotting her. Elva curled even tighter into herself, making her look as small as possible. She pulled her ears back and lowered her head, eyes downcast. As she had been trained to do, she was the image of humility and submission to a girl significantly smaller than her. A cursory glance up told her that the girl was now crippled to boot. But it didn't matter. Elva no longer knew any better. She didn't realize that if she wanted to overpower the stranger, she had the upper hand despite having not been trained.

Ignorant as she was to the nature of the world outside of slavery, Elva dared not look up at the smile Avinalora offered her. Instead, she pulled her arms from outside her legs to around her torso. One hand drifted up to the silver collar she'd worn for nearly as long as she could remember. She ran one finger along the inside of it, pulling it as far as it would go. Luckily for her, the chain was large enough that it fit her even after having shifted. Unfortunately though, it wasn't quite so large to fit over her skull nor did it have a clasp to remove it. It had been place on her as a child as a sign of her status.

She flicked a single ear up at the girl to receive her words. A greeting. Was she expected to return it? Was there something she should say in this situation? In her silence, the stranger offered a name. A name and title. A healer? Does she notice that I'm sick? Maybe she'll leave if she notices... Although, if she hadn't noticed by now, when would she? Elva was clearly not the picture of health. Though she'd never been very big, her bones didn't fit her figure. Her skin was stretched tight across their frame, hollows where muscle should have been.

"I am called Elva." Her voice was low and rather quiet, with no signs of the strong Swedish accent she'd once borne. With a low growl, a black creature bounded between the two canines and dropped a dead bird between them. Elva finally looked up at the black cat who'd adopted her as its own. It glared at her with yellow eyes. "Well are you gonna tell her or are you gonna leave the woman guessing?" He glanced up at the jackal woman before scoffing at Elva who had remained silent. "I know better. You're not gonna say a word. Fine. This girl here's been sick for months. Can't keep food down. No appetite. No hunger. Just whittlin' away. I ain't a healer. I don't know what's wrong with-" "I am fine." Elva interrupted softly, lying through her teeth without hesitation.

Kris

POSTED: Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:48 pm

OOC Here
Word Count → 358

The girl seemed to become even more submissive as Avinalora came closer. She was much too small and crippled to be of any threat to her. She realized that innocent as her posture seemed, it might seem a bit dominant. The vixen lowered her ears a fraction and her tail stopped its swaying movement and hung limply, almost touching the ground. She noticed the girl pulling at a metal necklace of some sort around her neck. It looked pretty to her.

The stranger said that her name was Elva. She spoke quietly and the fox maiden wondered if she had a last name. She knew that some people had surnames and some people didn't. The woman didn't offer anything else other than her name. And then the waif's thoughts were interrupted as a black shape bounded over. She scented a cat and a dead bird. She had a respect for cats, as her friend Eclipse had helped her raise her wards. So, the jackal dipped her head towards the cat in greeting.

The feline gave Elva a look before proceeding to tell the winter wraith what was wrong with her. The girl had couldn't keep food down which wasn't good. She needed to eat or she would die of starvation. There were many things that could cause that symptom. She could have a sickness of some sort, though the medic didn't smell the normal sicknesses that she was familiar with. The hybrid could have some sort of stomach problem which was possible. And then there was either poison or pregnancy which the silver lady was unsure of. She needed more information, but the girl cut the cat off.

"I'm going to listen to the cat." The moon-washed medic said. There was something obviously wrong with the woman and at least the cat was being honest. She needed to ask questions to figure out what the girl had. It was the only way since vomiting could be a symptom of many things. The Volac hoped that the light-hued female would answer at least some of the questions.

"So, has she been sick? Ingested something bad?" The monochrome fox asked.

Silverfrost
Luperci
I walk through the fire

POSTED: Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:28 pm

Out of the corner of her eye, Elva could see the stranger's position relax into a calmer pose, but Elva didn't change hers. It had never mattered before how submissive another was in her presence, so why should it now? Of course, the cat came in. He always seemed to know just when to arrive and ruin things. Elva could have possible discouraged the woman from taking interest in her. If only it weren't for the damned cat. Sometimes, Elva wondered why she didn't punt the rotten thing. And then she remembered how difficult it was for her to hunt and that he took care of her when she couldn't take care of herself. She didn't necessarily care for him, but she didn't think she could kill him either.

Of course she was going to listen to the cat. They always listened to the cat instead of her. The small, illogical part of her brain refused to understand why people didn't believe her, but then she remembered what she looked like. Thin, scrawny, and half dead. There was no hiding the numerous scars that littered her skin or the way that her clothes hung off of her. There was no way to deny the words that the cat spoke, but she tried to anyway. It never worked.

The cat scoffed at her week attempt to dissuade the silver jackal from tending to her. "I'm glad someone here sees sense" he puffed up with pride. Elva wanted to kick him for it. One swift jerk of her leg and he'd be sent flying. But she didn't. "I dunno what she's gotten into though, she's been like this since she hit solid land. Though... that captain of yours..." He glanced over at her, sensing a touchy subject with the girl. "He did not feed me foul food. The captain would not stand for it on his ship." Her voice was matter of fact, though the cat recognized it as argumentative and fluffed up in indignation.

"I'm not sayin' he gave you food poisoning! If that was it, it'd be done by now!" He, not recognizing boundaries or social etiquette it seemed, kept going with his tirade. "I'm saying, that I heard what you was tellin' that mom earlier when them brats was runnin' 'round!" Elva's bloodred eyes widened and her breathing stopped. "Please, do not-" But he didn't. "I'm sayin' that you mentioned havin' bein' preggers a few months back, but I ain't seein' no pups and I ain't smellin'em either!"

Kris

POSTED: Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:36 am

OOC Here
Word Count → 320

Avinalora didn't know why Elva acted like she was fine. She was all skin and bones! And she didn't seem like she wanted help. Did she know that she could die from starvation? The girl also seemed very submissive and withdrawn. That made the vixen wonder about her past. Had she been abused? What happened to her to make her this way?

And then the cat brought up a captain and mentioned that the woman had been on a ship. The fox maiden wondered if she had caught a foreign illness, or had eaten spoiled food when the hybrid said that the captain didn't feed her foul food. The way she said that drew the healer's attention. She said "me" not "us" which sounded weird. She had been on a ship which meant a crew, but had said that the captain fed her which made the moonlit jackal suspicious.

And the cat ruled out food poisoning which was what the winter wraith would have done and the girl was very skinny which meant at least a week without food and food poisoning didn't last that long. The silver lady nodded slightly, agreeing with the cat. And then the cat mentioned that the loner had been pregnant and didn't have pups which piqued her attention and opened up a new set of possible afflictions the girl might have.

"Elva, what happened to the puppies?" The monochrome fox said in her most sincere tone. She needed to know what had happened to them in order to figure out why the woman was sick. It could save her life. "If we don't treat this, you could die." The pale physician added gently. She didn't want to freak the woman out, but she needed to make it urgent. The girl was young and she had a life ahead of her. And she couldn't let this woman died, she simply couldn't.

Silverfrost
Luperci
I walk through the fire

POSTED: Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:03 am

Elva froze in place as soon as the words escaped the cats lips. He hadn't been there though. She had tossed him away and he'd ran. Hadn't he? How had he known about them? She wasn't angry though. Elva didn't really feel anger anymore; it was all numb. Instead, she was flabbergasted by his knowledge and by his ever-running mouth. It was as if he didn't know what a secret was, let alone how to keep one.

Of course, of course, the doctor must ask questions. I wish she would stop asking me things. I do not know all their answers. I can learn, but only if she leaves. I do not have the answers. Her mind was scattered, gone. Her mouth opened to answer out of habit, but no sound came out. He told me I could not tell a part of her screamed. But he is not here the other part whispered maliciously in the background. In the time it took for this to dawn on her, the cat had grown impatient and slashed at her loose pant leg to jar her into speaking.

"Captain asked me if I wished to remain on the boat," she whimpered. Her hand pulled harder on the chain causing the links to click together and a sharp pain to blossom on the back of the neck. The pain gave her clarity and her eyes flickered rapidly back in forth. "I told him 'Yes, I do, sir'." Another pause, her arm tightening on her abdomen. Once, for a short while, it had held life. Now, it was barren as the desert. "He gave me a tea. He said 'Drink up, little elf. This one is all yours, but don't tell the rest of the crew. Don't want'em getting jealous, now do we?'" She quoted her captain verbatim, a skill she'd long possessed. "Oh no..." Even her steadfast old cat sobered up at the realization that dawned on him. "Blood..." she whispered, as if to herself. "There was so much blood."

Kris

POSTED: Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:29 am

Slight fourth wall break
Word Count → 458

Avinalora wished she could read minds or something. It would make this, and her life much easier. But, mind reading only happened in books. She wished that she was a character in a story with powers, but there was no chance of that. But the vixen's wonder and imagination had been washed away, only to be revived by books. But in the real world, she was no character in a story.

Elva seemed like she was going to open her mouth to speak, but no words came out. The fox maiden just hoped that maybe the girl was thinking about what she was going to say and not going to vomit. The healer was wearing her favorite jeans today and she did not needed vomit on them. The cat scratched at the lose pant leg and she briefly wondered if Adrian had any fabrics and fur left to make any garments for the poor girl.

The woman revealed her story and the winter wraith listened. As she spoke about this captain fellow, she pulled at her necklace and the jackal was a bit worried by that; she could be hurting herself. What was the story behind the chain that she wore? That was a question that popped up in her mind. But she didn't dare to ask it. Instead, the waif crouched down and kneeled near the girl, still maintaining a bit less than a foot of distance just in case.

The female had agreed to tea. And then the woman quoted what the man had said. The silver lady was confused by the nickname, but remained silent. The woman didn't seem like an elf to her. The part about keeping it a secret set off an alarm in her head. Why would someone try to keep tea a secret?

And then the bombshell had dropped. Blood in any story wasn't good at all. The pale physician didn't want to question further as the memory was probably traumatizing. Judging by the tea and blood, poison was the most likely culprit. But the girl had already been vomiting, so yarrow would do nothing to treat the poison. And then the Volac felt the pain coming back. She pulled the bottle out of her pocket and took two and then chewed and swallowed it.

"I don't think I could treat you here and now." The monochrome fox admitted. Whatever poisoned the loner wouldn't go away after a few doses. And the pixie might have to test the herbs since she didn't know what the poison was. And the girl was in no shape to survive on her own for long. "But you could come back with me to my pack, Anathema. You will be treated until you are well again."

Silverfrost
Luperci
I walk through the fire

POSTED: Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:05 pm

It wasn't as if she hadn't known. Elva wasn't so stupid as to believe that her illness had come on her own or that the "tea" she'd been given had nothing to do with it, she just didn't want to think of it as a poison. She didn't want to think of the possibility that she had killed the children that she could have had just because she didn't want to give up her good position on the ship. She didn't want to think about the innocent lives she had taken for fear of what she'd feel. Her fear was justified: she felt nothing.

There was the numbness of acceptance of a fact long denied, but other than that she was an empty shell. She didn't regret the chance she had taken or the toll on her body. She didn't regret that she wasn't a mother. Does this mean I am evil? Am I broken? She hadn't really been around many women in her life, but she knew what was expected of them. Women were supposed to be mothers and caretakers. They were supposed to have a maternal instinct. Elva did not. Did they take that from me?

The motion of Avinalora taking a drink brought Elva's attention back to the present. Treat me? It is a little too late for that. She was beyond fixing in her mind. She was already so twisted and mangled, what hope was there of returning her to a natural state? The cat nudged her with his head and she glanced down at him. "You'd best take her up on her offer, girl." Elva let out a small sigh. It seemed there would be no dissuading the woman or the cat anymore. Her fate was fixed. "If that is what you wish. I will return with you." Whether it be back to a life of servitude or to a newfound life of freedom, she didn't really care one way or the other. Life was life, and it would carry on with or without her consent.

Kris

Dead Topics