chasing a reflection

[Eclipse] [continued]

POSTED: Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:18 am

Continuation of this thread. Oct 13th, sunset, Ethereal Eclipse.

heyyy I made the table work! ;D

Word Count → 427

The tension was palpable in the cool air. Hati eyed her warily, but stood firm after introducing himself, hoping she would meet his civility with her own courtesy. She did not really have the air of a brute or a sadist, but it was only when she happily divulged her own name and home that he began to relax in earnest. "Cercatori, my brother got his horse there," Hati breathed, a cautious smile gracing his countenance. He was too much of a homebody to have dealt directly with any of the packs, but it did set him at ease knowing they had a positive reputation. Tall ears flicked forward, attentively listening to her speak.

A bright smile lit up her face as she spoke of her passion. Hati scuffed his paw against the ground, trying to override the pang of nostalgia her enthusiasm invoked. "Oh, you don't owe me anything, Mademoiselle Eclipse. Although cooking...! I would very much like to watch. My mother is -- was, the chef for our pack. She would cook hot meals for my family every night. I... may have taken it for granted, because I find myself unable to remember how to replicate any of it..." He tilted his head, wistful and with a distant look in his pale eyes. He had never asked for lessons, he had been too preoccupied with books and dreaming of horses; he only helped in the kitchen if she specifically asked for it. Cooking wasn't something he had any talent at, but it was suddenly important that he learn.

After a moment, Hati turned and padded back to the cache, carrying in his jaws the trophies of his day of hunting. He felt like he could trust this Cercatori member, knowing their packs shared such a bond. She would not hurt or betray him. "I've got two more squirrels for you, and a rabbit and a groundhog you can use instead of wasting yours; can you show me anything with these? I'll assist you with anything you ask." His plumed tail waved hopefully, as he studied her expression. He had planned on carrying his rations back home to practice in private, but this opportunity was much better, if she would accept him as her pupil just for tonight. Perhaps that was something he learned from Alder -- not to be embarrassed when he needed to ask for help. The sun was setting and soon darkness would be upon them; it made sense that a fire would be the first step, but Hati waited for her instruction.

Table by Cait!
Last edited by Hati Catori on Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hati Catori
He is always seen wearing his moon necklace.
Hati may be accompanied by his niece, Esper.
(Art by Raze, Signature by Sie.)
My avatar rotates; credit here.

Freiherr (NPC)
Miyu
Luperci Page Matchmaker: Romeo and Juliet Couple with Edgar!

POSTED: Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:49 am

WC: 426 OOC: Your avatar is just adorable!!

His words took her aback, she heard the place to go was AniWaya when it came to horses, but Cercatori had a good few good choices of their own. They were a trading pack after all, they traded just about everything but the clothes, or fur off their back. The thought of that just made her grin even more. Even if he didn’t know what she was thinking; “I hope it is a good horse for him.” She said. She was not one who knew much about them herself, though she was starting to learn, which was a start at least. She allowed him to talk and could see that he was disturbed by a thought, though it was not hard when he corrected himself about his mother's past tense. Eclipse’s heart went out to him and her ears folded back in sympathy but she did not address it any further. It seemed like a fresh wound that she did not want to infect. “I certainly can show you a thing or two. I have no problem with that!” She said, though she doubted her cooking would be much like his mothers. What she learned over the course of her life was that everyone had a different style of cooking, and the taste of the food all had a signature to the one that cooked it.

She watched as he brought out his own catch. She nodded, glad she didn’t have to just use her own. In her bag she pulled out her pouch of herbs. Then set a leather skin along the ground; “If you could get a fire started I’ll just skin these and then show you how I cut them up.” She said. She had a special way of getting the meat off the bones, so she got to work getting the animals out of their skins and innards though she worked in the open as it wasn’t hard for one to start up a fire, if he knew how, she was confident someone from the miracles pack would know. Her movements were deliberately slow as she cut from the anus up making sure not to go too deep. The skins could be used for anything, and trade was always good, but the man’s catch was his own, and she would let him save or throw away at his own will. Her own squirrel she would save and have it preserved for when she would get home for someone more experienced to work with it. That was the way she tended to work.

Shawchert
Luperci Mate to Robert

POSTED: Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:03 am

No avatar could be cuter than your Aly one! 8D

Word Count → 518

Their conversation helped him to relax around her. The bow and arrows were interesting, but he could not imagine her turning them on him, not now that she had proven to be so friendly and helpful. Perhaps it was naivety. "Yes, my brother has a good partner in that mare. As I understand it, she was a gift when he visited your pack in his youth." Not that their youth was so long gone -- it was just the weight of recent events made him feel so much older than he was. He fell silent after his request, feeling slightly foolish for asking her this personal a favor. He would be quick to apologize once she denied him, he assured himself. But Eclipse had other plans for the yearling wolfdog. She was bright with enthusiasm when she agreed to teach him, and Hati's cautious smile became genuine. "Thank you so much, I deeply appreciate it. If you ever need anything from Cour des Miracles, I owe you!" His tail waved as he listened to her instruction, nodding firmly in agreement.

It was time to shift upright, for he obviously needed the use of hands. Hati backed off several paces as Eclipse busied herself with her pouch and tools, slowly and deliberately skinning the small animals. He closed his eyes and took a deep breath, holding it as he concentrated on the shift. A black stripe blossomed down his spine as his back arched, forelegs tapering into arms, toes elongating into fingers. His knees sank into the soft soil as his legs shifted weight, plumed tail curling against the small of his back. The wavy hair of his mane unfurled over his eyes, signifying the last of the changes to his body. He exhaled slowly and rocked back on his heels, combing his fingers through his mane to sweep the hair back from his face, brushing just above his shoulders.

Then he stood, rising to his full height above Eclipse. There was no reason for him to be nervous now -- she was veritably petite in comparison. His subservient mannerisms did not change, however, and he padded swiftly to locate fuel for their fire. An armful of dry branches and leaves ought to do the trick, and he carefully arranged the jumble close by to her leather skin, where the Cercatori female was deftly gutting the carcasses he provided her. His nose twitched, catching the individual scents of the offal. He watched for a moment, fascinated by the confident way her fingers moved, but then stared back down at his stack of kindling. This was unfortunately as much as he knew, since he lived such a sheltered life. Books had told him he needed a spark, and he could either clash two rocks together, or rub two sticks in hopes the friction would ignite them. He picked up two of the dry twigs and began to clumsily rub them, feeling too embarrassed to mention his ignorance. He hoped he would not have to ask for more help already, not after the courage it had taken to request her lesson.

Table by Cait!
Hati Catori

Freiherr (NPC)
Miyu

POSTED: Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:05 am

WC: 420 OOC: bwahahhaha

She rose her brows in interest as Hati spoke of the horse being a gift. Sometimes that was true, though they were a pack of traders so him and his brother must be someone special to get something without having to trade for it. She said nothing about this, but kept it in the back of her mind as she just continued to listen to his thanks. “It is no problem. I will probably keep that in mind though. I am sure I can find something of equal value in the near future.” She said a kind smile on her face.

She made sure to keep her eyes on her work but was always fascinated by the changes each wolf made, some changed very little and others, like him, with the black stripe down his back, drastically. It was an amazing thing, and a gift from those before them... though she heard that was not intentional. She was not surprised by his height, not many were around her height, though Robert was shorter than many he was still a bit taller than her, but in Eclipse’s mind, perfect. She let her attention slide back onto the animal she skinned while he went to get the wood and kindling but was on him once he was back and had arranged things, which were where they were suppose to go, but it seemed he was having trouble. She tilted her head, so he didn’t keep flint around him?

She wiped off her knife and took out the flint from her bag. “Do you have a knife of your own, or a hard rock of sorts?” She asked as she moved toward him holding out the long flint, it was unremarkable except for the scratches of many uses. She learned about it from a text Robert had, before then she used those precious matches she found in Halifax when she was rather young. She put the bit of flint onto the pile of kindly and moved it to where it needed to go, “if you can be ready to put some air on the fire, that would be great” She said as she positioned her knife, the side that was not sharpened, on the flint and slid it down. It started, sparks flew around. Sadly none caught, but she didn’t expect it to catch the first time. SHe had to do it three more times before anything hit the kindling. She saw smoke and smiled in triumph.

Shawchert
Luperci Mate to Robert

POSTED: Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:08 am

Short ending post since I've been absent all month. ;P Thanks for the thread!

Word Count → 320

"Yes, anything you need, I'll make sure you can get it," he nodded seriously, wanting to repay her. He had a low opinion of loners, but other pack wolves required diplomacy and it was only fair she get something in return for helping him. Hati had been raised to value courtesy and honor alike, and it went against his nature to ask for a favor without promising to reciprocate. Not that he knew if she would need anything he could offer; it seemed unlikely that he could assist her at all. Once his shift was complete, Eclipse asked if he carried a knife or a stone, and he shook his head mutely. He did not wear clothes or carry bags, and on this particular trip, hadn't intended to stop and make fire. Upon examining the flint, he handed it back to her, deciding he would definitely find one of his own.

He carefully blew on the kindling, watching the spark flicker and waver with uncertainty. He held his breath until it blazed again, a little larger, and carefully huffed more air onto the fragile thing. Soon a merry blaze was dancing, and he glanced up with a genuine smile, pleased to have successfully coaxed fire into existence. He couldn't wait to recreate the effort once he returned home, practicing in the old fireplace in his family's house. Once winter came, it would be in use again, and by then he hoped to be fully capable of tending to it.

Hati paid rapt attention to everything Eclipse did, her actions telling him everything he needed to know. It was a wonderful learning experience for the younger wolfdog, not to mention a wonderful meal. He would be sure to thank Eclipse of Cercatori d'Arte for imparting her knowledge, and maybe someday he could return the favor and cook for her. Of course, he would need a lot of practice before that day.

Table by Cait!
Hati Catori

Freiherr (NPC)
Miyu

Dead Topics