theres something about the way you shiver

POSTED: Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:58 pm

As they rode the flowers loomed like frightful questions against the cloud spun sky – each broad leaf swaying gently in the breeze. Even at this distance Mateo could feel his nostrils twitching with the sickly sweet scent of their pollen, and he sneezed sharply as Naji guided her horse with her knees. Qima was snorting and tossing her head, the silver whiskers dashed along her velveteen muzzle twitching with fear.

Ombra was stamping her feet, each stride of her gait stilted and uncertain.

Mateo felt the skin along his arms prickle, and he rumbled softly – an unusual sound which had Naji turning in her saddle to peer at him. ”What is wrong?” Her eyes were swimming strangely, and Mateo pulled on Ombras reigns. ”Something is wrong. I can feel it.” The Jackal peered out along the swaying grasses and inhaled – the giant flowers casting long shadows through the field. From here they seemed harmless, but they rose and rose through the sky unlike anything Mateo had ever seen.

”There’s nothing-“ Suddenly Qima trumpeted, bucking forward and stealing the woman's words from her mouth as she charged through the clearing and bucked the woman from her back. "Naji!"

But it was too late.

Qima was panting - kicking her heels high into the air as she spun and sprinted past nervous Ombra and her rider. Ombra trembled, and when Mateo attempted to spur her forward she remained unmoving, her head low with fear. The whites of her eyes were showing and the moment he dismounted she was off - sprinting after her companion with a wheedling cry.

From here the grasses made seeing where Naji had fallen difficult. Mateo ran through the fronds, pushing sharp blades of grass with his hands and shouting for Naji each step of the way. The scent was stronger now, and he covered his mouth to cough and spew.

He found the place where Naji had fallen. The grass was folded and crushed from the weight of her, the earth disturbed by her claws. "Naji?" He shouted, tipping back his head to bark and yowl - but the clouds were coming, the strange sensation creeping along the nape of his neck.

He caught sight of her suddenly as the breeze changed direction and realized she was walking away from him. She was walking toward the sea and a dangerous cliffside, each stumbling step taking her closer and closer to the edge.

"Naji!"

For anyone!

Amanda
Luperci

POSTED: Sun May 06, 2018 11:51 am

Despite her innate fear of the monstrous flowers, despite the very real danger that the posed, Thyri returned to the place where they sprouted and glowered at them in wonder.

They were deadly, these alien things that had no right or reason to be. Wherever they had come from, it seemed to the wheaten Dawnbringer they could only be from the doing of Loki himself. The Norse god of mischief and trickery was also the God of Fire, and Thyri wondered if the plants could be taken down by the ravenous hunger of flame. Her brows creased above unblinking jade eyes. Or perhaps that was just what Loki wanted them to try, only to have the entire coast and surrounding forest engulfed in a rampant firestorm.

Tugging hesitantly at the base of her ears, Thyri hovered on the edge of where the flowers grew. She was far enough away that the sickly sweet scent of their nectar did not fully affect her, but close enough that she could observe their enormity. Besides thoughts of how to destroy them, Thyri also wondered how she could use them. What sorts of healing properties did they hide? Or were they, in fact, deadly to ingest? Maybe, she thought, they acted more as she knew certain other types of drugs did: giving Luperci hallucinations or otherworldly feelings.

A cry within the midst of the flowers jerked her abruptly from her thoughts and, lifting her ears and scanning her eyes ahead of her. Her heart thumped and she listened hard. Around her neck, she had fashioned a handkerchief out of an old cloth – one of the many things that she had taken away from her encounter with Arthur and Merlin during her own rescue from the flowers – and she lifted her hand to it now, prepared. The moment the second shout reached her ears, Thyri secured the cloth around her nose and launched herself forward.

"Hello?" she cried out, looking for the owner of the voice. Despite the cloth over her nose, she could feel that the power of the flowers' magic was not fully dampened. She looked around and, out of her periphery, saw a shape moving toward the cliffs. Thyri gasped and moved quickly toward her, stretching her arm out to catch her. Would she be too late? "No! Don't!" she cried fearfully. "Stop!"

OOC: I hope it's okay Thyri crashes in to try and help. Please let me know if anything is no bueno. <3

[WC — 392]

don't leave this world to me
Cour des Miracles
Chambellan
Mandi
Ægishjálmr: Helm of Awe
S K J A L D M Æ R
trouble is a friend

POSTED: Mon May 07, 2018 7:29 pm

There was still so much of the world that Mateo didn’t understand. Naji seemed to know a great number of things and handled the world of Nova Scotia all in her easy stride. She always told him about the beginning of all things in that voice that was like a song – and he wondered how it was that she had survived for so long as a slave beneath Arena traders. Mateo found that he loved the woman as he had his mother, Emiliana, and that with each passing day he was becoming more and more attached.

Naji was wonderful – and had taught him more in their short time together than he ever had in Onuba.

He fingered the dagger as he chased her, his long ears plastered back against his head. He had never seen her so absent minded, and he chased her as if she was a ghost flitting through the grass. ”Naji!” He was crying after her, his doggish bark echoing about the oceans waves, ”What are you doing?! Come back!” But she was ignoring him, her long pointed face angled towards the horizon.

It was all so strange, and he could feel his chest tightening as he ran.

She was running too - but everything was happening too slowly.

Suddenly there was a golden woman snatching at the Jackal, her pale hands snatching at the womans robes and tugging her to safety. Mateo was barking and yowling like a savage animal - tugging the leather satchel into place as he bounded toward them.

Naji was blinking as if she was waking from a long sleep, her usually stern expression languid with confusion. She coughed, her warm colored eyes finally taking in the scarred woman that towered over her. "What... happened?"

Mateo was panting heavily, leaning over Naji to inspect her with great concern. "Dios Naji, you scared me."

Then he looked to Thyri - this glorious warrior of a woman who had rescued his friend.

"T-Thank you."

Of course!!

Amanda
Luperci

POSTED: Thu May 10, 2018 11:45 am

It was the sound of his voice that guided her, but it was the sight of the woman at the cliffs that drove her.

Thyri ran, calling out loudly. She thought of Merlin and Arthur, and of how their words had sounded so dreamy and distant in her ears while she was under the flowers' spell. It was doubtful, the Dawnbringer thought, that the woman had any understanding of what was happening. She was under Loki's control and Loki was tricking her, pulling her to the edge with visions of promises and beauty and only Odin knew what else.

She reached out, her pale fingers stretching. When she closed them, she was surprised to feel bunches of cloth against her flesh. But it was all the encouragement she needed. Quickly, furiously, frantically, Thyri pulled and tugged on the cloth, clawing and grasping at any solid purchase she could find of the woman or her clothing, just so long as she could drag her away from the cliffs and her death.

Penetrating the cloth fitting around her nose, the sweet smell of the flowers seeped into her nose and made her head swim. She had to get out of here, away from this place of trickery and death. So she pulled and she dragged and she kept on going until the spell the flowers commanded fell away and Thyri was able to think more clearly again.

Panting and trembling, the Courtier ripped the cloth from her nose so she could breathe and looked down at the woman she had managed, somehow, to save. She had not realized the man until he leaned over her and replied to her sleepy question. Slumping backwards onto her rump, Thyri watched them as she attempted to control her pounding heart.

"She's lucky – you're both lucky," she replied at length after giving him a nod of acknowledgement. Taking in a steadying breath, Thyri blew it out again and the hair above her eyes billowed in the gust. Her shoulders relaxed. "I didn't know about them either, not until a short time ago, but those flowers are dangerous. Be sure to stay far away from them."

Thyri considered the two of them a moment, and then said, "My name is Thyri Dawnbringer, from Cour des Miracles. Who are you?"

[WC — 386]

Cour des Miracles
Chambellan
Mandi
S K J A L D M Æ R
trouble is a friend

POSTED: Mon May 21, 2018 8:55 pm

Mateo had never seen anything like her. The members of their tribe were all warriors in their own way – Tiamat was a force to be reckoned with, Rahab a whirler of a furious staff. Thyri was covered in scars, they wove their way across her wolfish muzzle and along the curves of her muscular shoulder.

She was resplendently golden, much like the dots of pollen that floated high above them.

The poet was star struck, and sucked in a breath as Naji shook her head – clearing the clouds from her vision. ”Shukraan,” She whispered, the long sleeves of her robe tangled around her elbows, ”I thought I saw...” Mateos thick brows rose and he tugged on the womans shoulder, ”You’re safe now Naji.”

He grinned, tugging on the longer fur on his chin, ”We are lucky.”

Naji coughed, gesturing for Mateos water skin so that she could tip it back and drink deeply.

”I am Mateo Salcedo.” He canted his head, ”What is the Cour des Miracles?” The mention of a court had his heart flutter just slightly – a strange reaction to a memory of a home across the sea.

<3

Amanda
Luperci

POSTED: Tue May 22, 2018 8:29 pm

Thyri was no poet. She had no knowledge of weaving words into whimsical wonderment, nor did she have an ounce of desire to learn. A physical creature, Thyri thrived when there was something that could be done tangibly – either by resolving a situation with her hands or by puzzling out a problem with her brain.

So while Mateo may have been comparing her shade of gold to the spores of pollen that floated in the air, Thyri saw only pollen and swatted at them with the back of her hand.

Glancing at the woman, Thyri could hardly hear the words that fell from her mouth. As Mateo passed his water skin to her, she wondered what they meant to her, and if he understood her. There was something intimate to her about the pair of them; she thought that he problem did.

"It's a pleasure to meet you, though I wish that it had been under better circumstances." Rolling her shoulders, Thyri sat up a little straighter and look out in the distance towards home. "A pack that I call my home. It rests along the coast to the east." She looked back at the woman. "She should rest for a time, though it would be wise to move farther away from them." Thyri gestured toward the flowers.

"What is your name?" she asked the woman directly. Then, to them both, she asked, "Do you have a pack?" Do you have people who can take care of you? was left unasked.

OOC: That Despi art! <3

[WC — 252]

Cour des Miracles
Chambellan
Mandi
S K J A L D M Æ R
trouble is a friend

POSTED: Sun May 27, 2018 2:42 am

Naji had become a pseudo mother to many of them - and she checked on the different members of the Tribe as if they were her children, ensuring that they had enough to eat or that their tents were in good standing. More than once she had shaken a hand in Mateos direction for the state he kept his affairs - his tent was always a myriad of parchment and quills, items collected and scavenged that he thought were beautiful and rare. He knew nothing of value - not in the way his father had, and instead coveted the beauty in all things.

Something that Naji had slowly grown to accept.

She drank from the waterskin for a long time before wiping her mouth, offering it to the golden woman who crouched in the long swaying grass.

"They are dangerous." She hissed, rubbing the long point of her muzzle as if to clear her thoughts, "You are lucky it was not you Mateo."

She squeezed his arm, thanking him silently for his part in her rescue. "No pack, just a group of us travelling the coastline." Mateo brightened at mention of what he now considered his family, "Most of us came from Onuba - we set up camp as we need to. Naji and I have been out scouting." He drank, clicking his teeth, "Whats the Court like?"

Eeeee thank you! I love it <3

Amanda
Luperci

POSTED: Thu May 31, 2018 4:38 pm

Out of the corner of her eye, the woman who she had saved drank deeply from the waterskin and Thyri gave it little consideration. She was surprised, then, when the skin was offered silently to her. Turning her head gently, the wheaten Dawnbringer gave it a thoughtful look before reaching out and accepting it with a turn of her lips. "Thank you." She didn't realize how thirsty she was until the cool water pooled in her mouth and slid down her throat.

Despite her thirst, Thyri did not drink much. She didn't want to use up their resources, not when she had a pack a short trek from where they sat. Swallowing the last of the water in her mouth, she wiped her mouth with the back of her hand and offered the skin to Mateo.

Canting her head, Thyri looked between the two loners. "Are you suggesting that that would have been worse?" she asked with a quizzical frown. Was this woman disregarding her own worth? She didn't quite understand what Naji was implying with that statement.

She perked quickly when Onuba was mentioned. "I know someone from that place – Onuba," she said. "She lives in the Court. Her name is Odalis." Thyri smiled, and lifted her eyes upwards when she thought of the Court. "Regal and cultured," she said after a brief moment, looking at Naji and Mateo again. "The Court is an open place, and many who find they have nowhere else to go find comfort there." Blowing a stray strand of wheaten hair from her eyes, she added, "If you grow tired of being without a pack, you can find the Court along the Shattered Coast."

[WC — 283]

Cour des Miracles
Chambellan
Mandi
S K J A L D M Æ R
trouble is a friend

POSTED: Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:26 pm

Naji cleared her throat, ”I protect him.”

It was all that she need to say, but she saw the way that the boys ears lowered slightly at the remark. He was learning – he was much better than he had been with his dagger, and slowly he was understanding the lessons that this place doled out to him. There were many.

”You do?” Instantly he was considering that perhaps at last he had found his sister, sweet Lilia, but instead it was a different name – one that had him blinking with surprise. ”Odalis is here?” He glanced at Naji who recognized the name only when he added the last name, ”I am travelling with her cousin – Tiamat Amaranthe.”

”The Amaranthes are held in high esteem.” She smiled as she straightened, Mateo bracing her shoulder so that she could glance at Thyri, ”They saved me once.”

”Would your Court mind if we visited?” Mateos tail was wagging hopefully.

Amanda
Luperci

POSTED: Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:26 am

Thyri considered Naji's response with a softening expression. Her brows relaxed and acceptance settled in her eyes. Finally, she nodded. Indeed, it was all that the the woman needed to say. The shieldmaiden understood the necessity to protect others perhaps better than she understood anything else in this strange and dangerous world.

"You know Odalis?" Strange and dangerous, yes, but also somehow oddly small this world could be! Amusement and bewilderment quirked her lips and, shaking her head with the coincidence of it all, Thyri said, "I don't think that Odalis has ever mentioned Tiamat to me, but she did tell me a little bit about Onuba." To hear that the Amaranthes were so important in this other land, the Dawnbringer turned her eyes to Naji and pursed her lips thoughtfully.

She looked back at Mateo. "That decision is not mine to make," she replied apologetically. "But I would be happy to vouch for you, as I'm sure Odalis would, too." She smiled. "I'll speak with our Reine and Archiduchessa. You're welcome to come by the borders whenever you'd like to see about visiting the Court." That was, if they didn't want to make the trip there now. If they did, Thyri was prepared to take them.

OOC: We could maybe start wrapping this up if you want. <3

[WC — 214]

Cour des Miracles
Chambellan
Mandi
S K J A L D M Æ R
trouble is a friend

Dead Topics